Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2011, 02:19   #211
Senior - BHPian
 
shuvc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 2,895
Thanked: 283 Times
Default Re: 4th service (15k kms/~10 months)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
[*]Front seat (I think) rattle on certain roads. Occurs when it's just me in the car.
Looks like I hear this too at times. My hunch is that it could be the passenger seat adjuster rod.

From when are Civics coming with factory filled synth oil?
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2011, 09:36   #212
dot
Senior - BHPian
 
dot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ban Chang
Posts: 1,681
Thanked: 714 Times
Default Re: 4th service (15k kms/~10 months)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Looks like I hear this too at times. My hunch is that it could be the passenger seat adjuster rod.

From when are Civics coming with factory filled synth oil?
One can try WD 40 spray. My Ikon's driver seat used to rattle a lot. A nice supple spray of WD 40 did the job and the noise never reappeared henceforth. Civic's the front arm rest hinge was rattling. A dash of WD 40 spray helped. Later HASS folks tightened the screws of that hinge during the service.
dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2011, 12:57   #213
Senior - BHPian
 
spadix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,018
Thanked: 185 Times
Default Re: The march of the Black Queen (my new Honda Civic 1.8V in Black)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Looks like I hear this too at times. My hunch is that it could be the passenger seat adjuster rod.
That could be it. I've been thinking of dozens of other components but not this. Thanks for the pointer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
From when are Civics coming with factory filled synth oil?
That's what the SA who handled BQ's 3rd service said. He's been the best/most knowledgeable of the 4 SAs I've interacted with, which is probably why I'm trusting his word on it. I've also heard this from others on the forums.

Do you know what ShuvCivic came filled with? Our cars are just a couple of months or so apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
One can try WD 40 spray. My Ikon's driver seat used to rattle a lot. A nice supple spray of WD 40 did the job and the noise never reappeared henceforth. Civic's the front arm rest hinge was rattling. A dash of WD 40 spray helped. Later HASS folks tightened the screws of that hinge during the service.
This is interesting. I never thought WD40 could cure rattles. I always thought it was manna for squeaks and creaks only.

Interestingly, the entire armrest assembly (not the hinges of the lid) was one of the things tightened by the mobile service crew after the 3rd service, when we were all still in the process of fixing that annoying rattle at the rear (the one which we thought was the parcel tray but turned out to be the roof panel). It has come loose again though. No rattles, but the armrest assembly gives a little when pressure is applied, so there is play in the screws once again. I haven't had an issue with the lid hinges yet, but I'll just get them tightened proactively as I use the lid a lot.

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2011, 12:54   #214
Senior - BHPian
 
spadix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,018
Thanked: 185 Times
Default Insurance renewal

As BQ gets ever closer to her 1st birthday, I received a call from the dealer yesterday offering to renew insurance under Honda Assure (with the partner continuing to remain Bajaj Allianz, of who I have a good opinion of in general).

The quote was around INR 25435 if I remember correctly.

Looking at the numbers quoted by Shuvc and alto99 in Shuvc's thread (ShuvCivic - Tafeta White VM/T) the quote seems reasonable considering the slightly higher ex-showroom price in Hyderabad.

I think I can shave a few hundreds off the premium by doing the following things -
* showing AASI membership (should be INR 500 off)
* getting rid of PA cover for driver (it's a self-driven vehicle) unless it means cover is lost when wife drives, for example
* reducing PA cover for number of passengers (currently 5) to 2 or 3 since it's mostly only I or wife and I in the car

I'll get independent quotes from others just to get a feel of things, but I think I'll end up going with the dealer for the list of benefits as pointed out in this particular post (ShuvCivic - Tafeta White VM/T).

I have no intention of going for a zero-dep. top-up now. I'll opt for that maybe for the 3rd year and beyond.

What do you all say?

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2011, 13:46   #215
Senior - BHPian
 
rr_zen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chennai, India
Posts: 1,711
Thanked: 262 Times
Default Re: Insurance renewal

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
As BQ gets ever closer to her 1st birthday, I received a call from the dealer yesterday offering to renew insurance under Honda Assure (with the partner continuing to remain Bajaj Allianz, of who I have a good opinion of in general).

The quote was around INR 25435 if I remember correctly.

Looking at the numbers quoted by Shuvc and alto99 in Shuvc's thread (ShuvCivic - Tafeta White VM/T) the quote seems reasonable considering the slightly higher ex-showroom price in Hyderabad.

I think I can shave a few hundreds off the premium by doing the following things -
* showing AASI membership (should be INR 500 off)
* getting rid of PA cover for driver (it's a self-driven vehicle) unless it means cover is lost when wife drives, for example
* reducing PA cover for number of passengers (currently 5) to 2 or 3 since it's mostly only I or wife and I in the car

I'll get independent quotes from others just to get a feel of things, but I think I'll end up going with the dealer for the list of benefits as pointed out in this particular post (ShuvCivic - Tafeta White VM/T).

I have no intention of going for a zero-dep. top-up now. I'll opt for that maybe for the 3rd year and beyond.

What do you all say?

Regards,
spadix
Does the one quoted offer bumper to bumper cover with nil depreciation ?I suggest you take a quote from TATA AIG as well on their b2b cover. I renewed mine two months ago and the amount I paid for around 24k INR for b2b plus zero depreciation. I was told that in the event of any claim the max I would need to shell out is 1K INR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
Front seat (I think) rattle on certain roads. Occurs when it's just me in the car.
My two cents on this - While travelling alone I have noticed the front passenger seat belt hitting against the side of the seat which is moulded plastic. The sound could be because of that as well. Try buckling in passenger the seat belt and see if the sound persists.
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2011, 15:43   #216
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,728
Thanked: 7,893 Times
Default Re: The march of the Black Queen (my new Honda Civic 1.8V in Black)

Prashant, What's the IDV value that's being insured during the renewal? usually, its 15% depreciation during the first year.

I too got a call yesterday for WA's insurance renewal and got an approximate quote of 18K

I told the lady. I still have another 1.5months to go before renewal. So asked her to drop me an email with quotes from minimum 3 insurers and clearly outline the full details along with clubbed offers ( usually is there in Tata AIG). She's supposed to drop me that email on Monday.

I told myself. There is a helluva lot of scope for negotation
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 15:44   #217
Senior - BHPian
 
spadix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,018
Thanked: 185 Times
Default Re: The march of the Black Queen (my new Honda Civic 1.8V in Black)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Does the one quoted offer bumper to bumper cover with nil depreciation ?I suggest you take a quote from TATA AIG as well on their b2b cover. I renewed mine two months ago and the amount I paid for around 24k INR for b2b plus zero depreciation. I was told that in the event of any claim the max I would need to shell out is 1K INR.
What exactly is this bumper-to-bumper cover? I understand the zero depreciation policies but this is the first time I've heard of b2b cover. I need to research this. Thanks for introducing the term to me, rr_zen!

I'm familiar with the rest of the terms of AIG's policy, courtesy of the informative series of posts on Shuvc's thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
My two cents on this - While travelling alone I have noticed the front passenger seat belt hitting against the side of the seat which is moulded plastic. The sound could be because of that as well. Try buckling in passenger the seat belt and see if the sound persists.
Again, thanks for pointing this out. I've got this checked already. In fact, during the investigations into what I thought was the rear parcel tray rattle, each and every mechanic I spoke to was referring to the seat belt assembly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Prashant, What's the IDV value that's being insured during the renewal? usually, its 15% depreciation during the first year.
Yes, I think it should be @85% now. The IDV will be 1137980 if it's @85% (1071040 if @80%).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I too got a call yesterday for WA's insurance renewal and got an approximate quote of 18K
I think WA's IDV is considerably lower than BQ's. IIRC there was a difference of nearly 2 lac INR in the ex-showroom price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I told the lady. I still have another 1.5months to go before renewal. So asked her to drop me an email with quotes from minimum 3 insurers and clearly outline the full details along with clubbed offers ( usually is there in Tata AIG). She's supposed to drop me that email on Monday.

I told myself. There is a helluva lot of scope for negotation
There definitely is scope for negotiation and this is also exactly what I told the lady who called me up - saying there's more than a month to go.

I think I should be able to get a "good" policy for an 18-20k premium. The only question is whether I'll have the intangible benefits Honda Assure offers. These are things only dealer-provided insurance schemes have and I may not find something comparable in the open market. I haven't really thought of how valuable they might be. Let's see.

I'll follow WA's thread for the results of your research into this area.

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 15:49   #218
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,728
Thanked: 7,893 Times
Default Re: The march of the Black Queen (my new Honda Civic 1.8V in Black)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
I'll follow WA's thread for the results of your research into this area.
I already posted the quotes that I received for WA on my thread. Do check it out and let me know your thoughts.

Pretty varying figures
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 16:11   #219
Senior - BHPian
 
spadix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,018
Thanked: 185 Times
Default Re: The march of the Black Queen (my new Honda Civic 1.8V in Black)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I already posted the quotes that I received for WA on my thread. Do check it out and let me know your thoughts.

Pretty varying figures
Just saw the figures and will comment on your thread, but it seems like I can breach the 20k barrier for BQ with a little effort .

On "varying", consider this.

I got Carwale.com to give me an online quote for BQ. The IDV was 1094000 per their proprietary calculations. (By the way, this IDV is *far* less than the valuation as per their used car price evaluation engine.)

Now for the shocker.

The renewal premium was quoted as a mind-numbing 43xxx INR. Yes - forty-three big ones and change.

I wonder what the Carwale insurance experts are smoking. Whatever it is I'd like to stay away from it.

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 17:14   #220
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 63
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Insurance renewal

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
I have no intention of going for a zero-dep. top-up now. I'll opt for that maybe for the 3rd year and beyond.
Zero-Dep insurance is only available for the first three years in India currently. Bajaj Allianz too, has this. Please check it out.

What exactly does Honda Assure offer?
jk007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 17:44   #221
Senior - BHPian
 
spadix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,018
Thanked: 185 Times
Default Re: Insurance renewal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk007 View Post
Zero-Dep insurance is only available for the first three years in India currently.
I see. I didn't know that, although coming to think of it, I vaguely recollect reading something to this effect elsewhere on the forum.

It does make sense as far as the insurer is concerned. Zero-dep. from years 4 onward would mean a huge hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk007 View Post
What exactly does Honda Assure offer?
Quoting from Shuvc's post on his thread (links to both in an earlier post of mine in this thread) -

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Benefits of Honda Assure:
  1. Instant Policy issuance from Dealership
  2. Dealership takes care of all Policy Issuance, NCB transfer, Endorsement, Cancellation & Refund
  3. Claims will be settled in all Honda dealership in PAN India with Cashless facility
  4. Maximum TAT for survey is 4 Hrs.
  5. Self survey by Dealership in case of Windshield / ORVM damage up to Rs. 20000/-
  6. Consumables (Engine, Brake, Gear oils & Coolants) and all Fasteners (Metal & Plastic Nuts, Bolts, Screws, Rivets, Clamps etc.) are covered with 50% Depn.
  7. Parts like Headlight assembly, ECM, various sensors, Motors, Actuators, Radiator assembly, Wiring Harness are categorised as other parts where the depreciation as per the age of vehicle :
    • 0-6 Months Nil
    • 6Months - 1 Year 5%
    • 1 Year - 2 Years 10%
    • 2 Years - 3 Years 15%
    • 3 Years - 4 Years 25%
    • 4 Years - 5 Years 35%
    • 5 Years - 10 Years 40%
    • 10 Years & Above 50%
  8. Bumpers (Rear & Front) are Catagorised as Fiber and charged 30% Depreciation.
  9. Add on Cover (Nil Depreciation) is available till 5th Year

With Honda Assure in year 1-2, depreciation of some parts is 10%. Don't see the point of 0 depreciation cover this year. Although 0 depreciation probably covers more parts.
Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 17:46   #222
Senior - BHPian
 
rr_zen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chennai, India
Posts: 1,711
Thanked: 262 Times
Default Re: The march of the Black Queen (my new Honda Civic 1.8V in Black)

@spadix: I will PM you the quote I got for my Civic for the zero depreciation which will give you some idea as to what it offers. You can then make an informed decision.

@jk007: You are right. Zero depreciation can be availed only for the first three years of ownership. This is what I heard from TATA AIG as well.
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 17:50   #223
Senior - BHPian
 
spadix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,018
Thanked: 185 Times
Default Re: The march of the Black Queen (my new Honda Civic 1.8V in Black)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
@spadix: I will PM you the quote I got for my Civic for the zero depreciation which will give you some idea as to what it offers. You can then make an informed decision.
Thanks a ton, rr_zen! I'll look forward to your message. It would be very helpful.

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 20:51   #224
Senior - BHPian
 
shuvc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 2,895
Thanked: 283 Times
Default Re: Insurance renewal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk007 View Post
Zero-Dep insurance is only available for the first three years in India currently. Bajaj Allianz too, has this. Please check it out.

What exactly does Honda Assure offer?
As quoted by @Spadix, Honda Assure gives the option of getting zero-dep cover till the 5th year.

Additionally they apparently do not have any restriction on the number of zero dep claims you can make in a year. Their zero dep cover is quite high though. Adds almost 8K to the 2nd year renewal premium.

I was also told, that the IDV mentioned is paid out in full in case of a total loss. No deductions. Salvage is also not deducted from the payout. Meaning, I will not have to run around trying to sell the old parts.

@Spadix they have a range for IDV. I went for the lower IDV. Around 9.5L ish (ex-show was 13.16L IIRC). I took a call based on a rough calculation of how much I'll need to pay from my pocket, if I need to close the loan outstanding in case of a total loss, after factoring in the IDV payout. The lower IDV seemed fine. Premium for normal Honda Assure cover was a shade under 23K. Zero dep would have taken it over 30K.

Last edited by shuvc : 20th June 2011 at 20:55.
shuvc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2011, 13:36   #225
Senior - BHPian
 
spadix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,018
Thanked: 185 Times
Default Re: Insurance renewal

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
I was also told, that the IDV mentioned is paid out in full in case of a total loss. No deductions. Salvage is also not deducted from the payout. Meaning, I will not have to run around trying to sell the old parts.
This is one feature that is really appealing. I mean, this is the kind of stuff insurance is really *meant* for, other than just satisfying the legal/regulatory aspects (which by the way are limited to TP damage only).

By the way, in the course of my research I've realized that Tata-AIG and Royal Sundaram have left the others in the dust as far as the variety of add-on cover options is concerned. HDFC Ergo, Iffco Tokio and Bajaj Allianz don't even come close. I don't want to try ICICI Lombard. I'll just get some quotes from the govt. companies now and then decide.

The costliest add-on covers as expected are zero depreciation cover and return to invoice price. Sundaram goes one step further and even refunds road tax if you lose your car or it's damaged beyond repair! I'm loving the fruits of deregulation of the insurance industry already, and I think the future can only get better. Adding such covers easily takes the premium close to 30k for an IDV of 10.5 to 11.5 lac INR.

Claims-wise I've heard Bajaj Allianz and Tata-AIG are the most seamless and act with the most integrity.

It's time for some negotiation now.

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brand new ANHC or used Civic to keep for 10 years. Edit: Got a 2007 Honda Civic sumeethaldankar Sedans 117 29th May 2013 10:31
Honda City Vs Honda Civic E Vs Honda Civic V (pre-owned) drkunaldas Sedans 4 31st October 2010 18:07


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:59.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks