Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 27th July 2010, 18:35   #106
Senior - BHPian

Experiments like this can happen only in India. Toyota should be admonished for this act. 1.4L engine in a executive car costing more than 11lacs base price..!!An insult to Indian customer just like the stupid 'Kitna deti hai' ad from Maruti. But who cares. Still some so called practical executives will buy this crap of a car and boast of T badge.

Last edited by poloman : 27th July 2010 at 18:41.
poloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2010, 19:06   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I guess people want power, performance, reliability and resale value in one package.
I think it is fair to have such expectation.

Especially when one is spending close to 1.5 million INR.

Even otherwise, Swift diesel being a case in point.
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2010, 19:53   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVE HER(ALD)! View Post
It eventually proves that the proverbial "beggars cant be chosers" still applies to the Indian customer who eventually has to compromise on performance even after shelling out a fortune for their luxury car.
You are comparing Fabia with Toyota Altis.

BTW if you are looking for bigger engine go for Chevy Cruze Toyota is not forcing people to buy Altis D4D!

Last edited by abhibh : 27th July 2010 at 19:55.
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2010, 21:27   #109
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Very good review Sid.
Motor performance has disappointed, but Toyota has the technology, quality and brand to come back successfully. Subconsciously we think that a bigger car needs a bigger engine, ultimately the performance and FE counts more and I think Toyota has not forgotten this.
RGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2010, 23:04   #110
BHPian

@GTO: I have driven both laura and octavia brand new side by side with the Altis diesel and can sure swear that Altis was very light footed, the initial pickup in cruze cannot be matched with any car,not even Altis. Cruze scores in overall looks but the main drawback of Cruze is the heavy engine which came out clearly. Yes I don't have to lug around the engine anywhere but since it has a bigger engine,the cabin area is quite cramped.(I am 6 foot+)

Its not fair on anyones part to put down a product because 'they felt' it is not matching to their palate. Toyota is not insane to bring in a product that is going to fail/fall through. If you see the lineup of cars manufactured by each company they do have car that failed to impress the masses,but please point out one vehicle from Toyota stables that was a flop show? To start with Qualis, and then Innova,Corolla,Prado,Fortuner are all leaders in their respective segments.

@Poloman: The qualis was also touted to be underpowered,small wheeled,called hearse van,breadbox etc. But numbers prove otherwise. Same case with Santro. The early models were called frog look and something like that but numbers were saying something else.

Warm Regards
Andy
Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2010, 09:25   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace View Post
@Vkochar: You may not have the cake and eat it too. Toyota is giving you FE of 21+ and thats what we Indians look at a car and invariably think aloud "average kya ha". You cannot have power and FE at the same time. Toyota is very clear and has a strategy ahead to remain topslot in marketshare instead of changing the rules,you have to change the gameplan itself. I do not think any manufacturer of size of that car ever dared to claim a mileage of this number. Its difficult to make all people happy at the same time. As regards of your query on BHP,you have to see at what RPM you are getting the power,obviously more RPM means more stress on the engine.

@extreme_torque: When Toyota built the Corolla diesel,they stripped down a laura,octavia and a cruze and made the corolla from thereon. Infact I suggest you to drive a cruze and Altis dsl side by side. Cruze will feel very heavy as it is having a 2 litre engine,corolla will be very lightr footed.
Toyota is not clear and as far as their strategy goes - they just want you to pay more and more now. What used to be a top car and was good VFM and the only car that gave Honda Civic some competetion even after so many years. Now sadly they decided to launch a car with a 1.4 !! Even the Verna which is 4 lacs cheaper comes with a 1.5L - 110 bhp engine ! That is my point.

And as far as your comment on Cruze feeling very heavy and Corolla feelig light - No Comments

What you are also forgetting is this car was also on the list of many people like me who till today had a sedan like a Verna or a Fiesta and maybe were looking at a bigger sedan - above the 12 Lac mark. BUT now looking at the engine - I can only look at the Jetta, Cruze or Laura.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Lets please quit making such ridiculous statements. So what if the engine is larger, do you have to carry it around on your shoulders? Fact of the matter is : The Cruze has an engine befitting of its asking price, is way more powerful, performs substantially better and is respectably fuel efficient too. Sure, it might log 2 kpl less than the Altis in the city, but I don't see any 15 lakh rupee customers breaking into a sweat over 1.5 - 2 kpl. Especially when its the greasy fuel.

You should take a spin in the Laura DSG. Engine size notwithstanding, it's even lighter to drive than a Swift Dzire.
Exactly - Someone spending 15 lacs is not worried about paying the extra couple of hundred rupees in fuel costs every month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Experiments like this can happen only in India. Toyota should be admonished for this act. 1.4L engine in a executive car costing more than 11lacs base price..!!An insult to Indian customer just like the stupid 'Kitna deti hai' ad from Maruti. But who cares. Still some so called practical executives will buy this crap of a car and boast of T badge.
I respect the Maruti Guys for worrying about our country's obsession with FE and for meeting it in most of their cars - but we are not talking about a 5 lac rupees car - we are talking about a car that comes at 3 times its price.

Even the Figo comes with a 1.4 !! I guess they looked at the Figo's success and thought hey why not give the Indians a 1.4 too on a car 3 times its size !!

Anyway - to each his own - as far as I am concerned I am out of this one.

Last edited by vkochar : 28th July 2010 at 09:28.
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2010, 10:08   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
BTW if you are looking for bigger engine go for Chevy Cruze Toyota is not forcing people to buy Altis D4D!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace View Post
Its not fair on anyones part to put down a product because 'they felt' it is not matching to their palate. Toyota is not insane to bring in a product that is going to fail/fall through.
Agree completely with these statement. It will be difficult for a car manufacturer in India or even in the world, that will make every customer happy. So, they tend to target a segment which they feel will be ideal for their product. Toyota obviously sees a market for a diesel altis regardless of if it is 1.4 liter capacity or not.

People seem to be so upset about this and going ballistic, when all you need to do is take your check book or loan officer and walk/drive to the nearest Chevy/Skoda/VW dealer and come back putting pedal to metal and a big grin on your face. With Skoda the grin will get wiped out eventually when you start seeing your service bills, but then again that is a couple of years down the road..hopefully.

Guys remember that we are not in communist russia. Although limited, people do have a choice. There is no govt issued mandate to buy the Altis Diesel. Don't get an aneurysm over the engine size. Get a Lauro/Cruze/Jetta, there will be plenty of takers for the Altis deisel without us having to shed tears or berate Toyota about it.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2010, 10:23   #113
Senior - BHPian

This is getting interesting. Here is my take on this. Toyota have launched the Altis D with a specific set of customers in mind. The chauffeur driven city dwellers who want Toyota reliability, assurance and a Corolla for its brand. It is a smart move and I believe that the Altis will succeed in garnering decent numbers enough to make it viable.

The Cruze and the Laura on the other hand are meant to be driven/driver's cars and are hence better specced, equipped and yes, much better VFM as well.

If I were in the market, I d go for the Cruze but if my dad was, he'd probably go for a Corolla.

Get the drift?
n.devdath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2010, 10:47   #114
Senior - BHPian

Agree Toyota may be able to sell this car in numbers. But in the process the company has lost good amount of credibility and respect by its balatant attempt to short change Indian customers. The margins on this car will be astronomical. I see lot of peole who had waited for this car may shift to high end Vento.
poloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2010, 11:08   #115
Senior - BHPian

Nothing new in over pricing. The petrol Corolla used to sell for INR 6.5 lacs in the US a few years ago, the Fortuner still sells for around 10-12 lacs INR in Thailand.
n.devdath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2010, 11:59   #116
BHPian

Dear All,
Something goofed up on the excel sheet I was trying to share. Mods please delete my previous post and guide me how to show excel sheet.

1. The market leader in Petrol segment is Corolla obviously against civic.
2. Corolla petrol manages to beat jetta diesel.
3. Cruze and octavia have higher sales than corolla because of diesel.

Source of this data is CII and SIAM industry information and NURC(not hell ofcourse) - News update research centre
Old 28th July 2010, 12:03   #117
BHPian

Mods please help me paste an excel sheet
Old 28th July 2010, 12:10   #118
Senior - BHPian

Toyota is number 1 in the world because it can give cars that people want. I would never buy the diesel Altis for the lack of torque. It will be interesting to see how many people did Toyota see wanting/needing such a package.

Last edited by srishiva : 28th July 2010 at 12:12.
srishiva is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2010, 12:11   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Nothing new in over pricing. The petrol Corolla used to sell for INR 6.5 lacs in the US a few years ago, the Fortuner still sells for around 10-12 lacs INR in Thailand.
I GEG YOUR PARDON BUT FORTUNER IN THAILAND COSTS AROUND 1.2-1.3 MILLION BAHTS.
montoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2010, 13:03   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Agree Toyota may be able to sell this car in numbers. But in the process the company has lost good amount of credibility and respect by its balatant attempt to short change Indian customers. The margins on this car will be astronomical. I see lot of peole who had waited for this car may shift to high end Vento.
Come on man. Let's not get too emotional about. You really think Toyota is going to loose all credibility and respect because of 1.4 Altis? Vento is a compact sedan and a person who has budget for Corrolla will not go for a Vento. Vento is basicallly a polo with a boot. If they are keen on diesel, they will most likely plonk for a Cruze/Laura/Jetta.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote