Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 19th June 2010, 15:19   #61
Senior - BHPian

Hi NUT

Your wagon R looks cool with those black wheels.

Super choice of wheels to match the body colour.BTW hows the new engine performing when compared to the older one?

And is the steering better than old Wagon R? that used to be a problem in it
joshguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2010, 16:25   #62
BHPian

Default for the umpteenth time, those are NOT black wheels or black alloys

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Hi NUT

Super choice of wheels to match the body colour.BTW hows the new engine performing when compared to the older one?

Hi All,

Those are NOT black wheels or black alloys, but a case of creativity. The wheel covers have been PAINTED black to accentuate the look.

@ nutcase- You are an artist man- Good writeup, good "paintup" of your car and excellent photography. Keep it up.

regards,
adg_andy
adg_andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2010, 22:24   #63
BHPian

The latest FE figures i got.

19.6.10 - Odo at 1417Km - 11.63L for 132Km - 11.3Km/L - City traffic with AC

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...................

"Oh no! " was my reaction at seeing it. What every new car owner dreads and hopes will never happen to them.

I am talking about the my first accident. Well i don't know if i can call it that because i was not in the car when it happened. In fact it was not even moving.

It began when my wife suddenly decided that she wanted some bread and eggs, at 9 Pm on Sunday! I was as usual sitting at the computer doing nothing .

Usually to go around near my house i use my wife's Sunny as it is very convenient to ride as well as park. But that day i decided to take "Chocolate" as it had been 2 days since i took him out.

I somehow did not feel comfortable taking the car but brushed aside the feeling. I did not expect much traffic as it was a Sunday and it was 9 at night. I went to a nearby shop and parked the car by the side of the road. As there was less traffic i did take enough care in parking which was a mistake as i realized later.

After about 15 min i came back got into the car, started it and looked at the driver side ORVM. To my surprise i did not see it. Upon taking a closer look the ORVM was folded completely to the front. Hoping and praying it was just the handiwork of someone who couldn't pass by a new shiny car without doing something to satisfy their inadequacy, i got out to have a look.

What i saw was a long scratch starting from just below the ORVM and extending in front into the front quarter panel. The scratch is deep enough to expose sheet metal in a couple of places and there is denting all along the way.
There were tyre marks on the bumper as well.

Looked like a motorbike had come too close to the car, lost balance and leaned into the car before stopping.

Because of the double folding ORVM it did not break and the the electric adjustment also works.

I decided to clean and wax the area and leave it as it is for now.

These days in cities, it is not enough to drive as carefully as possible, it is also as important to take care to park carefully as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post

Any idea on the non-availability of Vxi?
When i bought mine, the waiting period for delivery, quoted for any new booking was 1 month. Maybe they did not expect as many bookings for VXI. The same thing happened when Beat was launched and the waiting period for LT models went upto 2 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post

Excellent buy.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Hi NUT

I cannot honestly answer both your questions because i have not driven the old WagonR. But from what people who have driven both are saying, there is a huge improvement in engine and handling.

As far as my experience is with the new car, i like the handling. It is easy to drive in the city and on the highway it is very capable of holding the line in turns and feels quite adequate, though it is not as good as a FIGO.

As far as the engine is concerned i am not very satisfied. It is clearly underpowered for this car and the FE it gives in city driving conditions with AC is not very comforting at all. In fact it is way below the advertised 18.9Km/L at a measly 11Km/L.

The K12 1.2, 4 cylinder of the Ritz should have been given, which would have made this car a killer buy.

The driveabilty seems to be improving as of late and the lack in power is not as obvious as in the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Hi All,

Those are NOT black wheels or black alloys, but a case of creativity. The wheel covers have been PAINTED black to accentuate the look.

@ nutcase- You are an artist man- Good writeup, good "paintup" of your car and excellent photography. Keep it up.

regards,
adg_andy
You make me go . Thank you. I have to add that painting the wheel cap black is not new and has been done forever.

The advantages are, apart from improving the look, it is much cheaper than alloys and when it is time to sell all you have to do is get a set of new wheelcaps and it is back to stock conditon.

But the disadvantage is that the paint tends to chip / peel with time and nothing looks as bad as a patchy/dirty wheel cap.
-NUT-case is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2010, 23:00   #64
Senior - BHPian

I was never fond of Wagon R which I considered very boxy. Until I saw this. Ok too many stickers on it. Remove those and it looks stunning. Didn't know Wagon R could be turned into something so sexy.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp W1.bmp (1,017.8 KB, 1527 views)
File Type: bmp W2.bmp (1,006.1 KB, 1560 views)
pgsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2010, 23:37   #65
BHPian

Congrats Nutcase ...a tda late on your ownership thread...cool review there! Nice chocolatty colour , the black wheel caps are not too my taste, but as long as you are happy its all super cool !

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
I was never fond of Wagon R which I considered very boxy. Until I saw this. Ok too many stickers on it. Remove those and it looks stunning. Didn't know Wagon R could be turned into something so sexy.
Okay no offense meant buddy.... but this one is still boxy but this time overdone, looks like a wagon R on steroids (at least from the first pic...the second one doesn't open for me !)

Last edited by better4worse : 19th June 2010 at 23:42.
better4worse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2010, 03:19   #66

Congrats for the new car, looks really different more so because of the wheel caps. happy motoring !
srirajkota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2010, 13:06   #67
BHPian

Nice review, buddy. I was a Wagon R before, upgraded to Swift 2 years back. All the best with the new car and drive safely. Regards, Hydswift.
hydswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2010, 14:02   #68
BHPian

Superb first hand review and travelogue! Thanks very much for all the pics, congratulations once again. This thread will serve a very useful function, I'm sure!

Sriku
sriku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2010, 19:45   #69

Hey your experiment with 3x and minolta binocular has given commendable result. and yes that Perfect is pukka wallpaper material. .. way to go .
ABeeBytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2010, 21:14   #70
BHPian

Sorry to hear about the scratch on your car. Trust me, most of us can understand your feelings. That sinking feeling at having the first scratch!
SunilM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2010, 22:13   #71
BHPian

Default Sst

You make me go . Thank you. I have to add that painting the wheel cap black is not new and has been done forever.

The advantages are, apart from improving the look, it is much cheaper than alloys and when it is time to sell all you have to do is get a set of new wheelcaps and it is back to stock conditon.

But the disadvantage is that the paint tends to chip / peel with time and nothing looks as bad as a patchy/dirty wheel cap.[/quote]

@ NUT case- anytime for kudos to good work. The mantra is SST: Sasta Sundar Tikaw. It is not necessary to spend a fortune to have good things

regards,
adg_andy
adg_andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 13:40   #72
BHPian

Wow. Congratulations on your new car. I know I'm a little late, but I just saw this thread. Love the colour and the mods that you have done to it - good taste. What really surprised me was the picture of the interior, I did not know that Maruthi had integrated music systems in it's hatches. My Swift does not :-(
SafeDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 16:35   #73
BHPian

Congrats on the new car -Nut- case

A very nice and detailed review you have posted here. I haven't driven the new gen WagonR, but it does look quite impressive on the inside for a small car.

I own the prev gen Wagon R and I remember that the FE wasn't too great to start with ~10.5-11 but it gradually went up after 5K kms and is now almost constant around 14.5 kpl in Mumbai's stop/go traffic with a/c on.

With the new Wagonr having a 3pot engine, i'd think the FE would go up higher as the engine runs in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Congrats and I do hope that you realise you are trapped now.
You will never be able to upgrade, as the Wagon R will make all equations go crazy. Its truly the most versatile car in its segment. You will want to change the car, but when you weigh all the pros and cons for changing it, You will realise it makes no sense to change it.
So true, my Wagon R is now 45k kms old and everytime I think of upgrading I just cannot find a petrol-engined new car that makes better sense than it. I'm well and truly trapped by it
gomzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 22:14   #74

Congratulations!!
Nevermind the bumps and scartches which you really canot avoid in the city but what the hell. This is one car that will take a lot of abuse and not complain. I had one for 6 years and put 1.25 L on the ODO. Took all over North India including a trip to Mana Village (Badrinath). The ground clearance and high seating posture are awesome for long drives on typical Indian roads. Happy Motoring and good luck for all your trips. Drive safe!
vikkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2010, 18:26   #75
BHPian

When i took delivery of the vehicle, mudflaps were not fitted as they had not received stock yet.

Well after almost 2 months and numerous calls to the SR, 4 days back they said it was in stock. But when I went to the showroom to get them fitted, the SR told me it could not be done, as the "fitter" was not availabale and offered to send someone home and get it fitted.

As there was no one in sight i called yesterday and was informed they had to make a few holes in the mudguard and so i had to go back to the showroom.

Well went there today afternoon. As i was waiting for someone to come, I opened the box and took a look at the instructions on how to fit them in place. The MRP on the box said Rs.260/ for all four flaps. Cheap!

The "fitter" finally came and started fixing them in place. The front flaps have to be fitted with 2 plastic clips and a nut/bolt. He left out the nut/bolt.

The rear ones have to be fitted with 2 sets of nut/bolt and a metal clip and screw.

He was going to use a generic screw at a radom location to fix the flap. I asked him to stop, took everything, came home and fixed it the proper way myself. No more dirt splashing on the body on the first drive after every wash. YEAH!

Had a chance to play a CD with mixed mp3 and WMA. The system had no trouble reading the cd. The sound quality and separation from the 4 speakers was good. Quite happy with the performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Didn't know Wagon R could be turned into something so sexy.
Take a look at the "Stingray" version of the 2010 WagonR available in Japan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by better4worse View Post
Congrats Nutcase ...a tda late on your ownership thread...cool review there! Nice chocolatty colour , the black wheel caps are not too my taste, but as long as you are happy its all super cool !
Thank you. Well i wanted to own the car for some time before posting an "Ownership" report.

As far as looks are concerned, to each his own. Otherwise all cars would look the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by srirajkota View Post
Congrats for the new car, looks really different more so because of the wheel caps. happy motoring !
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydswift View Post
Nice review, buddy. I was a Wagon R before, upgraded to Swift 2 years back. All the best with the new car and drive safely. Regards, Hydswift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sriku View Post
Superb first hand review and travelogue! Thanks very much for all the pics, congratulations once again. This thread will serve a very useful function, I'm sure!
Sriku
Thank you all!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABeeBytes View Post
Hey your experiment with 3x and minolta binocular has given commendable result. and yes that Perfect is pukka wallpaper material. .. way to go .
I was surprised i could see the car on the road so far off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunilM View Post
Sorry to hear about the scratch on your car. Trust me, most of us can understand your feelings. That sinking feeling at having the first scratch!
Well i have learned to ignore the scratch and not look at it every time i go near the car . I managed to push the dent in the panel out a little from inside the bonnet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
@ NUT case- anytime for kudos to good work. The mantra is SST: Sasta Sundar Tikaw. It is not necessary to spend a fortune to have good things

regards,
adg_andy
Agree wholeheartedly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive View Post
Wow. I did not know that Maruthi had integrated music systems in it's hatches.
They have done a good job of the interiors. Had a look at the A* interiors today. The WagonR is way better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
I own the prev gen Wagon R and I remember that the FE wasn't too great to start with ~10.5-11 but it gradually went up after 5K kms and is now almost constant around 14.5 kpl in Mumbai's stop/go traffic with a/c on.

With the new Wagonr having a 3pot engine, i'd think the FE would go up higher as the engine runs in.
That is encouraging to hear. I would be very happy to get around 14Km/L.
Have to wait and see.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikkal View Post
Congratulations!!
I had one for 6 years and put 1.25 L on the ODO. The ground clearance and high seating posture are awesome for long drives on typical Indian roads. Happy Motoring and good luck for all your trips. Drive safe!
One of the main reasons i opted for a WagonR was for its seating position. On the 1000+ road trip we were very comfortable.
-NUT-case is offline   Reply With Quote