Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 28th July 2010, 14:07   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by montoo View Post
I BEG YOUR PARDON BUT FORTUNER IN THAILAND COSTS AROUND 1.2-1.3 MILLION BAHTS.
Which is around 18 lac INR.

Surprisingly though, it retails for around 406 500 South African Rand which converts to around 25 lacs INR.

Also, in Malaysia, the price is around 2,432,842.30 for the Innova engined 75BHP version.

The Philippines price is around 1,770,607.08 INR.

Guess, the pricing varies to some extent across countries.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2010, 14:08   #122
Senior - BHPian

Is it that simple? Look what has happened to Civic sales after the advent of ANHC. People moving one segment lower or upper is not a big deal. Every sedan can be visualized as a hatch with a boot.

Last edited by poloman : 28th July 2010 at 14:10.
poloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2010, 14:34   #123
BHPian

@Poloman, I was trying to show an excel sheet which went for a six, anyway as 4x4 addict sums up brilliantly-there is no govt mandate to buy diesel altis only. You still can go in for a petrol altis.Or whatever suits your pocket and palate

Cheers mate
Andy
Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 11:21   #124
BHPian

Ultimately it is the market which will decide the winner and whether Toyota is right or wrong. There is no point in debating endlessly here.

Does anybody have any info on the initial bookings trend of Altis D??

Currently I am in UK but would still try to talk to my dealer and post the feedback later.
akj53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 12:42   #125
BHPian

Well i think that the Toyota Corolla Altis D will have its own market. A reliable Toyota product which is in the Indian market for quite some time now, plonked with a diesel engine makes good sense for a lot of people.
Most of us, or i should say all of us Team-BHP members are genuine car buffs. For us the engine size would definitely matter. At the same time, we live in a cost conscious market.

The Cruz is definitely more powerful than the Corolla, but that would also reflect in the fuel efficiency figures. Moreover a majority of Indian buyers would any day trust Toyota more than Chevrolet.
the vehicle i see spoiling everybody's show is the Volkswagen Vento. Its decently powered, very comfortable, German engineering.
If they sell it at the rumoured price of around 9 lakhs then they have winner on their hands. No doubt about that. ..!!!
Turbocharged-KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 12:50   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Yes, I drove it. Koi shaq?

That's why it is labelled as a "first drive" and not a complete "test drive". One hour drive in various conditions isn't really a test drive but enough to put in first impressions. Kindly note that a "first drive" is not necessarily a complete tbhp standard "test drive." A first drive is just an kind of orientation of what to expect from a product and it is you, the buyer that makes the final decision.
it was the same with the punto. I got a different demo car which I lambasted and the other cars i saw had decidedly better interiors and a much better fit and finish. But the product which I got, the review had to be on that. so perceptions had differed
Now here you are contradicting your own statements which you have posted in your GP VGT 90 HP review. You pointed that the interior fit & finish was horrific.

Can you please explain, how the interiors are better finished ? if possible can you post the pics of the better finished interiors. AFAIK, during my test drive, the Fit & finish was not good near the Steering Column, and i have posted the pics of it on GP VGT 90 HP review thread.
sharma_sanjeevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 14:50   #127
BHPian

Would be interesting to see how VW prices the Vento since the Etios would also debut around the same time. Knowing VW, the Vento is likely to be priced in the ANHC or higher segment. 7-9L as some reports claim seem to be too good to be true. That too when the top end Polo is 7+.
fuel_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 15:33   #128
BHPian

The Vento diesel if priced below or near about 10L on road would surely hurt even the Corolla. A guy spending more than 10L wants value not just a boring reliable car. The interiors of the Corolla are by far the most utilitarian and uninspiring amongst all the cars above 10L. A prospective owner of a 1.4 diesel corolla would not feel very nice when he finds that his friend who bought a 1.6 Vento is not only cheaper but also quicker. Lets not even talk of the Cruz and its German and Czech mates. Taxi companies will continue to buy Innovas, as the Corolla can never match the versatility of the Innova.
SPARKled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 19:09   #129
BHPian

I just cant believe what Toyota has done for a car in this segment....! It definely deserves and engine of 1.6L or more. Anyways, till now none of their offerings have failed in the market and may be this one might just sell well, being the mileage king. The only good part i see in this whole power/ BHP/ torque war game is that by Toyota plonking a 1.4 L engine in their Altis which is priced over 13 lacs, the Linea, Punto, Dzire, Vento will all look like hot hatches or sedans and good value for money while the skodas and cruzes will be stand outs in the competition. The cruze and the optra are definitely kings in their segment. If the average customer equates CC or BHP blindly to mileage then all these cars will probably start selling better. FIAT may stand to gain in this respect with some better numbers
machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2010, 10:22   #130
BHPian

We indians are still admiring toyota's quality . Globally Toyota’s image problems just keep getting worse. They are recalling cars due to poor quality. Toyota is exploiting indians with highly overpriced car (LC ,Corolla,Fortunner). We should change our mindset about toyota now.
Cruz, VW are feature filled compared to corolla

Toyota suspends sale of eight models. - BusinessWeek

Faulty pedals and millions of cars recalled: Toyota's reputation accelerates into trouble | Business | The Guardian
cijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2010, 10:46   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cijo View Post
We should change our mindset about toyota now.
See, Toyota over a period of time, has built a stellar reputation in terms of after sales and service in India. Customer has a lot of faith in Toyota for this reason.

It is the for the competition (GM, VW, Skoda) to improve on the A.S.S. and reach the level where Toyota is. Until that happens, the others would have to be content with playing the feature game to attract customers. Risk averse customers will keep flocking to Toyota.
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2010, 14:35   #132
BHPian

Quote:
We indians are still admiring toyota's quality . Globally Toyota’s image problems just keep getting worse. They are recalling cars due to poor quality. Toyota is exploiting indians with highly overpriced car (LC ,Corolla,Fortunner). We should change our mindset about toyota now.

Faulty pedals and millions of cars recalled: Toyota's reputation accelerates into trouble | Business | The Guardian

Toyota is respected globally and not just here. Almost every car in India is overpriced compared to their prices in other countries. Why single out Toyota alone for this? They have gone a bit too far with the pricing of the Diesel Altis but that has been discussed here already.

The suspension of 8 Toyota models as well as the unintended acceleration issues had their source in the US. How many Toyotas in India have been recalled due to this? The answer is none.

I would consider any company that is recalling cars a honest company wanting to sort out the problems and keep customers happy. Maruti never recalls any of their cars in India. Does this mean they make defect free cars?
fuel_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2010, 07:08   #133
asw
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace View Post
Yes I don't have to lug around the engine anywhere but since it has a bigger engine,the cabin area is quite cramped.(I am 6 foot+)

What is the relation between engine size and cabin area?

According to your theory, corolla 2.0 diesel or even 1.8 petrol should be short on cabin space and cruze 1.4 turbo petrol should have more interior space.
asw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2010, 21:01   #134
BHPian

What is the relation between engine size and cabin area?

@ASW,Bigger engine eats into cabin space
Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2010, 21:28   #135
BHPian

Quote:

Heard about the notorious Bherchal? The Sheep syndrome that we guys are famous for? where one sheep points the others follow without using their heads!!
windiesel is offline   Reply With Quote