Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 7th June 2010, 16:08   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't understand how sticking a boot on a car might improve its driveability? Is a Jetta any better than a Golf?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 10:25   #62
BHPian

Congradulations!!! The car looks awesome in red...must be the best colour for Polo...
Does the Trendline trim come with a music system as standard?.
I heard some owners complaining about VW not allowing to put a seperate music system in (if it doesn't come standard), as it will void the electrical warranty on the car... [Not sure if it is true]
sharathnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 14:56   #63
BHPian

In one of the pictures I saw the spare tire was kept upside down. Is this the normal position? If so how do you check the air for spare tire?
NSK123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 17:16   #64
BHPian

@84.monsoon,

when when u planning for alloy upgrade ?

Filling up nitrogen and 195/55/R15 will make the weight same and there should not be problem to your suspension or steering rod / column .

To be frank no manufacturer would recommend for after market alloys . Its killing their own sales of the high end model and stock alloys . If maruti and hyundai are not making much fuss its because they are in the market for almost 25 /15 years and they know that these things would not help in Indian market

Polo abroad has company optional alloys of 16 and 17 inches , even though the roads over there are far better than of the indian roads , one can never say when the guy hits a bad pothhole or streetwalks .

Even with stock tyre and wheels , if something bad happen to the suspension , the company would first try to blame the customer that it happened because of the drivers bad driving styles .

So all these are just 'bahanas' to sell their products.
rejoycjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 17:12   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I don't understand how sticking a boot on a car might improve its driveability? Is a Jetta any better than a Golf?
I heard it will have 1.6 engine and longer wheelbase so should be good
carfanatic007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 17:29   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

That is another thing(s) altogether

I'd like that 1.6 engine in the Polo: I gather it is on the way.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 18:50   #67
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
PS: Why do many manufacturers go for these acceleres. I think they take away a lot of the cars capabilitites.
@gemi - when I saw the photo of the boot, I expected this question from you. Yes why acceleres.

@ 84.monsoon - Congrats. Happy motoring. I stay exactly behind VW showroom at CIT nagar and daily see the test drives. No doubt german quality will be awesome..
Enjoy and take care of your german baby.

Last edited by RGK : 10th June 2010 at 18:54. Reason: typo
RGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 18:50   #68
BHPian

Hey,

Some people say that the front bumper gets damaged very easily, is it so? Did you scrape it anywhere?

Last edited by carfanatic007 : 10th June 2010 at 18:52.
carfanatic007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 23:24   #69
BHPian

Default Outfitting the Polo with some accessories

Hi folks,

Today I got the Polo some seat covers, sun film and a music system - the music system was a :lift and shift" from my older car.

Haute Car Zone in OMR did a good job with a custom made Art Leather seat cover. Apparently, the standard seat covers for Polos are not available as yet. Also the customized seat covers fit more snugly to the contours of the seat, as I am told by the dealer.I chose a design where I could match the colors as closely as possible to the black and beige colors of the dash. I thin the seat covers have come out well - they fit quite snugly and they are comfortable. The customized covers cost more than standard off the shelf ones, but I think it is worth it. I do not have the budget in mind to go for Leather, which is 3-4 times more expensive. I am sure they are more comfortable but I decided to settle for art leather. Will post some pictures in the weekend.

As for Sun Film, I chose 3M SPF 35. These are medium shades and they permit enough light so you do not have too many visibility problems in low light conditions. I wanted to go for even lighter shade for the back window, but the dealer convinced me to keep 35 especially with the Chennai heat.

The only issue I have is that in the front driver side window, two small 3M logos appear, which are a bit distracting. This does not appear in any other windows. Maybe they used end of a reel of film for this window, and the end pieces may have had more logos embossed. I guess I will get used to it and if I do not, I will go back and get just that window changed!

Now comes the music system. I had a Blaupunkt system with USB and Bluetooth capability in my older car that was only 2 years old and also 4 speakers of the same make. Haute helped to transfer this over to the Polo without cutting any of the original factory wiring (This is a must for VW warranty to old). They got an adapter and did OK on everything except when they came to the back door, they realized that the space provided is too small for the bigger speakers I had. So they fitted up a wooden tray at the back (similar to the parcel tray in Comfortline, but much heavier) and fixed up the speakers on to that. They tell me the arrangement is quite solid and will not give and vibrations/noise while running. The system sounds great and now I can make and receive calls while on the move very easy!

The one chink in the armor is that the Blaupunkt system has been blamed by Hyundai for why my earlier car battery died every time I kept the car idle for more than 2 days. They claimed that the system was drawing power from the battery even when the ignition is off and keys are removed from the car to maintain the Bluetooth. I have never heard of such a thing with any other music system. True, the system does come on even when the key is removed if you manually switch it on, but it does go off when you kill the engine at the end of the day, so I am not sure how much credence to give to this. Any BHP-ians with similar experience, pelase share!

Let me see if this phenomenon of the battery going dead when car is not used for 2-3 days also happens with the Polo - I hope not.

That is all for now. Will post some pictures this weekend. Still toying with the whole alloy wheel/wide tyre idea - have to decide soon if I want to get some good re-sale value from the stock tyres and wheels!
84.monsoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2010, 06:36   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
The one chink in the armor is that the Blaupunkt system has been blamed by Hyundai for why my earlier car battery died every time I kept the car idle for more than 2 days. They claimed that the system was drawing power from the battery even when the ignition is off and keys are removed from the car to maintain the Bluetooth. I have never heard of such a thing with any other music system. True, the system does come on even when the key is removed if you manually switch it on, but it does go off when you kill the engine at the end of the day, so I am not sure how much credence to give to this. Any BHP-ians with similar experience, pelase share!
Hey Monsoon, what HU are you using? Looks to me like a wiring issue.

Where did you get the unit fixed the first time?
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2010, 12:12   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Hey Monsoon, what HU are you using? Looks to me like a wiring issue.

Where did you get the unit fixed the first time?
Actually, there was nothing to fix in the system. It worked perfectly. It was the car (the Verna I previously had where I had the Balupunkt fitted) that had the problem - it would not start when not used for more than 3 days consecutively. We never could really get the car fixed, I was sure there was some problem with the car's electrical system, but the Hyundai dealer kept saying it was because of the aftermarket music system we had fitted using an outside shop. They insisted it was the Balupunkt system that was draining the battery continuously and they would not even check if anything else was wrong with the car.
Old 13th June 2010, 13:10   #72
BHPian

Default Seat Covers, Sun Film & Sound System

Here are some pictures of the Polo with Art Leater Seat Covers, Sun Film and a Balupunt Audio System added.
Attached Thumbnails
Meet my new Polo TDI Trendline-img_1879.jpg  

Meet my new Polo TDI Trendline-img_1872.jpg  

Meet my new Polo TDI Trendline-img_1878.jpg  

Meet my new Polo TDI Trendline-img_1887.jpg  

Meet my new Polo TDI Trendline-img_1890.jpg  

Meet my new Polo TDI Trendline-img_1889.jpg  

Meet my new Polo TDI Trendline-img_1883.jpg  

Meet my new Polo TDI Trendline-img_1873.jpg  

Old 14th June 2010, 06:46   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Actually, there was nothing to fix in the system. It worked perfectly. It was the car (the Verna I previously had where I had the Balupunkt fitted) that had the problem - it would not start when not used for more than 3 days consecutively. We never could really get the car fixed, I was sure there was some problem with the car's electrical system, but the Hyundai dealer kept saying it was because of the aftermarket music system we had fitted using an outside shop. They insisted it was the Balupunkt system that was draining the battery continuously and they would not even check if anything else was wrong with the car.
One of my friends had the same issue with his i10.The pioneer music system if not switched off fully (including the time display)and front panel removed, battery gets drained out in like 3 days. The Hyundai service centres blamed it on his after market central locking.We found nothing wrong with the central locking, but realised it is the music system. But my other friend who has the same music system installed on his wagon R is not having any issue with it.

The Seat covers,looks awesome ;and the speaker holder looks neat.
What is the cable you have below the music system? Is it USB to Aux convertor or something?
sharathnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2010, 10:47   #74
BHPian

Great Pics POLO owner. The Art Leather Seats do compliment the Biege base of the car and workmanship of Haute Car Zone is applaud'able. How much did u shell out for art leather seats.

I want to ask you this do u face any problem in connecting your HU with antennae coupler as previously, I read that all couplers can be connected except for antennae coupler which requires particular coupler from KENWOOD or VW.
Subaro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2010, 23:15   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaro123 View Post
Great Pics POLO owner. The Art Leather Seats do compliment the Biege base of the car and workmanship of Haute Car Zone is applaud'able. How much did u shell out for art leather seats.

I want to ask you this do u face any problem in connecting your HU with antennae coupler as previously, I read that all couplers can be connected except for antennae coupler which requires particular coupler from KENWOOD or VW.
Hi Subaro, the seat covers cost 8.7K after some discounts they gave and they did not charge anything extra for labour. I insisted they do not cut any wires while installing the music system. The installer said he was able to use the coupler from my previous car (Hyundai Verna) for the antenna. I hope that is thefact and no wires have been cut.

Quote:
What is the cable you have below the music system? Is it USB to Aux convertor or something?
The music system comes with a USB and an Aux-in connector. They have made both of these available right below the music system. I generally do not use this space for CDs etc and it is the most convenient place to have these leads in my opinion. The base below the sapce has a ribbed rubber surface which prevents things from sliding and so it is a great place IMO for the iPOD etc.