Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 14th June 2010, 19:29   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Good read..

IIRC these is a adjustment for the frequency of intermittent mode. There is a ring type of thing on the wiper stalk, you rotate the ring to increase/decrease the frequency....
Really? I need to check this out then! I should start by reading the manual better I guess.. Thanks for the tip!
Bigzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2010, 19:51   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post

Sportz CRDi gets ABS? Can you confirm? I was told not an hour ago!

Sportz CRDi has disc but not ABS.

Last edited by classicselva : 14th June 2010 at 19:52.
classicselva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2010, 14:30   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
IIRC these is a adjustment for the frequency of intermittent mode. There is a ring type of thing on the wiper stalk, you rotate the ring to increase/decrease the frequency....
Checked this, and you are right. How silly of me to have missed this! thanks again!
Old 16th June 2010, 23:13   #19
BHPian

80 kmph is the rpm for the turbo kick in in 5th gear for me - CRDI Asta (O)
Johnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2010, 11:31   #20
BHPian

A few additional points:

- I park my car in the basement, and from there I need to go up a fairly steep ramp to get to the lane outside. This is causing a bit of a heartburn for me when I have to take her out in the morning. Even after a minute or so of idling, the engine isnt really warm enough, and I have to rev and slip the clutch a bit to get her to the road. (I have to literally start moving the car from bottom of the ramp because of the geometry of the parking spot - so I dont get any sort of initial momentum). The behaviour is vastly different when the engine is warm though. So this usually happens the first time I take the car out. I hope the clutch wear because of these morning maneouvers isnt significant.

- I got an FE of 17.5 in the last fill. again approx 50% in city and 50% out of the city to the office ( not exactly highway, but close to that ). I guess this is ok. Need to go on another longish drive and see what I get if I keep her at around 80-90 kph all the time ( tough to do on open stretches though )

- Well, filling up diesel adds a lot to the happiness quotient. I am filling less frequently, and paying less for each fill, that is great!

- She clearly likes to be on the highway. I can feel that the engine isnt all that happy negotiating city traffic at 20-30 kph. She literally transforms herself once the speed picks up.

- There is a bit of road noise from the Aceleres. Forgot to mention that earlier.

- On the handling point again - perhaps I havent used any really good handling cars yet, or perhaps because of my driving style (I dont really push the car to the limits as far as cornering, lane changes etc are concerned) , I havent had a reason to complain about the cars handling yet. She feels much more planted on the road than my Santro ( wrong comparison maybe ), and quite nimble.

Johnn, yes the turbo kicks in at 5th gear at slightly above 80, I was just mentioning that you are almost at the beginning of the powerband at 100 in 5th, that gives you enough addl power when required.

Last edited by Bigzero : 21st June 2010 at 11:35.
Old 3rd July 2010, 16:15   #21
BHPian

A quick update on FE:

The last fill returned 18.2 kmpl in mixed conditions. about 50% within the City.
Old 20th June 2011, 19:10   #22
BHPian

Default Re: Some initial ownership observations - i20 CRDi

A year and 19000+ kms later, she continues to impress. Yes the much talked about steering noise did come up, and thankfully it was rectified quickly. So far so good.

One important point to bring up is that the clearance of the bumper in the front from the ground is quite low. If you end up driving through some uneven/potholed roads, there is always a chance to scrape the bonnet as the car comes out of the ditch. I have already got a couple of sorry-looking scratches over there.

Driving continues to be a pleasure - very clearly, not one for start-stop traffic, she is at her best when you want her to pull from say 70kph in 4th gear. Very good overtaking capability.

The brakes have been good too, touch wood.

My commute nowadays have reduced as I am living some 6 km from the office. So I have to do the odd-weekend trip to keep her happy.

Waiting for the next long drive. The last one was a Hyderabad - Bangalore - Pune drive in around 24 hours, with some 4 hours of sleep in between. Dont ask me why...
Old 7th December 2011, 08:16   #23
BHPian

A quick update, or a non-update...

25000+ km run, gave the vehicle for regular service a couple of weeks back.

No issues to report, the car is running absolutely fine. Did a round trip to Goa from Pune and did some 3-4 round trips to Mumbai as well. The car continues to be a pleasure to drive on the highways. High speed cornering sometimes gives you some moments of anxiety though!

A trip to Kerala coming up in December.

The peeves I have with the car are :

1. Very low front overhang. gets scraped often, if you are not careful. There is a rubber strip down there though, so I usually hear it before it hits the bumper..

2. blind spot around the right A-pillar. I have had two wheelers suddenly surprising me by appearing from the right, in unmonitored traffic intersections. I am extra careful nowadays.

3. The front suspension sometimes bottoms out if one negotiates humps at speeds slightly higher than a crawl.

4. Only one cabin light.

Other than these I have no issues with the car whatsoever. My wife tells me that the angle of the rear seat could have been better. I will never know as I sit there very rarely. Its not very obvious when one sits in a stationary car, but I believe it becomes a factor in long drives. But I guess the angle is a personal thing. What I can say is that the leg room could have been a bit better in the back.
Old 7th December 2011, 08:56   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post
A quick update, or a non-update...

25000+ km run, gave the vehicle for regular service a couple of weeks back.

Thanks bigzero for sharing your valuable information about the initial ownership experience. Some of the points like front ground clearance and others were really helpful.

Since you have completed 25Ks on your car, would you mind sharing the service schedule and expenditures. Off late Hyundai dealers have been notorious about the regular service costs which can be considered insanely expensive. What about your experience?
It would definitely help prospective buyers like me
Turbokick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2011, 09:09   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
Since you have completed 25Ks on your car, would you mind sharing the service schedule and expenditures. Off late Hyundai dealers have been notorious about the regular service costs which can be considered insanely expensive. What about your experience?
It would definitely help prospective buyers like me

I dont have the details with me right now, but the last service required filter (fuel, air) changes, oil changes etc, and these arent cheap - I paid around 6K+ overall incl labour charges. I hope this gives you an idea.

Hyundai insists on 6 months service intervals for diesel cars - unlike some others (fiat? ) which has 12 months. So you do end up spending 10-11 k every year I guess on consumables + servicing charges.