Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 8th July 2010, 15:33   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitBahl View Post
It will make sense, if you can churn out 20k kms out of your stock tyres.
I should be able to reach a figure close to that. Expected monthly running is around 2000 km. Let's see. The overall running might come down if I am posted onsite for a while.
sumobom4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 17:22   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
sumobom, you will find a definite engine refinement and smoothness around the 3000 km mark and you will enjoy the ride even more. The sluggishness that you see at lower gears during the initial runs will also disappear as you run more. I have clocked 11500 kms on my Punto so far and it sure has impressed a lot
Dear gopikb, everytime I read such reviews from Punto owners, I want to run to a Fiat dealership and buy a Punto of every colour on offer. But truly, feedbacks on run-in performance and long-term ownership helps people like me to make an infomed choice on this car and not an impulsive one. Impulsive? Let's be honest - This is THE BEST looking Hatchback currently on sale in India.

@Sumobom4, Hearty congratulations on your purchase. Trust me, I have a near identical story to tell - just passed out of MBA from Pune, working for a Mobile Software company, etc. etc... the only dissimilarity is that I am yet to acquire a baby and by now I am almost sure what it is going to be - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Exotica Red

Happy Mile Crunching
SankalpDesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 19:18   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SankalpDesai View Post
Dear gopikb, everytime I read such reviews from Punto owners, I want to run to a Fiat dealership and buy a Punto of every colour on offer. But truly, feedbacks on run-in performance and long-term ownership helps people like me to make an infomed choice on this car and not an impulsive one. Impulsive? Let's be honest - This is THE BEST looking Hatchback currently on sale in India.

@Sumobom4, Hearty congratulations on your purchase. Trust me, I have a near identical story to tell - just passed out of MBA from Pune, working for a Mobile Software company, etc. etc... the only dissimilarity is that I am yet to acquire a baby and by now I am almost sure what it is going to be - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Exotica Red

Happy Mile Crunching
Glad to hear that I contributed to winning over another chap into the FIAT camp! Get one as soon as you can! I am sure you won't regret it!
Old 9th July 2010, 11:12   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SankalpDesai View Post
Sankalp, I am glad my reviews are helping you to reinforce your decision to buy a Punto. It is truly a great car and you will definitely not regret your decision. I have driven her extensively on good as well as bad roads and she has never let me down (Touch wood!!!!) till now.
gopikb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2010, 19:00   #50
BHPian

Yesterday, when I came out of my office into the parking lot, I saw this sight! Couldn't help it, hence clicked a snap with my cell phone. Apologies for the poor quality of the pic and the dirty nature of Formosa. Yesterday, the bypass was full of slush and huge trucks without mudflaps!

Even today, the same car was parked next to mine! Looks like we are going to have our own mini Punto garage here!
Attached Thumbnails
My Italian bombshell Formosa-FIAT Grande Punto 1.3 MJD E-Pack finally enters my life!-dsc00446-copy.jpg  

Old 9th July 2010, 20:03   #51
BHPian

sumobom4..this looks like the DLF parking..correct?
Ferrari1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2010, 23:23   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari1976 View Post
sumobom4..this looks like the DLF parking..correct?
Bazinga! You also work there?

On a different note, because Formosa had become so dirty, I got her properly cleaned today. Went to a place called Sagar Auto Care on Paud Road near MIT college. 100 bucks for outer clean and 180 bucks for full clean. I went in for just the outer clean as the car is barely a week old. But totally VFM.

Mods, I have no commercial connection with this place. Am just mentioning it because I went there.
Old 19th August 2010, 12:44   #53
BHPian

Thumbs up First Free Service done

Formosa's already clocked 3500+ km and I got my first free service done last Saturday. When I called up the Concorde servicing centre in Bombay, they said there was a 3 week waiting period. So, I decided to get the servicing done at BU Bhandari's Wakad workshop in Pune, which immediately gave me an appointment for the next Saturday. When I went to the service station, the car was promptly taken in, inspected and all things to be done were explained to me. Since it was the first service, oil wasn't changed. All standard checks were done and fluid levels checked and topped up. I only had 2 things to report. The door beading on the left rear door had come off and was sagging. The other problem was that a stupid Jeep driver had knocked into me from behind and taken out my reverse lamp assembly on the bumper (details mentioned in my post on GTO's Punto review thread). I also asked them to put 3M teflon coating on the engine.
In the evening, I got an SMS telling me that the car was ready. The SA told me that the beading wasn't available in stock and hence, they would replace it later. They had temporarily fixed it, in the meanwhile. It seems the bracket for mounting the reverse light assembly had broken and hence they said that whole bumper needed to be replaced. I wasn't too sure I wanted to do that as they told me that the bumper comes in black and will, hence, have to be painted. I am trying to see whether any alternate solution can be found. Any suggestions here?

The final bill came out to Rs. 855 for the engine coating + labour. The car was well cleaned and overall, I had no complaints.

Now, for the driving experience so far. As I had been told by other Punto owners earlier on this thread, the engine is getting smoother by the day. Also, there is noticeable versatility in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears. I am getting a mixed FE of 14-15 kmpl and highway FE of around 16-17 kmpl with 100% AC on. The highway figures seem to be low but I guess that's because it is only on the Bombay-Pune expressway, where I cruise at 130-140. I am by no means a sedate driver.
When I got Formosa, I had also noticed that she had a very cramped footwell, but now I have gotten used to it. No fatigue experienced even after long drives. I noticed many people debating the acceleration figures of the Punto MJD and the Swift DDiS. IMO, the Swift will always win a drag race, no doubt whatsoever. However, in the real world, with potholed roads and sharp corners with multiple obstructions, I feel it is the Punto that shines. The ride and handling still bring a smile to my face and I have come across countless youngsters in Swifts on the roads of Navi Mumbai, who love to dart everywhere, but are held back by the huge craters on the road. The Punto simply soaks everything you throw at it and allows me to cruise without any worries. In the real world, this car is FAST for a hatch.

I only wish FIAT had provided a sixth gear. Then this would truly have been a versatile car. 140 at 3.5K rpm in 5th is way too loud and quite thirsty too!
Old 19th August 2010, 14:44   #54
BHPian

Oh and I forgot earlier. I request the mods to change the title of the thread to My Italian bombshell Formosa-FIAT Grande Punto 1.3 MJD E-Pack finally enters my life! (3500 km update)
Old 19th August 2010, 18:44   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumobom4 View Post
More updates:

On a different note, on Monday when I was going from Pune to Bombay in the evening, it was raining very heavily and the Goodyears performed very nicely. And I can continuously sing praises of the superb steering which communicated even a minor puddle that either of the front tyres hit. I am also enjoying the attention Formosa attracts. When I had stopped for some snacks at Egg Sunday on the Expressway, a couple of people came up to me and asked me if she was any good! My reply was that you need to be intimate with one to find out! Even when I was at the food counter, people were going round the car, staring at her from all angles!

Hey Mum! What was that you were saying about getting me married?
Congrats, Sumobom! You certainly seem to have a gift of the gab - isnt that the consultant's bread and butter anyways? Keep up the spirit and the comparisons - its always a good read about cars and babes in the same breath!
Driver2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 19:28   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver2000 View Post
Congrats, Sumobom! You certainly seem to have a gift of the gab - isnt that the consultant's bread and butter anyways? Keep up the spirit and the comparisons - its always a good read about cars and babes in the same breath!
Thanks, Driver2000! I feel it is always fun to read a post if you spice it up a bit! And Formosa sure is my babe!
Old 7th October 2010, 12:25   #57
BANNED

Hi Sumobom. Nice pics. Congrats though I'm so late in replying to this thread.
Just saw on other thread that you mentioned that you haven't figured out the location of the levers for folding the back seats. Here are two pics of the hidden levers behind the rear seatbelts. Not good quality pics but hope you will be able to find out the location.
Attached Images

PaddleShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 18:04   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
Hi Sumobom. Nice pics. Congrats though I'm so late in replying to this thread.
Just saw on other thread that you mentioned that you haven't figured out the location of the levers for folding the back seats. Here are two pics of the hidden levers behind the rear seatbelts. Not good quality pics but hope you will be able to find out the location.
Yes...I got the location perfectly...thanks a lot for the pics, and also for your wishes! Looks like the number of TBhpians in the Punters' club is increasing steadily!
Old 27th March 2011, 00:52   #59
BHPian

Default Re: My Italian bombshell Formosa-FIAT Grande Punto 1.3 MJD E-Pack finally enters my l

Wow! Long time since my last post. Was very busy and hence, could not post here. Formosa has already undergone her second free service (15000 km) in January this year. Got her serviced this time at Car Repair Shop in Parel. The overall experience was pretty smooth. They took my car in at the appointed time. The SA explained all the tasks to be carried out and gave me the estimated service cost. However, a test drive was not taken as the car was already boxed in by other cars that had come in after me. These guys need a bigger place to run a car service centre. But given the space constraints in Bombay, I guess it's not too surprising. Anyway, as I was busy that day, I couldn't stay with the car during the servicing. In the evening, I got an SMS telling me that the car was ready. Again, no TD was offered. They said that I could bring the car back if I found something wrong with her. Car cleaning was also not done properly and I had to point this out 4 times before they saw to it. I don't remember the exact bill amount but it was only the oil change charge and a pollen filter. Some 5.3K or whereabouts. A couple of months later when I had a puncture, I found that the wheel nut spanner was missing! Obviously, when I got in touch with the TASS, they said that they had no idea about that. Anyway, I will need to get a new one. Any ideas as to where I can get it from?

That was the update about the service. Now about the tyres. SumitBahl's prediction earlier in this thread proved to be eerily accurate. He had predicted that Formosa would need a tyre change in a year's time at the 20K km mark. So far, I had been running the stock GT3s as I had no money left for a tyre change when I got Formosa. It's much earlier than a year, but now Formosa has run 19K km. Around 2 months earlier, I had a sidewall puncture. I got it repaired in the usual way and put that tyre as the spare. Also, even if the air was increased to 32 psi, the front tyres used to sag badly. A few days ago, there was another sidewall pinch. Had no option but to get it repaired in the usual manner, as I did not want to convert the tyre into a tube tyre. Yesterday, when I was coming from Pune to Bombay on the expressway, I felt the car pull occasionally towards the damaged tyre at 140 kmph. The pulling wasn't consistent. When I got the air checked at Khopoli, it was a uniform 30 psi in all tyres. But that incident scared me and I "limped" towards Bombay at 80!

A query was put up in the Punto tyres thread in the Tyres and Alloy section here.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post2293291

Continental CPC2 was the recommendation. However, that brand was not available anywhere I checked, not even in Pune. New stock was expected only at the end of April, with some new ISI mark. As I had quite a few expressway runs planned in this month, I decided to go in for another tyre. A friend who owns a Punto had shod his car with Yoko ES100s and they were running fine for 8K km now. So, I got them fixed (same size - 195/60 R15) from Pal Tyres on Lamington Road. Cost me Rs. 4400 per tyre and buy back of my old tyres was Rs. 150 per tyre. Tyre manufacturing code was 4810. I kept the best of the stock tyres as a spare, as the Yokos were unidirectional ones. Total damage was 17K, which included the tyres, balancing and camber check, with a complimentary tubeless puncture repair kit thrown in.

So far, I am happy with the tyres. The difference is immediately noticeable. The ride is much much smoother and there is less road noise. Complete difference will be known after the expressway run on Monday morning. Will put up a small note about this after that. I have posted the meagre pictures I took with my mobile on the tyre thread.