Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2010, 08:36   #91
BHPian
 
parimal_g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 435
Thanked: 174 Times
Default

@praful,
If i remember correctly the alternator costs someting in the range of 4-5k not more than that, check with TSC, or show to any good local mech they try to repair the same, as authorised service center knows only one thing, replace.
Or check what is the make and buy it directly from the vendor.
parimal_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 12:14   #92
BHPian
 
praful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 977
Thanked: 436 Times
Default

I called up all the FIAT service center's in Bangalore and all have quoted me 9.5K and they don't have the part in stock.

Also got to learn that part prices have now taken a upward jump as most parts are now imported and harder to find.

Still waiting for a little bit more information to come in before I give the Bosch Car Service guys a go ahead for replacing the alternator assembly.
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 19:25   #93
BHPian
 
krish3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cochin/Bangalore
Posts: 608
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Praful- Check the wiring as well. That could be a problem. Alternator replacement will cost you a lot. And by the time you get it, the wiring check can be done.

Its true that as the car gets older, the maintainence goes up, but you make that up by not paying the initial purchase amount.
krish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 11:04   #94
Senior - BHPian
 
neoonwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,651
Thanked: 599 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
I called up all the FIAT service center's in Bangalore and all have quoted me 9.5K and they don't have the part in stock.

Also got to learn that part prices have now taken a upward jump as most parts are now imported and harder to find.

Still waiting for a little bit more information to come in before I give the Bosch Car Service guys a go ahead for replacing the alternator assembly.
As everybody suggested, check for the wiring. Also, you can check with Kava Automobiles in Mumbai (Near Grant road I guess) for the price. He has lots of FIAT stuff with him. I shall PM you his contact details.
neoonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 19:25   #95
BHPian
 
praful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 977
Thanked: 436 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
Praful- Check the wiring as well. That could be a problem. Alternator replacement will cost you a lot. And by the time you get it, the wiring check can be done.

Its true that as the car gets older, the maintainence goes up, but you make that up by not paying the initial purchase amount.
Yup, figure that out now. Works out to be the same of now. Next car will not be a pre-owned one for sure.

The alternator was physically opened up and checked, there were 2 parts not functioning properly amongst the 4 major parts that the alternator is made up of. For replacing just the specific parts, the waiting period involved is close to 6weeks and costs almost 80% of the total cost of the alternator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
As everybody suggested, check for the wiring. Also, you can check with Kava Automobiles in Mumbai (Near Grant road I guess) for the price. He has lots of FIAT stuff with him. I shall PM you his contact details.
Thanks for the number. I immediately did give them a call.

Results were shocked, he's quoted a price of 5K as opposed to 9.7K from TASS/Bosch Car Service. I must have asked him atleast 5 times, but has confirmed that the part is genuine and brand new. Apparently its been picked up from a brand new engine.

Lets see, my father if he can find time will go over personally to check out the part. If he feels its genuine, he will be pick it up and courier it to me.
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 19:52   #96
BHPian
 
krish3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cochin/Bangalore
Posts: 608
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Even if you include the courier charges, it works out a lot cheaper. Thats a nice option.
krish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 14:15   #97
BHPian
 
praful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 977
Thanked: 436 Times
Default

When I bought my car, the bonnet heat/sound proofing material was not there.

Any issues if I continue running without it?

If there are any issues on running without it or some really good benefits of running with it, please let me know.

AFAIK, last time I checked with TASS, they quoted about 1.8K.

Also the Selina synthetic that my car is running on is now close to 11K kms old. I've been told that it usually lasts 12-15K depending on running conditions. In the past 8K kms that I've owned the car, its been about 75% highways and 25% city use.

Any recommendations on the engine oil change interval? And I'm pretty satisfied with Selenia's performance, does anyone else recommend anything else?
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2010, 11:28   #98
BHPian
 
praful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 977
Thanked: 436 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
When I bought my car, the bonnet heat/sound proofing material was not there.

Any issues if I continue running without it?

If there are any issues on running without it or some really good benefits of running with it, please let me know.

AFAIK, last time I checked with TASS, they quoted about 1.8K.

Also the Selina synthetic that my car is running on is now close to 11K kms old. I've been told that it usually lasts 12-15K depending on running conditions. In the past 8K kms that I've owned the car, its been about 75% highways and 25% city use.

Any recommendations on the engine oil change interval? And I'm pretty satisfied with Selenia's performance, does anyone else recommend anything else?
Apart from the two questions mentioned above, I have a few more never ending queries.

The car is nearing 30K now, clock is at 29.4K at present. Post 30K are there any major things I need to look out for whilst servicing it?

Engine Decarb? Etc?

