Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 25th May 2010, 16:14   #16

Default Day 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Congratulations Marky. Since you post was pretty much a review of your new Grande MK-II, I've moved it out from the "I booked my car" thread, and into a new one.
Thank you. I will try my utmost to keep this review a continuous one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Congratulations mate. I think accessories are always dealer fitted and not factory fitted. Cars generally leave the factory only with the trim level specified and approved by ARAI. All other accessories are dealer fitted. You cannot generally customize a car at the factory.
Thank you for this information. Why I requested them was because ages ago, when we booked our Maruti Omni, we did get a few things “factory-fitted”. Maybe that was a term referring to “fitted at delivery”.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@Marky - Congrats on your new ride.
One more negatives was the bumpy last row seating, but somehow I felt Innova was better ………………...
One more important factor - the NVH is simply superb; ………………..
Thanks heaps. I am continuing to love driving it more and more each day!!
I only travelled in the last row on one occasion. Had my laptop in my lap hooked to the rear lighter point behind the gear shift! Love this feature. I found the third row very comfortable. My personal experience is it is roomier than the Innova. The seats on the Innova seemed to be better though. Also, at the knees my legs were angled comfortably, unlike the Xylo where I thought my knees were way too high (I am 5’ 10½“).
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Congrats Marky. It looks so nice. Have a safe/happy motoring Prem.
Thank you!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
Congrats for your new ride, Marky. I believe this is the first review of Grande MK2 on the forum. Looks good in black. Alloys would make it look even much better.
Just my thoughts. Got them done. Please see picture. Hope you like them too! They are the first and only accessory I have put so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
Congratulations on the new ride Marky. ……………………additions like new interior, ABS, 4X4, etc. this could very well give good competition to innovas and xylos. I think it is a good move by TATAs to refine this instead of calling it quits on this product line.
I think the one single factor holding this vehicle back is its past reputation. It is a Huge improvement over the SUMO of the past. In fact this is a different level. I was all for the new Safari, but I saw this alongside the Safari at the showroom. A quick spot analysis made me seriously consider this one. I then compared with the others in its class- Xylo and Innova – finally optng for this one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Congrats on the Sumo Grande. Did you consider the Xylo and Innova when picking up the Sumo Grande
Thank you. Yes, I did. Made up a detailed comparison chart in fact. Then opted for this. Main reasons: - Price (VFM); manoeuvrability; inside space; drivability. The last point was the deciding factor. The turning radius, the responsiveness and the manoeuvrability were better than the others, in my honest and knowledge-limited opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
congrats on the vehicle.
The minuses and pluses have been nicely written.
Lets forget about dealer and talk about the vehicle. How is the legroom for the last row ? How effective is the AC for the last row ? Is there a vent for the last row passengers ? also, I guess the rear footstep is missing, is it not on this version ?
Thank you. The legroom in all three rows is good. Yes, the second and third row have AC vents in the ceiling. Please see pictures. The rear footstep is not required as the seats are front facing and access is through the middle row.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
Hi Congratulations and welcome to the Grande MKII club.. I have done more than 9000km as of today, mostly on the Tamil nadu highways and I am sure you will enjoy the drives……….., was solved in the first visit..
Thank you. Will keep us all updated here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
Congrats on your new truck. Black colour has hidden the extra girth and made the Grande look good. How about some interior pics.
Thanks. Hey, I like the extra girth (runs in the family anyway). Have posted a few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sriny_blr View Post
Congrats Marky on your new Sparkling Black Metal
After seeing the photos, i just realized that if the 'TATA' logos were removed one may keep wondering which 'MAKE' is this Vehicle, it looks so unlikely as a TATA product. It looks entirely different and has no resemblance to any existing TATA vehicle (its just IMO guys!)
Thank you. Those were my thoughts when I first saw it at the dealers. Then the price difference vis-à-vis the Safari came in and then the other factors. Made sense to me to go in for this one.

