Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2010, 10:53   #31
Senior - BHPian
 
gemithomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 2,364
Thanked: 136 Times
Default

Thats the worst i've seen till now. Most of the first few batches had uneven gap between the boot lid and the body on both sides. How is it n your car.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 21:57   #32
BHPian
 
Deep Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Udupi
Posts: 594
Thanked: 231 Times
Default

The gap doesnt feel uneven in my car

Braking distance : Fiat punto 1.3 diesel - 49.6m, Ford Figo 1.4 diesel - 47.9m(lifted from Smartcat's thread on hatchbacks). However the punto's brakes felt better, there is an urgency to act, better bite. I have not banged anybody on the Figo though!

ORVMS : "The objects you see are closer than you think" ones are irritating and little tough getting used to. My Alto had simple plain mirrors where I could assess distances easily.
Deep Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 15:40   #33
BHPian
 
carfanatic007's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 207
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya116 View Post
6.39 OTR man thats steep taxing compared to 5.85 in kerala with extended warranty.
How did you choose your color?
Raod tax is bloody high in Karnataka

Deep Blue congrats on the new car, looks good
carfanatic007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 19:49   #34
BHPian
 
carfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Udupi
Posts: 559
Thanked: 178 Times
Default

Hey deepblue congrats on your new car!!great to know someone in udupi has one!!in fact very few members from udupi!!where exactly in udupi do you stay?from the pics i think its kinnimulky?!
carfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 20:09   #35
Senior - BHPian
 
lamborghini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,636
Thanked: 1,262 Times
Default

Hey deepblue,

congratulations on your Figo. She looks beautiful in Silver!
I am glad to hear that you are enjoying her.

About the poor quality parts - Well, an excuse can be that this is the first time that Ford is mass producing cars in India, so one can cut them some slack. However, given how everything is automated in the factory, allowing for little chances, if any, of poor quality build, I would recommend you show these to the Sales person, and make sure it is rectified in the first service.

Here's a quick question - What average are you expecting from the Figo?
13kmpl seems quite decent, but I am sure once you get used to the car, it should improve.

I recently got back to Mumbai and drove the fiesta after a long time in the States, during which I drove a Petrol Galant V6, and I understand how it feels to switch to a diesel. I see myself revving the engine a lot more than required. However, I did get used to the car within the week that I drove her for.
Give it some time, switch gears at 2000-2500 rpm, and you should see an improvement in the FE and driveability.
P.S. - Unlike in a manual, where you will shift to second gear just as the car has started gaining momentum, in a diesel you need to wait for a bit. Specially given that the car is powerless before the turbo kicks in, as it is only powered by a 1.4L engine. Typically, downshift when you are at around 1750-2000 rpm in thrid, and you shouldn't face any difficulties.
lamborghini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 21:55   #36
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 171
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Give it some time, switch gears at 2000-2500 rpm, and you should see an improvement in the FE and driveability.
P.S. - Unlike in a manual, where you will shift to second gear just as the car has started gaining momentum, in a diesel you need to wait for a bit. Specially given that the car is powerless before the turbo kicks in, as it is only powered by a 1.4L engine. Typically, downshift when you are at around 1750-2000 rpm in thrid, and you shouldn't face any difficulties.
Can you please elaborate and provide some more details regarding when to change gears, both in terms of the speed and the turbo, as well as the rpm readings. Thanks for the tips.
Indizen010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 22:35   #37
BHPian
 
Deep Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Udupi
Posts: 594
Thanked: 231 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfanatic007 View Post
Raod tax is bloody high in Karnataka

Deep Blue congrats on the new car, looks good
Thanks. Comparing Road tax with other states makes you cry. Rubbing salt to the wound is the miserable roads. Better now around my town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak View Post
Hey deepblue congrats on your new car!!great to know someone in udupi has one!!in fact very few members from udupi!!where exactly in udupi do you stay?from the pics i think its kinnimulky?!
Thanks, Kinnimulky is right. Figo numbers in Udupi are increasing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Hey deepblue,

congratulations on your Figo. She looks beautiful in Silver!
I am glad to hear that you are enjoying her.

About the poor quality parts - Well, an excuse can be that this is the first time that Ford is mass producing cars in India, so one can cut them some slack. However, given how everything is automated in the factory, allowing for little chances, if any, of poor quality build, I would recommend you show these to the Sales person, and make sure it is rectified in the first service.

Here's a quick question - What average are you expecting from the Figo?
13kmpl seems quite decent, but I am sure once you get used to the car, it should improve.

I recently got back to Mumbai and drove the fiesta after a long time in the States, during which I drove a Petrol Galant V6, and I understand how it feels to switch to a diesel. I see myself revving the engine a lot more than required. However, I did get used to the car within the week that I drove her for.
Give it some time, switch gears at 2000-2500 rpm, and you should see an improvement in the FE and driveability.
P.S. - Unlike in a manual, where you will shift to second gear just as the car has started gaining momentum, in a diesel you need to wait for a bit. Specially given that the car is powerless before the turbo kicks in, as it is only powered by a 1.4L engine. Typically, downshift when you are at around 1750-2000 rpm in thrid, and you shouldn't face any difficulties.
Thanks for the wishes and advice. Still unable to decide whether the car is a he or she .
Planning to get all the bad bits done in first service.
FE seems to be improving.
I was well prepared by T-bhp (thanks to many figo ownership threads) to drive the Figo. My Alto did not have a tacho, now I am glued to the tacho all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indizen010 View Post
Can you please elaborate and provide some more details regarding when to change gears, both in terms of the speed and the turbo, as well as the rpm readings. Thanks for the tips.
Here is my understanding. Shift up at 2100-2200rpm so that I land at 1500rpm in the next gear which is within the turbo range. Though in the city, I have to shift up from 2nd to 3rd in slow traffic earlier at around 1900-2000rpm once the speed is above say 30-35kmph.On the incline, if the second gear is caught below or at 1000rpm, it is decidedly wheezy. So it is better to downshift early before the incline begins I feel. I try to reach the 2100rpm limit fairly slowly rather than stomp atleast 40-50% of the driving time. I dont know what effect these will have on FE. I am no technical expert, so experts please point out if anything is not right.



About FE
Filled her up today. Planning on a small trip to Kollur Mookambika temple before the school starts for my son and also Puja for the car at the Anegudde(Kumbashi, near Kundapur) Ganesha temple. I will be able to see how the car behaves on the highway.

I filled 30 ltrs at autocutoff and the tripmeter was reading 496kms which means an FE of 16.5kmpl. All town(except for 60km) driving with AC on all the time.
On filling, the DTE read 624kms based on which means FE of 13.8km/l.

I am happy as long as it atleast stays that much!

Last edited by Deep Blue : 29th May 2010 at 22:38.
Deep Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 23:02   #38
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: mysore
Posts: 13
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Congrats Deep Blue on your silver figo. Very much surprised to see the uneven panel gaps and overall finishing. Looks like the burgeoning list of figo is showing its strain on Ford's manufacturing. I guess they can be rectified on your first service. By the way how many days did you have to wait before taking delivery of your figo. I have booked mine on 15th of April and still waiting !!
wonderwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 04:42   #39
BHPian
 
Deep Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Udupi
Posts: 594
Thanked: 231 Times
Default

I have mentioned in my first post.Submitted the booking on 23rd April. Booking cheque cleared on 27th. Took delivery on 17th May. That would be 20 days?.
Mysore is also Cauvery Ford, isnt it?
By the way, I see it is your first post. Welcome to T-bhp. It is an incredible forum.
Deep Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 21:34   #40
BHPian
 
Deep Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Udupi
Posts: 594
Thanked: 231 Times
Default

Had a highway run today. Started early morning, so had the road to myself most of the time.

Reached a max speed of 110kmph, did not want to push further as I did not want to cross the 2500rpm limit in the run-in period. Also had a feeling that there is nothing much beyond. Mostly drove at 80-90kmph.

Handling & stability was a revelation.In the Alto, I was careful to carry speeds of 60kmph in the minor twisties in a two lane highway. In the Figo, I never felt any problem, in fact was resisting the temptation to push further. The cargo was too precious to risk!. 110kmph was not at all felt by my otherwise speed sensitive wife.Iam understanding handling better now. I am learning driving all over again!

Hardly any engine noise when cruising at 80-90kmph with a light foot on the pedal. Tyre noise seemed more.

Brakes are ok, could be better.How do I figure out whether ABS is working?

I retract my statement on AC as brilliant. When the outside gets hotter, I didnt find it any better than the Punto, only a little better than the Alto.I dont have tints.

My mother who has a back problem found getting in and out of the Figo rear seat easier than the Alto
Deep Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 21:42   #41
BHPian
 
Deep Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Udupi
Posts: 594
Thanked: 231 Times
Default

American origin machine seeks blessings and protection from a Indian Hindu God. Globalization in action!

The Blue oval cometh. My Ford Figo.-p1010849.jpg

The Blue oval cometh. My Ford Figo.-p1010860.jpg


Hope this adds some spice to the Figo!

The Blue oval cometh. My Ford Figo.-p1010875.jpg
Deep Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 21:45   #42
Senior - BHPian
 
lamborghini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,636
Thanked: 1,262 Times
Default

@Indizen - I haven't driven the Figo to comment on it, however, in the fiesta, I usually up shift at around 1750-2000 rpm.
I slot into 5th at around 50-80kmph depending on the way I want the car to accelerate.
Personally, the best thing to do would be to try and drive the car and understand it for yourself.
Planning on a Figo TD soon.
lamborghini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 23:29   #43
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 171
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
@Indizen - I haven't driven the Figo to comment on it, however, in the fiesta, I usually up shift at around 1750-2000 rpm.
I slot into 5th at around 50-80kmph depending on the way I want the car to accelerate.
Personally, the best thing to do would be to try and drive the car and understand it for yourself.
Planning on a Figo TD soon.
Well, I'm getting the delivery of my car tomorrow morning.
I'll get to realize how diesel driving is different from a petrol car.
One thing, I theoretically failed to understand, how does one know when the turbo has kicked in?
Indizen010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 23:37   #44
BHPian
 
gr8guzzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 649
Thanked: 38 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indizen010 View Post
One thing, I theoretically failed to understand, how does one know when the turbo has kicked in?
Sudden surge of torque, practically you will know ;-)
gr8guzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 12:34   #45
BHPian
 
Deep Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Udupi
Posts: 594
Thanked: 231 Times
Default

1000kms down. Engine feels less "tight", less noisy. Gear shift is smoother.

I hear occassional hiss from below, wonder what it is?, Suspension?

And an occassional muted clapping with wethands like rattle from the right side of dashboard. I think it is from this thingy. (photo borrowed from Joethomasv's thread) What is it for anyway?
The Blue oval cometh. My Ford Figo.-311724d1269097565fordfigotitaniumtdciinitialownershipreportnew5.jpg


I do wish the cup holders on the dash are a little deeper. The pocket on the door handle are nice place to keep toll receipts/parking fee receipts.

Had my first scrape also at an unmarked hump. If I had seen it, possibly could have avoided it. Some scrape marks on the a horizontal bar that is present closer to the rear of the body.

My earlier question. How do I figure out if the ABS is working?

Last edited by Deep Blue : 2nd June 2010 at 12:36.
Deep Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Blue Oval comes home - Ford Figo Aspire TDCi Titanium KreativeGeek Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 116 14th July 2017 15:59
the black beauty cometh!! (Safari 2.2 LX) bIte tHe bulLet Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 158 18th October 2013 13:17
Cometh the hour, cometh the man rahulsharma2008 Introduce yourself 0 23rd August 2013 16:36
My new Ford Figo Zxi TDCi - The blue oval in sea grey kreativebug Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 12 16th July 2012 14:18
Da Iceman Cometh !!! St. Anger Introduce yourself 2 5th November 2007 14:11


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:40.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks