Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 28th June 2010, 18:06   #1
BHPian

Thumbs up Maruti Suzuki Baleno LXi (2005) ... Got Her Home!

Fellas,

This is in continuation from here. I got the car home at last…

Have been driving around for the past week … and am falling in love with her!

Here are the pics:

Name:  001.jpg
Views: 9267
Size:  89.1 KB

The paint is nice and glossy, though there are a fair number of small scratches (Bangalore driving…). I think the previous owner has been very nice to the car.

Name:  002.jpg
Views: 9387
Size:  75.0 KB

Entertained, for a short while, an idea of switching to white-coloured indicator lamps at the back, but this put me off. Dropped it like a hot brick!

Name:  003.jpg
Views: 8935
Size:  61.7 KB

Tyres not bad (or too good). Will last at least 10,000 kms.

Name:  004.jpg
Views: 8738
Size:  63.0 KB

Scratches present, like I said…

Name:  005.jpg
Views: 12626
Size:  68.1 KB

Am beginning to like the back side now!

Name:  006.jpg
Views: 8729
Size:  59.5 KB

The dealer had plastered their name beneath the Maruti Suzuki name, but I took it off. Now, the glue remains, and is rather stubborn. Can anyone advise on how to get this off, of course, without harming the paint? [1]

Name:  007.jpg
Views: 8695
Size:  74.6 KB

Switches and gizmos all in working order, except for the rear-left power window. Will get it checked in the next service.

Name:  008.jpg
Views: 8608
Size:  65.0 KB

The tint on the windshield colours the sunlight coming in … the steering is rather close to the seat…

Name:  009.jpg
Views: 8436
Size:  31.9 KB

The console mould is turned a bit to the driver’s side. Nice.

Name:  010.jpg
Views: 8336
Size:  40.2 KB

The plastics are all in great shape, and nearly scratchless.

Name:  011.jpg
Views: 8311
Size:  37.6 KB

Seats in good shape. Some basic cleaning required.

Name:  012.jpg
Views: 27696
Size:  248.4 KB

What is this? Anyone knows?

I sorely miss a clock on the dashboard. Could this be to install an aftermarket/OE clock? I hope it is…

Anyone…? [2]

Name:  013.jpg
Views: 9044
Size:  30.6 KB

I like the gear knob being encased in leather … but, this leather seems a bit worn. Is it possible to get only this re-done? [3]

Name:  014.jpg
Views: 9958
Size:  39.2 KB

The leather parts of the door too seem uneven on the surface. Don’t know if this can be straightened out…

Name:  015.jpg
Views: 8718
Size:  43.0 KB

Model KDC-MP3029. Is this the stock Kenwood stereo? [4]

Name:  016.jpg
Views: 17840
Size:  51.9 KB

See the gloss on the dash? I know the Maruti True Value guys have polished it hard, but the surface is scratchless and smooth. And clean.

Name:  017.jpg
Views: 8225
Size:  64.5 KB

This prominent piece on the farther forward portion of the dash … is it something specific/significant? Or just a place to stick the Ganesha mini-idol? [5]

Name:  018.jpg
Views: 8116
Size:  48.2 KB

Name:  019.jpg
Views: 8250
Size:  52.9 KB

Name:  020.jpg
Views: 8055
Size:  55.6 KB

Name:  021.jpg
Views: 8099
Size:  58.0 KB

All four wheels are DIRTY! I cleaned them after the photos were taken, but am not able to make them shine, to justify the car’s interiors. I have some work here…

Name:  022.jpg
Views: 8775
Size:  70.4 KB

Beautiful!

More posts/threads coming up with endless doubts/questions ... meanwhile, can you all answer my [1], [2], [3], [4] questions? Thanks!

GoldenParadox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 18:34   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenParadox View Post
how to get this off, of course, without harming the paint? [1]
What's left usually will be some kind of adhesive + dust/dirt and all that.
Petrol/Diesel usually dissolves them and no its no too good for the paint.

But its the simplest way I know off.

Once the initial "bulk" is gone a mild water based rubbing compound + some polish and elbow grease to get it back to glory.

No idea about 2,3,4.

BTW Congrats...!
How much on the ODO ? Price paid (if you don't mind sharing it.)
yzfrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 18:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hey congrats on the car, its lovely and will put a smile on your face everytime.

Just to answer a few of your questions,

The space next to the hazard lamp button is indeed for a clock. You get aftermarket ones specifically for the baleno. They are a little expensive though, for a clock! Around 500-700bucks!

The piece on the dasboard is removable and is there to cover up one of the main dashboard bolts. You can stick a Ganesha Idol there and it shouldn't cause any problem.

The headunit is aftermarket.
binz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 18:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the car. Nice choice. You'll start loving her more when you take it to the highways and see others in the RVM in no time. About question [3], they will have to take out the gear lever and send it to the people who do their upholstery. I think this is a third party job. I have a good feeling that this can be done as new Balenos are available on M2O basis, atleast they were, last time I checked, and this will cost a little more, or else its time to visit Shivajinagar.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 18:55   #5
BHPian

First of all congrats and wish you happy motoring. You might be happy to know that yours produce 94 Bhp, since it is Bharat II.

Quote:
Fellas,

This is in continuation from here. I got the car home at last…

Have been driving around for the past week … and am falling in love with her!
Now would you answer your own question about Baleno Vs Esteem? Appreciate your perspective

Quote:
Tyres not bad (or too good). Will last at least 10,000 kms.
Undertired. Please change them asap. Try braking hard at half decent speed and see.

Quote:
Am beginning to like the back side now!
Typical Baleno owners' paradox. The car literally grows on you. Even I think the rear looks more proportioned than the front.
WhiteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 19:00   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
What's left usually will be some kind of adhesive + dust/dirt and all that.
Petrol/Diesel usually dissolves them and no its no too good for the paint.

But its the simplest way I know off.

Once the initial "bulk" is gone a mild water based rubbing compound + some polish and elbow grease to get it back to glory.

No idea about 2,3,4.

BTW Congrats...!
How much on the ODO ? Price paid (if you don't mind sharing it.)
Thanks, yzfrj ... will try the water-based solution first. The odo reading is 51K+, and I paid Rs.3.35L to Maruti True Value. Full story here (Baleno LXi (2005) -- Good Buy?).

Will try your solution and let you know how it went...

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz View Post
Hey congrats on the car, its lovely and will put a smile on your face everytime.

Just to answer a few of your questions,

The space next to the hazard lamp button is indeed for a clock. You get aftermarket ones specifically for the baleno. They are a little expensive though, for a clock! Around 500-700bucks!

The piece on the dasboard is removable and is there to cover up one of the main dashboard bolts. You can stick a Ganesha Idol there and it shouldn't cause any problem.

The headunit is aftermarket.
Thanks ... yes, it does put a smile on my face each time I drive!

Great to know that spot is for the clock ... now, the next problem is, how to get one? I don't mind paying Rs.500–700, but this car is not in production, so what are the chances of getting a decent clock?

Thanks again!
Old 28th June 2010, 20:00   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Congrats on the car. Nice choice. You'll start loving her more when you take it to the highways and see others in the RVM in no time. About question [3], they will have to take out the gear lever and send it to the people who do their upholstery. I think this is a third party job. I have a good feeling that this can be done as new Balenos are available on M2O basis, atleast they were, last time I checked, and this will cost a little more, or else its time to visit Shivajinagar.
Thanks ... I somehow thought the stitching of the leather was done with the tailor guy sitting crunched up inside the car! Ok, so they take off the gear lever, is it? Same with doors, seats, etc?

Also, are Balenos really available on order? Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
You might be happy to know that yours produce 94 Bhp, since it is Bharat II.
94 bhp? Name:  licklips.gif
Views: 7781
Size:  2.0 KB I was thinking 91! Or is the Bharat II version different? If so, why?

Quote:
Now would you answer your own question about Baleno Vs Esteem? Appreciate your perspective
Hehehe! Yes, I admit. The distinction is obvious, and beyond the 6 bhp difference. This car slams me back into my seat and takes my breath away.

Quote:
Undertired. Please change them asap. Try braking hard at half decent speed and see.
My current tyre specs read 165/80/R13. Upto what tyre sizes can these alloys take? If I want to use 185- or 195-size tyres, will I have to change my alloys too? Name:  sad 1.gif
Views: 7710
Size:  903 Bytes

Please advise...
Old 28th June 2010, 20:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks ... I somehow thought the stitching of the leather was done with the tailor guy sitting crunched up inside the car! Ok, so they take off the gear lever, is it? Same with doors, seats, etc?
If you want a high quality job done like I did for my Lancer's gear knob then it is stitched right till the knob ends. In some cars the knob can be unscrewed. You need to find out if your's can be screwed. Then there are other cheaper options where you can get a leather or art leather cap to slip on on the knob like a condom and zip up the cap to tighten it and knock your self out.

I got mine done when the guy removed the lever to check for the short shifter adjustments.

Quote:
Same with doors, seats, etc?
Lol man, the seats are removed and door panel are removed, not the entire doors.

Quote:
Also, are Balenos really available on order? Wow.
Like I said, I was surprised when I looked at a spanking blue new Baleno at Maruti showroom 2 - 3 years back in Viman Nagar. On asking the guy said they were available on make to order basis. I checked the chart and found that a new make to order gypsy was retailing for 5.5 L on road. I don't remember the Baleno.
Old 28th June 2010, 20:43   #9
BHPian

Congrats on the purchase, it brings back memories of when i got my baleno 3 years ago, you will love everything it has to offer. Drive safe
amith.2974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 20:45   #10
BHPian

Congrats on the Baleno, Car looks pretty good.
Baleno is called as a BEAST, drive safe and Enjoy
Bhargava_sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 20:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the car. I think you made the best possible choice, the Baleno, in my opinion is a better all rounder than the OHC (personal opinion).

Your car does produce 94 horses, mainly because the ECU settings and the catalytic converter are slightly different in the BS-III version. Good for you!

The stereo is not the stock unit. Enjoy
Amartya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 21:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
I have a good feeling that this can be done as new Balenos are available on M2O basis, atleast they were, last time I checked
When , where and how ?

Quote:
My current tyre specs read 165/80/R13. Upto what tyre sizes can these alloys take? If I want to use 185- or 195-size tyres, will I have to change my alloys too?
Please advise...
I would say stick to 14 and the available one's are

175/65-14
175/70-14
185/65-14
195/60-14
205/55-14

195/60/R16 is a good bet and yes you would need to change the alloys too.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 21:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

`Drop into the JC road shops for the clock. You will get them there, otherwise UM cars in indiranagar used to have them.
binz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 21:07   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
When , where and how ?
Like I said 2-3 years back.

Quote:
Like I said, I was surprised when I looked at a spanking blue new Baleno at Maruti showroom 2 - 3 years back in Viman Nagar. On asking the guy said they were available on make to order basis. I checked the chart and found that a new make to order gypsy was retailing for 5.5 L on road. I don't remember the Baleno.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 28th June 2010 at 21:08.
Old 28th June 2010, 21:08   #15
BHPian

1.try simple petrol to remove it or a hair drier.but it is hard to remove it completely.
2.yes it is the place for clock.
3. cant comment but mostly you can.
4.no lxi doest come with srereo.
procircuit_234 is offline   Reply With Quote