Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 3rd June 2010, 21:12   #46
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
We buy alloys these days for appearance, but wasn't the practical reasoning behind them that they should be lighter than steel?
Sorry! I did not communicate properly. What I meant was that the Alloy should not be heavier than the Steel.

Last edited by GTO : 7th June 2010 at 11:41. Reason: Warning, next time infraction. Way too many spelling errors in your posts. Please proofread for the benefit of other forumers
Chethan B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 21:37   #47
BHPian

Hi
The first polo i had seen was white and looked good. But the red steals the show. Nice photos. Looking forward to your ownership review. Cheers
drrajasaravanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2010, 00:12   #48
BHPian

Thats one nice looking car. Clean lines.
how is the engine NHV and turbo lag.. Have fun exploring her..
Cheers
cogentr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2010, 11:06   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogentr View Post
Thats one nice looking car. Clean lines.
how is the engine NHV and turbo lag.. Have fun exploring her..
Cheers
Hi, The NVH levels are quite low while idling and also cruising within the 25-110 kph band. They are only high when starting fast from a dead stop, while using the first and second gears aggressively.

A few more impressions from the 1 week I have had the car:

In my route to work and back there are frequent slowdowns to around 25 kph and then short stretches when I can easily do 70-80. Then I have to slowdown again.In this kind of traffic the Polo diesel really shines. The in-gear acceleration is very good. I am mostly using 3rd or 4th gears. The 3rd gear picks up pretty neatly from as low as 25-30 kph and stays relaxed till 60 kph.

The gear shift suggestions that are in the elctronic display are fairly spot on if the intent is to maximize FE. It ties to keep the car in the 1600-1800 rpm range to ride the most fuel efficient part of the torque curve. Torque on tapo is not the best at this range, but it is good enough so that you can get to he meaty part post 2K rpm very quickly on need, say for overtaking. The only place where it is over-ambitious in my opinion is the 5th gear. It suggests 5th gear way too early in my opinion, in India city/suburb roads, there is not very far you can go in this gear, so even if you follow this and shift up at about 55 kph, there is only a couple of seconds you an do at this before you have to slow down below 55 and then you have to mandatorily down-shift again sicne this gear is too weak below that speed.

The brak action is not as abrupt as it used to be in my Verna Diesel, it is much more linear. There is enough bite available but it will take me a while to get used to it, and I found have to play it safe and brake well ahead until I get used to it.

The one pleasing thing I found was with the steering stability. Even in cars abroad, I have found that when you leave the steering the car veers ever so slightly to one side or another. And I am talking about much bigger more expensive American and Japanese cars. With the Polo, I took my hands off the wheel for a full 4-5 seconds at 60 kph, there was not even a hint of veering. The car stays dead straight. This is very confidence inspiring in a small car. Although I initally had concerns about this aspect after the "light steering" reports I read in various auto magazines, I feel much more confident about the issue now.

It is certainly amusing to see the attendant at the fuel station trying to figure out the fuel cap (it is a pressopen type, but does not open until the central locking is released) and also security guards trying to figure out where the hatch release grip is while tring to check inside. I guess as more Polos hit the roads these guys will get very familiar with what to do!

The paint quality is very good. Yesterday night while I was driving back there was a branch of a tree that was hanging low adn I did not spot it in the dark. It hit the top of my windshield. It then brushed solidly across the whole roof and this was a loud sound. I must have been driving at 30 kph. I was sire I will have a big visible scratch. When I came home and checked I found the paint had not chipped anywhere, there was just a white line across the roof.

More to come once I get to drive the car around a little more this weekend. In the meatime lookign forward to the ownership reports from our new owners - Chetan and Poloman.
84.monsoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2010, 13:14   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Hi, The NVH levels are quite low while idling and also cruising within the 25-110 kph band. They are only high when starting fast from a dead stop, while using the first and second gears aggressively.

That can be expected of ANY car, especially diesel.

Quote:
A few more impressions from the 1 week I have had the car:

In my route to work and back there are frequent slowdowns to around 25 kph and then short stretches when I can easily do 70-80. Then I have to slowdown again.In this kind of traffic the Polo diesel really shines. The in-gear acceleration is very good. I am mostly using 3rd or 4th gears. The 3rd gear picks up pretty neatly from as low as 25-30 kph and stays relaxed till 60 kph.
Sounds like the good old Zen to me!

Quote:
The gear shift suggestions that are in the elctronic display are fairly spot on if the intent is to maximize FE. It ties to keep the car in the 1600-1800 rpm range to ride the most fuel efficient part of the torque curve. Torque on tapo is not the best at this range, but it is good enough so that you can get to he meaty part post 2K rpm very quickly on need, say for overtaking. The only place where it is over-ambitious in my opinion is the 5th gear. It suggests 5th gear way too early in my opinion, in India city/suburb roads, there is not very far you can go in this gear, so even if you follow this and shift up at about 55 kph, there is only a couple of seconds you an do at this before you have to slow down below 55 and then you have to mandatorily down-shift again sicne this gear is too weak below that speed.
May be the suggestion pattern is supposed to be more of use for a highway drive to get optimum FE. Now IF they would also have a "CITY" mode!

Quote:
The one pleasing thing I found was with the steering stability. Even in cars abroad, I have found that when you leave the steering the car veers ever so slightly to one side or another. And I am talking about much bigger more expensive American and Japanese cars. With the Polo, I took my hands off the wheel for a full 4-5 seconds at 60 kph, there was not even a hint of veering. The car stays dead straight. This is very confidence inspiring in a small car. Although I initally had concerns about this aspect after the "light steering" reports I read in various auto magazines, I feel much more confident about the issue now.
Thats a nice & safe steering; maybe the "lightness" is more felt in the petrol version.

Quote:
It is certainly amusing to see the attendant at the fuel station trying to figure out the fuel cap (it is a pressopen type, but does not open until the central locking is released) and also security guards trying to figure out where the hatch release grip is while tring to check inside. I guess as more Polos hit the roads these guys will get very familiar with what to do!
Be careful as someone would eventually break it trying to pry it out! These attendants are really callous about opening/closing fuel fillers of ALL cars
Zen2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2010, 14:19   #51
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations 84.monsoon. Very nice and crisp reviews.

Happy motoring and miles of happiness

Drive safe
Gaurav
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2010, 20:13   #52
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
More to come once I get to drive the car around a little more this weekend. In the meatime lookign forward to the ownership reports from our new owners - Chetan and Poloman.
Can you post a picture of the scratch on the paint? Tree branches laying low are a real pain.

BTW my ownership thread is already on:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-report-2.html
Chethan B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2010, 20:16   #53
Senior - BHPian

The paint quality is awesome, to say the least.
Chetan, You are back from the trip? Where are the pics?
poloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2010, 21:26   #54
Senior - BHPian

one thing I liked about polo TDI- its really fun to rev the engine to its redline and it does so remarkably smoothly and without fuss. Surprising for a 3 pot motor. In cabin insulation is also far better than the punto MJD.
sidindica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 11:25   #55
BHPian

congrats on your purchase of this good looking car, enjoy the drive.
vivekanand005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 13:50   #56
BHPian

Default Alloy Wheels for Polo

Hi all, Need some help from you seasoned BHPians. I am thinking of getting alloy wheels and wider tyres for my Polo Trendlibe Diesel. Presently it has 175-70-R14 tyres. I am looking at getting 195-55-R15 tyres with alloy wheels. I see the wide 195 tyres in the Punto Emotion Pack and I ended up falling for those wide tyres. I am adised that it is OK to go for one step up in wheel diameter as long as the overall diameter of wheel+tyre stays within 3% of the original stock set.

Now, the size I am suggesting above is within 1% in fact it is on the lwoer side, i.e, the new set will be smaller but within 1% of the original diameter.

I haev the following clarifications:

1. Will there be a very big impact on ride comfort? The width of the rubber is going to get smaller, so I am sure I will feel more fo the road undulatiosn etc, but not sure it if this will make it really uncomfortable.

2. I could go for 195-60-R15, this should mitigate the comfort factor a bit. (The highline has 185-60R15) So I should not be too far off from this. But this increases the overall diameter by 2.5% - I am still within 3% but pushing the limt here. The tyre dealer says if I am on the highway with the car fully loaded I could haev an issue with this size. Is this really true?

3. The alloy wheel has to fit into the frame available in the polo. It appears the polo standard wheel has 5 holes for the nuts/bolts to go through. Even within this there are some three "PIDs" (this appears to be the distance between the individual holes. The wheel dealer seems unsure which alloy wheel will fit my car. he says he will take the wheels apart and then decide which ones fit. This seems like a bad approach, sicen I have to choose the wheels after I decide to go with this dealer and take the wheels out. I should be bale to see the wheels that will fit and then choose from them...Any help in this regard?

4. Also I need to choose new 15 inch tyres. My needs are pretty simple - I want to do some fast highway driving, while staying stable, also have a very stable ride in my commute route even under rainy conditions, the tyre should ideally not make the resistance so high that I lose too much ion terms of FE. The dealer is suggesting Yokohoma S-drive or C-drive. Any suggestions phere?

5. Lastly, any recmmendations on the best paces in Chennai where I can go get the Wheels and Tyres fixed up? I also expect the place to buy back my stock tyres and steel wheels.

Your valuable suggestions are much appreciated!
84.monsoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 15:26   #57
BHPian

Hi Polo owner!

I strongly recommend that you refrain from playing around with the wheels and tyres of your car.

A lower profile tyre would mean you have a smaller, stiffer spring between the road and the wheel. This, in my opinion would change the load distribution within the suspension system and the bushes (upper lever to body; lower lever to subframe) would thus have to put up with greater loads than what they may not have been designed for. Imagine a solid steel ring sitting on your wheel instead of the current rubber tyre and you'll get the idea. This would result in accelerated wear of axle bushes and would worsen the ride quality even further.

You mentioned wider tyres. These may grind against the wheel arches when you turn lock-to-lock and again cause unnecessary damage. Carmakers offer cars with a certain spec of wheel and tyre for a reason.

It is very easy to fall for the bait of bling because you think it "looks cool and in". I would however suggest you consider the engineering aspect of this change before ruining your can and wasting money.

Suspensions generally are designed to work as a whole, a system. Play around with one parameter and it will have an effect of all the others...

If you have to upgrade, use only what VW (manufacturer) recommend.

This may be off the topic but there are many morons who fit all sorts of aftermarket kit on their cars (P*** tuning chips) etc and are surprised when:
1. The manufacturer makes their warranty null/void
2. Their engine/suspension wears out prematurely

Surprise, surprise no one asks if the parts were designed to work even when overloaded! Everyone is happy to blame the world (except their foolish selves!)
ameya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 15:32   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Will there be a very big impact on ride comfort? The width of the rubber is going to get smaller, so I am sure I will feel more fo the road undulatiosn etc, but not sure it if this will make it really uncomfortable.
The difference will be significant. The ride will not be bone jarring but will definitely develop a harsh edge. While good for highway driving, it not very advisable if you do a lot of touring on state highways and countryside roads as these patches will make you feel nostalgic about the 175/70 Rubber.
Quote:

2. I could go for 195-60-R15, this should mitigate the comfort factor a bit. (The highline has 185-60R15) So I should not be too far off from this. But this increases the overall diameter by 2.5% - I am still within 3% but pushing the limt here. The tyre dealer says if I am on the highway with the car fully loaded I could haev an issue with this size. Is this really true?
It will change the handling of the car a bit-expect a bit more body roll under hard cornering and also please check that it does nto foul with the sidewalls when you turn the steering full lock

Quote:
3. The alloy wheel has to fit into the frame available in the polo. It appears the polo standard wheel has 5 holes for the nuts/bolts to go through. Even within this there are some three "PIDs" (this appears to be the distance between the individual holes. The wheel dealer seems unsure which alloy wheel will fit my car. he says he will take the wheels apart and then decide which ones fit. This seems like a bad approach, sicen I have to choose the wheels after I decide to go with this dealer and take the wheels out. I should be bale to see the wheels that will fit and then choose from them...Any help in this regard?
The PCD of a Volkswagen polo seems 100 - see Alloy Wheel fitment guide – your car listed by PCD (studs) & ET (offset)|The POTN.COM Blog and check for polo models

Quote:
4. Also I need to choose new 15 inch tyres. My needs are pretty simple - I want to do some fast highway driving, while staying stable, also have a very stable ride in my commute route even under rainy conditions, the tyre should ideally not make the resistance so high that I lose too much ion terms of FE. The dealer is suggesting Yokohoma S-drive or C-drive. Any suggestions phere?

S. Drives will be grippier and ride harder and make a bit of noise.
C. Drives will grip slightly less compared to S. Drives but still way better than regular tires. They will ride much more supple and silent - take your pick.

C. Drive Positioning

S. Drive Poitioning

I have Yokohama C.Drives in the Innova and like them. I believe that in our country it is better to have a bit of comfort bias in the tire as the roads can be very unforgiving at times. You can also loot at Michelins if going in for 15 inch Rims (Pilot Preceda / Sport for performance and Energy XM1+ / Primacy for comfort).

On tire size - Why dont you try 195/60R14 or 185/65R14 if you can manage with 14 inch Rims. Both the tire sizes will give you a good amount of comfort and grip but unsure if you will get 5 stud rims in 14 inches.
Quote:

5. Lastly, any recmmendations on the best paces in Chennai where I can go get the Wheels and Tyres fixed up? I also expect the place to buy back my stock tyres and steel wheels.
No clue

Last edited by Buffetfan : 6th June 2010 at 15:35.
Buffetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 15:56   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A lower profile tyre would mean you have a smaller, stiffer spring between the road and the wheel. This, in my opinion would change the load distribution within the suspension system and the bushes (upper lever to body; lower lever to subframe) would thus have to put up with greater loads than what they may not have been designed for. Imagine a solid steel ring sitting on your wheel instead of the current rubber tyre and you'll get the idea. This would result in accelerated wear of axle bushes and would worsen the ride quality even further.
While agree in theory - in practice the acclerated wear is more linear - so if my choice of tires mean that my axle bushes will wear out 10% earlier, I think I can still make an informed decision. Let me give an example - one month after I changed my Baleno Tires from 165/80R13 to 185/65R14, Maruti launched the same size in the Vxi model. And they have already completed nearly 70k kms in my car w/o any axle bush or suspension wear. They key is to be conservative.
At the same time, I am sure that the wider tires in my car saved me from a variety of possible mishaps at highway speeds.

Quote:
You mentioned wider tyres. These may grind against the wheel arches when you turn lock-to-lock and again cause unnecessary damage. Carmakers offer cars with a certain spec of wheel and tyre for a reason.
they generally grind only when the OD changes - otherwise it is usually fine.

Quote:
It is very easy to fall for the bait of bling because you think it "looks cool and in". I would however suggest you consider the engineering aspect of this change before ruining your can and wasting money.
Again, while agree on the theory - design has a lot of tolerence. My exp and other bhpian experience with conservative upgrades is an example.

Quote:
Suspensions generally are designed to work as a whole, a system. Play around with one parameter and it will have an effect of all the others...
While agree in theory, the design is done to take on a variety of situations - the low load experienced during single driver highways cruise to the heavy pounding during the friends and family countryside drive.

Quote:

If you have to upgrade, use only what VW (manufacturer) recommend.
Well - depends also on how VW is. In my experience, Maruti never generally troubles you and will dishonor your warranty because you made some minor modification in your car. But manufacturers differ here and this is something that one needs to keep in mind.

On the other hand, lets look at a few potential problems in tire upgrade (assuming that we buy reputed aftermarket rims) -

A.> Within Warranty Period Some part of the suspension fails - Some problem in vehicle suspension, not related to wheel upgrade but the company dont pay because we bought non recomended alloy wheels - damage INR 5-10k I guess

B.> After Warranty Period our suspension fails faster because of the upgrade : Assuming total suspension overhaul to be INR 25k - maybe we had acclerated suspension failure and the extreme upgrade means suspension lasts only 80% of its original life. This means that we dont get to enjoy 20% of 25k or around INR 5k worth of service.

They question is does whether that risk above is worth paying INR 25k more for alloy wheels that maybe we dont like the looks of. I would say individual decision.

Quote:
This may be off the topic but there are many morons who fit all sorts of aftermarket kit on their cars (P*** tuning chips) etc and are surprised when:
1. The manufacturer makes their warranty null/void
2. Their engine/suspension wears out prematurely

Surprise, surprise no one asks if the parts were designed to work even when overloaded! Everyone is happy to blame the world (except their foolish selves!)
Agree

Last edited by Buffetfan : 6th June 2010 at 16:00.
Buffetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 14:27   #60
BHPian

if not outright power we were definitely expecting excellent driveability from this hot hatch. i hope the sedan (Vento) does a better job at it.
Dieselite is offline   Reply With Quote