Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 29th November 2010, 21:34   #151
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Got a call from the SM today that they have found that the sealant is not properly applied during windshield change.
He said that some air was coming inside and also some water droplets during shower test. The car is being sent to body shop for further analysis. They will update tomorrow.
I have insisted to remove the windshield completely and refit again with new OEM sealant. Let me wait for their update tomorrow.

Earlier many tbhpians have advised to look at the windshield fixing. But the body shop SM denied and sent to Mechanical shop which prolonged the process of resolution.
Let me wait and hope things should be fixed once for all...
Keeping fingers crossed...
RGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 09:19   #152
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Blacky - 1.4 EXi - joining the figo club

Let me briefly update on the status of my engine noise after taking again to body shop (4th time). It is reduced inside the cabin. Will update the full history of A-S-S in detail in a day or two. In single word, the A-S-S is not satisfactory.
Old 8th December 2010, 09:38   #153
Team-BHP Support

Somehow I am having a feeling that the front windshield is your issue. If there is a small gap that allows air to even enter means it will also allow sound to enter. If any of the windows are even a few mm down I can easily make out the higher sound from outside.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 18:26   #154
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: A-S-S of Figo

Absolutely correct Vid. Even Gemi & lot others told the same...

Just a small story about my A-S-S experience which would help others.

August 29th - Got the stone hit in my windshield -
August 31st - Notice the glass chip and wash the glass. No crack. While drying (pressing hard) a crack opens from left lower corner horizontally.(photo there in page 7)
Sept 7th - Car given to body shop for replacement - This is the biggest blunder I made. One of my friend (in Auto industry) adivsed not to change now and asked to drive till the crack worsens and the glass get more scratches. I overlooked and gave for replacement - as I do not want to have a different manufacturing date in my windshield.
Took delivery on 10th evening.
After reaching home I find more noise in the engine.
Updated in tbhp thread on 15th. Lot of bhpians advised to recheck the windshield fitting.
Went to same body shop - The SM says " no sir it is your perception only". Compared with other Figos. But he is not convinced.

Drove with more noise inside.. Wrote to Ford. Got a call to take me to MPL Perungudi - Mechanic shop.
The SM was fine and two technicians accept more noise. After tightening some screws- no improvement. Resets the ECM and handover the car. Felt better for few kms.
Again the same noise. Not satisfied.
During rain, started getting water drops in the bonnet lever. Initially felt that may be due to careless washing by me. Due to committments, continue to drive.
Went for a long drive after diwali. While returning back on a heavy rainy day - 7th Nov - water started pouring inside.
Went to the same MPL Body shop - Guindy and the SA (SM was absent) took and fixed the leak and gave the car in the evening.
But no reduction in engine noise. Again escalated to Ford.
Ford advises to go again to MPL Perungudi. Went on 15th Nov New SA now. He observes these things and initially do this.

1. Changed the new Drive belt ( unnecessary) - No improvement - refits the old belt again.
2.Using the software found some problems in Fuel injectors.
3. Interchanges 1st and 3rd injector - Called me. Went and started the engine . No improvement
4. Wrote mail to Ford again to offer expert advice to MPL
5. As per Ford instructions they order for a new injector. Injector replaced in Stage 4. ECM software totally reinstalled.
6. Took my collegue's Figo to compare. SA and technician clearly accepts that noise inside is more in my car.
Meantime, my car's right OVRM was damaged while test drive and small scratch in the right wheel arch. Replace new OVRM and commit to paint the scratch and give.
6. Got the car on 19th Nov.
7. Engine noise became totally different. Hear a bass sound along with the engine. But no reduction of engine noise in the cabine
8. MPL advises to drive below 80kmph for another 1000km as ECM was reinstalled. Following the same.
9. Again escalated to Ford. Ford asks to go to MPL ford - Vadapalani
10. Dropped the car on 29th Morning.
11. They have both bodyshop and mechanical shop in one location.
12. Found air and water droplets coming inside the windshield.
13. Send the car to MPL Body shop guindy - saying load is more and as per GM's advice.
14. Wrote a mail to Ford to remove the glass completely and refit again with new sealant . Gemi and other BHpians advise the same.
15. After two followups with MPL vadapalani - got a call that my car has come and ask me to come for a test drive and check
16. Noticed the plastic clip was not fixed properly at the right bottom windscreen. They fix again/
17 Started the engine. Really the noise level has come down inside a bit but not as before the windshield change.
18. The driver side floor mat clip was lost in my previous service at MPL ford perungudi. So asked to replace the clip. SM confirms that it is available only in accessories and will get it done.
18. Took the car delivery. Car noise inside is reduced . Bit relaxed on this.
19. SM agreed that Engine noise is more outside that normal figos. And says it is due to Fuel issues and asks to add System D.

These are the observations post the tampering of engine and poor job quality.

1. Engine noise has changed more - get a bass noise along
2. More vibration felt when the bonnet is opened and engine is touched
3. Clearly note the compressor starting and stopping - happened due to unnecessary belt change. Most bhpians experience this
4. Engine pick up is better. Now 80kmph is achieved at 1900-1950 rpm itself. So hope a better mileage.

Wrote a detailed mail to Ford asking for these

1. More warranty for the engine post the extended warranty time as the engine is fiddled while the problem is with poor job done of windshield change.
2. More warranty for windshield - in case more noise coming again, or water leakage

Now Ford and Dealer says - there are parts warranty for 6 months or 10000kms and say the engine had problems and thats why it was attended.

I told - I agree but that is a different story. My problem is "more engine noise coming inside the cabin after windshield change". That has nothing to do with the engine. If the engine problem aggrevates I may take it later.
I never complained of poor pickup or vibration or white smoke etc,my problem was different.

Unnecessarily the engine is tampered and poor job quality of windshield. It was not replaced. Only extra sealant/paste are applied again.

Hence request of more warranty on these two parts.

About Ford and Dealer support - A-S-S
1. Ford response is poor - need to send reminder
Asked many times on the Service Head or manager contact no - not got so far.
2. Ford has to support and help Service centres as this is a new car to avoid Trial and error method. Why the Service centres are doing trial and error on customers vehicle
3. Dealers Service manager and advisors are courteous, listen and treat well, but they really do not know to diagnose the problem. But do try replacing one or other things. ( may be as this is a new vehicle)
4. Always try to convince the customer " Sir no problem sir".

Planning to follow up again. I am upset as the OEM fitment is lost in the engine ( most critical part of a vehicle) and because of poor quality job made me to visit SC's at regular intervals.

I am unlucky in the figopian's list, but the car is a good one for the price paid.

Plan to follow up with ford again, if no developments then may look other options as well...

Advices/suggestions are welcome from fellow bhpians.
Old 9th December 2010, 01:56   #155
BHPian

Default Re: A-S-S of Figo

RGK, I should tell you that you seem to be one real patient man. Kudos for keeping your cool amongst all these.

It is clear that they are just trying the possible options and have not found the exact reason.

In point number 14) you mentioned about reinstalling the windscreen from scratch, was that done at the dealership or at Ford itself? Glad to know there is at least a reduction in noise now.
jayded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 07:57   #156
RGK
Senior - BHPian

@Jayded - Yes. I wrote two mails insisting Ford to advise the dealership to remove the windscreen, clear off all sealant and refit again. But this is not done. They have applied the sealant on the areas where leak was noticed by them again (third time).

A really good car was made an experimental piece as the manufacturer either did not guide the service centres properly on the support or the Service centres not equipped to handle critical problems except regular oil changes/cleaning.
Old 9th December 2010, 14:37   #157
BHPian

The saddest part is you are staying close to the manufacturing plant, in a city where their best engineers could have easily diagnosed the problem.

Its a big let down by Ford, who invented all the stuffs with Automobiles. They are placing themselves on lines of other manufacturers.

Its does not matter if this is one of case or not. How do you plan to move forward from here ? What are the positives (if any?) ?

There is no pride left in engineering ?
ownerofazkaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 17:45   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
@Jayded - Yes. I wrote two mails insisting Ford to advise the dealership to remove the windscreen, clear off all sealant and refit again. But this is not done. They have applied the sealant on the areas where leak was noticed by them again (third time)
Insist on getting it done directly from Ford and not the dealer. Not sure if you have already done this, but send a strong mail to Ford providing a link to this thread as well. Just give that a try, let's leave no stones unturned.
There is only one process out of which something good can come out, and that is removing and reinstalling the windshield once again, since the entire story began with the first replacement.
jayded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 22:41   #159
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Obsolutely spot on Jayded & Ownerofaskaban.

The one of the reason I went for Ford is Chennai is its home town (?!).
No proper diagnosis. So far 11 mails are sent (excluding older mails) to Ford, except the regular reply of "will be take care with utmost satisfaction".
One positive: The SM's and SA's are courteous and listen to your words. They answer my calls.
Yes, Want Ford to do this again with perfection and check the change in engine noise.
and request to give me more warranty especially on these.

GM Service of MPL ford called and told "nothing to worry and its our baby to take care for the next four years". But never accepts their mistake .
When I told that I drove below 80 till 4300 km, he replied "no need, olden days are gone. Straight away you can drive at 110/120 from day one". I replied, " Sir nothing wrong in driving at lower speed initially eventhough it is not required. I donot know whether that will do good to the engine but definitely not do bad". (GTO's post in diesel engine running in thread helped to answer this).
Another reminder sent again to Ford now. Will wait for a day or two and decide the next step. May take the help of this thread as well.
Old 10th December 2010, 12:11   #160
Senior - BHPian

RGK. Its really sad to have such miseries with a new car.

The issue really was with the windshield fitting. Now that you have a new set of injector and a virgin ECU i would not be amused if the engine feels a bit tight, slightly more noisier and the compressor making its presence known very clearly. I think you would remember that this was almost how the car was when the engine had run less than 500-800km. At least that was the case in my vehicle.

I suggest you do not let them touch your cars engine henceforth except for the regular oil changes. If you are not satisfied with the windshield fitting you could pursue it further with ford and try to get a factory fit. (not sure how practical it would be though)

I'm sure your engine characteristics would change after less than another 1K km.

Just enjoy your car. Yes. There is no official Run In Period on new cars but its better you dont RIP her during the initial phases.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2010, 13:38   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
GM Service of MPL ford called and told "nothing to worry and its our baby to take care for the next four years". But never accepts their mistake .
When I told that I drove below 80 till 4300 km, he replied "no need, olden days are gone. Straight away you can drive at 110/120 from day one".

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Just enjoy your car. Yes. There is no official Run In Period on new cars but its better you dont RIP her during the initial phases.

It is shocking to hear that GM told you that you could rip your car right away. It is clearly mentioned in the manual to not to load the engine unusually for some initial period, show that to him and

And Gemi is right. Give the car sometime. May be it is psyche, as I said before, car sounds like a tractor if I run with glass window down and now in winter, the car sounds awful when cold (there is quite some noise penetrating in). She doesnt sound much when she acquires the required temperature. So stop worrying about the engine and try and do something about the wind shield and leave it at that!!
anilisanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2010, 15:40   #162
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
RGK. Its really sad to have such miseries with a new car.

The issue really was with the windshield fitting. Now that you have a new set of injector and a virgin ECU i would not be amused if the engine feels a bit tight, slightly more noisier and the compressor making its presence known very clearly. I think you would remember that this was almost how the car was when the engine had run less than 500-800km. At least that was the case in my vehicle.

I suggest you do not let them touch your cars engine henceforth except for the regular oil changes. If you are not satisfied with the windshield fitting you could pursue it further with ford and try to get a factory fit. (not sure how practical it would be though)

I'm sure your engine characteristics would change after less than another 1K km.

Wonderful Gemi. Yes the technician (one good soul in the SC) told not to strain the engine for 1000km as the new changes have gone in. So far I have driven 700km after that. Yes waiting for 1000-1200km and see the noise after.

As said I am not going to do anything on these. Let me wait and see its behaviour. One positive is the pickup seems to be better and at 1900-1950 rpm, car reaches 80kmph.

The GM and the SM is saying the noise difference would be due to the fuel used. I wonder how, the engine noise would get change as the fuel was already there in the tank before the engine activity and how will if affect the noise level.

Regarding Windshield job, eventhough it is better, I want Ford to inspect directly and certify. If needed I can drive down there (as said if practically allowed). Would certainly take up on extension of warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
It is shocking to hear that GM told you that you could rip your car right away. It is clearly mentioned in the manual to not to load the engine unusually for some initial period, show that to him and

And Gemi is right. Give the car sometime. May be it is psyche, as I said before, car sounds like a tractor if I run with glass window down and now in winter, the car sounds awful when cold (there is quite some noise penetrating in). She doesnt sound much when she acquires the required temperature. So stop worrying about the engine and try and do something about the wind shield and leave it at that!!
Agree Anil. I am not going to allow them to touch again the engine unless it is absolutely necessary, but updated all the observations to Ford but no reply so far. i.e - feel the difference. Unfortunately Ford does not have its own Service centre as other manufacturers.
Old 10th December 2010, 16:50   #163
Senior - BHPian

^^ Did you try asking ford to send their in house engineer to come and test? BTW how do you mean Ford does not have its own service center?

@Mustang: What do you think of this? Can you help RGK in this?
anilisanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2010, 10:16   #164
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
^^ Did you try asking ford to send their in house engineer to come and test? BTW how do you mean Ford does not have its own service center?

@Mustang: What do you think of this? Can you help RGK in this?
Yes. Waiting for response from Ford.. May be I am

Maruti has its own (forgot the name) and Hyundai has Hyundai Motor plaza (both are company owned) which is missing.

Waiting for Mustang's support as well
Old 13th December 2010, 17:51   #165
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Default Bass Noise Rectified in the engine

As all know that I was totally worryied due to the change in the engine noise after some changes (trial & error) has gone in it.
I got a bass sound (like exhaust leak) which was still coming. The GM Service & SM was saying the change in engine noise is due to the quality of the fuel --- Very surprised
Today morning, I did spent some time after opening the bonnet and trying to identify if I can. Checked all the pipes, wires, and exhaust pipe, by holding and find if anything is loose.
Luckily found, that the "air duct" which intakes air to the engine (a plastic big tube) was not fitted to the inlet manifold and it was hanging .

I inserted it correctly and some tubes also were hanging, which i pressed into its clip correctly.
The inlet manifold sucks air through the air duct and since air duct was not fitted, it started sucking from the engine compartment producing bass sound. The sound was similar to when the air cleaner was not fixed on top of the careburettor (eg Maruti).

Started the engine and found the bass sound was arrested. Bit relieved.
Need to thoroughly check again. When the car was handed over to me, a Ford quality report was hanging in my car saying "your car had a top quality of service". Very surprsing.....

Last edited by RGK : 13th December 2010 at 17:52.