A few pictures attached to amplify my views.
Attached Thumbnails
My Tata Grande MK-II ownership review-1.jpg  

My Tata Grande MK-II ownership review-2.jpg  

My Tata Grande MK-II ownership review-3.jpg  

My Tata Grande MK-II ownership review-4.jpg  

My Tata Grande MK-II ownership review-5.jpg  

My Tata Grande MK-II ownership review-6.jpg  

My Tata Grande MK-II ownership review-img_1438.jpg  

Marky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 13:52   #17
Senior - BHPian

nice pictures. It really looks like a roof AC, direct from roof like on top of your head.
tanwaramit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 14:17   #18
BHPian

Congrats and welcome to Sumo Grande Club

Third Row seating - I have traveled both in Grande and Innova, Grande feels much comfortable as it can easily accommodate three person but the ride is bumpy compared to Innova where seating in third row gives much smoother ride.

Perhaps TATA need to work on suspension. Mine is older one not MK-II. So can anyone update me with how is the new suspension in MK-ll Model.

IMO its the only TATA vehicle which has Horizontal Back Lights and remaining one's every knows.

Last edited by driving_smartly : 26th May 2010 at 14:19. Reason: Additions
driving_smartly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 15:54   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky View Post
Just my thoughts. Got them done. Please see picture. Hope you like them too! They are the first and only accessory I have put so far.
Congrats, and wish you a million miles of safe and happy driving!

Those alloys look fantastic and suit the vehicle to a T! Do you mind sharing the make, model number & price?

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 16:12   #20

Default From Rajanikanth, another grande mk2 owner

Quote:
Hi All,

Am thrilled to inform you all that I got my Grande Mk II from the delr yesterday. After a few initial hitches which is Tata, everything else went smoothly. I had test driven the Grnade MkII and a few other options I was comparing. Based on that, here are a few points.

The Minuses first.

(1.) Plastics. It is amazing how one of the largest car makers in the country cannot get this right. Personally I feel, if Tata looks after this aspect, its satisfaction level will improve manifold. Admittedly, there is a vast improvement over the 2003 Safari that I drive at present, but the tacky finish is omnipresent. Clipped parts not setting properly, dangerously flimsy feel to others, Short-cut solutions to yet others. And one nagging vibration part in initial RPM in the lower gears (1st and 2nd).

(2.) Feedback "Improvements". This is even more amazing. eg. the middle seat cupholders were in a plastic foldaway between the front two seats on the vehicle I test drove. On my car, it wouldn't pen!! Though the small ledge etc is all there. I was told that there were a number of complaints of this part becoming loose and falling open in the vehicle. So Tatas have decided to screw it permanently shut!!

(3.) Compromised Inspection. I will not know whether at the factory or the dealers premises. I had a 3" X 2" deep scratch on the front bumper near the sump guard. I had two finger marks on the driver side door - hold your breath - UNDER the top gloss finish of the paint!! Which means that during the painting job, which is supposed to be done in controlled atmosphere, someone with grease laden hands walked to the vehicle, touched the door, left smudges and left. The smudges were not even wiped and the paint job was finished ON the smudge marks!!!!! I had a number of small scratches all around the vehicle. The front left door skirting (rubbing bars) had been stuck shoddily with superglue/Elfy etc. Obviously the double tape or the clips are not working and on a BRAND NEW vehicle came apart. Who ever discovered it, decided in their wisdom to use quick setting glue on PAINT and plastic!!!!!

(4.) I had requested for a factory fitted bull guard. It was not done. The dealer tried to fit one themselves, and could not!! It jutted out awkwardly at least 6 inches away from the vehicle. Nowhere close to how the picture in the brochure shows it – nice and snug. In fact I think this is what left the deep scratch in the front bumper also.

(5.) I had also requested for a factory fitted rear-assist. This was fitted, but does not perform as I was told. It beeps the moment your apply reverse and randomly after that. The less than 40cm distance alarm goes off even when you are three times that distance and then stops. Basically it alarms the driver into a lot more careful driving and in that it is successful in its role, but it is definitely not what it claims to be.

(6.) I did not want body coloured bumpers and the indicators in the OVRMs. I even agreed for Tata to do it at no discount – which meant I would pay for these but definitely did not want them on my vehicle. “Not possible” I was told. If I chose GX I had to like these features that I positively detest.

And Now the Pluses.

(1.) Huge – H U G E inside space.

(2.) Very Very High on the “King of the Road” factor. Way ahead of Xylo or Innova or even the Scorpio.

(3.) The seat I thought was a bit small, but I found to my peasant surprise there is a lot of “give” in them and the seat actually engulfs you! A very big advantage.

(4.) Drives like a dream!! Honestly, it does. I was zipping through the city and the highway (took her for a night spin) without realising I had touched 80 KMPH!!

(5.)Very responsive – definitely better than the Xylo, slightly better than Innova.

(6.) No strain on the engine when you start out after stops etc.

(7.) Excellent gear shift. The gears fall in place if I may use the term “Makhan ka mafik”!!

(8.) Good AC, Good Music System, with IPOD connectivity though the interface for IPOD could be better.

(9.) Money’s worth.

Will revert with more feedback in a couple of weeks, if required.

Cheers,

Marky
Hi Marky, that was a nice missive on your vehicle. I agree with all the plus points you made. I too own a 3 months-old grande mk2. I am from Bangalore, by the way. Took it for a long drive recently. Drove about 3700 kms covering Ujjain and Jabalpur. No issues with driving. Went for about 22 kms inside a forest stretch mostly on stone, mud and pebbles with patches of asphalting between Ujjain and Jabalpur which was supposed to be a proper road. Here I realised the comfort we get while driving on SUV/MUV on such bullock-cart-friendly roads. I am sharing herewith some of the photos I have uploaded in picasa. See the link: Picasa Web Albums - Rajanikanth - Our tata sumo...

Bye
Rajanikanth
Rajanikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 17:11   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajanikanth View Post
I must say that Grande with the side claddings looks superb. Not too sure of the bull gaurd though. Nice pictures. I am sure the standard Safari design alloys will increase teh drool quotient.
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 17:12   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajanikanth View Post
Hi Marky, that was a nice missive on your vehicle. I agree with all the plus points you made. I too own a 3 months-old grande mk2. I am from Bangalore, by the way. Took it for a long drive recently. Drove about 3700 kms covering Ujjain and Jabalpur. No issues with driving. Went for about 22 kms inside a forest stretch mostly on stone, mud and pebbles with patches of asphalting between Ujjain and Jabalpur which was supposed to be a proper road. Here I realised the comfort we get while driving on SUV/MUV on such bullock-cart-friendly roads. I am sharing herewith some of the photos I have uploaded in picasa. See the link: Picasa Web Albums - Rajanikanth - Our tata sumo...

Bye
Rajanikanth

@ Rajanikanth Good pictures of your Grande why not post them on team-bhp itself. i know black colour requires lot of maintenance but you have kept your Grande very clean and neat it looks super cool.
driving_smartly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 00:17   #23

Default What Model is the Alpine

Hi Marky, Congrats on your buy. I'll be taking delivery of my Grande GX in a couple of week's time, I was wondering if you could let me know what is the model no. of the Alpine that came along with urs.. does it sound great, I'm planning to put up an 8" sub on the rear door provision, would like to know the model no. to proceed.

Thanks!!
kanna.sridharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 22:24   #24
BHPian

Default Re: My Tata Grande MK-II ownership review

It would be great if you can update the thread with your continuing experience. There are very few reviews here to make more informed decisions. What are the common niggles and good points that you have observed over the period of time!
ambujlal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2011, 20:56   #25
BHPian

Default Re: My Tata Grande MK-II ownership review

Hi Marky,

Great to read your review of your Grande. It's over a year now that you have the car. Could you post the problems you have faced till date with their solutions ? Can you let us know the fuel averages the car returns in different climates and situations ?

Sandy
lifebuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2012, 21:57   #26
BHPian

Default Re: Day 5

Quote:
Thank you. I will try my utmost to keep this review a continuous one.

Hi Marky, thank you for the excellent basic review. I am considering to buy a MUV for my weekend drives and as a second car to supplement my existing Vista.

I did like the Sumo Grande Mk2, but I had a few questions about its long term service costs and reliability. Can you please update us on your ownership experience!
torquecurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 09:25   #27
BHPian

Default Re: Day 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
Hi Marky, thank you for the excellent basic review. I am considering to buy a MUV for my weekend drives and as a second car to supplement my existing Vista.

I did like the Sumo Grande Mk2, but I had a few questions about its long term service costs and reliability. Can you please update us on your ownership experience!
Hi,
I have been owing a Grande MKII for the last 2.5 years and have given my feedback in:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...rm-review.html (Sumo Grande MKII GX long term review).

Hope that helps you in your decision making process
arulpeem is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote