Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 13th June 2010, 09:30   #16
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful review. I think i've started appreciating the new wagon R after reading your review.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2010, 10:02   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

@-NUT-case, lovely color.
Quote:
bottle : congrats! which shop did you get the bpillar stickering done at?
Bottle, do you know that that's an Easy DIY. I pick up the stickers at about 25/- a sq ft, and do it to my satisfaction. Typically, 4 sq ft is more than sufficient to do a job much better than these people do. Check my Ikon thread.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2010, 10:46   #18
BHPian

Nice practical review nut-case. The dark chocolate color in Ritz/WagonR is a nice color indeed. If I were you though, the one thing I wouldn't have done is the wheel blackening -- I somehow prefer the silver wheelcaps)
quadmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2010, 11:05   #19
Senior - BHPian

hi buddy, excellent choice & nice colour too. i liked the idea of painting wheels matt black, looks good & is cost effective too.

but one suggestion regarding the blackening of B pillar. if you notice in the pic, you can see the brown shade of paint in the gap between the doors, marked by red rectangle. please stick the black vinyl on the inside of the doors too to maintain that fluidity.

i have done this on my scorpio too. the shopkeeper wont do this unless specifically told to him.
Attached Thumbnails
Why I was stupid enough to buy a '10 WagonR VXI. EDIT : 6,000 kms update on pg.6-img_3508.jpg  

Why I was stupid enough to buy a '10 WagonR VXI. EDIT : 6,000 kms update on pg.6-dsc_0083.jpg  

raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2010, 13:14   #20
Senior - BHPian

good car. acres of space inside after the elongated wheel base.

Sorry to say, the wheels are not looking good. IMHO it should not be matching with body color.
amit_mechengg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2010, 13:45   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
Hello,

Congrats!!! and enjoy the car.And please keep us posted with your reviews.
Cheers ,
Naj
Thank you.
If you read the comments from the Eddys "Test drive and review" thread you would be better able to understand the Title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Rated the thread 5 stars because this has a nice amount of detail, solid rationale behind product purchase, and minimal but high quality mods.

The only thing I am not that happy about, is the title of the thread, seems a trifle gimmicky. -Nut-Case, please don't be offended by that comment, it's purely my personal opinion.

If you don't mind my asking, what was the reason that the Vista got knocked out of the fight?
Thank you for the rating. I agree the title could have been better. The car would mostly be used by my wife once i get a diesel sedan for my use and the vista is too big a car for her stature. Also i was not ready to spend the time and effort dealing with TATA A*S*S*.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I like the new Wagon R and I love this color.
Nice review,thanks for sharing
Congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Whoa! What a long OP. Nice car. Congrats on the new purchase. Drive safe!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
good writeup, nice standing out mods.
Congrats on the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Wonderful review. I think i've started appreciating the new wagon R after reading your review.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@-NUT-case, lovely color.
Thank you all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiatMyLife View Post
Congrats on the WagonR!
The title says 1000k review. What does this mean? You drove 1000*1000 kms already or it means 1000kms review?!
A slip up which stands corrected already courtesy our ever vigilant MODS

Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Congrats on your new WagonR. Do post about the music system's sound quality and F.E. along with more pics. Your car looks yummy

How is the A/C, is it powerful enough to cool the car within say 15-30 minutes during afternoons? I had a tough time with the call taxis this summer with their inefficient A/C's, they almost were like Air Cooler than Air Conditioner.

And 'Blue Eyed Boy' means the favourite one. Considering the sales that it is returning to Maruti and the Blue lights on the head lamp cluster, I think it is an apt name.
The music system is good when you consider it comes at this price. It gives you clear sound at human levels of hearing . And it has all the functions inbuilt (CD,radio,Aux,USB).

The AC is soo good that I use it at fan speed 2 even in the afternoon and it is more than enough to cool the cabin in about 3 min.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadmaniac View Post
Nice practical review nut-case. The dark chocolate color in Ritz/WagonR is a nice color indeed. If I were you though, the one thing I wouldn't have done is the wheel blackening -- I somehow prefer the silver wheelcaps)
The reason I painted the wheel caps was because with silver caps the wheels were looking very very small in the wheel well . It was more obvious in the VXI trim as it comes with lower profile tyres . With black caps the wheels merges with the wheel well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
hi buddy, excellent choice & nice colour too. i liked the idea of painting wheels matt black, looks good & is cost effective too.

but one suggestion regarding the blackening of B pillar. if you notice in the pic, you can see the brown shade of paint in the gap between the doors, marked by red rectangle. please stick the black vinyl on the inside of the doors too to maintain that fluidity.
i have done this on my scorpio too. the shopkeeper wont do this unless specifically told to him.
Yes, i did notice it after stickering. It is because the panel gaps are quite big. Will see if i can get it blacked out in future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
good car. acres of space inside after the elongated wheel base.

Sorry to say, the wheels are not looking good. IMHO it should not be matching with body color.
I like it this way. I have given the reason why above.

Last edited by -NUT-case : 13th June 2010 at 13:49.
-NUT-case is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2010, 14:29   #22
BHPian

Default The road trip.

We had planned a trip to Ernakulam from chennai and on to Munnar and back again. Decided to leave on the 19th early morning and reach ernakulam by evening.

The anticipation of a holiday and especially a road trip had the whole family excited.
We bought a few snacks for the kids to eat on the way, had the tank filled and tire pressure checked.
All the luggage was packed and loaded onto the car the previous night. Every nook and cranny of the car was stuffed with things. I even found some space under the back seat on the side for a few small items. I badly missed more storage space. With 4 people the 60:40 split folding back seat becomes useless.

My son, also 6 ( twins) refused to sleep and insisted on getting dressed and was planning to sit up the whole night but gave up his plan at around 12 midnight and was fast asleep.

We had planned to start at about 4.30 am so as to be outside the city before sunrise but ended up starting at about 5.30 Am.
There is something magical about starting on a trip when it is still dark and all the people around are still sleeping. You feel a solitutude that is very rare to find, especially in a city.
The previouos night there was a thunderstorm in the middle of summer and as we went on our way, saw a lot of broken tree branches and leaves everywhere. Thankfully the thunderstorm had passed and there was no rain.
In a way it was good beacause the rain had reduced the temp which was hovering near the 40c mark and it was a pleasant morning. The pleasant weather continued throughout the trip and we never saw the sun that day.

The car with a full load was not very nimble but pulled along gamely. The power band for this car is between 2000 - 4000 RMP. Stay within this and it is a good engine to pull you along.
This demands a slightly agressive style of driving whereby you can keep your speed and RPM up.
Anything below that and the engine struggles to gain speed especially with AC on.Whenever we faced an uphill climb, the lack of power in the engine was immediately obvious.
On the highway it was not a bad handler as i had feared. The steering was steady and gave you confidence even at 120 or above.
Compared to the santro which above 100 feels very unstable, this new WagonR seems much better.

Giving Chocobar a rest.
Why I was stupid enough to buy a '10 WagonR VXI. EDIT : 6,000 kms update on pg.6-img_3559.jpg

How they transport bikes by road- with bubblewrap and tires!

Why I was stupid enough to buy a '10 WagonR VXI. EDIT : 6,000 kms update on pg.6-img_0062.jpg

Three huge tractors on one lorry

Why I was stupid enough to buy a '10 WagonR VXI. EDIT : 6,000 kms update on pg.6-img_3566.jpg

Why I was stupid enough to buy a '10 WagonR VXI. EDIT : 6,000 kms update on pg.6-img_3567.jpg

I tried to maintan a speed of about 80KMH at about 2500 rpm as it was a new engine. The ODO read about 300km when we started the trip.

On the way occasionally the urge to push the engine was too much to resist and at one stretch of straight highway it touched 140kmh. At that speed it starts to feel a little over the cars limit. As we took frequent breaks, by the time we reached Palghat it was 5.30 pm.

I have traveled many a KM on highways of old like this one section we came across when we took a shortcut
Why I was stupid enough to buy a '10 WagonR VXI. EDIT : 6,000 kms update on pg.6-img_3599.jpg

Some friends we met up on the way.They said HI! to TBHP
Why I was stupid enough to buy a '10 WagonR VXI. EDIT : 6,000 kms update on pg.6-img_3582.jpg

I am King of this tree. What you staring at?

Why I was stupid enough to buy a '10 WagonR VXI. EDIT : 6,000 kms update on pg.6-img_3585.jpg

My 6 yr old sons attempt at wildlife photography.

Why I was stupid enough to buy a '10 WagonR VXI. EDIT : 6,000 kms update on pg.6-img_0110.jpg

At the border of TN and Kerela where the ghat roads near phalghat begins.

Why I was stupid enough to buy a '10 WagonR VXI. EDIT : 6,000 kms update on pg.6-img_3608.jpg

We took another break as the Ghat roads section started with heavy truck traffic and local kerela private buses driven by maniacal drivers trying their best to hit oncoming traffic, made life miserable on the road.

I wonder if all bus driversin kerela have to play the game "road rash" and reach level 10 to get thier commercial drivers liscence. As i was driving along cursing the traffic it started to get dark and that is when the nightmare started.

When we started our trip it had been dark but we were on the excellent 4lane highway in TN and so oncoming headlights did not bother me. But now as it was a single lane 2way traffic, every small light from the opposing lane was causing a blinding haze on the windsheild.

I wondered if my eyesight had deteriorated after my last highway drive. Decided to stop and clean the glass. That is when i noticed a layer of some kind covering the whole windsheild. It refused to be cleaned away even with newspaper and soap.

So the rest of the trip (about 5 hours) was made with me driving almost blind and dead tired. It was made worse by very bad roads for the last 50 - 100 km as there were numerous bridges under construction and road work going on with absolutely inefficient road signs.

Imagine doing 60kmph on a straight road with bad glare and suddenly with out any warning the road ending abruptly with a small hand painted sign reading " take diversion" directing you onto the opposing lane oncoming traffic.

This part i did not enjoy. We reached Ernakulam at 9.30 pm. and man was i glad to reach there safely.
Old 13th June 2010, 17:05   #23
BHPian

Default 1000Km first service and a photolouge to Munnar

The car had done 1000km by this time and was due for first service. Got a couple of calls from MSIL reminding me to get the first service done. As there was an indus showroom nearby decided to get the service done in Ernakulam itself.

Went to Indus service to book an appointment. Told them about the pick-up being below par and also complained about the coating on the windsreen. I also mentioned that i had not received mudflaps when i took delivery and asked him to check if he could replace that plastic facing that the Llumar guys had broken.

The service engineer said they will use some kind of polish to clean the windsheild .

They came and took the car on time with a promise to return it by 12 afternoon. At about 11.30 gave them a call and was told that washing was not done yet because all the workers had gone for prayers !

I did not how to react to that statement and so said yes when they offered to bring the car at around 4.30 pm.

This time they were on time. The car was cleaned and the windshield looked clearer now. One thing i did not notice that day and only noticed later on when i was cleaning the car was that the paint surface especially on the bonnet was covered with swirl marks that had not been there when i gave it for servicing.

I suspect they tried to buff up the paint (causing more harm than good) when the windsheild was polished.
On thinking back I should have asked them not do any kind of polishing for the paint. Was sad that all my hard work in trying to get a good paint finish had been wasted by some careless mechanic.

The mudflaps i was told were still not available and the plastic facing was also not available.

All the parameters were checked and was found to be normal. So i guess the pickup issue is a characteristic of the K10B engine. Somehow i felt the TD vehicles to be better.

A travelouge fo our trip to Munnar.

Considering the reluctance of the K10B engine to tackle any kind of slope, i decided not to take the car for the trip to munnar. Instead we took my FIL's 2004 Indigo diesel which had a cavernous boot and was adept at conquering inclines.

The Indigo did a magnificent job of tackling the hill climb which was done mostly on 2nd and 3rd gear with AC on without any problems.We had 3 wonderful days in munnar and the drive down the slopes was also very nicely handled by the indigo.
I followed my dads advice about hill drives which is "Always use the same gear coming down as going up". This way the engine is used to control speed (engine braking)and this in turn does not strain or heat up your brakes.

The only sore point( sore joint to be more precise) of the trip was my right knee. This was due to the fact the Indigo had done about 95,000km and the clutch was very hard to press.

Nice place to have a meal halfway to munnar

Why I was stupid enough to buy a '10 WagonR VXI. EDIT : 6,000 kms update on pg.6-p1000397.jpg

View from our room's balcony

Why I was stupid enough to buy a '10 WagonR VXI. EDIT : 6,000 kms update on pg.6-p1000466.jpg

Little friend

Why I was stupid enough to buy a '10 WagonR VXI. EDIT : 6,000 kms update on pg.6-p1000360.jpg

Perfection

Why I was stupid enough to buy a '10 WagonR VXI. EDIT : 6,000 kms update on pg.6-img_3831.jpg

Why I was stupid enough to buy a '10 WagonR VXI. EDIT : 6,000 kms update on pg.6-img_3820.jpg

Why I was stupid enough to buy a '10 WagonR VXI. EDIT : 6,000 kms update on pg.6-img_3803.jpg

Hot corn on a cold day

Why I was stupid enough to buy a '10 WagonR VXI. EDIT : 6,000 kms update on pg.6-img_3758.jpg

Giant

Why I was stupid enough to buy a '10 WagonR VXI. EDIT : 6,000 kms update on pg.6-img_3716.jpg

Little experiment with my 3X camera and my Minolta Binoculars

Why I was stupid enough to buy a '10 WagonR VXI. EDIT : 6,000 kms update on pg.6-img_3625.jpg
Why I was stupid enough to buy a '10 WagonR VXI. EDIT : 6,000 kms update on pg.6-img_3626.jpg
Why I was stupid enough to buy a '10 WagonR VXI. EDIT : 6,000 kms update on pg.6-img_3628.jpg
Why I was stupid enough to buy a '10 WagonR VXI. EDIT : 6,000 kms update on pg.6-img_3629.jpg

Butterflies or flowers

Why I was stupid enough to buy a '10 WagonR VXI. EDIT : 6,000 kms update on pg.6-img_0046.jpg
Why I was stupid enough to buy a '10 WagonR VXI. EDIT : 6,000 kms update on pg.6-img_0026.jpg

Fog as we came down

Why I was stupid enough to buy a '10 WagonR VXI. EDIT : 6,000 kms update on pg.6-p1015678.jpg

We started the return trip on the 27th at about 6 AM. As the car had 1000km on the ODO i decided to increase RPM to 3000 and tried to maintain a speed of about 90-100kmph. This was with AC on all the time. Touched 150KMPH briefly at one point but the car was struggling with ac on.
Decided to take a detour to Bangalore to visit my sis at around 4.30pm as it was nearer than chennai which was another 6-7 hours away and i was not feeling upto the drive at night. After a 1 day halt there reached chennai at 2.30pm on the 29th.

My conclusion with FE figures to follow.
Old 14th June 2010, 00:08   #24
BHPian

In conclusion

Little things that i like about Chocobar.

Ample space inside.
Absolutely chilling AC. ( Had me reducing fan to 3 or even 2 after about 10 min even with ambient temp near 40c)

Good front seats.
Spacious back seats.

Two way foldable,electrically adjustable ORVMs

Rear wiper and Defogger.

Theater dimming lights both fron and rear. The lights come on automatically when you use the remote to unlock and go out after 15 seconds.

If you press unlock button on key when car is already unlocked, the lights alone come on.

2 trip meter readings

Adjustable light intensity for speedometer ,tachometer dials.

Seatbelt warning(on display) and door ajar warning( Audible) for drivers seat(would have preferred door ajar warning for all 4 doors).

Audible warning if key is left in the ignition when door is opened.

Audible warning if headlight/parking light is left on when key is removed.

Remote on key with Icats system. (Downside - it would cost about Rs.7000 to replace key)

Decent music system to keep you company on long trips.

Hook near glove box to hang bags from.

Hidden tray under front passenger seat. ( useful to keep things away from prying eyes)

The steering column as well as the centre console don't foul with your knee as you are sitting or when you are getting in.

Tilt adjustable steering column.

Good highway manners for a tall boy . (Upto about 130kmph)

Aux-in port on the headunit.
Can take USB with a special adapter(Which i have not yet purchased)

Little things that i dont like.

Slight body roll which tends to shake you about. (which i did not notice during TD but is evident as you turn the steering wheel even at slow speed).

Lag in pick up in second and third and sometimes even in first gear with AC on when speed is below 20 and RPM below 2000. You have to downshit to 1st for every speed breaker and in slow B2B city traffic
or ride the clutch in 2nd to pick up RPM.Again riding the clutch does not seem to be effective all the time.

Very small boot space. Smaller than the old gen Santro we have.

The front windows fog if the side AC ducts are not directed away from them within about 10 min and then you cant see S!@#&!

Abscence of engine temp display.

Paint quality much below newer cars like Beat and Figo.

Doubtful FE claims by MSIL.

The FE i have got till now calculated by tankful to tankful method.

18.5.10 - Fulltank - 331Km
19.5.10 - 14.51L - 588Km - 17.7Km/L - Highway/No AC
20.5.10 - 27.3L - 1080Km - 18 Km/L - Highway/No AC
2.5.10 - 14L - 1245Km - 11.7Km/L - City/With AC
27.5.10 - 15.1L - 1490Km - 16.2Km/L - Highway/With AC
29.5.10 - 23.92L - 1854Km - 15.2Km/L - Highway/With AC
30.5.10 - 18.97 - 2163Km - 16.2Km/L - Highway/With AC
8.6.10 - 9.98 - 2285Km - 12.2Km/L - City/No AC - Wife was practicing driving in the mornings.

So am i happy about the New 2010 WagonR . I have to say an emphatic "yes" to that.
But I have to add that in my opinion it has two major flaws that you have to learn to live with.
One is the underpowered and lackluster engine and two is the question of FE.

I would be highly disappointed if i continue to get an avg of 10Km/L in city traffic wtih AC on. I was hoping to get atleast 14-15 seeing how Figo owners are getting the same FE with its claimed top FE of 15 as against the wagonRs 18.9.

Apart from this the 2010 WagonR is a very complete package for thsoe who are looking for a comfortable family hatchback which is easy to drive in the city with all the conveniences and is cheap to maintain.

I have penned down my observations to the best of my ability and hope that this will help anyone interested in the 2010 WagonR in whatever little way it can.

Last edited by -NUT-case : 14th June 2010 at 00:12.
Old 14th June 2010, 00:42   #25
BHPian

Wonderful review of the car and good pictures too It seems like F.E. is low and there is a need for improvement.

I wonder how the same engine gives excellent mileage in the A-Star? I wonder if KameshR can update his figure for more insight into it.

He claims the pickup has improved but it is contradictory in this review. Requesting more WagonR owners to atleast pitch in with their experience even if they are not interested in an ownership review.

Last edited by SchumiFan : 14th June 2010 at 00:47.
SchumiFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2010, 00:49   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
He claims the pickup has improved but it is contradictory in this review. Requesting more WagonR owners to atleast pitch in with their experience even if they are not interested in an ownership review.

I think this engine hasn't opened up as yet, by that I mean the running in will take more than a 1000kms.

By the way, -Nut-Case, enjoyed reading the travelogue. The issue with bad road signs and glare from the vehicles plying in the other direction is a major cause of accidents. You did well to stop at Bangalore on the way back.

Also, you must have meant that your left knee(and mistakenly wrote right knee)was in pain?
Amartya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2010, 04:01   #27

Lovely detailed review & trip report. I think the blue eyed boy is a very practical choice in terms of family cars. However, I think MSIL messed up with the new exterior of WagonR. With the previous models they were trying to keep it slim & cute whereas they've tried to make it look more male & muscle now. Whenever I see the old model on the road, I find it cuter than the blue eyed boy. Just my opinion!

The front door seems longer & so does the front window in terms of width. I would love some interior shots with legroom details & the music system that came along preinstalled. Thanks for the report.
Amit Mehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2010, 05:55   #28

The Blue-eyed-boy seems a very practical choice in terms of a family car. However, I feel MSIL has messed up trying to change the way it looks. I feel, in the earlier models and upgrades, they were trying to make the car look more sporty and cuter, whereas now they've tried their hand at making it more male and muscle. After seeing the Blue eyed boy, the old WagonR seems cuter whenever I see it on the roads.

The front door seems bigger and the front windows looks huge. I love this car for what it offers and the interiors, but sadly, its looks have kept me away. Please don't take offence, that is just my opinion.

Have a long healthy relationship with the boy
Amit Mehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2010, 08:01   #29
Senior - BHPian

I think the FE should improve as you munch up more km. Since you've managed 12 now i think it should settle at around 14km/l in city with a/c I would call that good mileage
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2010, 11:54   #30
BHPian

@ Nut case - congrats on your car .
I was never interested in this wagon r car until the launch of this new 2010 car .
Was very impressed with the dashboard , something which maruti never used to bother.Again the already spacious interiors became like that of a Caravan with increased wheelbase .

In fact I am planning to buy this for my family - dad and mom . This car would suit them for its better visibility and in terms of getting inside and out . 60:40 split seats enable them to get some luggage from our farmhouse ( read as banana , jack fruit , tapioca etc ) .

We were almost deciding upon this car when I saw your comments on FE .
Considering what they offer and the figure that the car really give on road , not at all impressive

Would it be possible for you to raise this to some senior in MUL . If this had happened outside India , the company would have been in court for misleading the customers . Or are there any tbhpian who can help in this ?
rejoycjohn is offline   Reply With Quote