Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 15th June 2010, 23:57   #1
BHPian

Default Xylo - The Giant!

The delivery of my Xylo (E8 - ABS) - Diamond White was made last sunday (June 6, 2010). The delivery was normal! Not much discomfort, it was actually a very pleasurable experience!

Been a week since that day, have already touched 1000 kms!

Uptil now the feeling has been that of a king on the road! While driving it feels like sitting on top of a big white elephant - really tall, the elephant bit is definitely not there in the way it handles. Been driving the Swift in the past and trust me, nobody can beat Swift on the pick up front. Interestingly, Xylo has not disappointed me on that front, ofcourse cant compare it with the Swift. But it has been good and satisfying on the pick up and the drive experience. I have'nt started really powering it up, in terms of the revs. Been keeping it diligently below 2,000 RPMs. The broachure says upto 3,000kms need to nurture the engine. But then guess i shall do that till my first service at 5,000 kms. By the looks of it that wont be too far away.

On first refuel at 600 odd kms, got a FE of 12.8 KMPL (Full AC in City). I guess would get an accurate picture only after the first service.
urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 03:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congrats. What was the on road price and could you specify the variations available, ie the model range. Considering one for the family.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 06:45   #3
BHPian

Congrats Friend, Nice Purchase. Xylo looks nice in white (can say stands out in the crowd). Some details about the Handling part please. Post some good pics and the on-road price. Keep updating the thread with ownership experiences.

Enjoy, Drive Safe .
mnhegde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 10:59   #4
BHPian

For the time being uploading the pictures of the giant.

Xylo - The Giant!-5.jpg

Xylo - The Giant!-1.jpg

Thank you all for the wishes. Shall reply to each one by evening!

Last edited by urban_legend : 16th June 2010 at 11:00.
Old 16th June 2010, 11:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

What variant is this? Looks like E8 & you've made a good choice selecting E4/8. Congratulations & looking forward to hear from you on travelogues with the White Giant
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 11:47   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the white giant. Do post more pictures.

Should be definitely comfortable for the long drives. Awaiting a detailed review once you are on a highway trip.
nkrishnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 00:05   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Congrats. What was the on road price and could you specify the variations available, ie the model range. Considering one for the family.
Xylo is definitiely a worthy family mover. Its got a comfortable rear seat and like i say - a wholesome driving experience.

The total cost came to Rs. 10 Lakhs for the E8 (with ABS). The price includes the Rear spoiler, Mats, etc. There are 5 other variants - D2 (with CRDe engine); E4, E6, E8, E8 (ABS+Airbag) and Celebration edition ( all with mEagle engine). I would suggest you look for either go for the E4 and pimp it up or go for the E8 version.

For me E6 or the Celebration edition was not a value for money proposition. The celebration edition is over priced, they have rejigged the interior seatings, the ICE system etc. but dont find it worth while when i compare it with the other variants.

The Sales guy told me that D2 has been discontinued now. So guess that also would be out. This anywhich ways was for the Tourist Taxi purposes (glad that its no longer available!)

E4's on road price starts at 8.40 lakhs and the Xylo E8 (ABS+Airbag) comes for Rs. 10.15 lakhs (Ex-Mumbai)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnhegde View Post
Congrats Friend, Nice Purchase. Xylo looks nice in white (can say stands out in the crowd). Some details about the Handling part please. Post some good pics and the on-road price. Keep updating the thread with ownership experiences.

Enjoy, Drive Safe .
Yes it definitely stands out. As for cars I'm a complete black colour fan. But I felt the giant was much more impressive in white. The mahindras though categorise it as Diamond White, i find it more like a pearl white shade.

Handling, has been pretty uptil now, the groan from the 2.5l mEagle engine is evident but the music drowns the sound. Also, like i said earlier, the zip is there, not as good as swifty but the Giant makes a good impression in comparison to the innova. I had felt that during the TDs as well.

On the negative side, i have some points:

(i) the Digital Drive Assist was not showing which direction i go. its not a GPS but its more like a compass. Not that i need to know it, but guess being a std. equipment, wonder why the direction is missing.

(ii) the Mahindras on the E8 provide for a music system from Nippon!!! i never knew Nippon made music systems uptil now! The USB mode has been giving some trouble, it has been skipping songs after playing it for 10 seconds. The funny part is it does not skip all songs!

(iii) On the running, the Giant has been smooth, except for a slight cranky noise from the gear box, though it is not very evident. Being a new vehicle, the slightest noise gathers one's attention. want to figure out the reason for the noise.

