Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 14th February 2011, 10:34   #106
BHPian

Default Re: The Blue oval cometh. My Ford Figo.

As expected, whatever fixes that were attempted at the second service 2 weeks back are all short lasting.
The tyre rattle(caliper pin or brake pad), dashboard squeak and the squeak just above the right door are all back to haunt me.

Also, increasingly I feel brakes are also not that inspiring. Braking distances are a tad longer than what I would like it to be. Maybe it is the ABS. Earlier I had a non ABS car.

Last edited by Deep Blue : 14th February 2011 at 10:37.
Deep Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 11:45   #107
BHPian

One year and 14700kms later,

It was with a little trepidation that I bought a Ford. The value I got for my buck was hard to ignore. One year later, I should say I am more than a happy man.

The good,
  • Excellent driving dynamics
  • Good space
  • Useful practical features (Bluetooth,Electric ORVM controls)
  • Reasonable fuel efficiency (Avg – 16km/l)
  • Excellent seat fabric
The bad
  • Low speed ride – could be a little better or atleast wish the suspension wouldn’t do a loud “thud”
  • Poor underthigh support in front seats
The Ugly
  • Squeaks and rattles – Full of them and Ford’s inability to offer a permanent solution particularly when this is a common problem across many Figos
  • Ford service – I was promised a service centre will open in Udupi in June 2010. Still there is no sign of it.
Mangalore’s service centre is in a remote difficult to access location
They seem good at routine service jobs, but ability to diagnose and solve problems is zilch. ( or are they waiting for paid services to begin?)

Overall, a rattly squeaky nice car. I am satified though!

The Blue oval cometh. My Ford Figo.-p1040277.jpg

OT : A i10 AT joined our garage this month. One more ownership drive to come, this time comparing with Figo.
Deep Blue is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 14:22   #108
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the update. Where are the squeaks coming from? Is it the on from the rear driver side.?

As you said. Its quite funny that most of the minor issues reported by owners here turn out to be a common problem. Wonder what the quality control people were doing and more importantly what the claimed over 2 lakh km test drivers were doing.
gemithomas is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2011, 15:41   #109
BHPian

My most constant squeak is from the dash board left hand side and the most constant rattle is from the front right tyre well. Other than that, the occasional ones are dash centre facia(missing for 1-2weeks now), the right and left rear squeaks. The right and left rear squeaks are dealt with the solutions mentioned in this forum as and when they appear. There was one more from the roof just above the right door which I managed to solve with some packing material. Hope to find a solution for all these during the third service.
Old 10th November 2011, 23:07   #110
BHPian

I completed 20000kms. It is been nearly one and half years since I bought the car.The car is been running fine except for the squeaks and rattles as detailed previously. Car is been giving a consistent fuel efficiency of 16-17km/l. The max I have been able to get out of her is 19km/l. The car is stock with no modifications whatsoever and has avoided the major problems like engine stalling.
I am just back from 20000km service. The cost was 4050 and including wheel cap which had to be replaced was 4784/-
My SA was the same as before. This time, however he seemed more knowledgeable and seems to have learnt on the job. My primary complaints were
1. Rattle in the right tyre well which has been misdiagnosed in the earlier service visits.
2. Squeaks in the dashboard lt hand corner.

Regarding the rattle, initially the SA said it is likely from the stabilizer bar. But later called up to say that stabilizer bar was okay and they suspected the shock absorber. They put my shocks on a demo car and confirmed this and replaced the rt front shock absorber on warranty. On the drive back home,(about 60kms) the sound has not reappeared. This rattle was my main headache through the last 14months. Hopefully it is permanently laid to rest.
The squeak in the dash persists. The car feels a bit smoother.
I had specifically told the SA, that everything mentioned in the manual should be done. I dont mind if it costs extra, but it should be done. Still, though the manual recommends replacing brake and clutch fluid, sump plug gasket and AC cowl filter, I dont find mention of any of these in the bill. SA says the cowl filter has been replaced,but brake and clutch fluid are only topped up if they are low. Mine was normal, hence not replaced. Somehow I dont believe him.
The manual also recommends, among other things, fuel filter cleaning, head lamp alignment, AC wire mesh filter cleaning. I can only hope that all these are actually done despite keeping the car for two days.

Overall, I am satisfied and happy with the car. With this report, I plan to close this initial ownership drive and possibly move over to Long term ownership. I will be happy to answer any queries though.Thanks to all Tbhpians and TBhp Figoians for making me a more enlightened car owner.
Old 15th May 2014, 13:48   #111
BHPian

Yesterday, some friends and I were going for a short drive. My friend made an aggressive u-turn on my Figo and a slightly heavier friend who was sitting on the left hand side rear seat slid left and forward. The rear seat then moved forward - with a gap about the size of an adult palm between the rear back and the seat bench. When I flipped the seat up, I found the hinge (for lack of a better word) twisted and I was also able to correct it by just pulling the seat up and now its back to normal.
Questions:
Is the hinge is designed to be that soft?
Is there no locking mechanism fixing the seat bench to the floor somehow?
Has anyone ever faced this seat moving forward stuff?
gtonsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2014, 23:27   #112
BHPian

The rear seat squab in my Figo can be lifted upon the hinges and I have not noticed any locking mechanism and it seems to be held in place by the weight of the seat itself and the wedge created by the seat back.
batterylow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2014, 08:57   #113
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
Questions:
Is the hinge is designed to be that soft?
Is there no locking mechanism fixing the seat bench to the floor somehow?
Has anyone ever faced this seat moving forward stuff?
Same thing happened in my car as well. It happens if you have stuffed the seat belts under the seat base. The seat is slightly lifted and doesn't hook onto the latches. There is no locking mechanism as such.

Basically the hinge is free. There is a hook in the floor which limits the seat going forward. If the seat is slightly above the hook the hinge will bend. It needs to go all the way down. Reason is the seat belt which prevents the seat base from touching the hook. It's a poor design that's all.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2014, 10:01   #114
Senior - BHPian

Agree with @vids .. My car had the same problem. The LHS hinge got bent. Since the seat belts have been brought out from under the seat, the problem has been fixed.
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2014, 10:17   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Reason is the seat belt which prevents the seat base from touching the hook. It's a poor design that's all.
Thanks Vid6639. Seat belts promptly removed from under the seat. It was a bit scary that incident. Now, I need to ensure the kids who sit in the rear ALWAYS wear their belts.
gtonsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2017, 00:07   #116
BHPian

The Blue oval cometh. My Ford Figo.-img_4446.jpg
It is several years since I have updated this thread. I have crossed the one lakh km milestone few months back, hence the post. It is close to 103000kms on the odo. In another month, the car would have completed 7 years.

Am I a happy owner? Definitely a resounding YES. There have been a few rattles and squeaks along the way, some still persist. There was the gear cable bush giving way leaving me almost stranded one evening. There have been some problems with the AC. The linking rod bush had worn off twice, stabilizer bar and rear ball bearings had to be changed once. Otherwise the car is doing very well. It still is running on original clutch, discs, gives me an average fuel efficiency of 17-18 kms/l. I had been updating those details in the official Figo drive thread.

Service costs too have been eminently bearable. I have listed the costs below

Ist service/2500km - Rs 1313
2nd sevice/10k km - Rs 2242
3rd service/20k km - Rs 4784
Front shocks changed due to rattling under warranty
4th service/30k km - Rs 6104
5th service/40k km - Rs 4890
Ist tyre change at 47100km
6th service/50k km - Rs 3861
ist Battery change at around 50k km
Wheel bearing change at 56k km - Rs 7993
7th service/60k km - Rs 8210
Stabilizer bar changed at 63k km
8th service/70k km - Rs 4770
9th service/80k km - Rs 7525
88000km battery change 2nd
10th service/90k km - Rs 6670
11th service/1lakh km - Rs 12055 (included timing belt change)

I have had peculiar problems with the AC. All of a sudden it would go off and then on hittiing a pot hole, it would come on. Each time I go to the service station, it would work fine and they would tell me everything is fine. Somewhere at 90k km, AC finally gave up and they found the evaporator coil leaking and changed it. It did work well after that, but in a month the old behavior resurfaced again. This time they said the compressor clutch is the problem. While they were waiting for the part to arrive, the AC started working again and has been fine ever since.

It is been a very involving journey so far. The steering feel and dynamics are so good that it has me grinning from ear to ear. A long drive on the Figo with Mark Knopfler on the stereo would drive most of my blues away.

The time to change the car has come. I need a seven seater now but find it difficult to give up the Figo. I want to keep it as a third car, only for me, for a little special indulgence whenever the mood is down.

Last edited by Deep Blue : 5th April 2017 at 00:15.
Deep Blue is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2017, 00:21   #117

Congrats on the one lakh km on your Figo. I am a proud owner of Figo TDCI, close to 70k kms now. I must say, the hydraulic steering is the best. Car has not given me any trouble so far. for the 70k service, the SA advised me to change the transmission mounts but they did not have the spares. So postponed the job. Apart from that, it has been a joy to drive.
twin_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote