Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 6th August 2010, 22:42   #256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
What's the on-road price of i10 AT?
Ex.Show. Pune for Magna AT is Rs. 461,566/-. Yeah that's with 1.2 Kappa!

Hyundai no more offers Santro AT!!

If Maruti adds AT to Alto K10, IMO it should not cost more than 40K additional. In that case it will be a steal deal! I think AT is reserved for AStar.
Ex Show price in chennai Rs. 4.52L and OTR comes close to 5.05 L.

Anything around 4.25 to 4.5 L OTR will be a killer price.
Ananthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 22:46   #257
BHPian

By looking at the dashboard pictures, it resembles more of the Alto 800 than the Estilo.

But frankly, MSIL is confusing buyers with so many cars using nearly the same engine and meagre cost differences.

Is the old Wagon R available for sale?

Last edited by Ananthang : 6th August 2010 at 22:52.
Old 6th August 2010, 22:56   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananthang View Post
Mods please remove the post if someone had already mentioned about this in the same thread -

If MS can launch a Automatic with the new Alto around 5L On road, it would be superb value add for all those who are looking for budget automatic. It would also cause a very stiff competition to the Over priced I10 Automatic.
Chop off 1 lakh and maybe the alto AT can see some sale. Anyways MSIL with its 3 speed AT box is single handedly responsible for imprinting the AT=Low FE figures in Indian public.

And please tell me in what way is the i10 AT overpriced?
Why does no other maker other than Hyundai offer a small AT hatch with all safety features at less than 5.5 lakhs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
5 lakh on road means a whopping 1 lakh alone for the auto box!!??
Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
5 Lacs is costly mate. I don't think making Alto Vxi automatic will cost so much. I guess 20-30 K more is enough. But yes, i liked your idea a lot. This alto has everything, good engine, looks, good AC, good FE & last but not least cool price. Added to that if people get Automatic version it will be cherry on cake. It will boost sales a lot. Women will definitely prefer it.

auto box normally commands a premium of 40-50 K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
For me a high 160 mm ground clearance is also vital as i am always used to driving a car with a decent GC.

Great idea PAAJI.

This could give sleepless nights for marketing team of Santro xing AT.
No more santro AT for quite a while!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Let's be clear about one thing - almost no one would touch an Alto at 5lakhs, AT notwithstanding.
Infact it is too much of a gamble to move up Alto prices to 4-lakh level itself. If at all MSIL plans to plonk in an AT, it would be in the A-Star.

@Gansan, I think the salesguy would have either meant that 800-Alto would be available in lower 2 trims or he might be misinformed. I doubt that MSIL would create a confusion of having 2 LXis - as it is the same car is coming in different body-shells and engine options.

Someone mentioned that ABS and airbags icons were present in the dashboard, but grayed out. Could this mean possibility of a ZXi at a later date ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
What's the on-road price of i10 AT?
Ex.Show. Pune for Magna AT is Rs. 461,566/-. Yeah that's with 1.2 Kappa!

Hyundai no more offers Santro AT!!

If Maruti adds AT to Alto K10, IMO it should not cost more than 40K additional. In that case it will be a steal deal! I think AT is reserved for AStar.
Yup - AT on an Astar would be great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
The pricing point for Alto AT should be less than 4L and that of A* AT should be less than 4.5L. If this pricing isnt possible then it would be difficult for MSIL to cut into Hyundai's sales.
+1 to that
blackasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 23:24   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
I think you mean the front overhang! Wouldn't be much of a problem. Here are pics for you to differentiate!
Looking at the alto K10 snap, I a little surprised that the K10 VXI does not feature a day/night mirror, something similar to the Wagon-R VXI. Elsewhere on this forum, it was even suggested that the Wagon-R VXI day/night mirror could be fixed on the Alto.
misquitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 23:31   #260
Senior - BHPian

To day I got a call from My sales executive to give a visit to the Show room to see the Alto K10. On my question of the availability of TD vehicle it was told that it is not there with Chennai ABT till to day. I may visit only affter 15th August and if TD available I will do a TD too.
navan49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 23:42   #261

Awesome review and photography !!. I somehow feel that this is Maruti's attempt to take on the Chevy Spark head on. Another thing is from the sides the Alto K10 looks like the Fiat UNO, don't know why, but to me it does.
cbadami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 23:43   #262
Senior - BHPian

Finally the pocket rocket we'd been talking about, but never got

If i were in tvm, there would have been an indica for sale in the classifieds right now
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2010, 06:20   #263
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review and yes its undoubtedly a 5-star thread.

I remember there was a limited edition alto 800 called something like X fun or something. It had brownish gray/beige dashboard which IMO looked quite good (quite something as am not a beige interior fan at all) and again in IMO similar dash+interior should had made an appearance in the Alto K10. Would had looked much more upmarket than that cheap gray considering that beige interiors is still considered a 'luxury' here.

Enough has already been said about this old car and after spending early morning hours reading all of this thread I hardly see anything that has not been discussed. From drivetrain to wheel cap designs, from impacts on other cars to 'dhantenan' adverts of the car.

Talking about adverts, I bet we all still remember those first ads of a red alto with a line in BOLD and Catchy Font.

Well, that old ad makes much more sense now:

"Hottest 'little' car in the town".

Regards.

Last edited by YC.BALENO.CHD : 7th August 2010 at 06:28.
YC.BALENO.CHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2010, 09:03   #264
BHPian

[quote=blackasta;2015293]Chop off 1 lakh and maybe the alto AT can see some sale. Anyways MSIL with its 3 speed AT box is single handedly responsible for imprinting the AT=Low FE figures in Indian public.

And please tell me in what way is the i10 AT overpriced?
Why does no other maker other than Hyundai offer a small AT hatch with all safety features at less than 5.5 lakhs?

Blackasta - No offence to anyone, I have always felt the I10 overpriced and never liked it. So does the AT version also. thats all

For the question you asked, answer lies in your post itself. Because of the low FE image among Indian public, the automakers do not want to try it.

But gradually I see more AT running on road nowadays and in Ten years down the line, I feel the Stick and ATs sale will be on par in India atleast in metros.
Old 7th August 2010, 13:44   #265

Default Booking

Saw this thread, went to the showroom in our area and checked it out today.

Planning to book one for my godfather tomorrow. No waiting period. Planning to upgrade to 165/60R13 Bridgestone Potenza RIII as suggested by one of the gurus to be the best fit for Alto. Looking to get alloys too(not yet finalized)

Quoted 3.8L OTR for Vxi; an 3.6L for Lxi. (Varun Motors, Habsiguda, Hyderabad)
Planning on a Black one with Black/Red interiors inc. seats.

Any more suggestions on upgrades/modifications would be greatly helpful.

Thanks in advance.
Intoxicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2010, 14:51   #266
BHPian

This is my first thread on T-BHP and I am trying my level best to keep it as simple and informative as possible. I am planning to book this hot hatch next week or so.

O.T: I currently own a 2004 model Zen- the last avatar(993cc MPFI all aluminium engine) after which Estilo came. After going trough this thread, I just feel great that there are so many Zen lovers like me.
Did a TD of the new Alto K10B right now and here are my observations. I did the TD on Vxi model of Alto K10B.

1. The first word I said as soon as I put in the first gear was "WOW". The pick up of this car is simply fabulous. As TheMag pointed out the acceleration in each gear is indeed great. I drove the car till approx 120kmph on NH-8 (This is one liberty that this great highway offers you) and the car responded very well in each gear. From the first gear till the top gear, there is no lag or any point wherein you feel that the car is lacking in power.

2. Switch on the AC and unlike the Alto 800, this car doesn't disappoint. There is no power lag with the AC switched on. The AC was very efficient cooling the cabin within 3-4 min, keeping in view the Gurgaon weather.

3. I felt the drivabililty of this car better than the Alto 800. I feel the new 3 spoke steering wheel is the reason behind this. And yes, you can spot the bonnet of the car while driving. This aids the driver while driving the car.

4. The gearbox change can also be felt immediately. This is a very good improvement over the Alto 800. The gear throws are short and I didn't feel the rubbery shifting of gears unlike the Alto 800.

5. The breaks of the car were a bit on the spongy side although effective. I feel Alto owners often drive within speed limit of 100kmph. WIthin this speed limit, the breaks will definitely serve the purpose although ABS would have been a welcome addition.

6. Regarding the cons of this car, there is a lot to desire as far as finish of the car is concerned. The rubber beading could be spotted coming out of the rear door. As pointed out in the prior posts, the panel gap of the glove box is indeed incosistent. the quality of plastics don't exhibit any confidence. The dashboard cavity which encompasses the instrument cluster was not neat. Edges of the brittle plastic on the inside of this cavity could be spotted here.

7. The parcel tray is a waste. The quality is way too pathetic. It is placed very low and hence decreases the boot space. Add to this, the rear speakers can only be accomodated in this parcel tray. These cannot be accomodated in the rear doors. So effectively, the boot space will be considerably reduced if this arrangement is used.

Looks are subjective and hence I will rather not comment on it. It depends on everyone's own taste.

Thanks,
Manish
headbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2010, 20:25   #267
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49
On my question of the availability of TD vehicle it was told that it is not there with Chennai ABT till to day.
Popular-AnnaNagar has a white TD car and a copper-K10 on display.

I did a TD today evening. Power availability is the main difference. And is noticed from the time you slot into 1st gear. A/c cooling was great. Gears slotted in smoothly - not as smooth as A-Star, but not bad.

While the car had Demo Car sticker on it, the odo/speedo was disconnected, dont know why. The engine malfunction light was on - not sure why.

BTW, Gansan, you are right. They are selling both versions of the LXi - 800cc and K10. I am guessing that MSIL thinks that most of the target segment will prefer the 800cc and won't be ready to shell out 45K extra for the new LXi and thus have retained the old model too.

They have stocks available for ready delivery.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2010, 20:45   #268
BHPian

Cars India, Cenetoph road also has a car on display and a White color AltoK10 for TD. People in and around Teynampet can visit cars India.

I have requested for TD tomorrow. Let me drive and provide my feedback/experience.
MutantX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2010, 23:02   #269
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome to T-Bhp Manish
Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
3. I felt the drivabililty of this car better than the Alto 800. I feel the new 3 spoke steering wheel is the reason behind this. And yes, you can spot the bonnet of the car while driving. This aids the driver while driving the car.
Steering hasn't got much to do with drive ability. drive ability is aided by engine's torque and gear ratios.
The steering does do the job of making you feel good wile steering and holding it.(Eg-- Linea/GP)

In case I am wrong here, please feel free to correct me.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2010, 04:01   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
Looking at the alto K10 snap, I a little surprised that the K10 VXI does not feature a day/night mirror, something similar to the Wagon-R VXI. Elsewhere on this forum, it was even suggested that the Wagon-R VXI day/night mirror could be fixed on the Alto.
It is available separately in the options list.

Check here-->..:: ALTO ACCESSORIES | CUSTOMIZE YOUR CAR WITH MARUTI GENUINE ACCESSORIES

Last edited by harishnair : 8th August 2010 at 04:04.
harishnair is offline   Reply With Quote