So got my date with the Mahindras on Saturday, would show it to those guys and ask them whether all this is supposed to happen in a new car!
Old 17th June 2010, 00:15   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
What variant is this? Looks like E8 & you've made a good choice selecting E4/8. Congratulations & looking forward to hear from you on travelogues with the White Giant
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Congrats on the white giant. Do post more pictures.

Should be definitely comfortable for the long drives. Awaiting a detailed review once you are on a highway trip.
Till the last moment i was toying the idea to go with E4 and do the pimp job on it, but then sanity prevailed and went for the E8(ABS).

Long drives have already began! Inspite of the 2,000 RPMs limit we did an impromptu ride to Lonavala this weekend (that would be roughly 200kms round trip). It was supposed to be a "small" drive around and we ended up in lonavala for dinner! It was comfortable and enjoyed it though we were at 70kph at the Mumbai-Pune expressway. Incase, you are not aware the truckies end up riding at the pace. But still no complaints, had a good outing with the Giant! Unfortunately could not click pics due to the unplanned nature of the trip!

We are planning to take the Giant to Ladakh during August 2010. It is defintiely going to be super trip - Mumbai to ladakh by road! (Super exciting stuff). I have made a route enquiry thread, would love to hear from you on any suggestions.
Old 17th June 2010, 03:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_legend View Post
Been driving the Swift in the past and trust me, nobody can beat Swift on the pick up front.
I am assuming you are referring to the MUVs when you say that.

Congratulations on the Xylo and keep us posted on your ownership experience.
Buffetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 11:20   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
I am assuming you are referring to the MUVs when you say that.

Congratulations on the Xylo and keep us posted on your ownership experience.
Thanks Buffet!

No offence to you or anyone else. It was not just a comparison with the MUVs, its also the small car segment i'm talking about. , but i think Swift is one of the zippiest, fuel efficient and a very low maintenance vehicle. Had taken it to 160kph and yet did not give me a whimper, i had to back down. I think Swift is one of the best vehicle in the small car segment. Though its been around for a while, shall still vouch it very high for any small car purchaser.

Last edited by urban_legend : 17th June 2010 at 11:22.
Old 19th June 2010, 08:23   #11
BHPian

UB once again congratulations,
Do remove that swastika..
and the new car ribbon, as they tend to leave marks on the paint!

For the second negative point its actually not a problem , you must have pressed the INT button ,which plays the song for 10 sec and then shifts,for the songs which are skipped it may not be in mp3 format.
DO try and tell.
and yes some more pictures would speak much better than the text!

Regards,
Sahil
don_carmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2010, 12:49   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_carmaster View Post
UB once again congratulations,
Do remove that swastika..
and the new car ribbon, as they tend to leave marks on the paint!

For the second negative point its actually not a problem , you must have pressed the INT button ,which plays the song for 10 sec and then shifts,for the songs which are skipped it may not be in mp3 format.
DO try and tell.
and yes some more pictures would speak much better than the text!

Regards,
Sahil
Thanks Sahil. The Swastika and the ribbons have been removed. You are right, the first day when i was removing the ribbon, i saw some marks left by the cellotape.

Shall check the Int button and let you know. Actually, this skipping problem is not in all songs, just a few songs. Also that the format is being read by the player, since it plays those songs for 10 odd seconds!

Did my second full tank yesterday, the FE is at 13.63 KMPL! Guess its more because of the less than 2000 RPM driving!

Last edited by urban_legend : 19th June 2010 at 12:50.
Old 19th June 2010, 13:11   #13
BHPian

Congrats.
Honestly, I am not a great fan of the xylo's looks, but your's is white in color is looks damn awesome.
You have mentioned E8+ABS, does your's have airbags or not then?
Arkin evoisrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2010, 14:17   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
Congrats.
Honestly, I am not a great fan of the xylo's looks, but your's is white in color is looks damn awesome.
You have mentioned E8+ABS, does your's have airbags or not then?
Thanks Arkin, it definitely looks good.

There is an option for Airbag as well. But I did not opt for it.
Old 19th June 2010, 19:29   #15
Senior - BHPian

Heartiest congrats. I love this car but wife does not like it. May be the look "grows on her" by the time I come back to India and ready to buy it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_legend View Post
The USB mode has been giving some trouble, it has been skipping songs after playing it for 10 seconds. The funny part is it does not skip all songs!
You may like to check the formats of songs. Certain formats are not recognised by the HU. There is a possibility that those formats not recognised are being skipped.

Would love to see some interior pics
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote