Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 8th October 2010, 15:14   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

I think Honda uses Idemitsu (are they same as Savsol) oil. They buy in bulk so the price is only about 850 or so per litre. The grade (correct me if I am wrong) is 0W30 or 5W30, I think the latter.
sgiitk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2010, 15:28   #107
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post

Car drives well now, no complaints. The service adivsor mentioned that "engine mounts has a crack" and it costs Rs. 8,000 to replace them. But apparently, its not a serious issue and that he will recheck those mounts when I get the car for the next service (45,000 km).

Meanwhile, I hope the engine doesn't fall off.
If you feel any extra vibrations or the engine feels gruff then you know what it is.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2010, 01:02   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I think Honda uses Idemitsu (are they same as Savsol) oil. They buy in bulk so the price is only about 850 or so per litre. The grade (correct me if I am wrong) is 0W30 or 5W30, I think the latter.
Well Savsol is the brand owned by Savita Chemicals Ltd. They have their refinery at Thane Belapur road in New Bombay. Idemitsu is being manufactured under license by them at Atgaon industrial area close to Khopoli just off the BOM-Pune expressway..
Their Indian HO by the name Indemitsu Lube India Pvt. Ltd. is in Delhi. A product leaflet is attached, happy reading.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Idemitsu Oils.pdf (366.6 KB, 254 views)

Last edited by khoj : 9th October 2010 at 01:13.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 15:17   #109
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Yet Another Pre-Owned Honda Civic!

What happened to your car's clutch and stereo, smartcat?
Ace F355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 15:25   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Clutch? Normal wear and tear. Ever since I bought the car, clutch was making a creaking sound when the pedal was pressed. The service center guy used to temporarily fix the issue but that creaking noise used to come back after 500 km of running. Finally, at the 45,000 km service, the service advisor recommended replacing a few clutch assembly parts. Cost - Rs. 12,000

The MP3 player (stock) has had "CDs getting stuck" issue twice so far in 9 months. Cost of repair at a local Alpine service center - Rs. 1800 each.
smartcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 15:34   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Clutch? Normal wear and tear. Ever since I bought the car, clutch was making a creaking sound when the pedal was pressed. The service center guy used to temporarily fix the issue but that creaking noise used to come back after 500 km of running. Finally, at the 45,000 km service, the service advisor recommended replacing a few clutch assembly parts. Cost - Rs. 12,000
Unfortunate but isn't that mileage a bit low for the clutch to conk off? Did you try talking to your dealer (from whom you bought the car) about the issues you had?

Quote:
The MP3 player (stock) has had "CDs getting stuck" issue twice so far in 9 months. Cost of repair at a local Alpine service center - Rs. 1800 each.
Seems like it is a shortcoming in Civic's stereo! The person who sold me his car was complaining about it too! He told me he got the stereo replaced twice under warranty. My car was fitted with a brand new unit only a few months back, when I bought it! It is working fine with me so far till now; but then I have been using my iPod in my car most of the time.
Old 4th May 2011, 15:38   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

My old Optra's clutch had issues only at around 70,000 km. I guess the previous owner of the car was either riding the clutch or stomping on the pedal too hard!

I'm giving the Civic's stereo one last chance - if it conks out one more time, I'm getting rid of it and replacing it with one of those Civic customized touchscreen units.
Old 4th May 2011, 15:55   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My old Optra's clutch had issues only at around 70,000 km. I guess the previous owner of the car was either riding the clutch or stomping on the pedal too hard!
Exactly what I was thinking!

Quote:
I'm giving the Civic's stereo one last chance - if it conks out one more time, I'm getting rid of it and replacing it with one of those Civic customized touchscreen units.
haha... got enough in your pocket to deal with the itching ICE bug? Don't post a pic of empty wallet later on!

Anyway, how are the Yoko A Drives behaving after 10K clocked on them? After you, I took the plunge myself for A Drives on my car!
Old 4th May 2011, 16:28   #114
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess the previous owner of the car was either riding the clutch or stomping on the pedal too hard!
When I was TD preworshipped Civic MTs, I noticed that a couple of them have very hard clutches. Only one piece had a "soft as a cake" clutch. My theory is that most owners tend to over-enjoy their Civic and cook the clutch faster than it normally should.

Quote:

Wasnt aware of this issue. So far no probs on my Scorponok. Touchwood. But I am suffering on SQ.
dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 22:12   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
When I was TD preworshipped Civic MTs, I noticed that a couple of them have very hard clutches. Only one piece had a "soft as a cake" clutch.
I had test driven only one Civic (the one I own) because other Civics were out of my price range. I did notice the hard clutch but I thought it was a "feature", not a "bug" - you know - sporty saloon, hard clutch!

