Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 29th July 2010, 07:25   #1
BHPian

So I am finally coming on to change my car, that is my Alto Lx. I was looking for all the contenders and there are a lots of them today in the market. My dad always favored a small car, however there is a problem with small cars. Out of 4 members in our family, my dad, my brother and me, we are all 6 ft+. So finding a small car, in which all 4 of us would fit in, is quite improbable. To an extent the sole factor that made me stick with Alto all this while is if we have to sit uncomfortably, then why to spend extra $$$$.

Me and my brother looked at a lots of cars, however the only small car in which all of us could fit in well were Indica (we didnt like the looks of one), Figo (almost finalized at one stage) and i20 (way high priced). So we thought, why not a Sedan. Then we came accross Tata Manza. This is one car on this side of 6L, which is huge, really huge I must admit. Both, my brother and me fell in love with the space inside this car and the seating position is just superb. I mean our other car is a WagonR, however the seating height of a Manza is just perfect. Neither do you have to literally climb on to it, nor do you have to crawl into it. So we sort of finalized this car and luckily my parents also agreed on to buying this car.

Stage 1: Finding the right Dealer

Now started hunting for the best price and the best dealership. we checked with Sanya Motors in Mayapuri. The dealership had a dull feel, nobody actually attended us till we actually pleaded for about 7-8 times for it that too after waiting for about 20 good minutes, that too at a time when they had just one other customer, checking their cars out that too in quite the same way like us, without anyone to attend.

Coming to the conversation at Sanya. They were quite sure that there is a waiting period of atleast 4-5 weeks on Manza. Sales person however admitted, if I insist, they can deliver the vehicle right then too. With a polite smile, all I could say was that who wont insist for that. Discounts as per them were out of question. No discounts what so ever, not even a single penny. I asked him for evaluating my Alto for exchange, however the Tata Assured person was not available there and the sales person promised that he would send him to my place to have it evaluated. End of Day 1.

Next day I waited for the whole day, nobody turned up, no calls what so ever from the dealer. In the evening I got a call from one of my colleagues and upon hearing my interest in Manza, he referred me to Techno Automobiles whose owner happened to be a friend of his. The next morning, I got a call from there and the person I spoke with was very polite, very courteous and he answered all my queries about the vehicle and that very evening he sent someone to inspect my Alto.

The next morning, he invited me to his Showroom in Dwarka, and we finalized the deal, booked the vehicle with some discounts and accessories because of my colleague and we paid a cheque worth Rs. 10000 for booking.

Stage 2: LOAN

I wanted maximum loan on the car because of my recent foray into real estate. So unlike the previous stage, this involved more calculations, more time and of course involved more hassles. Techno sales person was assisting in a loan from ICICI bank @ 11% ROI.However, 11% never appealed to me. I was more interested in 8% of SBI. However, SBI has their own pre-requisites and they are more or less impossible to convince.
I contacted a car loan guy from my previous contacts. He was okay with offering 90% finance @ 10.5% ROI. Well, it sounded much sweet and I fell for it. Just then my same colleague, who referred me to Techno came into picture and through his contacts got someone in HDFC bank and the lady there offerred me loan at 9.5% reducing balance which definitely was a lucrative option. So I went for that. The tradeoff being that I had to wait for about 2-4 extra days for getting the vehicle delivery, which was fine considering that I was keen on getting it delivered no 21st of July.

The D-Day

I co-ordinated with the dealer and bank and delivery was confirmed for 21st July. The dealer told me to come around 2 PM as he is expecting the vehicle to arrive around that time after their PDI formalities were done. I took an early leave from work and reached home around 11:30 AM and around 1:30 PM we (My parents and my brother) started for the dealership in our Alto (which was to be exchanged for the Manza).
We reached at the dealership around 2:35 PM, courtesy heavy traffic and as we entered we got a glimpse of the vehicle, a Minimal Grey Tata Manza Safire Aura. My Parents, brother and me, we all were overjoyed at the sight of the vehicle and that itself justified the spend on this car.

The guys at the dealership were busy with Paint protection coating and in the meanwhile, we finished all the paperwork and other stuff after throughly inspecting the vehicle. The vehicle had done 18 Kms till then, which was fine. After coating, the Autocop guy started installing the gearlock and the remote antitheft locking system. In the meanwhile we saw the reverse parking system which was installed in a linea which was waiting to be delivered. Everyone unanimously decided that reverse parking system is a must and needs to be installed.

Everything was going smooth and just then Autocop guy announced that the kit that he has got, though is customized for Manza, but wiring harness is having messed up +ve and -ve connections. The salesman tried to convince me to take the car and come back the next day for it to be installed, which I was not very comfortable with. So, the guy himself went to Autocop Service Center and got a new kit and installed it.

By the time the car was ready for delivery, it was already 7:15 PM. In a small ceremony, the keys were handed over to my fatheralong with a box of choclates, pics were clicked and we drove off. I had to drop my brother to his office in NOIDA and from there we went over to Gurudwara Bangla Sahib, offered prayers and then reached home at 11:30.

Initial Experience

As you guys must have realised that previously I used to drive Alto LX. Compared to that, first thing I noticed while driving is space, and that too a lots of it. Gear shift is good and a whole lot better than Alto and previous generation Indigo and Indica.

All round visibility is where the car lacks a bit. I mean Alto is a kind of car that can zip through the city traffic, however Manza is on the other side, you cannot be quite sure of distance remaining between your cars bumber and the car in front.

The suspension is very soft. It eats all the pot holes with ease. However, the flip side is even though it has a good ground clearance, Manza's under body does get scraped on those high speed breakers. Overall a very good city and highway experience, but not that confident about driving on bad roads.

After completing 440 odd kilometers, DIS is showing a average of 10.6 Kms. A bit on lower side, however as said by the dealership, it will improve after second service.

Overall a decent vehicle for city and highways.

A few Niggles

Ofcourse it is a car and it cant be without its set of issues. The major one that I faced was that there was a piece of plastic near the rear right wheel (near the mudflap) which was not properly fixed and it wore off due to constant rubbing with tyre causing some abnormal noise in cabin. I took the car to workshop and those guys after a initial resistance, changed the plastic piece and gave the car back. Just a kilometer down from service station, that piece came off. Took it hack and this time had them work hard on it to fix it permanently.

The front bumper is having paint defects near the headlamps. Near the driver side headlamps, the paint is like having dirt under the clear coat and just under the passenger side headlamp, about half an inch by half inch area is not having any paint at all. TATA QA needs to work really hard about these issues.

Rear left brake light had a few scrape marks on it and it was replaced again after some insistance.

Apart from this, its been a great experience with the car.

Bright areas

I must admit that Mandy handles pretty well on road. I would be able to comment about its highway characteristics only after the coming weekend thats when I get to take it to Amritsar. The steering is just right, neither too light like EPS of maruti, nor too heavy.

Bluetooth connectivity in stereo is just kewl. It works flawlessly with my E63 and my brother's N97. Quite good voice clarity. The factory music system is also pretty decent. Unlike many other competitors, the voice clarity is quite good in factory fitted system.

15 inch wheels look pretty good on this one. Anything less would be a crime on this one. However all said, I would say they should have been 195 or even better would be 205.

Rear seat, what can I say about it. It is huge, really comfortable and really spacious. Unlike any other car in its segment and a segment above.
It does not feel underpowered at all in city driving till now. Will post updates when I return from my highway stint.

Overall if I have to rate this car, it scores 8.5 out of 10 and that 1.5 points go away for quality issues with Tata. As a vehicle, its a superb one.

I am looking forward to art leather seat covers in Semi bucket finish. These are the ones where you get factory finish on seats with original seat cushion in place. I have a quote of Rs. 4600/- for the same. Please advise if its good or shall I look forward to somewhere else?

Last edited by GTO : 23rd August 2010 at 19:20. Reason: Adding your car review to the first post so that others benefit from the same.
tajender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 07:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

Smile

Tajender,

Let me be the first person to congratulate you on you new asset. Manza is indeed a total VFM from Tata's. It was in the contention when I was looking out for a sedan but a couple of -ves actually put me off the car.
Can you let us know what is the OTR cost, Insurance and what accessories have you planned for your Mandy. Pics are a must with every initial ownership.

BTW did you feel comfortable with the small rear windscreen and an uplifted boot. I must agree you get a kings space at the rear. All the Best.
ghodlur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 08:35   #3
BHPian

Congrats on your new car.

Did you also get the 10K exchange bonus Tata Motors is offering on Manza?
rishab.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 08:47   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Tajender,

Can you let us know what is the OTR cost, Insurance and what accessories have you planned for your Mandy. Pics are a must with every initial ownership.

BTW did you feel comfortable with the small rear windscreen and an uplifted boot. I must agree you get a kings space at the rear. All the Best.
Below are the OTR details

Ex-Showroom: Rs. 534030/-
Insurance: Rs. 15717/-
Extended Warranty: Rs. 5250/-
Logistics Charges: Rs. 2000/-
Basic Accesories kit: Rs. 1500/-
Registration, Road Tax and No. Plate Chgs: Rs. 26461/-
-------------------------------------------------------
TOTAL Rs. 584958

I would be posting the pics today evening as I havent clicked any till now.

The rear windscreen seems adequate while driving, though the reverse parking sensors are a must for this car, as otherwise its very difficult to guage distance while trying to reverse the vehicle.

Currently I am not planning much of accesories on Mandy. I already have got the Autocop security system, Gearlock and Reverse Parking Sensors installed. I also got rear speakers (Pioneer 6993, which I already had from my Alto) installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishab.k View Post
Congrats on your new car.

Did you also get the 10K exchange bonus Tata Motors is offering on Manza?
Yep, I did get the exchange bonus over and above the sale price of the Alto.

Last edited by tajender : 29th July 2010 at 08:55.
Old 29th July 2010, 08:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

Nice and crisp experience Tajender. Congrats on the new car. When it comes to space and VFM, very few brands can take on TATA products.

Enjoy Motoring.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 09:40   #6
BHPian

Congrats on your new Manza.

Enjoy the back seat space. Waiting for the pictures
Ram_NP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 12:18   #7
BHPian

Welcome to the Manza club Tajender. You made a good choice no doubt
But be prepared for a few niggles here and there.

I also got my Manza from Techno Dwarka.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...hno-autos.html (Dealership Experience while buying Tata Manza from Techno Autos)

and http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...narch-red.html (The Monarchy is here!! Manza Quadarajet Monarch Red!!)

Please correct me if I am wrong but I think you missed out on mentioning the exact variant of Manza you got. Petrol/Diesel?
By looking at cost figures you have posted I think it is Petrol(Saffire).

Please do post pics of your prized possession.
Heres wishing you a very pleasant ride of Manza
amitw79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 12:25   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitw79 View Post

Please correct me if I am wrong but I think you missed out on mentioning the exact variant of Manza you got. Petrol/Diesel?
By looking at cost figures you have posted I think it is Petrol(Saffire).
He did mention minimal grey Manza Aura Safire.
rishab.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 12:34   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishab.k View Post
He did mention minimal grey Manza Aura Safire.
Yes, I missed that earlier

Tajender, please do share your experience with Saffire engine and its performance along with FE figures after your have driven it for a while.

Congrats again!
amitw79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 13:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the car. Real VFM. What deal did u get for your alto?
fiat_tarun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 14:22   #11
BHPian

Congratulations on your new car. Man you have a playground of space at the rear. Wish you a happy motoring.
joe1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 14:26   #12
BHPian

Congrats on your new buy, Manza will surely make you smile with the amount of space it offers. Waiting for some stunning pics
challa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 15:32   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the manza. The rear benchers will be more than happy with the space. Enojy many more miles with the Manza.

Do post the pictures of the car
nkrishnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 20:39   #14
BHPian

Congrats For the Mandy. VFM is one of the strongest forte of the Tata. When do we get to see the pics??
Utopian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2010, 07:59   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Nice and crisp experience Tajender. Congrats on the new car. When it comes to space and VFM, very few brands can take on TATA products.

Enjoy Motoring.
Thanks a lot for your wishes. Yep, Tata for sure stands out in crowd when it comes to VFM and more so with Manza the niggles with earlier products seem to be inexistent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram_NP View Post
Congrats on your new Manza.

Enjoy the back seat space. Waiting for the pictures
Thanks for your wishes, am posting the long awaited pics in the following post.

Quote:
Welcome to the Manza club Tajender. You made a good choice no doubt
But be prepared for a few niggles here and there.

Thanks a lot. This definitely is a car worth the money and Techno is one of the best of the dealerships I have come accross.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Congrats on the car. Real VFM. What deal did u get for your alto?
Thanks dude. I got 1.45 (including exchange bonus) for my Alto, despite the fact that it had done 68K, tyres worn out badly and repainted panels. I could have got better from local used car dealers, though they quote a lot higher, but making them pay and ensuring complete paperwork and hassles they pose are not worth the deal.

Quote:
Yes, I missed that earlier

Tajender, please do share your experience with Saffire engine and its performance along with FE figures after your have driven it for a while.

Congrats again!
The performance is really good. Having said that, I am not revving the engine beyond 3k RPM anyways till the first service i.e. 1K-1.5k Kms. Initial FE that it is giving is 11.1-11.5, the claim made by the dealer is that it will be in range of 14+ after second service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Congratulations on your new car. Man you have a playground of space at the rear. Wish you a happy motoring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by challa View Post
Congrats on your new buy, Manza will surely make you smile with the amount of space it offers. Waiting for some stunning pics
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Congrats on the manza. The rear benchers will be more than happy with the space. Enojy many more miles with the Manza.

Do post the pictures of the car
Man I must admit, it has space, and a lots of it, which I used to miss in my Alto. Its one car that doesnt make me complain about leg/headroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
Congrats For the Mandy. VFM is one of the strongest forte of the Tata. When do we get to see the pics??
Thanks Utopian. Pics are in the following post.