Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 19th July 2010, 18:03   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

@ JLN: Congrats on getting a good car at a great price. Your efforts and patience in finally getting what you wanted, is a story that puts a lot of people off buying pre-owned cars. But there's a goldmine of great used cars available at rock-bottom prices in every big city, and finding them is a trick that car dealers have learnt better than us!

Wish you many miles of safe driving.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 22:09   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : SMS / Slang language posts are strictly prohibited on Team-BHP. We advise you to visit our board rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 15th September 2010 at 22:22.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 20th July 2010, 08:08   #33
Senior - BHPian

JLN, finally! Congrats buddy.
Sorry i was not able to come and catch up with you on the Verna. I was away on travel. Actually i was thinking you bought the Corolla AT until i got your SMS on the Verna.

Great buy. Wish you have many happy miles with it.

Last edited by SkyWalker : 20th July 2010 at 08:11.
SkyWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 11:52   #34
BHPian

[quote=JLN;1986671]I have tried to capture below the summary of my learnings over the last 4 months with trying to buy a great used car (2/3 year old, low milage, mint condition car) specifically in Bangalore. I have also attached an excel sheet of the best cars I found - almost none of these will qualify as a really great deal, so this is more of a "Best of What is out there" kind of list.

These learnings are all from first hand experience and I have no links with any of the vendors mentioned. I have tried not to repeat the stuff mentioned in other threads, except for this first one:

1) Look for the top end variants in whichever car model you are interested in. The price difference in the used car market between the low end and the top end variants is small. Also look for cars where the owner has added expensive and useful accessories - e.g. leather seats, premium music system, VKool sunfilm etc.

Absolutely agree. The great part of buying a second hand car:
a) Insurance value will actually cover the full price you pay for the car. In case of a new car - insurance only covers your ex show room price, and not taxes etc. So in case the car gets stolen, you suffer 11-13% of the money even after getting full insurance amount.

b) All of us usually put in accessories to make our car comfortable. Knick knacks give the extra kick, over and above pure driving pleasure. So great idea of picking up a great car with lots of knick knacks.

5) carwale.com and sulekha.com are your best bets for searching online. Owners who list cars directly here generally expect ridiculous prices for their cars and seem very unwilling to negotiate significantly. So do a lot of pre-negotiation on the phone and take the effort to visit only if the chances of a deal happening are high.

Agree.

6) Dealers are not worth the effort except for the following:
a) Mahindra First Choice Koramangala - Limited selection of cars, but the guys seem very professional, customer focused, non pushy and give an all-inclusive price.
b) Nandi Toyota UTrust Hosur Road & Popular Automatch in Yeswantpur - Good cars, but prices seemed high for every car I saw there.

I had a bit of an unpleasant experience with Nandi UTrust on Hosur road. I test drove a Corolla, and got a small scratch in the front bumper because of a tempo guy travelling on the opposite direction. I was forced to pay 4.5 K as 'damages' for the car - and I had to pay it because I had already put in a deposit for some car... didnt feel justified, but they had the money already.

Just want to warn other buyers who go to dealerships for test drives: in case of any bumps etc, they might be in for some rude shocks. Better be forewarned and prepared!
Driver2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 12:01   #35
JLN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
JLN, finally! Congrats buddy.
Sorry i was not able to come and catch up with you on the Verna. I was away on travel. Actually i was thinking you bought the Corolla AT until i got your SMS on the Verna.

Great buy. Wish you have many happy miles with it.
Hi Skywalker - I almost bought the Corolla, when a personal and career situation demanded increased driving. So moved from a petrol to a diesel and ended up with a Verna.
JLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 19:02   #36
Senior - BHPian

jln first off congratulations on your acquisition. Calling this car a used one would be a mortal sin IMO coz it looks clean and with 3k odd kms on the odo its seldom that you find such cars. Forget the price even if you paid a few thousands extra the brighter side is that you have an almost new car at your disposal.

Thanks for putting up you shopping experience here, made for a wonderful read. Drive safe.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 20:13   #37
JLN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
jln first off congratulations on your acquisition. Calling this car a used one would be a mortal sin IMO coz it looks clean and with 3k odd kms on the odo its seldom that you find such cars. Forget the price even if you paid a few thousands extra the brighter side is that you have an almost new car at your disposal.

Thanks for putting up you shopping experience here, made for a wonderful read. Drive safe.
Thanks RJstyles69 - cool username. Glad that you enjoyed my story.
Old 20th July 2010, 20:17   #38
JLN
BHPian

This is bad. I can accept if a no-name used car dealership harges you for damages. But Nandi Toyota doing it is ridiculous. I asked the Mahindra First Choice guy about a situation where an accident happens during a test drive. He told me that the driver would have to pay the insurance deductible or a flat charge for the repair, depending on the extent of the damage. In some cases, the car may not have insurance - so the driver is in trouble.
Old 22nd July 2010, 12:21   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLN View Post
This is bad. I can accept if a no-name used car dealership harges you for damages. But Nandi Toyota doing it is ridiculous. I asked the Mahindra First Choice guy about a situation where an accident happens during a test drive. He told me that the driver would have to pay the insurance deductible or a flat charge for the repair, depending on the extent of the damage. In some cases, the car may not have insurance - so the driver is in trouble.
Exactly - all cars have insurance, but many a times the dealer has bought the car 'temporarily', so there is no registered owner. So insurance does not apply. I am not sure who is at fault here then... I would think these dealerships should have some sort of blanket insurance.

Hope people read this and are aware of the possible pitfalls of test driving at second hand dealer.
Driver2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 22:58   #40
JLN
BHPian

Default 20 Days 900 km report

I have had the car for 20 days - no long drives yet, except for a short trip to Nandi hills and a trip to the airport. Got the car serviced at Trident Hyundai - cost me Rs.4,995. Learnt that the previous owner had installed K&N filter - so no air filter changes required for 3-4 years - nice surprise.

Milage: Drive with ac on 100% - milage is 13 approx.

The Great Stuff:
1) The powerful engine (especially for me after driving a Indica Turbo for 5 years).
2) Functional and comfy interiors with lots of storage space
3) Excellent Noise insulation
4) Infinity Speakers - definitely worth the 3K additional I paid for them over the JBLs.
5) Lenso Samurai alloys are a stunner.
6) The iGadget Bluetooth rear view mirror is exceptional to say the least - would highly recommend it to those looking for a hands free option.

The Good Stuff:
1) Auto AC - convenient stuff.

The Bad Stuff:
1) Interiors get dirty easily (beige). It's getting painful keeping the car clean.
2) Seat covers - looks good, but again tough to maintain.
3) Boot space - I somehow was able to load more stuff in my indica with the seats folded. I had a tough time fitting in all the stuff I purchased for my restaurant from Metro today. This used to be a breeze in the Indica.
4) Car bounces around on uneven surfaces - possible because of the 15" tyres.
5) Should have gone in for the double din head unit.

The Ugly Stuff:
1) Autocop issues - the car alarm goes off every 30 minutes or so. need to get this fixed.
2) The roof mounted LCD screen pretty much blocks rear view mirror visibility. So my family's plans to watch movies on highway drives may not exaclt materialize. Will not recommend the roof mounted options for Verna.
3) Potenza tyres are noisy on the road - especially on concrete surfaces.
4) Handling is horrible - especially around corners. Steering feedback seems absent.

Last edited by JLN : 5th August 2010 at 23:00.
Old 12th August 2010, 11:11   #41
BHPian

loved the alloys how much did it cost you ? are they available in 14inches ?
Lancer.ized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 12:54   #42
BHPian

Quote:
I have had the car for 20 days - no long drives yet, except for a short trip to Nandi hills and a trip to the airport. Got the car serviced at Trident Hyundai - cost me Rs.4,995. Learnt that the previous owner had installed K&N filter - so no air filter changes required for 3-4 years - nice surprise.

Milage: Drive with ac on 100% - milage is 13 approx.
Decent mileage in city, feathering the throttle and selecting gears wisely will push it to 14-15KMPL

Quote:
The Ugly Stuff:
1) Autocop issues - the car alarm goes off every 30 minutes or so. need to get this fixed.
Verna SX comes with a Keyless entry and theft protection alarm, Autocop installed on top of that? If so are you using a secondary remote?

Quote:
4) Handling is horrible - especially around corners. Steering feedback seems absent.
Lack of steering feedback and Marshmallow suspension is a dreadful combo, so entry speeds at corners are crucial.

Yeah, and welcome to the Club
Maverick_x1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 22:52   #43
Senior - BHPian

congrats on purchasing the preowned rocket

Quote:
Learnt that the previous owner had installed K&N filter - so no air filter changes required for 3-4 years - nice surprise.
BTW are you kidding ? the K&N doesnt need replacement for 3 years is it? will is last for 30-50k kms?
joshguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2010, 15:54   #44
JLN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer.ized View Post
loved the alloys how much did it cost you ? are they available in 14inches ?
the car came with the alloys (5 of them). These are Lenso Samurai 15 inchers. I checked for pricing at Sachin's Auto shop, Bangalore - a set of 5 would cost you around 26K. 14 inchers may be slightly cheaper.
Old 13th September 2010, 15:55   #45
JLN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick_x1 View Post
Decent mileage in city, feathering the throttle and selecting gears wisely will push it to 14-15KMPL

Verna SX comes with a Keyless entry and theft protection alarm, Autocop installed on top of that? If so are you using a secondary remote?

Lack of steering feedback and Marshmallow suspension is a dreadful combo, so entry speeds at corners are crucial.

Yeah, and welcome to the Club
I have a secondary autocop - I just don;t use it. I just use the Hyundai remote key now. Need to fix it though - the secondary set-up also has auto close for the windows - very convenient.