Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 16th June 2010, 07:24   #1
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Default Blacky - 1.4 EXi - joining the figo club

Car searches started from Dec09 and ended yesterday as I drove my Black 1.4 -Exi from my home town to chennai.
Started with 2nd hand Indica DLS - I landed in Figo for the two reasons

1. GTO detailed review on 25th Jan 2010 and correlated with other ownership reports + mustang's info - made my decision strong on Figo
2. One of my relative working in Ford advised me to wait till march for the launch of Figo - as Ford was making all efforts to make it a 100% success

-Due to prior commitments I could not take the delivery of the car which was booked at Rajshree ford Coimbatore.
-Booked on 1st April and delivery taken on 24th May by my parents and friend. My parents are totally new as they do not possess any vehicle. So they were watchers and my friend did check all the points I shared with him.
-Since the full amount was paid on 9th May, the delivery process was smooth. --Due to Tamil meet arrangements in coimbatore, the delivery was scheduled at their service station and not in the showroom on 24th May. My friend totally forgot to take his camera on that day eventhough I reminded him - oops. So only one photo was taken by the dealer.
My parents took the car to a temple and finished the pooja formalities.

Asked for below items:
1. Mudflaps - Free
2. carpet mats - Free
3. Front chrome grille (paid)
4.Garware stickers including at the bottom of the windshield as the dashboard gets heated up when parked under sun - (free)
5. Fog Lamps (paid)

Mudflap - no stock and the car was delivered on time with all forms (it is a whole set - which i will scan and share with tbhp) as it was a temp regn.
-Applied for Fancy nos (Rs 8500/- for the vehicles more than 4 lakh invoice value) - so i decided not to go for fog lamps now due to budget constraint
-The temp regn paper got delayed and the Tax hike of 2% after 31st May in TN (around 10k) made me extremely worried
-Luckily it was couriered on 25th
-Registration was planned on 27th and I was not able to go there.
-On the day of registration came the shocking news from the RTO office at my native, that since Figo is a new car and RTO office did not have design approval for this. So the dealer

has to give the design approval . I called many times to the dealer, the RTO agent and came to know the email system at the RTO is not working so requested the dealer to

fax the same to a public Fax office and RTO agent handed over the same at 2 pm.
- It was a real frustration for my agent and my friend and somehow convinced the RTO officer to complete the formalities and all ended successfully at 3.00 pm.
- I reached there with my family to see - with lot of excitement as it is my first NEW car purchase
- Even though I preferred white, I have to sacrifice for my daughter who was stubborn on black only
- I had already bought some car items like, hook for bags to be put inside the headrest, car steering cover, perfume, 12 V usb charger, blind spot mirrors (to be fixed in the OVRM's), good metal key chain, micro fibre clothes. Except steering cover & key chain, I have not fixed anything else till now.
- I washed the car and went to a temple again - and the first experience of driving is something --- simply awesome
- At this moment I thank the tbhp ford owners and especially GTO - for their correct assessment of the car and its behavior

I filled Ordinary Diesel at IOCL outlet at my native to the brim (at that time the ODO had already done 242 kms as the distance from dealer place to my native is around 100 and also car came to pick me from railway station which is 50kms) As the brim has a self lock or cover, I am not 100% sure that the diesel was filled up to the brim.I drove the car on saturday to the dealer again for fixing mud flap and chrome grille.
Chrome girlle was not available again - luckily I converted to boot mat as it is almost same cost of Rs 510/- and got the same.

Even though I got free essential pack + sun film, the money was adjusted against the insurance premium (New India Assurance - only 12000/- )and temp registration amount by the dealer.
The car was manufactured during Mar 2010 - so not from the latest batch even though I gave more delivery time - one stock was cleared by the dealer. Even though I knew all this I did not ask SP and the manager, but conveyed my thanks to them.

I drove again back to my native after filling again at Shanthi Fuel Station - an genuine IOCL outlet in Trichy Road, Coimbatore - After doing 106kms - that is ODO at 348 it drank 8 litres and filled again to the brim and I was asking the pump person to fill up to the lock and he did the same -but the FE was 348-242=106/8 is just 13km. I was extremely upset at that time.

I filled Nitrogen in all 5 tires and Shanthi IOCL outlet do free of cost and even they do not accept tips - hats off to them.

Drove back to my native and did lot of small trips - At this time the odo read 451. So before leaving to chennai I went back to the same IOCL fuel station in my native and filled to the brim and found it drank 6.03 litres. So FE was 451-348= 103/6.03 = 17.08. I was relieved and thought the inconsistency may be due to

1. BS IV diesel at Coimbatore
2. Air pressure would have been lower - this will not make so much diff in FE is my opinion

- Kept 32 in all wheels ( I never noticed the sticker at the front left side )

Number plates were ordered in Bangalore and was couriered from there.
Able to fix easily at the back. The front did not have holes - So drilled the bumper - at 2 positions and fixed it. Need to put double side adhesive at the back of the plates and refit again. The front plastic bumper quality below the grill is equal to Rs 3 plastic pen. As noted by others - need to have budget allocated for the bumper & A/c condenser.

- I feel it is possible to put a wired gauze behind this bumper after painting high quality black - to avoid stones hitting the condenser - comments are welcome.

So started for Chennai on Monday - the odo was 451.
Did some small drives in Trichy and reached chennai at 9.45 pm.

The distance covered was exactly 500 kms - the odo reading now is 951

The Fuel gauge is just 1 mm below the half mark (checked today morning after 24 hours of halt) and the DTE is showing 365.
So FE as per electronic data is 500 + 365 = 865/45 = 19.22.
I need to fill again to the brim and note the correct FE of my car for long drives.

-Maintained a max speed of 80kmph at 2000 rpm. (religiously never crossed 83 - but could not follow the diesel lovers advise of running in procedure)
-Done early upshifts without lugging the engine
-Used A/c for 80%. Switched off A/c at 6 tolls
-Did not have any break till 150 kms and after that many breaks
-I think after 80kmph the fuel pump opens maximum and bringing down the FE - need to check after ODO crossing 5k

Best Features are very well explained by all in their threads and they are 100% true.

-The best feature in this car according to me is the excellent road view in front. Need to adjust the bigger size of the A pillar (corner ones both sides) - really big ones and need to be careful while driving in hills especially right curves.

-Car done 951 kms as of now
-No swerving of car which has Good Year GT
-So far no sound as of now or I would have not noticed due to initial excitement
-For past three days covered village roads, state highways and NH
- No under body scrapping so far - crossed more than 15 to 20 humps - never brake near or after front tires cross the bump
-All driven with 4 pax except in the highway
-Bought one body cover at Chennai car jewels - a decent one for Rs 750/- looks OK.
-Price of body cover is 1330/ in Rajshree ford, coimbatore (did not buy - out of stock) and 1650/- in MPL, chennai - when enquired the person said " sir ford rate, we dont do anything".
-The small shop deals with lot of accessories and the shop owner seems to be very reasonable - charging 3M undercoat for 2300 with genuine 3M warranty - done by 3M
-Saw a water seat - 400/ -taiwan make - the owner says it really helps in long drives and reduces pain at the back as it massages the bottom of the spinal cord.

Planning to do this:

-Put a decent seat cover (my son jumps with his chappals)
-Fix 3M tint at the bottom side of the front windshield to avoid heating up of dash
-Put a centre carpet mat (I do not know why it does not come along with carpet mat set)

Doubts

-So far not read the manual completely - only tbhp ford figo ownership report and review
- Can metal key chains be used in the main remote lock key - Manual says no - pl advise
- Is anybody getting chill air under the left leg when air con position is kept at chest position
- Is it advisable to increase the power of the headlights just by upgrading the bulb and not the wiring kit.

Findings in my car:

-The right fender has a bigger gap at the bottom right side below the right front door - will post the photo . My friend did not identify this - he was more in bringing the car home and handover safely.
-The quarter glass finishing is not up the mark at both sides
-As said by all - the floor mats are useless

My ratings would be like this (all diesels) for its quality, finishes & performance:

1. Polo
2.Punto
3............................... (fill in the blanks : Swift/Ritz/Vista/Figo - owner's choice)

Will post photos before the weekend...

Last edited by GTO : 16th June 2010 at 12:55. Reason: Strictly no more than 2 smileys per post please. Read our rules
RGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 07:57   #2
BHPian

Many Congratulations RGK! Welcome to the Figo club.

Panther Black is a great colour, and even so is Diamond White.

You've posted some realistic FE figures, appreciate that. You can make them precise if you can classify them into Highway and City(Village) driving.

Wish you Happy and Safe Driving, and more miles 'n smiles.
MaveRick4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 08:13   #3
BHPian

Hey Congrats RGK , well written interview with lot of emphasis on burning issue i.e Fuel efficiency. I think the FE figures will further improve as the engine runs-in fully.
tj123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 09:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

Great Report. Congrats. At last you got to drive your car

Looking forward to see the pics. And some driving tips on getting the kind of mileage you are reporting. With mine still hovering around 13km/l in city i've already started feeling jealous
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 12:46   #5
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Thanks all - Gemi, tj123, MaveRick4x4.

I love diesel engines especially their performance during winter is something cannot be defined.
I was more concerned about FE and hence the reason for buying a diesel and I want to drive more. As all know fuel cost is low and more mileage - two benefits.
And there is no need of any electrical tuning. Initially I was upset on the FE reviews by other owners, but still thought since most of them drove petrol early, it may take some time for them to adapt to diesel.

Yes Gemi - At last - from 24th May till last saturday - only thinking about the car

Maverick4X4: FE calculations are done mostly in NH & SH and less traffic roads and not in crawling traffic like in chennai or Bangalore. I think i will get anywhere between 13 to 14 with A/c on.
Old 16th June 2010, 13:26   #6
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Attaching temporary regn documents

1- temporary registration paper
2. Form 21
3. Form 22
4. Ford invoice to Dealer
5. Genuiness certificate

Since my car photos is taken by my b-i-l camera, I am waiting for him
Attached Thumbnails
Blacky - 1.4 EXi - joining the figo club-tmpregnpaper.jpg  

Blacky - 1.4 EXi - joining the figo club-form21.jpg  

Blacky - 1.4 EXi - joining the figo club-form22.jpg  

Blacky - 1.4 EXi - joining the figo club-fordinvoicetodealer.jpg  

Blacky - 1.4 EXi - joining the figo club-genuinesscert.jpg  

Old 16th June 2010, 13:42   #7
RGK
Senior - BHPian

@ Gemi - No special driving tips. Just do not rev up more in each gear. Try to make early upshifts if the engine power is sufficient to move to the upward gear (that is no lugging).

While downshifting it is not always necessary to brake and bring down the gear. Any smooth clutch release after bringing down will do the job and the power is maintained. If you brake then you may need to do an acceleration again.

Especially if you are in 2nd or 3rd gear and the power is sufficient to upshift, but you expect a traffic ahead 500 metres and need to brake, do not upshift at that time and also maintain in the same gear. Frequent gear changes decreases Fuel efficiency.

Never accelerate by pushing fast - gradual acceleration is safe for engine and better mileage.
Old 16th June 2010, 13:46   #8
BHPian

Congrats RGK! In your Sale Certificate the body type is mentioned as 'Sedan'. Is that how they mention it? I have just booked my first car.
2cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 13:59   #9
BHPian

@ RGK - Congrats and welcome to the Figo club

Can metal key chains be used in the main remote lock key - Manual says no - pl advise
The Figo key has remote lock / unlock buttons and such soft Ford keys are not reknowned for longevity. Its better not to use any key chains (full metal), rather you can use leather key chains

- Is anybody getting chill air under the left leg when air con position is kept at chest position

For the driver, the chilled air will come for the left leg and for the front co passenger, the chilled air will come for right leg. The air comes from the console right beneath the audio module. If you look down near your left leg, you will find ventilators. However, this will happen only if the air con position is not exactly kept at chest position (meaning one or two points above chest position)
e-biz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 15:00   #10
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
Congrats RGK! In your Sale Certificate the body type is mentioned as 'Sedan'. Is that how they mention it? I have just booked my first car.
Thanks 2 cents.
No ready answer right now. Let me check that with the dealer. Since it was authorised by RTO , there is no problem. Also I think there is no classification as hatchback. My dad took all the photostat copies of the original doc and gave to me, otherwise I would not have anything. I have also received my original RC and Insurance.

Thanks e-biz. Yes I and co passenger felt the chillness. I will change the key chain to leather ones.

1. I have habit of washing once or twice a week. Is there any enough protection to the speakers and window winders inside the doors if the water is sprayed in the door glass windows.
2. If I need to push the car, it is mandatory to start the engine to enable power steering or steer manually even though if it is difficult.
Old 16th June 2010, 16:10   #11
BHPian

Congrats RGK. Another panther black figo, great. Take good care of her and enjoy the ride. Esp for the black color cars, I would advise you to pick up Jopasu car duster, it really helps a lot in keeping the car clean and shiny.

Cheers!!!
gr8guzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 17:14   #12
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8guzzler View Post
Congrats RGK. Another panther black figo, great. Take good care of her and enjoy the ride. Esp for the black color cars, I would advise you to pick up Jopasu car duster, it really helps a lot in keeping the car clean and shiny.

Cheers!!!
Thanks gr8guzzler. Will do that . I have bought some microfibre clothes and not tried cleaning the whole body. Heard from lot - that Jopasu is very good.
Old 16th June 2010, 17:23   #13
RGK
Senior - BHPian

One observation I forgot to mention is - the steering grip seems to be big i.e the circumference of the grip is large than many cars to hold the steering.
But I have put a steering grip cover since I have already bought
Old 16th June 2010, 18:21   #14
BHPian

Congrats RGK on your Figo. Will wait to hear more from you on FE and other fronts.
Myself am planning for a car in 3 months time. Given the wait period with various cars, i better get started now.
vigneshA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 19:53   #15
BHPian

Congrats!

Nice accessory hunting! The 3M underbody coating comes in two formats. One with 2 year warranty for about 2K and the other with 5 year warranty for about 3K.

Make a wise choice!
Sedate is offline   Reply With Quote