But only after the clutch was repaired a couple of weeks back, I realized that normal Civics have "soft as a cake" clutch.
Old 26th June 2011, 13:20   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

One Year Ownership Report
:

First the good stuff - I'll be keeping this part short and sweet because everybody knows why people like Honda Civic.

Every turn of the steering wheel has been pleasurable!

Now that we are done with it, let me first get to the ownership costs for the first year. This is what I spent on the car in the past 12 months -

35,000 km service - Rs. 1,400 (General checkup, wheel alignment)
40,000 km service: Rs. 24,000 (oil change, fuel stainer, new brake pads front & rear, oil filter)
45,000 km service: Rs. 12,000 (new clutch)
Stock MP3 player repair: Rs. 3,500 (Had issues with it twice, repaired by Alpine service center)

Total Maintenance costs: Rs. 40,900
Kms done in 1 year: 12,000 km
Maintenance cost per km = Rs. 3.4 per km

Other Expenses:

New Tyres: Rs. 20,000 (bought immediately after purchase)
Insurance from HDFC Ergo: Rs. 17,500
Petrol Costs: Rs. 60,000

Total Ownership Costs in the First Year: Rs. 1.4 Lacs
Ownership cost per km for 12,000 km = An incredible un-Honda-like Rs. 11.6 per km

However, the costs in the first year of ownership is only an aberration. I'm expecting the next year to be a lot cheaper.

- No expenses on tyres
- I'm getting quotes for Rs. 10,000 to 12,000 for insurance for the next year
- No expenses on clutch or brake pads.

However, I could end up spending money on something like engine mounts (Rs. 8,000) which other Civic owners have done.

Niggles & Problemss:

- A rare rattle in the dashboard that has struck twice or thrice. But it magically goes away within a couple of minutes. For comparison, my old Optra never had a rattle for 6 years and 105,000 kms. Currently, the Honda Civic has done 47,000 kms.

- MP3 CDs got stuck twice. Paid Rs. 1,700 and Rs. 1,800 to get it fixed. I rarely use the MP3 player now - I make do with this USB FM radio player. Quality of transmission is not so great in the city (because of interference from city radio stations) but on highways, I don't see the difference in quality between this and MP3 CDs.

Yet Another Pre-Owned Honda Civic!-img_4436.jpg

- An irritating clutch "creak" sound which I occurs every 1500 km after servicing - this I have mentioned many times on the forum. The problem persisted even after replacing the clutch. The "creak" sound was finally fixed with some insulation tape!

Yet Another Pre-Owned Honda Civic!-img_4433.jpg

- The rubber beading on both the rear doors side have come off. Honda doesn't have stock of replacement beadings as of now.

Yet Another Pre-Owned Honda Civic!-img_4426.jpg

Yet Another Pre-Owned Honda Civic!-img_4427.jpg

Accidents:

There is this large stone infront of my house and is hardly 6 or 7 cms in height (and covered in greenery & animal poop). But it took my front bumper off (the part below the right fender) when I accidently went over it (the tyres missed the stone but the front bumper caught it).

Yet Another Pre-Owned Honda Civic!-img_4430.jpg

But the front bumper seems to be a snap-on fit and I managed to put the bumper back in place - almost. Will get it fixed at the next service.

Yet Another Pre-Owned Honda Civic!-img_4428.jpg

The Tyres:

12,000 kms doesn't seem to have taken off any rubber - it looks just like new. Here are the BEFORE/AFTER pics like the one you see in hair growth advertisements in newspapers -

BEFORE (New):

Yet Another Pre-Owned Honda Civic!-img_2572.jpg

AFTER (12k kms):

Yet Another Pre-Owned Honda Civic!-img_4438.jpg

The tyre seems to be made out of hard compound for longevity. Because of which I feel the ride quality at slow speeds on the Civic with these tyres sucks - especially after driving other cars like Punto, Alto and the Vista ocassionally. But the tyres are very grippy - both in the wet and dry - though.

After Sales Service Experience:

If you have owned a Chevrolet in Bangalore before, it feels that Honda treats you like a king!

Last edited by smartcat : 26th June 2011 at 13:26.
smartcat is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2011, 14:02   #117
dot
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the one year of ownership. Nice, frank and detailed report. Thanks for sharing.

Even if it was a new car, the following costs would have been same,

Petrol - 60k
Insurance -24k (for a new car, to compare apple to apple)
Tyres (in case you got sick of the NCT5s) 20k
Total = 104k

Cost of ownership will be = 104000/12000= 8.66Rs/Km

So the difference of 3Rs is not terribly bad, isnt it.

Quote:

But the front bumper seems to be a snap-on fit and I managed to put the bumper back in place - almost. Will get it fixed at the next service.
I hope the ring housing of the bumper has not broken. Even if it has, the service folks can take a large dia washer and fix the protruding end of the bumper.

Last edited by dot : 26th June 2011 at 14:04.
dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2011, 14:13   #118
Team-BHP Support

Nice and Honest report there Smartcat.

My Cruze recently completed 15,000kms in about 11 months and my cost of ownership (only the maintenance ones) worked out to Rs.0.50/km compared to Rs.3.40 for the Civic

In comparison, Honda does seem quite expensive to maintain. Also, note that your earlier Optra never had any rattle issues. Same here, till date not a squeak nor a rattle from any corner of the car.

I am surprised to know that you had bad experience with Chevy folks in Blore. Here, they are absolutely wonderful and sort out issues ( not that there were any) or attend to you very promptly

Wish you many more happy miles with your Civic....
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2011, 15:15   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Even if it was a new car, the following costs would have been same,

Cost of ownership will be = 104000/12000= 8.66Rs/Km

So the difference of 3Rs is not terribly bad, isnt it.
And if I include depreciation of a new car vs my old car in the cost of ownership equation, it changes everything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
My Cruze recently completed 15,000kms in about 11 months and my cost of ownership (only the maintenance ones) worked out to Rs.0.50/km compared to Rs.3.40 for the Civic
My Optra was cheap to maintain till 60,000 km. The next 30,000 km cost a bomb (timing belt 18k, AC compressor 40k, suspension - don't remember but it was quite a lot).

Quote:
I am surprised to know that you had bad experience with Chevy folks in Blore. Here, they are absolutely wonderful and sort out issues ( not that there were any) or attend to you very promptly
Some of the issues I faced with Chevrolet dealers in Bangalore -

- An accident with damage to bonnet, fender, bumper, headlights & radiator took 2 months to repair.

- For around a year, there was a 15 - 30 day waiting list to get the car serviced.

- Because of carelessness/idiocy of the service center engineers, my car broke down (thankfully within the city) twice - both the times within days of getting the car serviced! After that, I was scared to take the car on highways after it came out from a visit to the service center.

- No Chevrolet service center in Bangalore knows how to get the wheel alignment of the Optra done properly. The steering would become light or off-center or the car would pull to the left (or right) or the ride quality/steering would become clunky after a visit to the service center. Asking them not to touch the wheel alignment was also of no help - they would do it anyway.

I basically dreaded a visit to the service center because they would take a perfectly running car and ruin it.

- At the time of selling the car, the fuel guage was not working properly - but even after multiple visits to the service center, they could not fix it.

- I once opted for paid pick-up and drop facility. But the driver stole lots of petrol and drove 100 kms extra! That was obviously the last time I ever opted for such a "service".

- Another service center guy dropped some kind of liquid on the back leather seats because of which it had a 4 cm diameter ugly blotch.

The car was very good though!

Last edited by smartcat : 26th June 2011 at 15:17.
Old 26th June 2011, 15:20   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

In comparison, Honda does seem quite expensive to maintain.
It is a used Civic, after all, with some parts replacements falling due. A better comparison would be what I spent on my new Civic over 15k kms in the same 10 month period.

First service - INR 45 (wiper fluid top-up)
Second service - INR 0
Third service - INR 3648 (oil change + some other consumables)
Fourth service - INR ~1150

That's a total or INR ~4850 for a little over 15k kms, which is nearly the same as what you incurred on WA.

Quote:
Also, note that your earlier Optra never had any rattle issues. Same here, till date not a squeak nor a rattle from any corner of the car.

This is one thing I'm disappointed with Honda about. Rattles cropped up fairly quickly on my BQ. Of course I drive her on some *rough* terrain on a daily basis. Around half of my daily commute is on concrete roads (rough/bumpy) and non-existent roads (dirt tracks or heavily potholed and full of tall 'breakers). Perhaps that is an issue. My colleague who picked up a Civic AT a month or so after me hasn't reported a single rattle to date.

The other truth is that Varun Maruti treated me like a king whenever I drove in in my 800. More importantly they got the job done. Pride Honda treats me like an emperor, but issues remain unsolved .

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   Reply With Quote