Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread

Old 16th December 2011, 20:23   #211
BHPian

Default Re: My Blue Beast....I meant my new Chevrolet Cruze Automatic

Hi fellow bhpians,

I finally got my fuel pipe changed as well as the 20000km service done together today.

The information which my service adviser gave me is that there are a total of 3000 affected cruzes in India and he told me 450 of them were from his dealership only(which I doubt) and they have replaced fuel pipes of about 70 yet.

The fuel pipe change took about 1 hour and was a fairly simple process unlike it sounds,
they open the bonnet, unclip the fuel pipe from the engine, then lift the car,unclip the fuel pipe from the base of the car and then pull the pipe out and inserted the new one .

The 20,000km service costed about Rs4000 and the break up is:-
Rs 1000 for the paid service
Rs800 for the labour
Rs 350 for the fuel treatment
Rs 800 for the exhaust system polishing
Rs 1100 for the A/C filter.

I've done 20000km on it in 18 months and it's been more or less a smooth journey till now.

My observations in my run with my cruze are:-
1)The engine is a beast and always gives you that smile which you want
2)The auto gearbox is a gem and does away with any lag which is felt on the manual ones.
3)The auto tranny in no way makes you feel any lack in power or torque
4)It's reasonably expensive to maintain.(Maybe its my first diesel and first chevy so I was not used to it after driving hondas for years)
In the run till now,the major expenses have been Rs17000 roughly for the 15k service +Rs 16000 roughly for the breakpads and now the 3rd service for about Rs 4000 and the first three services were obviously free of cost.(So roughly Rs 40,000 on maintainance till now itself)
5)Though I have not driven it much on the highway , its a pleasure to drive on the highways and the continentals make handling this beast a pleasure and does away with the critics who don't appreciate its handling
6)City average is just about average at about 7.5kmpl but on the highway its a different story where it often gives me 17kmpl if I maintain about 110-120 with a light foot
7)The break pads lasted till about 16k which I think is early but not very early for a diesel but replacing them was expensive.
8)The battery died in in just over one year and though it was replaced under warranty it wasn't good to digest that the battery just lasted 13 months.
9)The AC fan speed problem seems to be a common problem and gets irritating at occasions.
10)the rear headroom initially appears to be tight is actually not and once you sit in the rear with the front seat pushed forward its a pretty comfortable rear seat.
11)The sheer pleasure of shutting the doors with the typical thud is still a treat to the ears.
12)The features offered on this car have made me to used to them and I miss them while driving my civic or even my accord.
13)It still looks a beast and is in my opinion still the best looking car in its segment.

I would appreciate your comments and questions and would be glad if my thread has been of any help to someone
Old 17th December 2011, 09:34   #212
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by np23 View Post
The 20,000km service costed about Rs4000 and the break up is:-
Rs 1000 for the paid service
Rs800 for the labour
Rs 350 for the fuel treatment
Rs 800 for the exhaust system polishing
Rs 1100 for the A/C filter.

I've done 20000km on it in 18 months and it's been more or less a smooth journey till now.
Nice to know the fuel pipe change was a smooth process. Btw, the costing seem quite high in your case

What is Paid service and labour? There should be only one component from these two. I seriously feel they are taking you for a ride. I will see if i can post my 20K kms bill if i can find it here.

Did you ask them to change the AC filter? If no, why they are changing? I havent got it changed till now and my AC works like a charm except for blower speed which is also resolved completely last weekend.

Quote:
My observations in my run with my cruze are:-

4)It's reasonably expensive to maintain.(Maybe its my first diesel and first chevy so I was not used to it after driving hondas for years)
In the run till now,the major expenses have been Rs17000 roughly for the 15k service +Rs 16000 roughly for the breakpads and now the 3rd service for about Rs 4000 and the first three services were obviously free of cost.(So roughly Rs 40,000 on maintainance till now itself)
Wow! thats Rs.2/km which is extremely expensive. My maintenance cost is roughly Rs.0.50/km. Wonder why and how can their be such a huge difference for the same car??

Quote:
5)Though I have not driven it much on the highway , its a pleasure to drive on the highways and the continentals make handling this beast a pleasure and does away with the critics who don't appreciate its handling
Your are not enjoying the real potential of Cruze as it performs best on the highway. Infact, on highways its a different beast altogether and makes you appreciate it even more.

Quote:
6)City average is just about average at about 7.5kmpl but on the highway its a different story where it often gives me 17kmpl if I maintain about 110-120 with a light foot
Again thats terrible city FE. Iam an agressive driver and with 100% AC my city FE till date has never dropped below 11kmpl and is almost consistent at 11.50kmpl.

On a recent drive to Tirupati, where I did 1350kms in < 36 hours. I got the best highway mileage of 15+kmpl

Quote:
7)The break pads lasted till about 16k which I think is early but not very early for a diesel but replacing them was expensive.
My ODO reading is nearing 22,000kms and my brake pads are still going strong. No squeak, No sound which are the initial symptoms of brake pad failure

However, the initial brutal stopping power has considerably reduced. Hence, my speeds too have reduced accordingly

I reckon they will last me another 3K-4K kms easily

Quote:
8)The battery died in in just over one year and though it was replaced under warranty it wasn't good to digest that the battery just lasted 13 months.
Which battery did your car come with? Honestly, speaking i never even peaked into my engine bay to see the brand of the battery. Will do it today as getting some minor ICE work done.

Had a peaceful life with battery as well till now.

Quote:
9)The AC fan speed problem seems to be a common problem and gets irritating at occasions.
This was the only issue that troubled me from the begining and last week it got completely resolved. Atleast I think its resolved because its one week since i got the problem fixed and it hasnt re-occured. In the past, it use to re-occur within 24 hours.

Quote:
13)It still looks a beast and is in my opinion still the best looking car in its segment.
Undoubtedly. There isnt any car below 20 Lakhs that can match the extra macho and sinewy lines of the Cruze. The stares that i still get makes my day every now and then.
Old 17th December 2011, 09:58   #213
Team-BHP Support

7.5kmpl is really low FE even if it is an AT box like yours. Maybe get it checked. I was thinking closer to 9-9.5kmpl.
Old 17th December 2011, 11:55   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Nice to know the fuel pipe change was a smooth process. Btw, the costing seem quite high in your case
Yes , on the phone they told me it takes about 3 hours after the regular service however I think now they've got used to it so they were quick.
Quote:
What is Paid service and labour? There should be only one component from these two. I seriously feel they are taking you for a ride. I will see if i can post my 20K kms bill if i can find it here.
Well I have no idea about this but I guess from now on I will definitely question them.
Quote:
Did you ask them to change the AC filter? If no, why they are changing? I havent got it changed till now and my AC works like a charm except for blower speed which is also resolved completely last weekend.
the service advisor wrote on the job to check and change air & A/C filters and though they found the air filter to be fine , the A/C filter was torn so they had to change it

Quote:
Wow! thats Rs.2/km which is extremely expensive. My maintenance cost is roughly Rs.0.50/km. Wonder why and how can their be such a huge difference for the same car??
I agree , I'm roughly paying 4 times more than you however the major chunk is the breakpad which cost a bomb and you've been lucky that you haven't got to get them replaced yet

[QUOTE}
Your are not enjoying the real potential of Cruze as it performs best on the highway. Infact, on highways its a different beast altogether and makes you appreciate it even more.
[/quote]
I agree but I seldom go alone on the highway and whenever I travel with my family or friends the accord is definitely a better choice.

However I do take it on the greater noida expressway once in a while to unleash its true power
Quote:
Again thats terrible city FE. Iam an agressive driver and with 100% AC my city FE till date has never dropped below 11kmpl and is almost consistent at 11.50kmpl.

On a recent drive to Tirupati, where I did 1350kms in < 36 hours. I got the best highway mileage of 15+kmpl
I know I'm getting low FE ,delhi traffic + automatic + A/C but still 7.5 is not good;its almost the same as my civic.
On the highway I get about 17 which is better than the manual maybe because of the additional 6th gear for cruising
Quote:
My ODO reading is nearing 22,000kms and my brake pads are still going strong. No squeak, No sound which are the initial symptoms of brake pad failure

However, the initial brutal stopping power has considerably reduced. Hence, my speeds too have reduced accordingly

I reckon they will last me another 3K-4K kms easily
My lasted about 17k and its good to know that your break pads are still going good,maybe because you dont need to press the brake all the time like in the autos.

It's always good to keep your mind over your heart and accelerate according to the car's leather and not the horses.

Quote:
Which battery did your car come with? Honestly, speaking i never even peaked into my engine bay to see the brand of the battery. Will do it today as getting some minor ICE work done.

Had a peaceful life with battery as well till now.
It came with ACDelco and now I have been given exide.Infact all new cruze's come with exide only.
There was an issue with Acdelco and hence they are even replacing it after the 1 year warranty on the battery.
Even my battery didnt give me any problem until one morning where it simply refused to start.
Infact I went to London for a month and my car was parked in my garrage and when I came back it drove perfectly for 2 days but the 3rd morning it refused to start.

I would suggest you to get it changed incase you have acdelco just as a precaution.

Quote:
This was the only issue that troubled me from the begining and last week it got completely resolved. Atleast I think its resolved because its one week since i got the problem fixed and it hasnt re-occured. In the past, it use to re-occur within 24 hours.
Solving ice problems these days has become a very simple process now and instead of tackling the problem all they've started doing is inserting the laptop and resetting all parameters.
Glad it hasn't repeated itself

Quote:
Undoubtedly. There isnt any car below 20 Lakhs that can match the extra macho and sinewy lines of the Cruze. The stares that i still get makes my day every now and then.
You bet,I think not only every cruze fan but even others will endorse this fact
Old 17th December 2011, 12:47   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
7.5kmpl is really low FE even if it is an AT box like yours. Maybe get it checked. I was thinking closer to 9-9.5kmpl.
I will point out to them, thank you.
I get about 9.5 without the AC these days.
Old 21st December 2011, 10:10   #216
BHPian

Hello
I to got the battery replaced free of cost , Ac delco did have a problem with their product.I had to replace both front and rear brake pads at 19500 and 20000km respectively.

I have been called by Geeyem Motors to get the fuel line replaced . should do possibly today
Quote:
I will point out to them, thank you.
I get about 9.5 without the AC these days.
Hi Np
I get a FE of 10.5 to 10.8 on cochin roads , traffic is not as bad as what you have in delhi .

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 21st December 2011 at 15:14.
Old 11th October 2012, 13:00   #217
BHPian

Not to bring a thread out of the dead, but I've got an Cruze AT as well.

I've had to get the brake pads changed today at 19,000 KM (Cost was Rs.7500 (Front) + 6500 (Rear) + 1800 (Disc skimming)

Also, they are changing my battery, as the car was "self'ing" a lot.

Mumbai roads give me a FE of barely 8KMPL (always with AC and almost always driving like a tool). It has gone as low as 7.5KMPL once though.

A trip to Lonavala and back, gives me about 9.5KMPL, which isn't all that bad since about 50% is still in city traffic (and Mumbai city traffic, not to mention passing Chembur is insane).

Last edited by Ad1tya : 11th October 2012 at 13:03.
Ad1tya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2012, 02:30   #218
BHPian

Ad1tya - nice to know that are enjoying your cruze and appreciate you mentioning the FE that you get in Mumbai Traffic. Its really alarming low and since even I am planning to buy the AT version, I am little skeptical. A manual Cruze will give a mileage of around 11 irrespective of the way you drive and which is really acceptable but the low mileage of 7.5 is making me to reconsider the and plan for the manual.
Old 24th April 2013, 15:42   #219
BHPian

Mods, I have sold my cruze as I am moving to London for an year and there was no point of the car standing idle at home.
I request to kindly delete this thread as it is no more my car and the new owner's property and right.
Thanks
Old 24th April 2013, 15:52   #220
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Mods, I have sold my cruze as I am moving to London for an year and there was no point of the car standing idle at home.
I request to kindly delete this thread as it is no more my car and the new owner's property and right.
Thanks
Thread locked as car is sold but we don't delete ownership threads as it contains useful information for other members.

Thanks,

Team-BHP Support
Closed Thread