Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 12th August 2010, 22:36   #31

Please throw some light on what you mean by 0 dep insurance, and the top ups thereof.

Thanks for your response out here and on Shuvc's thread.

Loved your 500km summary.
And dude man, that's some intense love-meets-character stuff you got going out there.
I understand good amounts of it, but more so appreciate your candidness in saying it like you feel it, even if goes into the metaphysical space.
Hoping you guys find that connect with the Civic real fast.
1Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 12:09   #32
BHPian

While driving the civic or any other big car always make left/right external wing mirrors and the inside rear view mirror your best friends. You have to rely on them most of the times and it will be a good habit to constantly check these mirrors for knowing whats happening around. Also does civic V comes with parking sensors?? if not then get them as soon as possible.
Civic comes with speed sensitive sound volume. Have you tried it?? Its there on my Cruze but i find it annoying.
Regarding the driving position i always prefer the sporty stance and thus i prefer the lowest seat height possible in all my cars which gives overall sporty and cockpit feel. Initially it can bother you but once you get used to it you will simply detest driving with a raised driver's seat. Civic has wraparound cockpit interiors and it will further enhance that feeling.
And as far as the attachment with the car is concerned its really unfair to judge it right now. I'm sure that after couple of years you and your wife will feel that civic is the integral part of your respective lives. And it sure has a character!
ashish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 12:21   #33
Senior - BHPian

Straight-from-the-heart-review !

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
The engine note is a very pleasing, muted snarl. The second service (5000 km/3 months) can't come soon enough. I want to be able to hear that snarl on a more regular basis
I redlined right after I completed 1000kms !! It's been an addiction since, though not too many opportunities in the city.

Quote:
The horn seems to me to be adequate.
It's actually quite loud. It took me by surprise when I honked once with the windows open. It gets significantly muted if you have all the windows up.
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 15:23   #34
Senior - BHPian

One small observation that I picked up yesterday is that the clutch pedal has developed an ever-so-slight squeak when depressed. Hmm, squeaky clutch pedal in a 15 lac INR premium car within 2 weeks of delivery? Not kosher at all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Maverick View Post
Please throw some light on what you mean by 0 dep insurance, and the top ups thereof.
Under standard insurance, even in Year 1, items like the bumper and headlights and ORVMs are not 100% covered. In case of the Civic, I think the bumpers are covered for only 50% and headlamps and ORVMs for 70% or something like that. If you go for the 0 dep. scheme, then there's 100% coverage on the entire car.

Actually, 0-dep. is the wrong terminology. It should "0 loss coverage" or "100%-coverage".

Even with this "0-dep." top-up, IDV continues to fall year after year if you don't do anything about it. (Of course, you could set your own IDV and pay the appropriate premium if you feel like it.)

So technically depreciation in the sense of writing down of value every year is there, but within the year, you'll get 100% cover for whatever value is insured.

I hope that makes sense. Else I can make I small spreadsheet for you.

Quote:
Thanks for your response out here and on Shuvc's thread.
Anytime, man! I just hope I've not confused you further. If I have, then the purpose would've been defeated .

Quote:
Loved your 500km summary.
Hoping you guys find that connect with the Civic real fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22 View Post
And as far as the attachment with the car is concerned its really unfair to judge it right now. I'm sure that after couple of years you and your wife will feel that civic is the integral part of your respective lives. And it sure has a character!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Straight-from-the-heart-review !
Thanks a lot, guys! Just to be clear, I'm not blaming the car or anything, nor am I being judgemental. I just wrote down here the exact words I told my wife when she raised the 800 vs. Civic point. Besides, she's hardly driven this car (except one morning when I had to take a long official call) so I can totally relate to her PoV. She's waiting for us to get the number plate before she starts driving regularly.

Quote:
While driving the civic or any other big car always make left/right external wing mirrors and the inside rear view mirror your best friends. You have to rely on them most of the times and it will be a good habit to constantly check these mirrors for knowing whats happening around. Also does civic V comes with parking sensors?? if not then get them as soon as possible.
Good advice, Ashish! The mirrors are a boon. I got used to the left ORVM while driving Dad's Indigo and now I'm very comfortable using it (the 800 didn't have one).

