Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 24th July 2010, 20:09   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj.barcode View Post
Please don't tell me you saw zig wheels and decided on the car; ask around Zigwheels is the worst possible place to find out; Anyway My only intention was tell you what i have experienced first hand in i20. We generally test drive vehicles in NICE road to see its braking, top end and pick up.

Trust me braking was not too inspiring after driving an elantra. Couple of other members also will vouch for it.

Happy motoring
cheers

PS. Braking distance is 60 odd meters for diesel and for petrol it is 43 odd meters; cross check in the company also once.
Ok will check out this later and reply

but cant understand why some one must lock out the team-bhp site on my browser. Looks like some green envy is working.
Johnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2010, 03:06   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Please don't tell me you saw zig wheels and decided on the car; ask around Zigwheels is the worst possible place to find out; Anyway My only intention was tell you what i have experienced first hand in i20. We generally test drive vehicles in NICE road to see its braking, top end and pick up.

Trust me braking was not too inspiring after driving an elantra. Couple of other members also will vouch for it.

Happy motoring
cheers

PS. Braking distance is 60 odd meters for diesel and for petrol it is 43 odd meters; cross check in the company also once.

Overdrive actually appreciates the braking, but distances are high.
Urban airs - Hyundai i20 CRDi - First Drive : Overdrive
The only hatchback in India with discs all around, the i20ís braking is spot on. With ABS assist she maintains her line under braking and even flooring the brake pedal at 100kmph unleashes little or no drama. She takes 4.13s and 65.36m to standstill from 100kmph and 29.56m from 80kmph to standstill.

Comparison between Hyundai i20 Crdi, Fiat Grande Punto Multijet, Maruti Ritz DDIS || Gearbox, Driver's appeal, Ride Quality, Handeling.
Braking (with ABS standard on test cars)
Fiat Punto: 7.5 /10
Hyundai I 20: 9 /10
maruti Ritz: 8 /10
As expected, the I 20 performed the best in the braking tests and showed no signs of fade, part owed to its rear ventilated disc brakes, standard on all diesel models. the pedal feel is precise and accurate, no complaints here.
The ritz for its size performed superbly, with the ABS system cutting a bit early for safety purposes, though the pedal feels a bit over served.
The Punto, again has good brakes, but typical of many Fiat cars, the pedal feel is artificial and spongy and the main concern is brake pads are prone to fade on the test car.Otherwise, for daily use, its pretty OK.

Hyundai i20 1,6 - Road Tests | CAR Magazine
Our brake test routine of 10 emergency stops from 100 km/h averaged out at 2,99 seconds, aided by ABS with EBD (electronic brake-force distribution).

Expert Car Review Hyundai i20 - Car Review Hyundai i20, Hyundai-i20 REVIEW - India - CarSalesIndia.com
The braking capability and the ease with which the i20 sheds speeds further boost the driverís confidence.

BUT
Hyundai i20 1.4 Diesel Test Drive Review
(see pic of 180 kmph speed at 3600 rpm)
Ride, Handling and Braking - Super minis are all about huge things in small packages. The i20 is expected to be the same. The car rides on 14 inch Apollo Acelere tires which to be brutally honest ruin the dynamics of the car to a fantastic extent. On paper the i20 has it covered but on road its quite a different scenario. Ride is quite unsettled and the car seems to transfer lots of bumps into the cabin. The i20 is the initially hatchback to boast of all veer discs and it does help. Stamp on the brakes and the i20 retards speed with utmost urgency. But similar brake tests on higher speeds reveal the lack of confidence. Brake hard from speeds above 100kmph and the i20 has tendency to of line. Infact, braking hard over 120 kmph will result in you landing in a different lane altogether.
However
Conclusion - For an average hatchback buyer, the i20 strikes all the right chords. It has clad ride, handling and braking and brilliant built quality. A Very powerful engine with very excellent fuel economy and loads of space both in cabin and boot is more than you can expect. It might be very expensive to buy but it comes loaded with ample amount of equipment including a few segment firsts like 6 airbags and rear discs. It might not be perfect but it easily is one of the best hatchbacks money can buy. The Hyundai i20 is a jack of all trades and a master of some.

So Ok care needed
Johnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2010, 22:09   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patil View Post
Really a capable car and worth the money you pay for it. Sad that no more sun roof, six airbags and rear disc brakes verision available on diesel varients.
============
My grandmother who is about 75 years old is all praises for its back seat comfort and ride quality and overall nvh levles and always prefers it over my ritz zxi.
All wheel disc brakes with ABS & EBD is still available on BS-IV CRDi 6-Speed Asta.
aa_asif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2010, 23:45   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I currently own a i20 CRDi and a CRV 2.0. And from what I can tell, there is not that much difference between the two!!

Obviously the CRV is better, but not my that much of a margin.

A contributing factor to this might be that my i20 is on Michelin XM1+ .. possibly that improves the grip... as compared to the Apollos.
AbhiJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2010, 11:05   #50
BHPian

Mr. Johnn, No play while braking doesn't mean effective braking. In Emergency distance is very important so is stability.
What the use if it doesn't stop in time even though it is stable; Thats my point. When the rear drums of Punto can give similar stability if not same but stop 20mts+ less, then i would prefer punto to I20.

P.S: finally you did accept that the stopping distance parameters is very high for a car with such a brilliant engine and interiors.
raj.barcode is offline   Reply With Quote