Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 17th June 2010, 21:43   #16
Senior - BHPian

@Rehaan and FS:
Superb review. Loved the details, and the pics.

Out of all the entry level germans, the only one I hadn't sat in was the 3 series, and the way the review has been written, it covers everything.
Noticed that there are a lot of similarities and shared parts between the 3 series and the E60.

P.S. Rehaan - Thanks for the information about the keys. Since I drive the 5 very occasionally, I am totally lost when I have to operate something. Generally to lock/unlock the car, i end up pressing all the buttons on the fob.

Quite surprised to hear that the steering and horn and indicator switches require effort. In the E60, it is effortless and I am quite sure the design is the same as well. Maybe a poorly maintained demo car?
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 21:53   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

@ Lamborghini. Not really a poorly maintained demo car. The horns are as it is, a little harder than what you find in Japs, apparently to dissuade honking or something like that. As for the indicators, they require just as much effort on my 3, which is a little over 3 months now. It really does require above average effort. While the heavy steering is something you can get used to, there's no logical reason why such indicator stalks have to be put up with.
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 22:05   #18
Senior - BHPian

BRILLIANT pictures, possibly the best on any review to-date. Brilliant write-up as well, but from the looks of it, the 330 is not going to do as much for the pedal to the meal kind of driver.

The 320d feels better to drive from what I can tell, how I wish they had MT available as an option. O.T. Sadly even the Merc has also stopped the MT & now on - ONLY AT will be available..

The 330i is possibly competing with the 6 cyl C250 which is NOT selling at all (huge discounts available), I think (I may be wrong) that the 330i is gonna go the same way.

Brilliant write-up nonetheless. Bottomline the 330i does not seem to "excite" the petrolhead or will it ??

P.S. One thing I must say - the BMW guys are finally beginning to put decent alloys on the cars - first the 320d CE & now this !! (One must look at the bright side- right)

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 17th June 2010 at 22:09.
Ricky_63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 22:24   #19
Team-BHP Support

great review guys, i loved the pictures.

ricky - i think these guys expected a lot more out of the car and were a bit disappointed. it certainly is an enthusiasts car.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 23:14   #20
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics and (boringly) superb tbhp standard review!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
Fantastic review Rehaan

Regarding the limited rear seat legroom, we should not forget that, in most developed/western markets, the 3-series is a "everyday car", sort of middle-class driving machine. It's target market is just like the type of people who are looking for a Punto/Polo/i20 here in India. It is simply not intended to be chauffeur-driven.
3 - series is not as 'bread-and-butter' as punto/polo/i20 (substitute civic/camry/pickup trucks) in US! Maybe in Germany it is.
blackasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 00:47   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
ricky - i think these guys expected a lot more out of the car and were a bit disappointed. it certainly is an enthusiasts car.
I started with a clean slate. Never driven a German petrol before. No expectations. If anything, maybe some of the 320d's kick was lingering in my mind. So I doubt I had high expectations and came away disappointed. It's not like I drove an M3 last week.

Btw, I had fun when I drove an Accord V6 (pre-2007) once. That was fun. This was too, with the noise and all, but not exceptional. I'm going back to my oil burner.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 18th June 2010 at 00:48.
Old 18th June 2010, 09:22   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
3 - series is not as 'bread-and-butter' as punto/polo/i20 (substitute civic/camry/pickup trucks) in US! Maybe in Germany it is.
Blackasta, punto/polo/i20 are not exactly "bread-and-butter", these are "premium hatches". The civic/camry substitutes are WagonR/i10 IMO.
sandeepmdas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 10:00   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Mine doesn't, I guess I was right. Auto leveling coming into the picture here, no wonder the manual adjuster isn't there on the 330i, and I guess the 320d Highline either.

Great review Rehaan and Flyingspur & yes the 330i and 320d would surely have auto leveling headlamps. Even the A4 has auto leveling ones so quite surely the high end Beemers would have them
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 10:38   #24
Senior - BHPian

Great review rehaan and flyingspur, with excellent photography!

But, seriously, the big question remains-how many people really will go for the 330i?
sidindica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 11:28   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Great review rehaan and flyingspur, with excellent photography!

But, seriously, the big question remains-how many people really will go for the 330i?

The metros have their fair share of enthusiasts though in minority, cars like the 330i ,a4 3.2 fsi etc etc will always have their exclusive customers
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 11:37   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Great review guys!

What fuel were you guys running on? I'm not sure if I missed it but I guess this clause should be included in every petrol car review as the fuel quality makes a huge difference. Also a Gtech Pro figures on actual timing would help.

@Lambo- Your E60 does not have the same design steering. This is the sports steering that comes only on the highline version E60.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 11:47   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Fantastic review as usual. Great job guys. A five star rating to this thread.

OT: I have stopped buying the auto magazines, I'm just hooked to Team-bhp website.
nkrishnap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 13:38   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
P.S. One thing I must say - the BMW guys are finally beginning to put decent alloys on the cars - first the 320d CE & now this !!
Right... although these are the same rims that the LCI (facelift) E90 325i has been coming with since the last ~1.5 years. The pre-LCI rims were really sad across the entire range.
Old 18th June 2010, 13:47   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Right... although these are the same rims that the LCI (facelift) E90 325i has been coming with since the last ~1.5 years. The pre-LCI rims were really sad across the entire range.
The pre-LCI 325i had good alloys. Thick 6 spokes I think.
The current 320d highline has the most boring alloys ever !
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 14:55   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
The pre-LCI 325i had good alloys. Thick 6 spokes I think. The current 320d highline has the most boring alloys ever !
Oh you liked those... anyway yeah, the current Highline has a very confused design to it. Too "busy" for my taste. This is much cleaner, even though multi-spoke.