Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 12th August 2010, 16:18   #346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Quite interesting and one worth looking at. Maybe this is Maruti's way of selling the A* .
My thoughts exactly! At such a small price difference the A* is definitely a better buy, as it can also be a zippy car to drive.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 16:45   #347
BHPian

It's quite surprising that maruti designers are working overtime to upgrade their old badges. It is becoming obvious that Maruti is running short of ideas with new designs considering that A* and Ritz was a failure. New Wagon R, New Alto...come on man let the market get some new design.....not just some tweaks here and there. If you try to play with the price, then you will be pushed to some villages and towns along with the nano down the years.
Soumya_Ramesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 16:45   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Prices on the road in Chennai (ABT Maruti) LXi - Rs 355687.00, VXi Rs 370362.00
No discounts except a loyalty discount of Rs 10,000/- for existing customers.

Price of Alto 800 LXi after discount is Rs 312000 approx, so that makes the K10 LXi Rs 44000 dearer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
A Star LXi is Rs 389000 and VXi Rs 415000, after a discount of Rs 27000/-. A further flat discount of Rs 10,000 is applicable for all existing customers, irrespective of the model/variant chosen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBKS View Post
I compared K10 Vxi with A Star Lxi if you guys didnt notice. And also the Ex-Showrom price and nor OTR price. Only the advertised discounts are taken into consideration which are:
15K - Exchange Bonus
3K- Corporate discount
18K- Cash discount
This equals 36K + another 10K worth of Accessories

Ex-showroom of K10 Vxi: 3.16 lacs
Ex-showroom of AStar Lxi: 3.61 lacs with 3rd year warranty.

Now do the math....
Price on the road Chennai for K10 VXi = Rs 3,60,000 including loyalty discount.
For A* LXi it is Rs 3,79,000 including loyalty discount. If they throw in 10k worth of accessories, third year extended warranty and some corporate discount, A* LXi will make a lot of sense IMO.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 17:00   #349
MCR
BHPian

One point to remember is A* is a newer generation car. This means that latest technology is used. So A* is defenitely better as compared to Alto in general.
Other than this, the Alto K10 does not offer any impovement in seating comfort and space. The ergonomics are still the same. Infact the built-in headrests for the front seats are more of a hindrance. So for a person looking for a car in 4 lac range from Maruti stable, A* is still a better choice.

EDIT : I will list out a few reasons why I will not change my current Alto Lxi for Alto k10.

1. I donot need additional 20 horses for in-city running.
2. I can add foglamps any day on my current Alto.
3. I feel the integrated headrests as more of hindrance. it completely blocks the view for rear passengers.
4. I can add the parcel tray on my current Alto.
5. I get a in-city mileage of 17 in my current Alto. I am sure Alto k10 will not be much different.
6. I am more than happy to shift to 1st gear when my Alto is loaded and AC is on.
7. There is no leaps and bounds improvement in gear shift quality in Alto K10.
8. Cosmetic changes add no value to me.

Last edited by MCR : 12th August 2010 at 17:11. Reason: Added further
MCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 17:17   #350
BHPian

From the last few pages, it seems like k10 euphoria is slowly dying. And people are favoring A*. It will be interesting to see the K10 vs A* sales figures next month.
ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 17:29   #351
BHPian

ottocycle, I would also attribute this trend of favoring A* to the "Brand Image" of the car. Alto to many is still considered as a Budget hatch and A* as a premium hatch (- ofcourse it not but still, this is the general perception). Given a choice I would anyday buy an A* Lxi to Alto Vxi.
MutantX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 17:50   #352
BHPian

It would be better to compare Alto VXi with the A Star VXi offering. A Star is a brilliant overall car with some serious interior deficiencies, while the Alto K10 is more enthusiast friendly. Since most buyers in the range put family first, the A Star may actually see a upswing in sales after the Alto launch.

A masterstroke would be revising the A Star design to make it really i10 competitive. Liberate some more space, change the rear sloping hatch and Maruti has another winner on its hands.

The A star might also take bad roads better with a 170mm ground clearance as against Alto's 160mm.
u_chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 19:04   #353
Senior - BHPian

Had a look at K10 Alto, A-star, Eeco and Wagon R at Kiran motors, Vadodara.

My views :

1) Alto K-10. Feeling of spaciousness is very nice. The interiors have an airy feeling which helps for long distance trips.

2) Alto boot space is actually better than A-star both in shape, size and location. By location I mean that the boot is not very high, boot is not very low from sill level. In real world, loading and unloading heavy and/or odd shaped objects will be less difficult than in A-star.

3) A-star has got a solid feel to it. Something absent in Alto. Estilo feeling of solidity is lower than Alto. Alto feel at par with competition ( spark, Santro ) but thats it.

4) A-stars' rear seat is actually more comfortable than Alto, but the high waistline spoils the game. Not very good for long distance trips for rear passengers. Front passengers dont have such issue.

5) The dash is mounted very high so visibility is not as good as Alto.

6) You feel that you are sunken in the car which also has a positive point that you feel cocooned inside.

7) A-star has boot that is quite bit deeper than sill level and is very small.

8) Real hero is Wagon R. Wagon R comes across as a car with lots of space at front and rear plus boot is not disappointing either. All round visibility as we all know is very good, interiors are spacious with an airy feel. Very nice.

IMO, this is the overlap that is actually hampering A-star which will further be accunted by K10 Alto. Alto feels more spacious ( except boot its not more spacious than K10 Alto anywhere ) but overall A-star is better. If I were to pick either of Alto, Wagon R or A-star, I will go with A-star as its more modern, solid with better dynamics. My father gave opinion that Wagon R is most practical. But the best combination of almost all things a small car is expected to do at that price point are fulfilled by Alto.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 12th August 2010 at 19:07.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 22:39   #354
Distinguished - BHPian

Though the Car wasn't available for a dekko or TD(my friend is getting one), the sales guys are over-whelmed with the new Alto's response.
OT--
What would be a better buy, K10 LXi or Spark LS?
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 23:00   #355
BHPian

Thanks TheMag for that detailed and picturesque review
The pictures (as always speak a thousand words) showing comparisons were just perfect
As always one has to balance out everything to each ones needs and aspirations
choice is indeed good and informed choice is better
More reviews would be welcome to see actual on road performance issues
Yes Maruti should also start looking not just under the hood but inside where it actually sells itself
Today's buyer knows VFM and will pay that extra if it shows
Jerry68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 23:45   #356
BHPian

Guys guys guys....I think you all are missing the point in the discussion of Alto vs A-Star.

Alto still caters to the very basic entry level segment. The new redesigned Alto is a very good car. More spacious then the A-Star. Kudos to Maruti in preserving the characteristics of their best seller still making contemporary. Plus it has a new tag of the "Pocket Rocket" now.

Now back to the entry level segment. At a lower price point, Alto LXi model is offering the "Power Steering" extra. This makes a lot lot difference to the entry level segment.

I guess the strategy of Maruti is perfect. They will slowly phase out A-Star or come up with a new variant with better space or maybe make it just a twin seater(** Hope **).

This is my take on this.
VictorSinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 07:30   #357
Senior - BHPian

I don't belive it is worth payiny so much for this car. In my opinion the A Star is the way to go no matter how ugly some may find it. You get a brand new hatch from the international Suzuki stables with all the new safety features. Even if its not about safety the A Star is a car designed from scratch and every aspect about it is all new.

3+ lac for such an old design is not the way I would spend my hard earned money.
sandeepmohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 12:03   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I don't belive it is worth payiny so much for this car. In my opinion the A Star is the way to go no matter how ugly some may find it. You get a brand new hatch from the international Suzuki stables with all the new safety features. Even if its not about safety the A Star is a car designed from scratch and every aspect about it is all new.

3+ lac for such an old design is not the way I would spend my hard earned money.
On the contrary, I prefer some of the 'older' designs any day compared to some of the newer designs. I never liked the looks of the so-called 'contemporary' or 'modern' designs like A* and Beat. Besides, both of these case offer little or no boot space (something important for my family especially since we own only one car and we need some decent luggage space when we travel around) and both are reportedly claustrophobic specially in the rear seat.

The simple lines and curves of the Alto and Figo have appealed to me. Incidentally, both have generous and more importantly usable boot space for their specifications. Thankfully, none of these two cars have atrocious looking headlights or some cheap looking chrome fitments all over the place.

I'm glad Maruti has retained much of the looks of the Alto in the K10 and at the same time, updated it with the new K10 engine. For me, it is the best of both -- good and effective design with a good and effective engine.

My Choice? I would prefer an alto K10 anyday in comparison to the A*, even if the the A* VXI and Alto K10 VXI were priced the same. Given the popularity of India's best selling car, the Alto seems likely to outlive the A*, which has been struggling (by Maruti's sales standards) to appeal to customers here in India. Who knows, the Alto K10 may have a similar effect on the A* as the Maruti800 5-gear had on the Alto and the Alto VXI had on the Wagon R.

Come to think about it, Mauti now has 2 short/narrow cars (A* and Alto) and 2 tall/narrow cars (Estillo and Wagon R) within the Rs 4 L barrier). It would have been nice if Maruti had a short/wide car within this segment.

These are my views and not many may agree to them.
misquitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 12:49   #359
BHPian

Hi, my friend was interested in the Alto K10 LXI as he has no interest in the extra fitments of the VXI. What, however, is of interest to him is the tachometer, which is not present in the LXI. He says the difference between the K10 LXI and VXI is about Rs 16000 here in Goa (LXI- Rs 3.46L and VXI- Rs 3.6L)

Now, is it possible that he could buy the LXI and have the VXi instrument pod (with the tachometer) inserted in his LXI before he takes delivery? How much would a VXI tachometer cost? Even if it is about Rs 4000, the Rs 10,000 saved could be on other accessories more useful to him.

Advice on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by misquitas : 13th August 2010 at 12:58.
misquitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 12:51   #360
Senior - BHPian

I can see that people are fighting over which is better car. I guess its a wrong debate. what Maruti has done is they have given various options to the customers to choose from in the 3-4 Lac bracket. All these cars are with same engine but models are different to peoples liking. I like Alto & Wagon R, but other may like Estilo or A star. People can buy whatever they want, at the end of the day its Maruti who is winning the game. Others dont have these many options in these entry level market.
aniketi is offline   Reply With Quote