Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 31st July 2010, 22:06   #136
BHPian

Test drove the Diesel Altis today. It was the GL variant. I was impressed by the cabin, space and the features provided. However it did not have the rear AC vent. Turning on the engine, the noise was initially very low, but after a while the typical diesel engine noise was audible. The noise got even more when the car was in motion. The turbo appears to kick in at about 2k rpm. Before that the car feels slow and really needs reving to get it moving. It handles very well, the steering is accurate and can easily seat 3 at the back. The centre hump at the rear is very minimal. The info display was showing 11.8km/litre. I have test driven the Jetta and Laura before and there was plenty of power in those two. The OTR is about 16.8 in Bangalore, only 1L less than the Jetta trendline. I thought to myself that I will wait to TD the Vento and make a decision. The Altis left me with a mixed feeling, it is good but not at all exciting.
msd63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2010, 10:40   #137
asw
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace View Post
@ ASW, Bigger engine eats into cabin space
Engine is not placed inside cabin . If the engine bay is big, cabin space might be smaller. It doesn't matter whether engine is big or small. Your point is irrelevant.
asw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2010, 13:46   #138
BHPian

I talked to my dealer in Noida. He said 25 days waiting for diesel Altis.

Does any body else has any info about other location bookings trends?
akj53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2010, 11:13   #139
Senior - BHPian

I went to Ravindu Toyota last Saturday with an intention to TD the Altis diesel. We were two of us. We reached the place, sat in the car and were familiarising ourselves when a lady walked upto us and said:

Sir, first time here?
I said yes.
Do you need someone's help Sir?
Yes, please for the Altis diesel.

She walked away and we continued to check the car out. Checked the space inside, fit and finish, engine bay, boot, tires, suspension, paint, door handles, tires, bumpers, lights, ashtrays....everything for over 30 minutes yet....

Not a single soul turned up to offer us "Help" which the lady has suggested, let alone a TD.

We walked out, only to see a banner on the main gate.
"Ravindu Toyota is glad to announce 20,000 customers".
n.devdath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2010, 11:30   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Not a single soul turned up to offer us "Help" which the lady has suggested, let alone a TD.

We walked out, only to see a banner on the main gate.
"Ravindu Toyota is glad to announce 20,000 customers".
Case of success getting into the heads of Toyota dealers? Or is it that Altis diesel would sell anyways?
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2010, 09:34   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey I just came across this thread and maybe i am a little late in replying but nevertheless let me.
I am in the market currently planning to change my NHC 2005 for a Diesel sedan. The car is gonna be driven in the city 90% of the times and almost always by the chauffeur. The car is ofcourse for my dad.
First let me take the Vento highline vs Altis d4-d question.
After reading GTOs review of the Vento I was totally convinced that its going to be the car for us. I went and checked out the car and TD it. Everything about the car smelled good apart from the dealership experience which was very bad(but I was ready to excuse them since its a new launch and they are busy). After checking the vento I went to check the Altis which is just next doors to VW. My first impression was WOW. Guys trust me unless you have personally checked out both the vehicles do not pass a verdict. The Altis belongs to a segment above and it shows clearly. The size, GC, Cabin space, Luxurious feeling inside- everything about it is better then the Vento. The engine as you guys rightly point out is the only let down. But consider the target customer( in this case my dad). He has no need for a 0-100 dash in 10s. He would always be travelling on the back seat, he absolutely has got no time to spare to take the car to the service station frequently( something where toyota badge helps), he doesnt want the driver to cut lanes or speed up in the city and rather just wants him to drive slow and steady from point A-B. So between the vento and the toyota, the Toyota Altis surely wins in this regard because of its better road presence( more executive style).

Secondly some of you might ask me then why not go for the Laura, Cruze and Jetta.
Cruze- The back seat comfort is better in Altis. The better engine doesnt do anything much for me as I told you earlier about the driving requirements/style.
Laura and Jetta- First they are way more costlier than the altis- both On road price and also maintenance later. Secondly There are so many stories of shocking A** of skoda doing the rounds in TBHP that I would rather stay away from those cars.

So the moral of the story is that Altis is a great car for the target audience. Ofcourse If I had to buy a car for my personal driving I would never go for it but then toyota probably never had me in there mind as the target customer.
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2010, 09:58   #142
Team-BHP Support

By the way how are the sales showing up? Any effects seen on Cruze/Laura/Jetta?

I guess even Vento would have brought that down, if not the Altis.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2010, 10:31   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

I dont know about the figures but vento surely would be eating its way into the market happily. The VW showroom in delhi has been transformed into a fish market. They were delivering 3 Vento diesel highlines at 7:30 pm in the night when I went to the showroom along with a couple of polos. lets just wait for the figures.
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote