Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2010, 19:36   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
spadix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,018
Thanked: 185 Times
Default The march of the Black Queen (my new Honda Civic 1.8V in Black)

Context:
Honda SIEL unleashed the Civic on to an eager market in 2006. I couldn't buy one immediately because bigger life plans (marriage, higher studies) loomed in the short term. I just kept taking the occasional test drive.

The old M800, at 11 years and 9 months and nearly 90,000 kms, began to show signs of giving up the ghost without warning. It had to be replaced. We bade her goodbye on April 8, 2010, which was one year earlier than originally planned.

The bike was good enough for the time being and we were ~OK~ with purchasing the new car in April 2011 as planned originally. However, Honda's "insurance at Re. 1/-" scheme in July 2010 for the Civic was too yummy to let go. Besides, with the July model refresh the car closed the feature gap on its main rivals just that little bit. So we decided to go ahead with the purchase immediately.

Alternatives:
My primary concern was to drive a car which loved to be driven. So anything from the A-Star to the Civic (outer limit of affordability at this time) which fit this bill was OK. Outside of this set the Indigo CS was tempting only because of sheer economics of ownership.

The other concerns were that it had to be easy enough for the wife to drive (out went the Cruze with its heavy weighted steering and hard-ish clutch). The time of April 2010 to July 2010 was mentally harrowing, where we considered everything from the Punto and Polo to the Fiesta to the City to the Cruze. At the end of the day, the 4+-year heartthrob + heartache was just too much to handle.

Taking the plunge:
We finally took the plunge in mid-July and started the process of arranging for a loan and finalizing the colour and variant. Here's where mental torture resumed. Both wife and I are crazy about black. But the Civic looks stunning in white as well as red. So, white or black? Or red? We flipped many times and at the very last minute, before handing over the margin money cheque to Pride, decided that black it will be. There was similar agony over S vs. V, with V winning at the end of the day.

So a Crystal Black Pearl July 2010 Honda Civic 1.8V M/T it is, finally.

Now for some pictures.

PDI:
I made it a point to do the Team-BHP PDI on my own, so the salesperson picked me up from my office last Tuesday, when the car just came off the transport truck, and we went to the service center-cum-stockyard. This was originally scheduled for Thursday, but the car arrived early and I couldn't wait. Since I didn't have my main camera at hand, all I have available from the pre-PDI are pictures taken from the mobile phone -
The march of the Black Queen (my new Honda Civic 1.8V in Black)-img_1298.jpg
The march of the Black Queen (my new Honda Civic 1.8V in Black)-img_1296.jpg
The march of the Black Queen (my new Honda Civic 1.8V in Black)-img_1300.jpg
The march of the Black Queen (my new Honda Civic 1.8V in Black)-img_1302.jpg

Delivery:
I must be one of the few people in this world who delays the delivery of his car. It was ready on Wednesday but I wanted to pick it up on Saturday at leisure so that I don't have to take time off from work. Besides, parents also wouldn't have been available on Wednesday.

Here are some pictures from the delivery -
The march of the Black Queen (my new Honda Civic 1.8V in Black)-dsc_9160.jpg
The march of the Black Queen (my new Honda Civic 1.8V in Black)-dsc_9167.jpg
The march of the Black Queen (my new Honda Civic 1.8V in Black)-dsc_9201.jpg
The march of the Black Queen (my new Honda Civic 1.8V in Black)-p1050561.jpg
The march of the Black Queen (my new Honda Civic 1.8V in Black)-p1050579.jpg
The march of the Black Queen (my new Honda Civic 1.8V in Black)-p1050573.jpg

The first three days:
Enough has been said about the Civic already so I won't repeat all that information here. However, I have yet to learn a lot about the behaviour of the car over speed breakers. With a full load of 5 adults (including some really overweight people - myself included) and luggage, the car managed some tall humps just fine.

However, there was this unpaved road with a speedbreaker with a small climb but really nasty dip on which I badly scraped the car's belly even with a much lighter load. I should probably have dropped to around 2-3 kmph. In fact it was so bad that the chromed exhaust tip came off as the silencer scraped the 'breaker. I didn't realize this immediately. A friendly biker couple who were behind us informed us of it. By the time I parked the car and went back to the spot, the tip (worth 4k INR apparently) was nowhere to be found :(.

This was on an empty bylane, so I can only marvel at the speed and precision of the thief. It rankles even now, especially considering the amount of road tax we pay .

Other than this incident, driving the car is an experience filled with pure joy. Of course I still need to get used to many aspects of the car, but everything about the car just feels very intuitive and driver-friendly and brings a smile to your face every time you drive.

I will stop here and in a subsequent post, review of my experience with the dealer, Pride Honda. In summary, I found them extremely nice to deal with and would definitely recommend Pride to any future Honda car buyer in Hyderabad. However, there were a couple of very minor negatives also which I'll share in the later post.

Regards,
spadix

Last edited by spadix : 2nd August 2010 at 19:40. Reason: Wanted the title of the post to reflect the car's name to help in forum searches
spadix is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2010, 19:46   #2
BHPian
 
rahul016's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Dehradun
Posts: 106
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Congrats Spadix on your purchase.Nice choice and the car look great in this color.
rahul016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2010, 20:00   #3
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 234
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Congrats Spadix

It looks awesome in black. Especially liked speedo console.

Sorry about Silencer tip. Not to mention, you need to be bit careful with breakers :-(
idea1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 21:57   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
spadix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,018
Thanked: 185 Times
Default

Thanks a lot, rahul016 and idea1979!

The salesperson just gave me a shock a few hours back saying that the chrome tip might actually be 10-12k instead of 4k . I still don't have the final word yet from the accessories sales department.

I got the underside of the car checked by Pride Honda Service and except for some scratches to the steel beams (that form the protective cage) and a slightly bent steel plate that protects the exhaust assembly everything is clean. Thankfully no parts replacements are required (the exhaust tip is only an optional thing anyway).

Here is a list of what I like/dislike based on 4 days of owning and driving the car -

Likes:
  1. The engine! It's just fabulous. Smooth and creamy and easy to rev, I'm finding it really tough to keep it below 3k rpm. While the manual mentions a "break-in" period, it doesn't specify any speed limits to be observed in this period. All it says is that sudden acceleration and deceleration should be avoided. It's just to my own satisfaction that I'm keeping the revs below 3k rpm (except for two occasions where I had to touch 4k to overtake some slow-moving truck).
  2. Noise isolation is just fantastic. After an M800 and my father's Indigo, the Civic is just whisper-quiet inside the cabin.
  3. Automatic climate control is just an absolute chiller. I know that this is the case with every new car and that over time, as dust begins to take its toll the efficiency might drop. However, I am really impressed by how quickly the big cabin is cooled so effectively. I still haven't got any window tints (waiting for permanent registration) so the performance of the AC is all the more commendable.
  4. Steering feel is very nice and is perfectly-weighted. There is also a decent amount of feedback from the wheel. However, among the cars I've driven I still find the 800, Fiesta and Logan as offering better steering directness, feel and feedback.
  5. Slick gear lever is very nice to use and begs to be used often .
  6. Brakes are confidence-inspiring although I still have to get used to them and learn to modulate them properly under all conditions.
  7. Interior lighting (i.e. ambient lighting, convenience lighting all included) is actually very bright and useful.
  8. Fuel economy is also impressive for such a new car. I am getting around 11 kmpl with AC on all the time in city driving conditions which I think is a big plus for a car of this size and weight.
  9. Space and comfort inside, as well as the "feel" of the interiors. The storage spaces are also spacious and useful. In the 800 it was very easy for me to collect everything from the cubbyholes because there were so few of those. In this car I actually have to spend some time because I tend to put so much stuff in them!
  10. Lovely ride except on really bad potholes. Ruts and near-level unpaved roads aren't a problem at all.
Dislikes:
  1. Ground clearance issues and resultant heartache, obviously. The 2010 version apparently has this sorted out. If that's the case I wonder just how bad the earlier Civics are in this regard.
  2. Reading through the owner's manual, I have realized just how many features Honda is actually capable of giving us in this car and what a raw deal we get in India. I think other Civic owners can appreciate this aspect. The list is so huge that it'll take a post of its own here.
  3. Audio system can't play my 2005 model black-and-white iPod classic. Perhaps I'm asking for too much.
  4. Low beam could be more powerful, I feel.
  5. The clutch seems to be very sensitive. I haven't stalled the car at all, but experienced quite a bit of jerkiness already. Maybe I just have to learn to modulate the clutch better, compared to what I've been used to on the 800 and Indigo.
  6. I have yet to find the ideal seating position. I either have to stretch for the clutch pedal (sitting back), or my right knee touches the base of the dashboard and I experience some discomfort in the right foot while braking. At other times I hit the dead pedal when suddenly going for the clutch pedal. That leads to some 'almost-stalled' moments. I will take heart from shuvc's experience (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1943604 (ShuvCivic - Tafeta White VM/T)) in this regard.
  7. Sometimes I feel the steering is pulling to the left, whereas at other times it's perfectly neutral. I don't know if this is because the road has some camber or incline, but I get this feeling on seemingly perfectly flat roads too. Maybe I'm just being too paranoid like all new car owners are!
  8. This is in the same category as the previous point, but I think the engine note seems to me to "flap" a little. I really don't know how to describe it better, but while the note isn't gruff, it seems to have a high-frequency wavy pattern to its noise (almost like how a V8 engine sounds when revved - not exactly but close). I don't know if the missing exhaust tip is a contributor to this (if it really exists). However I didn't really examine the note before I lost the tip, so I can't really say.
  9. Small-ish boot compared to Dad's Indigo. Not really a huge concern to me at this point in time at least, however.
I'll take some more pictures of the car over the weekend and post them to this thread.

The promised report on the dealer will also come. I have just found another couple of things that I have to close with them, following which I'll be in a better position to offer the review.

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 22:45   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
shuvc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 2,895
Thanked: 283 Times
Default

Wonderful ! Congratulations !

How much does it cost on road in Hyderabad?

The 11kmpl mileage - is this based on the dash display? If so you may want to keep tabs yourself, tankful to tankful. My dash FE reading is always, at least, 1kmpl more than actual ! Methinks this is how Honda gets their FE reputation

Your iPod does not play even if you use the Aux-in?

Steering pulling to the left is something I too felt initially. Had the A.S.S. check it out. They said it's all fine. They said even the balancing was fine. Turned out the alignment was ok though I did actually have a balancing issue (slight vibration at 110-120 speeds) which went away after changing the tyres and getting the wheels balanced in the process.

Ride is good but the suspension can be heard doing its work - unlike say in a Jetta !
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 22:56   #6
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,746
Thanked: 7,963 Times
Default

Prashant, firstly congratulations on owning this black beauty!! The smoky headlights look fabulous. Wish you loads of happiness miles in it.

Really sad to know the initial experience of losing the exhaust tip over the hump and its pricing is totally shocking, hope you get it replaced it at 4k.

I wasnt aware that Civic's soft suspension has been tightened in 2010 version. How many people were there when this incident happened? Was it at the famed Road No. 14 Banjara Hills where 6-8 speedbreakers are there one after the other?

Hope you overcome this intial hiccup and start enjoying this beauty's true colours. Look forward to you etching your experiences out here as you progress with this ownership.

Cheers and Drive Safe!
Avi
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 23:38   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,992
Thanked: 356 Times
Default

Prashant, congrats on your Civic. Hope you many wonderful miles with it.

Just a few queries:
  1. Do get any blindspot around the A Pillar?
  2. V means the top end right?
Also I would suggest not getting the chrome exhaust tip changed from the dealer. I'm definitely sure,it will be less than 4k outside. If you come to next meet, will also tell you where you can get one
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 00:03   #8
BHPian
 
Dr.AD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangalore/Pune
Posts: 428
Thanked: 1,091 Times
Default

Hi Spadix,

Congratulations on your car, and nice review! Civic is a great car, and Black color is just fabulous! Sorry to hear about the bad scrapping incidence. Hope this is the last such incidence and never happens again.

Regarding the pulling to one side that you feel, my suggestion would be that you take her out on a nice smooth highway and drive at some good speeds for a good 50km or more. If there is indeed a pull or alignment issue, it will be very obvious to you at high speeds. If the steering behaves well in this test, then you know everything is OK.

Enjoy your beautiful machine!

Regards,
-AD
Dr.AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 00:18   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
spadix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,018
Thanked: 185 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Wonderful ! Congratulations !

How much does it cost on road in Hyderabad?
Thanks, shuvc! I must say that your first post in your own ownership review (and in fact the entire thread) just reinforced my decision to buy the Civic.

The OTR price of the V M/T in Hyderabad currently stands at 1585755 inclusive of free extended warranty. However, I got insurance at Re. 1 (the scheme is on even this month by the way, just as I had expected it to be -- seems like the Cruze is really giving Honda a hard time here).

I also got the corporate discount of 7500 INR. So the OTR was effectively 1526991.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
The 11kmpl mileage - is this based on the dash display? If so you may want to keep tabs yourself, tankful to tankful. My dash FE reading is always, at least, 1kmpl more than actual ! Methinks this is how Honda gets their FE reputation
Yes and no. I read the in-dash F/E at the end of one day, and again at the end of the next day. This gave me the fuel consumed during that day, which I then used to divide the distance driven that day with. Since I took differences, I assume I must've gotten very close to the actual consumption. Of course, I'll have the exact answer at the next top-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Your iPod does not play even if you use the Aux-in?
Yes. I get an "Unsupported ver" error. Mine's a 2004/5 click-wheel black-and-white model (4th generation; the last one before the iPod Photo was released). The iPhone 3G works just fine, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Steering pulling to the left is something I too felt initially. Had the A.S.S. check it out. They said it's all fine. They said even the balancing was fine. Turned out the alignment was ok though I did actually have a balancing issue (slight vibration at 110-120 speeds) which went away after changing the tyres and getting the wheels balanced in the process.

Ride is good but the suspension can be heard doing its work - unlike say in a Jetta !
Yeah I'll get things checked during the 1st service. Surprisingly I haven't heard the suspension in action so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Prashant, firstly congratulations on owning this black beauty!! The smoky headlights look fabulous. Wish you loads of happiness miles in it.
Thanks, bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Really sad to know the initial experience of losing the exhaust tip over the hump and its pricing is totally shocking, hope you get it replaced it at 4k.
I'm working out another angle to this as well. Will update only if that effort goes through successfully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I wasnt aware that Civic's soft suspension has been tightened in 2010 version. How many people were there when this incident happened? Was it at the famed Road No. 14 Banjara Hills where 6-8 speedbreakers are there one after the other?
4 adults and one kid. No luggage. This was in the bylane behind Shoppers' Stop in Begumpet, just in front of the Varun Begumpet service centre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Prashant, congrats on your Civic. Hope you many wonderful miles with it.

Just a few queries:
  1. Do get any blindspot around the A Pillar?
  2. V means the top end right?
Also I would suggest not getting the chrome exhaust tip changed from the dealer. I'm definitely sure,it will be less than 4k outside. If you come to next meet, will also tell you where you can get one
Thanks, MileCruncher! I'm in no hurry to get the exhaust tip now. The salesperson himself said it isn't a good idea, and asked me to go to Minister Road . Thanks a lot for the offer. I'll definitely get the low-down on the tip from you.

Coming to your questions -

Yes, there is a blindspot around the A-pillar and it has already surprised me on a couple of occasions. I'm being extra cautious.

V is the top-end. Of course I went with the M/T and not A/T. Still, the feature set is a joke compared even to cars that are a couple of segments lower. However, whatever features are there, are implemented *really* well bar that small issue of older iPods not being supported. For instance, the convenience light around the ignition key hole is just a really neat feature.

What I would really want to see in the V, in order of priority (totally subjective) -
  1. Steering mounted audio controls (shouldn't cost a single paisa to Honda)
  2. Instantaneous F/E display and distance-to-empty
  3. Bumper bottom protectors like on the Jazz and Manza - even better if these are around the entire body actually
  4. Bluetooth support, especially something that can connect a phone and cut out the CD/USB/AUX/FM when there's a phone call.
  5. Split rear seat (again, shouldn't cost Honda a thing)
  6. Side and side curtain airbags, and some more safety features (like VSA etc.)
  7. Multi-disc changer
  8. Duplicate key also with remote transmitter, and a set of 3 keys instead of two.
  9. Sunroof
  10. Some of the other features which are present on international Civics (as I said, the user manual is enough to make you weep)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD
Congratulations on your car, and nice review! Civic is a great car, and Black color is just fabulous! Sorry to hear about the bad scrapping incidence. Hope this is the last such incidence and never happens again.

Enjoy your beautiful machine!
Thanks a lot, Dr.AD! Yes, I too hope that that is the last incident. One thing is sure. Whenever I come across a bad stretch of road with bone-breakers now, I'll ask everyone to step out. My wife and parents will be only too happy to oblige. But I hope it doesn't come to that, as this isn't at all practical on a busy road. The key is to be extra cautious on unknown roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD
Regarding the pulling to one side that you feel, my suggestion would be that you take her out on a nice smooth highway and drive at some good speeds for a good 50km or more. If there is indeed a pull or alignment issue, it will be very obvious to you at high speeds. If the steering behaves well in this test, then you know everything is OK.
A visit to the highway is definitely in order. The ORR to the Shamshabad airport is right next to the office almost. That should be the perfect test, I think.

Regards,
spadix

Last edited by spadix : 4th August 2010 at 00:27. Reason: Quoting Dr.AD -- saw his post immediately after I posted and didn't want to double post immediately
spadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 02:03   #10
Newbie
 
1Maverick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 17
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Happy for you

Congrats Spadix
The joy of sitting in that cockpit is something else - from my TD experience.

And totally concur with you about Honda's paise wise rupee foolish feature cuts.

Tell me this Ground Clearance & its Silencer Tip incident, how much has it traumatized you?
I mean after spending a bomb, then asking people to step out of the car on bad stretches of the road, though practically effective, is a sad solution. (Honda please wake up to Indian road conditions.)

I'm in a similar situation to what you were in a month ago. Do share gyan from your fresh ownership experiences.
See http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2004388 (ShuvCivic - Tafeta White VM/T)

Thanks and have many years of joyous driving.
1Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 08:54   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
spadix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,018
Thanked: 185 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Maverick View Post
Congrats Spadix
The joy of sitting in that cockpit is something else - from my TD experience.
Thanks, 1Maverick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Maverick View Post
Tell me this Ground Clearance & its Silencer Tip incident, how much has it traumatized you?
I mean after spending a bomb, then asking people to step out of the car on bad stretches of the road, though practically effective, is a sad solution. (Honda please wake up to Indian road conditions.)
It has traumatized me to the following extent -
  1. Obviously seeing damage inflicted to a brand new car hurts, but you realize that it's a question of "when", not "if", and move on.
  2. Honda's absurd pricing for what's essentially a decorative item.
  3. Dismay at fellow countrymen's mal-intentioned opportunism. Luckily there are still helpful people out there. I will recall an incident from end-April -
    There was this huge new pothole that didn't exist before on a known road, just after a dip in the road (so I couldn't see it early enough), and the two left wheel caps came off the Indigo when we hit the 'hole. In fact there was a Zen parked to the left just a little ahead and it seemed like it too was a casualty of the same thing. As we pulled aside to inspect damage, much to our surprise, a gentleman walking on the non-existent footpath actually collected the two caps from the middle of the road, quietly handed them over to us and continued on his way!
  4. The fact that quantum of road tax keeps increasing but the quality of the roads just keeps deteriorating, for the most part. For instance, the road in front of my office is one of the best in the city but was still needlessly relaid a couple of months ago. It has already started wearing out where water collects. It beats me that they still can't build roads with camber and water run-off areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Maverick View Post
I'm in a similar situation to what you were in a month ago. Do share gyan from your fresh ownership experiences.
See http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2004388 (ShuvCivic - Tafeta White VM/T)
I took a lot at that post. I'll respond to it in that thread itself if you don't mind, so it preserves context for future readers/searches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Maverick View Post
Thanks and have many years of joyous driving.
Anytime, man! And thank you as well.

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 10:07   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
vasoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Memphis TN
Posts: 1,031
Thanked: 207 Times
Default

Congrats spadix. Civic is a wonderful car to own. I dont think there are many Black Civic owners here in this forum. Most of them seems to metallic gray and white.

The newer models are definitely better than previous ones with respect to bottom scraping issues.

Regarding corporate discount, I got 20k in Bangalore. May be it depends upon their agreement with company you work with.

Seating and steering positions are something which I took quite some time to resolve. I was used to high seats of Santro and felt like I am sitting in a ditch when I was driving this car initially. After lots of trial and errors, finally when I had the right seating and steering position, I am finding it very difficult to enter the car without pulling back the seat!

Feature-wise Civic is still very poor compared to its peers such as Altis and Cruze. But then we didn't buy this car for those fancy features, right? I still remember the expression of one of my friend who owns a ANHC, when he took a test drive of my car. There is a reason why Civic costs 5 lacs more.

One of the main gripe I have with this car is the poor headlights, especially the low beam. I am planning to change the bulbs soon before I go for my next long trip. Currently it is too much of strain driving in night, especially when it rains. I am also in the process of upgrading my tires to Michelin PLC.

The only additions I have on my car so far has been 3M RE35 sunfilms, reverse parking sensors with RVM mounted display unit and a Garmin GPS unit with Bluetooth capability.

Btw, it's interesting to see you comparing Civic with M800 especially the part where you say that M800 has better steering feedback! Would suggest you try driving an ANHC, you will know how different the steering is in Civic.
vasoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 10:15   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
shuvc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 2,895
Thanked: 283 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Regarding corporate discount, I got 20k in Bangalore. May be it depends upon their agreement with company you work with.
....
Seating and steering positions are something which I took quite some time to resolve. I was used to high seats of Santro and felt like I am sitting in a ditch when I was driving this car initially. After lots of trial and errors, finally when I had the right seating and steering position, I am finding it very difficult to enter the car without pulling back the seat!
....
There is a reason why Civic costs 5 lacs more.
Yep, I got 20K corporate discount too.
...

On Day 1 I remember raising the seat to the max height. 3 months later, somewhere along the way, I find myself pretty comfortable in the lowest position !! That's where it is nowadays.
....
In Calcutta Civic V M/T is 4L more than ANHC V M/T; S M/T is 3L more.
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 13:38   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
spadix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,018
Thanked: 185 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Congrats spadix. Civic is a wonderful car to own. I dont think there are many Black Civic owners here in this forum. Most of them seems to metallic gray and white.
Thanks, vasoo! Yes I too haven't seen too many Black Civics on TBHP. White seems to be the overwhelming majority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
The newer models are definitely better than previous ones with respect to bottom scraping issues.
I'm willing to take Honda's and the market's verdict on this. Which is why I said I shudder to think of what older Civics would've gone through on that particular bump my car took a hit from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Regarding corporate discount, I got 20k in Bangalore. May be it depends upon their agreement with company you work with.
A couple of things have happened here. First of all, the overall corporate discount has reduced from 20k to 15k. Now, I would've got 15k if not for the insurance offer. The insurance on the V is 51265. Why is this so high? Because Honda and dealer make a lot of money off showroom insurance. Roughly half of this amount goes to these two parties and the other half to the actual insurance company. In fact my insurance policy clearly states that the gross premium is 31961 only. This means that the dealer and Honda would normally pocket around 19300. Essentially, when insurance is being given for Re. 1 both parties are already giving this discount together. That's why I get only 7.5k (Honda's share) of the 15k corporate discount. The dealer withholds his part of that corporate discount (the other 7.5k).

This was the story across both the Honda dealerships here. I guess if I really bargained hard, I could've gotten another 2.5k (the invoice does state a 10k corporate discount and I'm investigating this further; more updates later) but I did get the body cover worth 2.2k free of charge.

If I had bought the car when the insurance scheme wasn't on offer I would've paid 34k to Tata-AIG and got a 0 dep. policy. The current 32k policy that I have (from Bajaj Allianz under the aegis of "Honda Assure") is not a 0 dep. policy. I would've had to shell out some 7-8k more for that top-up.

If you take the car on lease, the discount is actually 30k. This was very tempting to me. I seriously considered the lease option as well but decided not to go for it (despite the fact that the margin money would've been freed up) because I didn't want to limit my flexibility in terms of employer (Civic lease transfer isn't as liquid a market as say that for a hatch) and there was really no difference in the projected monthly outflow, all things considered. More importantly, you never get the feeling that you "own" the car if it's leased. The ownership was *very* important to me. Maybe this decision will come back to bite me where it hurts financially in the future, but I'm bracing myself for that and I'm 100% comfortable with my decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Feature-wise Civic is still very poor compared to its peers such as Altis and Cruze. But then we didn't buy this car for those fancy features, right? I still remember the expression of one of my friend who owns a ANHC, when he took a test drive of my car. There is a reason why Civic costs 5 lacs more.
Exactly. I completely agree with you regarding the driving feel and experience. I drove a friend's ANHC and while I personally found it better than some of the 1.6 litre sedans (think Aveo etc.) it wasn't a patch on the Fiesta, leave alone the Civic! Still, I'm a feature junkie and except the sunroof, the other features I listed earlier are things that I would actually use daily if I had them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
One of the main gripe I have with this car is the poor headlights, especially the low beam. I am planning to change the bulbs soon before I go for my next long trip. Currently it is too much of strain driving in night, especially when it rains.
+1. I noted this above and I think I should change too. I'll go through the modifications threads but I'm worried that the electricals will get messed up and Honda will refuse to honour the warranty. Let's see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
The only additions I have on my car so far has been 3M RE35 sunfilms, reverse parking sensors with RVM mounted display unit and a Garmin GPS unit with Bluetooth capability.
I plan to get sun-film post registration (permanent). While I don't feel the heat now, Hyderabadi summer is bad.

Right now, I'm happy with the beeping reverse parking sensor. I would've expected that at least a distance readout is there somewhere, although the manual lists out a table which correlates distance to beep frequency. It's hard to imagine that Honda charges 20k for such a basic system (I was considering "genuine Honda accessories" + S before Dad convinced me to plump for the V instead).

GPS + BT is a good addition. How much did you pay for that? As usual, Honda charges 19k for the OEM GPS stuff they sell. I don't know the exact details of the package but it inherently felt worthless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Btw, it's interesting to see you comparing Civic with M800 especially the part where you say that M800 has better steering feedback! Would suggest you try driving an ANHC, you will know how different the steering is in Civic.
Already done! The ANHC was underwhelming compared to the Civic. No question there at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
In Calcutta Civic V M/T is 4L more than ANHC V M/T; S M/T is 3L more.
Thanks to the unnecessary price rise of the Civic and discontinuation of the E variant (both done to prevent cannibalization of the City 'V') the difference in Hyderabad is actually much more. The City 'V' M/T is a shade over 10 lacs OTR, whereas the Civic S is 14.8something and V is 15.86.

It really hurts. I know how I've stretched to buy this gem. I searched around for a pre-worshipped Civic for some time before I finally decided to buy new as I don't want to think of another new car for at least 8-10 years now. It helps that used car prices are really high in Hyderabad and there weren't any pre-worshipped examples anyway. There are at least two Hyderabadi TBHPians I've interacted with on the forum, one of whom has gone for a different pre-worshipped car and the other is still searching for that elusive one the last time I checked.

The ground clearance issue also weighed in favour of the decision to buy new. Unfortunately, day 2 put paid to that.

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 13:54   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
Invinsible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 60 Times
Default

Congrats! it looks stunning in black. Keep it shining always
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brand new ANHC or used Civic to keep for 10 years. Edit: Got a 2007 Honda Civic sumeethaldankar Sedans 117 29th May 2013 10:31
Honda City Vs Honda Civic E Vs Honda Civic V (pre-owned) drkunaldas Sedans 4 31st October 2010 18:07


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:18.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks