Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 5th August 2010, 15:39   #181
Senior - BHPian

Now why will I buy the Alto K10 to the more good looking and better specced A-star?

I am paying slightly more amount but I am getting much more car here.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 15:41   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Vxi on road price in Bangalore - 3,92,000/- don't know how its increased in 24 hrs

If I do an remap and CAI, it will not cost me more than 40K, really in thniking if I should trade my 2007 Alto for this one. My car gives me regular 20+ FE, I have fitted internally adjusted orvs on both side, parking sensors, fog lamps and 12v socket, so the extra I may get is the power, but for that a wopping 60K increase in not justified, my car's on road price was 3,32,000/-
Think differently,
1) Its a brand new car its bigger and better in many ways than the old one.
2) It has king of petrol engines lying in the bay.
3) Power it oozes in not only best in segment but better than upper segment cars.
4) You will get better FE.
5) AC will perform better than old one and city / highway drivability will be much much better.

50K for all these is not a bad deal at all. I am ready to bet minimum of 2 month waiting period to start with. To me the old Alto now does not make a sense at all.
Ajay_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 15:42   #183
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
Nice review there TheMAG and superb comparison and exterior pics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Very nice review TheMAG and the pictures are just great.
Thanks gents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reisender View Post
Oh did i praise you for the outdoor photos
You did now Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by u_chill View Post
Excellent review TheMag! I pored over the whole thread yesterday, and guess what...went ahead and placed a booking at Mandovi this morning!
Thats some brand recall!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judemayne View Post
TheMag-thanks for a great pictoral review-loved the pics!!

Col J H Mayne
Thank you, Colonel. BTW - I have the greatest regard for men in uniform.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 15:59   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
Now why will I buy the Alto K10 to the more good looking and better specced A-star?

I am paying slightly more amount but I am getting much more car here.
1. Alto k10 is definitely more faster and more thrill to drive than the A-Star.
2. Alto has better space than the A-Star and more importantly feels less claustrophobic and has better boot.
3. It costs less.
4. Its more fuel effieicent.
5. Cost of ownership will be very low compared to A-Star.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 15:59   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey today's Times of India paper has a full page ad of the Alto K10 and mentions that this is an introductory price.

Guess based on the demand they will hike the prices by 10-15k, this is only my guess though
nkrishnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 16:10   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
2. Alto has better space than the A-Star and more importantly feels less claustrophobic and has better boot.
3. It costs less.
I dont see much different with 80-100 kg weight but yes I do agree that Alto might be more aerodynamic. But that should not gain more than a second.

2. I doubt better space, but yes boot might be bigger. I will still feel at home in the A-star.

3. For the difference in Price I feel A-star to be much better built with some additional features thrown in. A-star is today's car compared to Alto which belongs to Genghiz Khan's regime.

5. In real world driving I dont see that much of a difference between 19.6 kmpl and 20.2 kmpl.

6. Well, its a cheap car so yes cost of ownership will be low. But will I buy an Alto for 3.5? I would really think hard on this one. There are better cars available from competing companies too.

Just my opinion.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 16:15   #187
BHPian

Default Competition heating up-Hyundai i10

Hi Guys, It seems that Hyundai is coming up with a response- i10 1 L Kappa . more news below:

Power play by Alto, i10: Rediff.com Business

regards,
adg_andy

Last edited by adg_andy : 5th August 2010 at 16:16. Reason: spelling mistake
adg_andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 16:21   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
3. It costs less.
For all our talk of safety and how important it is, I see no mention of safety in your post. And how will the cost of ownership be very low. The regular consumables will be almost identical for both given the same engine.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 16:26   #189
Senior - BHPian

Superb reviews, great pics!! Do I sense an old man's eye behind the lens?!!

The car even has a CAI - modders, go berserk!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This car has a power to weight ratio of 88 BHP / Tonne...enough to smoke some C segment sedans, leave aside B segment hatchbacks.

P.S. : This car proves that you don't have to spend money to have fun. Its quick in stock form. Add an exhaust, better tyres and a potential remap...you are looking at well over 110 BHP / Ton. In character, somewhat similar to the OHC Vtec.

P.P.S : I'm willing to bet you are looking at a future Tuner favourite here. Get this, the power to weight ratio in stock form is better than the 8 lakh rupee Sx4!
Exactly my thought when I read the power and the weight of the car! Just bump the power by 9 BHP, and you have a 100 BHP per ton car. K&N with CAI, Iridium plugs, synth oil and FFE - and you have a scorcher that even some C segment cars have to wary of, on the track as well as on the highway!
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 16:46   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
you have a scorcher that even some C segment cars have to wary of, on the track as well as on the highway!
Not on the track for sure, not with that feather light electric power steering but one heck of a car within the city.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 5th August 2010 at 17:02.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 16:54   #191
BHPian

I am worried about the people getting excited with 0-100 figures of the new Alto. What about safety in case someone is doing high speed that also in a small car 'alto'. It cannot be compared with the C segment cars as they will be atleast more safe at higher speed (even without ABS+Airbags).
ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 16:58   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkavthekar View Post
I liked the overall shape / facelift given to the current Alto. Most of it looks in proportion. However, if this car would have been from TATA stable, it would have immediately got criticized for lack of finnesse / fit & finish, which, no one on this forum has pointed out. Case in point - white circle in the pic.

Obviously you either haven't been to the earlier thread or missed the comment right above the 2nd picture on this post(check out the link below). Bouquets and brickbats, both are welcome, as long as one can substantiate it.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2009162 (Maruti plans to relaunch Alto with 1000cc K-series engine)

Last edited by longhorn : 5th August 2010 at 17:04.
longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 17:01   #193
Senior - BHPian

Nice review. I am happy to see that people can own this rocket at such a low price. It will be great fun to drive in the city. Many people i know, dont buy alto because its AC is not powerful. Now those people will also buy this car. Lets see how it sales in real world.

I guess this Alto will compete more with Maruti's cars only than others. It will compete with old Alto, Estilo, A-star & new Wagon R as well. It will surely eat some portion of all these cars. Also it will eat shares of Santro, Spark & Beat. Others has to think quickly to some good solution to compete with this car
aniketi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 17:03   #194
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Superb reviews, great pics!! Do I sense an old man's eye behind the lens?!!
1. If you're talking about age when you say "old man", my wife will have a fit if she sees this !

2. If by "old man", you are comparing to THE Old Man on the forum, known for his inimitable wizardry using his cannon:
a. You just made me a very happy man, since I had to shoot the pics/post-process! He is incomparable, and I guess I'm lucky to have him as a teacher
b. I'm not sure THE Old Man might like the comparison though! Be prepared if you find him outside your house with a shotgun tonight, using his 100-400 mm lens as a view-finder !

Quote:
Exactly my thought when I read the power and the weight of the car! Just bump the power by 9 BHP, and you have a 100 BHP per ton car. K&N with CAI, Iridium plugs, synth oil and FFE - and you have a scorcher that even some C segment cars have to wary of, on the track as well as on the highway!
Speed is the biggest inherent trait of this car. However, handling is not. I would think that rather than making it faster, if tuners can work on improving its handling, no further tuning will ever be needed on this car.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 17:09   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
1. If you're talking about age when you say "old man", my wife will have a fit if she sees this !

2. If by "old man", you are comparing to THE Old Man on the forum, known for his inimitable wizardry using his cannon:
a. You just made me a very happy man, since I had to shoot the pics/post-process! He is incomparable, and I guess I'm lucky to have him as a teacher
b. I'm not sure THE Old Man might like the comparison though! Be prepared if you find him outside your house with a shotgun tonight, using his 100-400 mm lens as a view-finder !

Let me put it this way then - you are a pretty good student
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote