Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 31st July 2010, 21:34   #1
BHPian

Default White Xylo E8 ABS - Having The time Of My Life With Some Happy Legs ;-)

THE BACKGROUND-:

It was in around Feb-march 2009 that me and my dad(only) decided that we needed to give rest to the leading ladies of our house namely, the Suzuki Baleno , Maruti Suzuki Esteem , and Maruti 800.

The ‘rest’ was actually only for the baleno, with 1,22,000 on the odo and the suspension at the back started to give weird noises (as if a child is banging ladles inside the boot irregularly) we decided that she is the grandma and not the young one anymore!

Now since we are family of six and being really Maruti loyal( all previous owned also maruti) we decided that we would be going for the SX4, as it was way better than the ‘grandma’ and was from maruti, but some negative reviews and test drives on some pooped pieces full of niggles and rattles made us apprehensive of this manly woman.

BULIDING UP OF THE MUV STORY
It then came to our mind that since
a)we were ready to flex our budget further
b) we are six and any sedan would not allow us to cramp more than five at a time , so why not buy a vehicle which is a full man( read can seat more… sometimes I do get a lot cheesy!..)

There came the main contenders the Scorpio , innova and the not so glamoured at that time.. the xylo

I was in for Scorpio, dad for the innova

I was in for man, dad for corporate

I was in for a robust Mahindra, dad for a boring Toyota

I was in for a aggressive front, dad for a sharp eyed lady
The list continued proportionally along with the no. of TD’s
There came the rescuer... THE MAHINDRA XYLO.
With the jingling ads in which ladies sing “ Have the time of your life”, the xylo did get itself noticed amongst all our family members. Every time the ad was aired it made me and my dad share a secret short smile.

Then came the day when we TD the xylo. The sales executive was quite courteous to arrange a test drive even when we arrived at their closing time and most of the staff had left. It was a java brown E8 and read 4500 on the odo.
The car did impress me a lot , although xylo is not the instant stunner but the looks do start growing on you and I started to like the angry stance at the front with the best of creature comforts for the insiders. I took the intiative of TDing the beast first with my dad along with me. I cranked it up twice.. it did not start and we shared strange glances. The sales person said politely “Saar, thoda lamba start do na ..yeh toh diesel engine hai”
And the lamba start finally started the Meagle!...yipee..! for the first time a 2500cc engine at my discretion . I put the eagle into reverse and the miniature xylo on the RVM lighted up … the sales executive started again. Blah blah blah.

The whole experience was ok as because of some reason the a/c did not work and that made my dad against it.

Then came the second contender –
The innova
Overall the car is perfect and we could stretch our budget for the V model but still I found it somehow boring , what all you get is good plastic, a bit more refined motor and for that we have stretch at least 2.5 lakhs. My dad liked innova more than the xylo, just because of its more corporate looks and better feel of the plastics.
…. Some problem in dads business meant we had to dropout our plan of the car ,It was postponed at least until the next year.

The time passed with everyday scavenging news and pics for xylo ,and the TD’s, I did around 4 of them.
It was in september that I came to know about this forum and got to read Vinay Rathore’s thread , I closely followed it as guest getting most of the reviews positive . After two months of silent reading I decided to join the forum in November and there I found Rocky’s thread which was the most helpful one for deciding upon the beast,
I kept communicating with him about any problems he face , mileage and any other issues , but all he said was positive.

The whole year I had been a like a parasite on my dad’s brain ,whenever he would come from office I would show him some more xylo news pics and reviews, and yes it did play its role, my dad had started to ‘grow’ over the looks of xylo.

It was in February that we decided the booking date of the beast to be near the end of the FY. Then started a more extensive search for the xylo, and we got to know that Airbags were being introduced.

Date - March 2nd ,2010
Place- Shiva Automobiles
He was the same dealer who had become the victim of my repeated TD’s . the guy this time was not there and a more politer one was the substitution, further discussions revealed that the silver colour was not available in the xylo ( all of our family members were comfortable with the silver only).
This was a total turn off , I felt like shaking A.Mahindra to his wits for not introducing the silver colur in the top model, My dad said either it’s the silver or the innnova.
Then again began searching for more pics of the white xylo( apart from the ones by rocky) it was the only second color with which we were disjointly comfortable .

Finally we decided for the white xylo with ABS and AIRBAGS. and quoted on road of around 9 ,18,000(not sure though)
We also decided to check with the other dealers of our city so that we can get a competitive price

Then came Bhasin Motors, and Koncept motors.
What we now decided now was that we wanted ou new baby before the ending of fiscal for some specific reasons you all know!
We contacted the bhasin motors on phone.
The conv follows.

Me: Hello Bhasin motors?
SE: yes sir this is bhasin motors and you are speaking to Mumtaz Khatoon
Me : (for the next few seconds I wondered what name that was) ok miss mumtaz I am looking for the xylo
MK: Yes sir we have the xylo available with us which colour and trim would you like?
ME: White Xylo E8 ABS AIBAGS
MK: Ohk sir just hold for a min…. few seconds later …YES sir we have the e8 white available.
I asked her to quote me a proforma invoice and what all goodies she could give me ..few more conversations revealed a price of 9,18,000(not sure) and no goodies.
With the proforma invoice we applied for a loan at PNB and got a waiting time of 3-4 days.
This followed up until it was near the delivery day.. We went to the nbank and got the shock of it getting delayed for some days on a/c of the the Bank manager not available.
I called up miss khatoon on the other side to learn that they will not be able to deliver the car before 31st March..Woahh!! Certainly it was the shock of my life and not the Time!!
Left everything with Miss Khatoon and decided to look for another dealer.

Koncept Automobiles,Noida
Date- 20th March,2010
Rahul Tyagi- Hello sir ,how can I help you?
Me- I Want Xylo E8 ABS AIRBAGS DIAMOND WHITE before 31st March 2010.
RT- Sir I cannot provide Airbags before 31st but you can have abs before that
Me and Dad(Together )- DONE!!
That day came back finally happy after an another round of TD
The next 9 days meant regular phone calls at the dealership to check proper delivery of the beast! On 29th July RT called me to conform the arrival of my baby in delhi
30th was the inspection day, Even though I had seen so many white xylo’s in photos and on road but that chill in the bones feeling when you see your own vehicle for the first time was quite evident which followed by a small arti by me my mom and my dad in the car itself while others sheepishly looked inside as to what we were saying.
That night we discussed on all the accessories that we would put and what all we would get from the dealer, discussion came to end after earmarking 1st as the delivery date.
After two Sleepless nights full of discussions only about one thing XYLO came the delivery day or in short the D-DAY!!

The Delivery Experience

We reached the dealership sharp at 11am sharp as promised (no specific reasons just wanted to have my car in broad daylight and a time when most of the staff was available.
I straight ran to the delivery bay expecting my baby readied for delivery just to find a Mahindra aqua being received by someone , I immediately called up my executive to know that the car was ready and only the seat covers are being installed as they could not come last night due to some specific unknon reason.
Sigh! My mom and dad went towards the customer lounge and me towards my car.
I don’t know if it happens with everyone or not but when you see some hooligans all loaded inside your car and chatting even though they are putting up the seat covers you feel like lining all them in front of you and driving your new car over them!
It was at around 1230 that they finally finished with seats to discover that the armrest they were trying to install were of the size of the scorpio .
I was utterly disgusted.
Then we started to wait for the seat covers to arrive from the seatcover dealer while my dad and my mom chatted with the VP as he was known to us. He is such a nice man that it was him that made my dad convince towards the xylo also ensured a smooth delivery,
Finally at 4 pm It was that the car was ready and we could take her..er HIM home !
A local pundit came and applied Roli on the car even after my disapproval as one of our team bhpians had bad experience with it, this followed by breaking the coconut in front of the car and Finals of all finally Keys handover.
The Vice President was too courteous to hand over the keys to us himself. It was one of the best dealership experiences! They also provided us with 10 liters of diesel
I again cranked the engine and woahhh!!! I have my own Xylo, drove out of the dealership while everyone was clapping .

That’s it for now… will follow more
don_carmaster is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2010, 21:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_carmaster
although xylo is not the instant stunner but the looks do start growing on you
Very true, I strongly agree to this; but then, this is applicable only for E4 or E8 variants, others are still ugly to my eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_carmaster
Xylo E8 ABS AIRBAGS DIAMOND WHITE
IMO, that's equally beautiful to silver. Good choice there.

Nice narration & congratulations for owning a Xylo. Keep this thread alive by posting your ownership & service experience.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2010, 21:56   #3
BHPian

Some pics from the D-DAY!!
Attached Thumbnails
White Xylo E8 ABS - Having The time Of My Life With Some Happy Legs ;-)-02042010002.jpg  

White Xylo E8 ABS - Having The time Of My Life With Some Happy Legs ;-)-02042010003.jpg  

White Xylo E8 ABS - Having The time Of My Life With Some Happy Legs ;-)-02042010004.jpg  

don_carmaster is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2010, 22:07   #4
BHPian

Congrats and enjoy the experience (or should I say 'continue' enjoying the experience). I liked the bull guard that you have (pic #3).
Just a quick question on pic #2 - what's the triangular thingy on the rear hatch near the handle?
mmxylorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2010, 22:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the VFM xylo! Spacious and comfortable at a great price.

A pic for you to enjoy the celebration.
Attached Thumbnails
White Xylo E8 ABS - Having The time Of My Life With Some Happy Legs ;-)-untitled1.jpg  

sidindica is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2010, 22:42   #6
BHPian

stunning white elephant! enjoy your drive and drive him safe!! wish you clock a million mile with the beast!
MutantX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2010, 00:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 6th August 2010 at 10:23.
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 1st August 2010, 15:07   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Very true, I strongly agree to this; but then, this is applicable only for E4 or E8 variants, others are still ugly to my eyes.

IMO, that's equally beautiful to silver. Good choice there.

Nice narration & congratulations for owning a Xylo. Keep this thread alive by posting your ownership & service experience.
Thank you , will sure gonna keep this up! many xylo threads are dead now. their starters dont reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
Congrats and enjoy the experience (or should I say 'continue' enjoying the experience). I liked the bull guard that you have (pic #3).
Just a quick question on pic #2 - what's the triangular thingy on the rear hatch near the handle?
That is the the door protector which you put it on door edges to save from any scratches , there was a set of 4 but i decided to put one on the boot door too so bought another set!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Congrats on the VFM xylo! Spacious and comfortable at a great price.

A pic for you to enjoy the celebration.
Thanks! Yeah they are some happy legs!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
stunning white elephant! enjoy your drive and drive him safe!! wish you clock a million mile with the beast!
Hope your wish comes true!! Anyways thanks!

Quote:
BTW you have good narrating skills. I could literally feel in your shoes at some places.
Thank you My pleasure !

Last edited by GTO : 6th August 2010 at 10:23. Reason: Quoted post being deleted
don_carmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2010, 22:51   #9
BHPian

Congrats on your baby don carmaster. Hope you enjoy your baby as much as i am enjoying mine. By the way nice narration.Pour in the pics man the pics don't do justice to your narration skills.

Last edited by rocky080 : 1st August 2010 at 22:52.
rocky080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2010, 23:56   #10
BHPian

The Driving Experience

After exiting the showroom, a bit conscious-ized by the claps I straight stalled my car on the side of the road , and started to adjust my car seat,as at the *** the moment you sit in the car they start to clap and you have to leave that very moment. Making my legs happy in the car I started to move again

Even after ‘n’ number of test drives and the roughest presses on the pedals of the display cars, you somehow tend to drive your car so carefully hoping to wrongly press the clutch or the accelator and obviously if one upgrades from a low lying baleno to the tall boy xylo first drive is full of extra moderations from the fellow passengers!

After reaching home the next major work was to find a parking slot , as said earlier everything has to be dot perfect for the new car!! Found one after adjusting all the other three cars

The next part was to offer sweets to all of the people in the colony!!
Crap.. Why am I writing all this in the driving Experience??
Coming back to the heading, Xylo sure has road presence , When you are inside its cockpit,yes the cockpit and not cabin(ignoring the fact that caockpits don’t have relatively cheaper plastics!) the whole world seems at your mercy and the driver feels to be the king of the road, this kind of feeling I have never got even in the scorpio(its dashboard puts me off , somehow I feel that one would touch the music system if we put the third gear panickly)

Every-day or more precisely every-night me my dad and my mom would take out the beast for a spin to admire and talk about something from its long list of features, vanity mirror best liked by my mom.
Respected all the limits by not letting the small tachometer needle to run past the 2000 mark which it always wanted us to do it!!...Bah the nasty little prick!

When youre inside the MUV you feel really really safe and even the door thud has a pretty decent sound! Many people who call it as the body roll I would like to define it more as the Volvo effect. Its kind of similar –the floating.
When you break hard it feels as if the whole cabin pulls forward and systematically backwards
Got my first thankful at 103km(precisely remember this!) was around 1900 bucks as we had out the xtra mile diesel, later discussions on teambhp and the officials at concept concluded that xylo needs normal diesel so made sure the second thankful eagle drank the normal diesel.

Before the run in to end had only one small outstation trip-

Delhi To Agra-250km and returned an average of 13 A/c on and full load and not to forget the continuous admiration from the fellow passengers where one of them owned baleno and ohc and the other a captive
The only thing which puts me off is the engine noise becoming evident after 2900 rpm below 2400 you don’t even get to know if the engine running with 2 blower setting, and some soft music!!!!.

More to follow..

Last edited by don_carmaster : 6th October 2010 at 23:57.
Old 7th October 2010, 13:33   #11
BHPian

Nice review and wishing you a happy ownership.

Coming from an owner of low slung cars, I expected a scathing review on its driving dynamics, but pleased to see that you've accepted the limitations of the MUV and is driving accordingly and appreciating the vehicle for what it is. Cheers!!
krish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 13:53   #12
BHPian

@Don - Nice writeup and good choice infact.

Hey T-bhp-ian Guru's - Tell me this, Is there a restriction that one should NOT install bull bar at front to avoid air bag sensor not/mal function?
Reisender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2010, 09:23   #13
BHPian

THE FIRST SERVICE

It was at 4700 that we decided to have premature service (if km’s considered) as we were planning a trip outside again to Punjab.

Place –Koncept Automobiles
I park my car on the roadside to grab the attention of some freak excutive.

Namaste sir- hello

Sir Service?- haa….err….haan
(I had talked with my sales executive as I was yet to receive my insurance from him so thought that would try and get the best service executive from him as he was quite a good man.)

The freak executive took 4 rounds of my baby and handed me an estimate of around 4200!!
I look at the estimate and got myself freaked!!

(4200 for the first service) x3 I thought in my mind while looking at the ‘contents ‘ of the so called estimate which I felt like ripping apart.!..It contained all the costly useless additives for which they would be paid an incentive
Meanwhile service exective started asking for the booklet which I realized I had mistakenly left at home….

Service executive- saar sham ko jab gaadi loge to de dena.!
I decide not to get it done from him- main aaj nai kal karaunga.
I straight went to the VP , Mr. Patnaik ,(he is a very kind hearted soul) and narrated the whole fleecing episode to him. He made us comfortable, called up a good executive and gave him instructions that no additives should be added.
That brought down the bill to 1600.

Finally with a relaxed head and an empty stomach I had my baby for the first service and went to nearest restraunt to have lunch
At 6pm the executive called up and confirmed that my beast was ready

6.15 Me and my dad were at the showroom, took delivery, paid the bill checked for all the fluids and parts that should be done in the first service satisfied I was about to leave when Mr.Patnaik came out of the gate as he was leaving for home, he saw me and came up to us , asked if I was satisfied and left in his scorpio!

More to follow!!!

Last edited by don_carmaster : 9th October 2010 at 09:24.
Old 6th February 2011, 19:07   #14
BANNED

Default Re: White Xylo E8 ABS - Having The time Of My Life With Some Happy Legs ;-)

hey don carmaster, long time you havent updated this thread. How's the beast?
plz update this thread asap!
DMehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2011, 19:21   #15
BHPian

Default Re: White Xylo E8 ABS - Having The time Of My Life With Some Happy Legs ;-)

Hi
Congratulations on your buy. I have to agree with don that many xylo threads are dead. I have not updated mine for a long time. Now after reading your thread i think i should nail myself to the chair and update mine. I own a xylo e8 and in the last one year i have crossed 15thousand kilometers. I am satisfied with the vehicle but not with the service mahindra provides. You have to ensure everything is done before you take out your vehicle from the service station. Though i did not yell i had to put my foot down a few times to get the things done properly. Cheers mate.
drrajasaravanan is offline   Reply With Quote