Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 30th May 2010, 13:26   #1
BHPian

Default Fiesta 1.6, Vrrrrooooooommmmm

9th February 2010

One more day in the train from Thane to Kurla; One more day at Kurla station pushing and jostling with the Autowalas; one more day in the office doing stuff a brain dead robot could do at half charge and one more day walking to Kurla station from the office ‘cause the autowalas would rather go to the moon. Out of frustration decide to go book the Vista quadrajet with out a test ride after reading umpteen reviews on TeamBHP. Walk into a showroom with the booking amount ready and I see a Vista about to be delivered. A happy Family walks in and a scene right out of a Rajshri production’s film. I get sweets too; cause I volunteer to take snaps of all the family members arranged around a Vista in some shade of rust. It’s surreal; until the car is turned on and I find myself right next to the bonnet. The engine grunts and splutters and shakes and this put me off, the moment is lost and I walk away spewing venom.

Weekend and a drive in Ahmedbad. The little one with me firmly held in place by the seat belt gets into a discussion about the Audi A8 he has seen on National Geography and his mother cribs about why someone would pay so much for a car prompting her husband to compare it to her love of Platinum jewelry.
Amidst the good natured family bickering, somewhere it rings a bell and a decision is made.

“I am buying a car for the love of it and not for utility alone"

And a rudimentary short listing is done immediately.

It’s the Linea; the Safari or the Punto for me.

Linea, I have driven in the past and found it a little underpowered; and the Palio 1.6 my friend owns has left a bad after-taste as far as A.S.S. go. The Fiat is out. I have not driven the Safari and call for a test ride. The vehicle arrives promptly on time and it’s a red one with tints. Looks a million bucks and I immediately fall in love with the beast. Step into the driver’s seat and settle in but notice that the demo vehicle markings are missing and you don’t use a color like red for a test drive car. Question the guy with the car, who insists it’s a test vehicle. Some close, pointed questioning and it changes to a customer’s car for which permission has been taken. I give him a piece of my mind and refuse to drive it. Also call up the dealer and give the manager an ear full. Needless to say it spoils the evening. The Tata's are out. Maybe a knee jerk reaction; but no way.
Sleep on a sour note and wake up equally bad. Get in to a fight on the train and reach office really grumpy. Lunch time; economic times and the Ford Fiesta Limited Edition staring at me. Something snaps; Call up the dealers and get quotes. Second coffee of the day and the receptionist rings in a visitor from Shreeji Ford. I love the guy who came with the car and promptly go driving with him. The colour makes me drool and the engine response reminds me of the RD350 I have back home. Spend the rest of the day on TeamBHP reading up on the Fiesta and its perceived A.S.S. troubles, realise its a matter of perception and things are on the upswing. Gulped down every word teambhp has to say ‘cause my experience with Ford has been very limited. Posts by frankmehta, shajufx and a few others are memorized over the weekend.

New day, an evening commute and bickering over half an inch of space on the footboard later; the pact with the devil is sealed. If I have to be in the city of dreams and travel all that much. I might as well enjoy my commute.

All pros and cons considered and what has to be done, is done.

Booked; my limited edition Fiesta 1.6, Morello on the 6th April 2010; delivered on the 26th April 2010!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Fiesta 1.6, Vrrrrooooooommmmm-fiesta.jpg  

Last edited by nairanupg : 30th May 2010 at 13:40.
nairanupg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 13:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your car, kindly remove the font tags from the text and post a complete ownership experiance with pics.
sidindica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 13:50   #3
BHPian

Wow..that was quick sidindica. while i am still working on the editting part we have a responce. Thanks a ton for the wishes.
Old 30th May 2010, 14:27   #4
BHPian

Congrats Narain! How much did the Limited Edition cost on-road?
rajushank84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 14:35   #5
BHPian

May 29th 2010

30 days of ownership, 4460 kms and first service done.

A month of extensive driving in my beast.

A combination of awesome highway drives; Mumbai-Ahmedabad-Mumbai, Mumbai-Ratnagiri-Mumbai, umpteen Mumbai-Lonavla-Pune-Mumbai drives and the daily Mumbai Commute.

Running in period ?? Yeah right. It doesn’t want to be run in; me thinks. But was careful of not taking it above 3000 rpm till now.
Did Most of these drives alone. Me and the beast on the road. The only constant companion, a silly smile on my face.
It amazes me the way my beast behaves at speed. It hugs curves with the grace of a ballerina and goes vrrrroooom on the straights with just a twitch of my toes. A smooth, lean mean and seamless acceleration.
The top speed is no joke either. Easily cruised at 165 kmph on the Express way and it ended up a battle of nerves. My beast asking for more and me looking to meet its expectations.
In the end I gave up and came down to a reluctant but saner 100kmph.

City driving is fun too. No issues with handling ofcourse. But the most wonderful aspect for me is how I dnt have to use an accelerator in bumper to bumper traffic where I am most of the time; The Clutch and brakes are enough to rein the beast in. It gives me decent economy too.
11-12 per litre so far with 95% A.C. is something I can live with.
I don’t mind more though; considering the way prices are heading north.

Now for the much maligned cost of ownership.
Almost 5000 kms of rather enthusiastic driving later i have spent Rs. 700/- on the car. That too 'cause of a rather enterprising autowala who stole my wheel cap. i dnt know for what
Nothing falling off the car; no rattles; no rust; no leakages and no funny feelings.

My only complaint; if any is the first gear which me thinks is too short. I dont know if its just me or is it really so. But i would have loved a little more range on the thing; especially driving in the cities. Or maybe i would just get used to the quirks. I should; my 1987 bullet 350 has trained me well to respect a machines whims and fancies.

And Lest i forget; the beast cost me Rs. 6,50,000/-, bought the exended warranty for 9000 odd bucks so i am covered for 4 years.
No modifications; no additions; no accessories on the car so far.
Completely Stock.
I got the Ford original spoiler and remote lock free from the dealer after some haggling. So that donot qualify.

Money well spent; me thinks 'cause i intend to keep the beast for the next 5 years at the very least.

P.S. Pics awaited. To be honest i dont have enough of them to post. Pics dont do justice to my car.
Old 30th May 2010, 14:53   #6
BHPian

Nice report. Lucky that you live in Mumbai to get the LE

How about ICE?
rajushank84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 14:53   #7
BHPian

Congrats Narain. Its sheer pleasure to drive and own the car. Every kilometer is wonderful. Don't worry too much about Fords A.S.S,i have had mine for the last 4 years and there have been no issues at all. And you are right about the top speed stability. I clocked 190 kmph (speedo reading) and its still stable. Although such speeds are very dangerous on our roads and i don't recommend such speeds on any vehicle to anybody. Just talking about the cars capability.

Only modification i would suggest is you get a set of 195/60 R14 tyres. It makes a lot of difference. I have Goodyear Eagle F1s and they are wonderful. The ride,handling and braking qualities significantly improve.
All the best buddy and enjoy your ride.
Aniket6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 22:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Narain !
Post some more pics please.
I have seen a couple of ford's in this color and its looks different and good .
Njoy and drive safe
Cheers
Schoudhury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 09:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

Good write up -well narrated
and finally you made a good decision.

There are many Fiesta owners on this forum who all enjoying the car!
nairrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 09:58   #10
Senior - BHPian

Smile

Congrats @narain for the Fiesta, could not figure out the variant of the LE.
Lots have been already said about the vehicle and I would not want to repeat them but one thing for sure is you would want to vroooooooom.
Did Shreeji Ford get the vehicle to your office in Kurla for TD? How was your buying experience with them?
We need more pics of the beast.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 11:25   #11
BHPian

Hey, why's everyone addressing Mr.Anup Nair as "narain"??? Is it because he's got a steed personally vouched for by Mr. Narain Karthikeyan???!!

Its "NAIR" buddies.. maybe me being a mallu helped decipher his handle.

Hey Anup - congrats on your beast. Have fun. You had to post this awesome fiesta review just when i've almost made up my mind on manza safire 1.4. Now its back to square 1.

And iam feeling extremely jealous of you for the fab OTR price you got for the 1.6. We can't dream of such mouth-watering offers here down south.

Last edited by WindRide : 31st May 2010 at 11:34.
WindRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 12:07   #12
BHPian

Congratulations, Anup! and a well narrated report, too!

I will very soon be facing a decision on upgrading my Ikon to Fiesta, so would like to know (1) what variant is this - ZXI, or SXI? (2) What factors influenced your decision for this variant?

Look forward to some more photos.

Happy Fiesta!
Damu
Damu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 12:49   #13
BHPian

Congrats Anup. Welcome to the club. Is that an EXI limited edition or a ZXI?
650000 is a steal . I bought a ZXI limited edition in B'lore in Dec'09 for about 7.13 OTR. If you got the ZXI Limited, then it is the deal of the century.
Wish you many many happy kilometres of fun on your Fiesta.
rpmx1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 13:09   #14

Congratulations nairanupg,

Its a dream car that has been on my wishlist for a while now. Hopefully should buy one in the next 2-3 months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nairanupg View Post
May 29th 2010

And Lest i forget; the beast cost me Rs. 6,50,000/-
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
And iam feeling extremely jealous of you for the fab OTR price you got for the 1.6. We can't dream of such mouth-watering offers here down south.
+1.
The last I checked the OTR price for a 1.6 ZXI here in Hyderabad was 8L+. Ofcourse there are some discounts applicable too, but should cost me nowhere less than 7.4L on road. Darn these high road taxes in South.

Congrats once again, please post some more photos of the Murillo beast.
Amit Mehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 14:20   #15
BHPian

Thanks a ton mates; and a special thanks to Windrider for getting my name nomenclature straight
And its not a ZXI, its the one without the ABS. As for the ICE, i am not too big into music systems, the stock setup works just fine with me.
Yesudas, Nusrat Fateh Ali khan and Abida Parveen never sounded better.
The only Modification planned till now is getting the interiors done up and maybe a change of wheels.
But the beast is already 4500 kms.
Do you think i shld wait unil 10000 kms to get a new set of wheels ???
Shouldnt take all that long the way i am going. May be three months at the most.
And yes the pics are awaited. Mea Culpa..Would be posting a few soon.
Thanks for the wishes again