The reverse parking sensor is there - the simple beeping variety with no other bells and whistles, and it's more than adequate for my needs right now.

By the way, Ashish, do you have the old-style fog lamps or the new round ones on your Civic? Were you able to find an appreciable difference between the two (assuming you've had the opportunity to drive both types extensively at night)?

Quote:
Civic comes with speed sensitive sound volume. Have you tried it?? Its there on my Cruze but i find it annoying.
It's there. I haven't tested it for a variety of reasons -

1. Running-in means no high speeds
2. I mostly listen to stuff off my old iPod, which doesn't work with the OEM ICE
3. Even there I listen mostly to podcasts and while I have those on the iPhone as well (which works with the OEM ICE), the ICE can't handle podcasts, surprisingly

So I mostly drive with the earphones on. I guess people outside must be having a nice laugh seeing me do that .

Quote:
Regarding the driving position i always prefer the sporty stance and thus i prefer the lowest seat height possible in all my cars which gives overall sporty and cockpit feel. Initially it can bother you but once you get used to it you will simply detest driving with a raised driver's seat. Civic has wraparound cockpit interiors and it will further enhance that feeling.
Very true. I just need one relaxed weekend to work this teeny little wrinkle off.

Quote:
I redlined right after I completed 1000kms !! It's been an addiction since, though not too many opportunities in the city.
I'm unable to hold myself back. After doing 500 I'm being just a little bit more enthusiastic. I'm still limiting myself to 3k, but I'm accelerating a little bit harder than before (mostly due to traffic conditions around, actually, but sometimes just for fun!).

You're right. Our cities don't need/want/deserve a redlining Civic in any gear, even the 1st.

Quote:
It's actually quite loud. It took me by surprise when I honked once with the windows open. It gets significantly muted if you have all the windows up.
That's good to know. As I said, the cabin's sound insulation is just fantastic. However, our fellow citizens' sensory perception insulation is just fantastic-er. Had a torrid time with a few pedestrians, tempo fellows and one Indigo CS on my way to work today in this respect.

It's never a problem when they see the vehicle, as I said. So U-turns in traffic aren't a problem at all, unless I'm on the highway and it's trucks and buses that I'm talking about. People stop/slow down/give way much more easily than when I was in the 800 or even the Indigo. Or maybe they see the temp. reg. plate and think I'm a newbie and therefore just give me a wide berth. I'll have to wait until I get my number plates to have the final word on this!

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 18:05   #35
BHPian

spadix i dont have civic i own cruze :-P
However i know quite a bit about it because there are couple of civics in family. I have driven both the types and as you said night illumination is a joke. Accord has excellent illumination and i wish i had that kind of illumination in all my cars.
Also let me caution you strictly on your habit of using earphones while driving. Its completely unsafe and can seriously affect the reflexes while driving.
How about burning your music on CDs.
ashish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 21:32   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
spadix i dont have civic i own cruze :-P
Sorry, Ashish! I realized that immediately after I posted when I saw your signature. I somehow thought you owned one. Never mind, though.

Quote:
However i know quite a bit about it because there are couple of civics in family. I have driven both the types and as you said night illumination is a joke. Accord has excellent illumination and i wish i had that kind of illumination in all my cars.
And about the difference between the trapezoidal and round fog lamps in particular?

Quote:
Also let me caution you strictly on your habit of using earphones while driving. Its completely unsafe and can seriously affect the reflexes while driving.
I hear you. Thanks for alerting me to it. I can say nothing has happened so far but that's never an indicator of the future.

Instead of CDs, what I plan to do is to load the stuff onto a cheap 2-4 GB flash-based music player and keep recycling the contents on that player. The ICE reads my wife's 1 GB Transcend player absolutely fine.

The other option is this (I have the 4th generation click-wheel monochrome model). However, I need to check first if it can play podcasts. There's no point spending on this setup otherwise.

Regards,
spadix
Old 14th August 2010, 00:05   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Instead of CDs, what I plan to do is to load the stuff onto a cheap 2-4 GB flash-based music player and keep recycling the contents on that player. The ICE reads my wife's 1 GB Transcend player absolutely fine.
I use an old 80GB portable HDD that I had. Reads it fine. Try getting a 80GB or a 160GB drive. You can have all your music in the car.
Old 14th August 2010, 12:53   #38
Senior - BHPian

For increasing civic ride height and preventing bottoming out:

was researching this subject this morning, won't replacing stock springs with something more robust from accord or aftermarket experts like bilstein help in increasing ride height ? Guess one can gain like 2-3 inches in ride height plus stiffer springs won't allow bottoming-out as easily. Ride quality may suffer though.
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 11:22   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I use an old 80GB portable HDD that I had. Reads it fine. Try getting a 80GB or a 160GB drive. You can have all your music in the car.
That's true. I already have a 40 GB mobile HDD which is housed in a card-reader-cum-HDD-casing enclosure. 40 GB is the size of my old iPod anyway, so that should be enough. That can be used, in a pinch.

But I think I'll just buy a 160 GB device at some point (either an HDD for ultimate flexibility and long-lasting compatibility even with other after-market HUs, or a new classic iPod once my current one gives up the ghost). Not right now, though. I broke the bank to buy the car .

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
won't replacing stock springs with something more robust from accord or aftermarket experts like bilstein help in increasing ride height ? Guess one can gain like 2-3 inches in ride height plus stiffer springs won't allow bottoming-out as easily. Ride quality may suffer though.
There are two reasons why I won't do that right now. In no particular order of importance -
  1. Totally broke now, as mentioned above. Loose funds are meant purely for petrol .
  2. Don't want to mess up the warranty. But, will it be too late when the warranty expires (as in, the car would've undergone significant damage)? I don't think so. I'm being extra careful around humps, ditches and potholes and any scrapes that I get now are really really mild ones (unavoidable even at 2-3 kmph) and happen only when there's more than me in the car.

It's not ideal. I'll check with the dealer and find out what can be done about this.

Honda may have fixed the GC issue but the monsoons and AP government's poor management of roads (despite all the road tax they're collecting) are putting paid to Honda's efforts, big time.

Regards,
spadix
Old 16th August 2010, 00:30   #40
Senior - BHPian

@spadix - congrats on the car! Civic in black - nothing, but elegant.

Quote:
Don't want to mess up the warranty. But, will it be too late when the warranty expires (as in, the car would've undergone significant damage)? I don't think so. I'm being extra careful around humps, ditches and potholes and any scrapes that I get now are really really mild ones (unavoidable even at 2-3 kmph) and happen only when there's more than me in the car.
Why not upsize the tyre one level up i.e. 205/65? that will get you extra 6 mm of GC which could be deal breaker with those speed breakers and potholes.
iTNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 23:24   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
@spadix - congrats on the car! Civic in black - nothing, but elegant.
Thank you, iTNerd!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Why not upsize the tyre one level up i.e. 205/65? that will get you extra 6 mm of GC which could be deal breaker with those speed breakers and potholes.
This upgrade is on the cards. In any case the default Goodyears are too noisy! Will I have to change the rims to fit 205-width rubber? I remember reading somewhere that a rim upgrade may not be needed for a 10mm width increase.

Truth be told, I don't face GC-related trouble (unless on the absolute worst possible conditions) when it's either only me or only wife and me in the car.

I'll have to work out the economics of the tyre upgrade.

I'll take this opportunity to post some pictures with some story/context -

Due to the heavy rains over the weekend, there was a huge lake outside my apartment (I rode back my bike through waist+-deep water after a local shopping outing on Sunday evening and it worsened overnight). So the car had two calendar days of complete rest - including the first full day of rest after delivery. Obviously I didn't feel good about that at all .

I decided to take a different route today evening to avoid a railway underpass which I feared would have a pool. This alternate route has a manned railway crossing (same line). While I waited for the train to pass, I realized that today was the first time I really paid attention to the interior lighting. All the switches are back-lit! All it needs is for the headlights to be on (and ICE and climate control too for the whole shebang). I wonder why I didn't notice this at all before!

The march of the Black Queen (my new Honda Civic 1.8V in Black)-dsc_9224.jpg

All systems go! The background colour in the ICE and climate control information displays is obviously that cool blue. I forgot dialling down the exposure while taking the pictures and couldn't recapture the glory of that blue in post (despite shooting in RAW). Lesson learnt.

The march of the Black Queen (my new Honda Civic 1.8V in Black)-dsc_9229.jpg

Look ma, the cruise control buttons are back-lit too!

That's it for now. My biggest concern is that after that first week, progress on the odo is slow. Combination of weather (roads, really), work and other personal commitments during August weekends are to blame.

Regards,
spadix
Old 18th August 2010, 15:12   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So Ashish, following your advice I've created a playlist containing the podcasts and now use the iPhone over the ICE! The system can't understand podcasts but it can understand playlists, so problem solved .

Another neat thing I noticed yesterday was that the ICE just pipes over the audio over the phone. If I get a call, the phone automatically pauses the music and switches to the call, so that's what the ICE does too over the USB input. Very cool!

Now if only I can get some sort of steering-mounted control that allows me to answer the call (flick of a switch or button) and picks up my voice and pipes it into the phone, that'll be the day. The problem is that the AUX cable is inside the front arm rest, so the phone stays inside and I close the lid on the rest. Otherwise I could've just managed by hooking up the phone using some sort of the holder to the dash, and keep it within "speaking distance".

Regards,
spadix
Old 19th August 2010, 01:40   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I broke the bank to buy the car
That makes two of us

Quote:
Will I have to change the rims to fit 205-width rubber?
No need to change rims. I'm running 205/60/15s.
Old 19th August 2010, 13:11   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That makes two of us
That makes the 3 of us

Quote:
This upgrade is on the cards. In any case the default Goodyears are too noisy! Will I have to change the rims to fit 205-width rubber? I remember reading somewhere that a rim upgrade may not be needed for a 10mm width increase.

Truth be told, I don't face GC-related trouble (unless on the absolute worst possible conditions) when it's either only me or only wife and me in the car.

I'll have to work out the economics of the tyre upgrade.

I'll take this opportunity to post some pictures with some story/context -
Prashant, i am totally happy to see that Civic also comes with all switches back-lit. It indeed looks absolutely beautiful and your interior pictures have come out really well.

I plan to use a tripod one of these days to take some beautiful interior pictures of my White Annihilator.

Tyre upgrade is of utmost important. In any case, most manafacturers cut cost by installing cheap tyres on such expensive cars. I too recommend that like me you go ahead and change your tyres.

If you plan to decide on 205/60/16 ( not sure if they are right size for your BQ). If they are, then I can get you a super duper deal on CPC2's

Last edited by GTO : 23rd August 2010 at 11:13. Reason: No more than 2 smilies please
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2010, 16:06   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I plan to use a tripod one of these days to take some beautiful interior pictures of my White Annihilator.
Those pictures above are 1/2 to 1/4 second exposures. Don't really need a tripod at that shutter speed with 24mm lens (any wider and you can't really cover the dash from the driver's seat at least).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
If you plan to decide on 205/60/16 ( not sure if they are right size for your BQ). If they are, then I can get you a super duper deal on CPC2's
BQ runs 15" rims, so the correct upsize would be either 205/60 or 205/65 R15s.

I don't think I have the dough to upgrade the rims to R16s right now.

By the way BQ got her first set of scratches - just observed them 10-15 minutes back. For the last 2 days BQ has been taking rest at home because of knee-waist (and more, sometimes) deep water just outside the house and now also on NH9. So this is surely the handiwork of someone in the building. It could actually be the car cleaner too - the senile pig-headed guy just doesn't understand that he must not use water lying on the ground to clean the car (yes my wife saw him wet and squeeze the cloth with *that* water)!

I guess I will just have to find the time and clean the car myself.

These rains and our stupid stagnation (not drainage) systems are quickly putting paid to my hopes for a dream beginning month (including photo shoot ops) with BQ .

Regards,
spadix