Off late with all the bad roads that Silver Surfer has had to endure there are few rattles introduced. Some are from the front suspension, i.e. a Loose vibrating plate kind of sound which can be heard when going at slow speeds over pockmarked roads. Is this a common issue?

The next rattle set is from the interiors, i.e. dashboard and door padding. Does TASS fix these issues?

PS: Following the 7.5K service interval is the best idea right? My last service was some 6K kms back back and I've done about 3 long distance trips since then. So was wondering when would be the best bet to go in for a service.

EDIT: Did a small 720Kms trip this weekend to Coorg and back over 2 days. Car performed brilliantly, had a dose of bad roads here and there though :(. Got 13.8 and 14 Kmpl for the two tank fulls. Which is decent considering I was trying to keep up with the "big boys" at times.

Last edited by praful : 2nd November 2010 at 11:31.
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2010, 18:15   #99
BHPian
 
praful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 977
Thanked: 436 Times
Default

Got the ICE Upgrade on the Palio finally. Replaced the 5 year old Sony setup completely.

Here's what all I got :-
Kenwood 7046BT HU
Rockford Fosgate Prime 6.5" Components
MB Quart Rear Ovals

Here are some pics from the install...

My Silver Surfer : Palio 1.2 NV Sport-imag0166.jpg

My Silver Surfer : Palio 1.2 NV Sport-imag0169.jpg

My Silver Surfer : Palio 1.2 NV Sport-imag0176.jpg

My Silver Surfer : Palio 1.2 NV Sport-imag0177.jpg

My Silver Surfer : Palio 1.2 NV Sport-imag0178.jpg

My Silver Surfer : Palio 1.2 NV Sport-imag0181.jpg

My Silver Surfer : Palio 1.2 NV Sport-imag0196.jpg

My Silver Surfer : Palio 1.2 NV Sport-imag0180.jpg
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2010, 22:13   #100
Distinguished - BHPian
 
nkrishnap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,494
Thanked: 4,110 Times
Default

How much did you end up paying for the ICE upgrade including installation charges.
nkrishnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 08:57   #101
BHPian
 
praful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 977
Thanked: 436 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
How much did you end up paying for the ICE upgrade including installation charges.
For all the ICE components+wiring+MDF tray/rings+installation = 22K

I still have the all the stuff from the older setup, will put that back in whenever I sell this.

Last edited by praful : 15th November 2010 at 08:59.
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 10:03   #102
BHPian
 
praful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 977
Thanked: 436 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Got the ICE Upgrade on the Palio finally. Replaced the 5 year old Sony setup completely.

Here's what all I got :-
Kenwood 7046BT HU
Rockford Fosgate Prime 6.5" Components
MB Quart Rear Ovals
A few changes to this setup, instead running a JL Audio TR690 Txi. Just love the punch of bass in this setup now!

My Silver Surfer : Palio 1.2 NV Sport-imag0197.jpg

My Silver Surfer : Palio 1.2 NV Sport-imag0199.jpg
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 11:35   #103
Senior - BHPian
 
neoonwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,651
Thanked: 599 Times
Default

Nice additions Praful. howz the car performing? And have you got the servicing done?
neoonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 11:50   #104
BHPian
 
praful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 977
Thanked: 436 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Nice additions Praful. howz the car performing? And have you got the servicing done?
Car is performing great. No issues and hitches so far. Waiting for another 1K before I take it for a service and an oil change.
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 19:52   #105
BHPian
 
praful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 977
Thanked: 436 Times
Default

Being an avid biker myself I never thought I'd make and statement like... "Damn those dumb bikers!!!"...

Had my first mishap in 8 months of ownership of my Silver Surfer. Was behind a car at an intersection and I was in the process of taking a right turn. A biker was coming in the opposite direction at an highspeed, I could not see him approach, neither he could see me take the turn. Thankfully I was taking a really slow turn I managed to react and swerve back into my lane. But still managed to nick the biker. he went into a slide and gifted me my first heart break with the Palio.

My Silver Surfer : Palio 1.2 NV Sport-55137_10150098637096282_657001281_7850804_6309781_o.jpg

I thank my stars that the biker was not injured badly else things would have gone in a completely different direction. Took a quote from TASS today, decided to get the bumper replaced, rather than getting it fixed coz heat treating and putting it back into place is not going to make the bumper look like before. Plus its actually working out cheaper to replace the bumper and claim insurance for it.

And this was on the day that I was getting ideas of selling my Palio off for a 1.6!
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Silver Surfer: Volkswagen Vento TDi Highline madnish30 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 30 24th January 2016 14:22
My first 'Silver Surfer' - The Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta in Sleek Silver Yashodeep Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 13 11th November 2010 14:04


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:25.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks