Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2011, 21:54   #406
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: India
Posts: 673
Thanked: 138 Times
Default re: Poloman's Polo has arrived, Edit: 1 year, 13025Km, First service update

5W 40 castrol magnatec engine oil? If I am not wrong 01 ltr costs around 970/-. The bill is showing ~3.7K, or is this something else.

Wheel balancing 1.4K, I guess these dealer guys are utilizing the 1 yr service interval

Overall bill is on the higher side, but its good car is delivered to you as expected.

Washing should be free, not sure why different dealer of the same company have different rules, whenever the dealer in Pune washed my car they never charged anything, for very small reason i went to them - stone stuck making screeching noise, p/w etc. May be during first service they`ll include the charges too.

Any s/w codes shared with you?
AvonA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 22:06   #407
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,019
Thanked: 526 Times
Default re: Poloman's Polo has arrived, Edit: 1 year, 13025Km, First service update

I think the oil is billed for full refill, aproximately may come to 3.5 litres. I was very much upset with the washing charges included in the bill which should have been complimentary and blasted the SM. Also because parallely a free summer camp was going on with lot of checks including, washing given out free. He mumbled something like the camp is for selected customers chosen by VW directly. But could not explain the criteria for selection. If that is the case a clear case of discrimination by VW.
The one year service period is good in a way that time,fuel and energy spent in the consecutive visits to service centres is saved. I did not even top up the oil.
4818,57D7,97T9,97U2 updates were done on the car.

Last edited by poloman : 26th May 2011 at 22:13.
poloman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 22:13   #408
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: India
Posts: 673
Thanked: 138 Times
Default re: Poloman's Polo has arrived, Edit: 1 year, 13025Km, First service update

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
4818,57D7,97T9,97U2 updates were done on the car.
The s/w codes are same as mentioned by @sadnabrina.
It would be interesting to know from somebody who already completed the first service few months earlier - did they receive any call from VW to bring their car to showroom for these s/w upgrade.

Last edited by AvonA7 : 26th May 2011 at 22:15. Reason: change
AvonA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 22:51   #409
Senior - BHPian
 
theragingbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,602
Thanked: 611 Times
Default re: Poloman's Polo has arrived, Edit: 1 year, 13025Km, First service update

Rs.450 for washing!! Are you serious? Each time that I have taken my Polo to the workshop at VW Downtown Mumbai, I have been given a free car wash and interior cleaning. Always. Even without asking! Consumables is another thing they've overcharged you. Ask them what all have they bought for 600 bucks!

At a recent summer check-up, my Polo's air filter and and AC filter were also cleaned free of charge.
theragingbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 23:06   #410
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,019
Thanked: 526 Times
Default re: Poloman's Polo has arrived, Edit: 1 year, 13025Km, First service update

Guys in Bangalore knows how to make money than any one else. God only knows what comsumables they used for 600/-.
Can you clarify on this summer camp thing? is this open to all or participation by invite only?

Forgot to mention parts/items worth around 867/- was changed under warranty. I think this is a part of standard recall procedure to fix some widely reported bugs. The copy of that bill was not provided to me.

Last edited by poloman : 26th May 2011 at 23:07.
poloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 23:14   #411
BHPian
 
Soccerfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kochi
Posts: 591
Thanked: 54 Times
Default re: Poloman's Polo has arrived, Edit: 1 year, 13025Km, First service update

No free service for volkswagen?????? The rates are a total rip off :(
Soccerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 00:34   #412
Senior - BHPian
 
theragingbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,602
Thanked: 611 Times
Default re: Poloman's Polo has arrived, Edit: 1 year, 13025Km, First service update

@poloman...summer camp is open to all. I didn't even know it was there until I visited the workshop for an issue. VW should have at least intimated about that.

@Soccerfan...who gives free service nowadays? The engine oil cost is always borne by the owner.
theragingbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 00:53   #413
Senior - BHPian
 
gaurav_chopra04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,256
Thanked: 534 Times
Default re: Poloman's Polo has arrived, Edit: 1 year, 13025Km, First service update

Well, I am bit surprised here..our polo's service costed about 6800, excluding interior dry cleaning of Rs.1100/-, which I opted for. Of course, I didnt opt for wheel balancing as there was no need for the same, no bubbling witnessed, so why pay Rs500/- plus weights with out a reason, but then I see your cabin AC filter and fuel filter was not changed.

Why isnt VW following same service schedule for all the cars..whats the GGE for 450 and consumables for 650, mentioned in the bill and why is the oil charged at 3700??

my service details follows below..

Parts
Oil Filter:- 108
Air Filter:-295
Fuel Filter :- 413
AC Filter:- 667
Distil Water:- 20
Wind Screen Cleaner:- 202
Seal Ring:- 13
Drain Plug:- 55
Engine Oil 5W 40:- 2897

All the above parts excluding Engine oil includes 12.5% VAT, and Oil prices includes 20% VAT.

Labour
Interior Cleaning:- 1103
Paid Service:- 1269
Synthetic Lubrication:- 331
Wheel Alignment:- 540
All the above labour charges include Edu cess @3% and Service Charge @ 10%.

Total Bill:- 7,912/-

In fact, I was just smiling when the advisor told me the segregation while billing, wind screen washer at 200, distil water at 20, wheel alignment at 540 and synthetic lubrication at 330. Synthetic Lubrication is some kinda lubrication that according to service station is applied to suspension parts. Also, did 5 Wheel rotation, no extra charges for the same.

PS: the car takes only 3L of oil.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 27th May 2011 at 00:58.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 01:38   #414
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,839
Thanked: 7,203 Times
Default re: Poloman's Polo has arrived, Edit: 1 year, 13025Km, First service update

"free" service is like "free" calls --- the real meaning is not free at all, but included in the price.


Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 09:02   #415
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,019
Thanked: 526 Times
Default re: Poloman's Polo has arrived, Edit: 1 year, 13025Km, First service update

Gaurav, I had also told them to do the alignment only not balancing since there was no wobbling or any perceivable issues. But the logic for not doing alignment was that the SA during test drive did not experience any pull. So decided that was not required. I tried to argue how can a test drive decide whether alignment is required or not. But they told they are trained proffesionals and can pick all these things by just test driving. VW can even think of replacing alignment jig with trained eyes. I did not have any more energy to argue. Any ways they were ready to do that for an additional amount of Rs750. So a wheel balancing+ alignment in the service center will cost you a whopping 2.2K.I've had enough of this rip off and will get that done that in some good tyre shop outside.

How critical are the fuel filter and a/c filter change? Is VW recommending these changes in the first service?
Also what is the recommended mileage for getting the alignment done. My car has done 13K.
I did not get any left over engine oil. Looks like again a big rip off.

Last edited by poloman : 27th May 2011 at 09:05.
poloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 10:55   #416
BHPian
 
parimal_g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 435
Thanked: 174 Times
Default re: Poloman's Polo has arrived, Edit: 1 year, 13025Km, First service update

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Well, I am bit surprised here..our polo's service costed about 6800, excluding interior dry cleaning of Rs.1100/-, which I opted for. Of course, I didnt opt for wheel balancing as there was no need for the same, no bubbling witnessed, so why pay Rs500/- plus weights with out a reason, but then I see your cabin AC filter and fuel filter was not changed.

Why isnt VW following same service schedule for all the cars..whats the GGE for 450 and consumables for 650, mentioned in the bill and why is the oil charged at 3700??

my service details follows below..

Parts
Oil Filter:- 108
Air Filter:-295
Fuel Filter :- 413
AC Filter:- 667
Distil Water:- 20
Wind Screen Cleaner:- 202
Seal Ring:- 13
Drain Plug:- 55
Engine Oil 5W 40:- 2897

All the above parts excluding Engine oil includes 12.5% VAT, and Oil prices includes 20% VAT.

Labour
Interior Cleaning:- 1103
Paid Service:- 1269
Synthetic Lubrication:- 331
Wheel Alignment:- 540
All the above labour charges include Edu cess @3% and Service Charge @ 10%.

Total Bill:- 7,912/-

In fact, I was just smiling when the advisor told me the segregation while billing, wind screen washer at 200, distil water at 20, wheel alignment at 540 and synthetic lubrication at 330. Synthetic Lubrication is some kinda lubrication that according to service station is applied to suspension parts. Also, did 5 Wheel rotation, no extra charges for the same.

PS: the car takes only 3L of oil.
Do you have petrol Polo..?, as Fuel Filter look very reasonable, and Why this Synthetic Lubrication charged under Labour, why charges for Drain plug i know its only 55 but still, was it damaged during service..?The service centers charges for even grease if they need to apply, i was even charged for Cleaning agent during servicing, ideally they should cover these under servicing charges(Am talking about Tata Fiat).

Last edited by parimal_g : 27th May 2011 at 10:57. Reason: Some changes
parimal_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 12:39   #417
Senior - BHPian
 
Captain Slow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,256
Thanked: 649 Times
Default re: Poloman's Polo has arrived, Edit: 1 year, 13025Km, First service update

Rs 8,600 for first service? Even a 20Lakh Fortuner SUVs first service isnt so expensive! WHAT IS VW India thinking?
How expensive will the 3-4 th major service be?
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 12:55   #418
Senior - BHPian
 
gaurav_chopra04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,256
Thanked: 534 Times
Default re: Poloman's Polo has arrived, Edit: 1 year, 13025Km, First service update

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Gaurav, I had also told them to do the alignment only not balancing since there was no wobbling or any perceivable issues. But the logic for not doing alignment was that the SA during test drive did not experience any pull. So decided that was not required. I tried to argue how can a test drive decide whether alignment is required or not. But they told they are trained proffesionals and can pick all these things by just test driving. VW can even think of replacing alignment jig with trained eyes. I did not have any more energy to argue. Any ways they were ready to do that for an additional amount of Rs750. So a wheel balancing+ alignment in the service center will cost you a whopping 2.2K.I've had enough of this rip off and will get that done that in some good tyre shop outside.
This wont have costed over Rs.6-700 max from outside. Its certainly a rip off. The dealer is taking people for a ride. If the issue is not persistant, why ask customer to still get it done. And then these are basic issues known to many owners now and they can very well decide if they want to get it done or not.

In fact, the SA in my case never even pushed to get alignment done, but since it was 15k on the clock, I felt it is anyways time to get it checked. I agree that a trained eye can catch even a slight alignment issue but Polo anyways have a slight left pull due to some sensor positioning. So in this case, I'd rather get alignment done. My cedia's alignment didnt go wrong from 25 to 54k kms but I still got it checked at 43k kms when I got new tyres.

In your case, I'd say either get alignment done or keep an eye for uneven tyre wear at front.


Quote:
How critical are the fuel filter and a/c filter change? Is VW recommending these changes in the first service?
Well, AC filter if not changed should atleast have been cleaned if it was not in a postioned to be replaced. We have a stupid tree in front of the house which sheds tiny leaves all year and makes AC service mandatory every 2 years for all cars at home. Polo supposedly is the only car in sub 15 lac segment which is coming with a AC filter (dont know about skodas). Civic and cedia have a space for filter but there is no filter installed. Dont worry on this part, if you feel less air from blower or strained AC in future, get it changed. For now, forget about it.

For the fuel filter, only God or VW can tell, whats is its actual recommended change interval. It differs from one car to another, for example 800 - 20k kms, swift - 20k kms, lancer - 20k kms, civic - 40k kms, cedia - 1 lac kms. But then paying Rs. 400 for polo even at 15k is better than 4k at every 40k kms for civic or 22k at 1 lac kms for complete fuel pump assembly of cedia. Still, let me pull out the car's manual and check, if I get any information there.

Quote:
Also what is the recommended mileage for getting the alignment done. My car has done 13K.
Alignment of the car mostly depends on the roads you drive on. It may last as little as 1-2k kms and as long as 30k (what I have witnessed). Alignment of new cars can last 20k kms plus easily if driven on normal roads as suspension is new. As the suspension wears, the intervals may also shorten. I'd recomment you get alignment done and get 5 wheel rotation also done.

Quote:
I did not get any left over engine oil. Looks like again a big rip off.
You can question them on the same, you have your "right to information". They cannot sell you the oil at more than MRP price which for castrol magnetic 5W 40 is Rs.970/-

Quote:
Originally Posted by parimal_g View Post
Do you have petrol Polo..?, as Fuel Filter look very reasonable, and Why this Synthetic Lubrication charged under Labour, why charges for Drain plug i know its only 55 but still, was it damaged during service..?The service centers charges for even grease if they need to apply, i was even charged for Cleaning agent during servicing, ideally they should cover these under servicing charges(Am talking about Tata Fiat).
Yes mine is Petrol 1.2. Very nice point, why lubrication under labour? Worth a thought. I dont know and I missed asking. Will ask about it next time I visit ASC. VW changes Drain Plug for all cars at every service, according to them, once it is loosened, it cannot be tighened back to the same perfection. The same tightening torque funda that goes in when tightening the Engine bolts (con rods, piston, head, etc).

Most ASCs charge even for small miscellaneous things. In real, they mean nothing, and its just a rip off. But then this also differs from OEM to OEM and dealer to dealer. Most M/S dealers are fair, Honda deals are not bad, VW dealers are a bit arrogant, HM-Mitsui dealers are "atleast the customer have come in" kinda attitude, charges only necessary stuff. And TATA deals..lets not talk about the bunch of crooks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Rs 8,600 for first service? Even a 20Lakh Fortuner SUVs first service isnt so expensive! WHAT IS VW India thinking?
How expensive will the 3-4 th major service be?
A few things worth noting here. Does Fortuner take synthetic oil? I know it must betaking about 8 plus Litres of mineral oil but still it works out cheaper than the 3 Litre synthetic. Second, Honda changes oil/oil filter of jazz/city every 5k km/3 months. So, you will end up paying over Rs. 4k at the end of the year only for oil and filter, despite free services and waste more time (= money). Add other filter/alignment/balancing cost when ever necessary and the difference will be negligible.

I am not disputing that charges here are fair. Engine oil is charged more and thats from dealers side; and wheel balancing/alignment charges are atrocious. But still, once is year kinda compensates for it.

For god sake, I paid more then this for my 800, which had oil change evry 5k kms. This is still less..lolzz

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 27th May 2011 at 13:22.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 18:40   #419
BHPian
 
Soccerfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kochi
Posts: 591
Thanked: 54 Times
Default Re: Poloman's Polo has arrived, Edit: 1 year, 13025Km, First service update

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
@poloman...summer camp is open to all. I didn't even know it was there until I visited the workshop for an issue. VW should have at least intimated about that.

@Soccerfan...who gives free service nowadays? The engine oil cost is always borne by the owner.
But in the bill labour is given for almost all jobs
Soccerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2011, 17:05   #420
Senior - BHPian
 
Captain Slow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,256
Thanked: 649 Times
Default Re: Poloman's Polo has arrived, Edit: 1 year, 13025Km, First service update

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post


A few things worth noting here. Does Fortuner take synthetic oil? I know it must betaking about 8 plus Litres of mineral oil but still it works out cheaper than the 3 Litre synthetic. Second, Honda changes oil/oil filter of jazz/city every 5k km/3 months. So, you will end up paying over Rs. 4k at the end of the year only for oil and filter, despite free services and waste more time (= money). Add other filter/alignment/balancing cost when ever necessary and the difference will be negligible.

I am not disputing that charges here are fair. Engine oil is charged more and thats from dealers side; and wheel balancing/alignment charges are atrocious. But still, once is year kinda compensates for it.

For god sake, I paid more then this for my 800, which had oil change evry 5k kms. This is still less..lolzz
Gaurav
My figo is about 14 months old. In 1 year its completed 2 services. Total cost for both services put together wont cross Rs2,000. Second service at 10,000KM
Then yes the figo uses some cheap mineral oil which costs Rs178.00 per litre.
Service interval 10,000KM, which I feel is too much. Car has done 2,000KM after the second service and oil has started turning a little back. No way this oil will last another 8,000KM.
I will have to change oil at 5,000KM intervals

Even if the car takes Synth oil I still feel 8,000 for service is very expensive. That too for a small hatchback.
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done el lobo 6061 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 244 15th October 2016 12:39
VW Polo 1.2L (P) TL - 02 year, 2nd paid service Update AvonA7 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 199 15th September 2016 22:06
Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: Completed 63,500kms !!! mobike008 Long-Term Ownership Reviews 1348 12th January 2015 10:15
Chevy Spark 1 year 9700 Kms on the odo EDIT:15,000km service update vikrantj Long-Term Ownership Reviews 28 23rd January 2014 11:43
I want to buy a Beagle in Bangalore. UPDATE: The DON has arrived! Duboy Shifting gears 38 11th April 2009 13:08


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:04.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks