Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 13th August 2010, 13:07   #361
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
I can see that people are fighting over which is better car. I guess its a wrong debate. what Maruti has done is they have given various options to the customers to choose from in the 3-4 Lac bracket. All these cars are with same engine but models are different to peoples liking. I like Alto & Wagon R, but other may like Estilo or A star. People can buy whatever they want, at the end of the day its Maruti who is winning the game. Others dont have these many options in these entry level market.
True. Could not had agreed more with what you just posted. It has been Maruti's strategy in recent past to offer so many choices in the same segments that eventually the buyer may not look at models from other manufacturer. In short it is to confuse the buyer. And Maruti is happy as long as long as the buyer opts for anything from Maruti. It did the same when it launched the Ritz. To tap customers shying away from swift and going for i10.

I know its not fair comparing two wheelers with four wheelers but basically this is what Hero Honda has been doing with most of its bikes. It has bikes with similar engines and other mechanicals in the same segment. Of late Bajaj too has opted for this strategy by offering a wide range of Pulsar and Discover variants.

So its quite similar with Maruti. You want a tall boy, one may choose between Estilo and WagonR. One wants something sporty but cheaper than Swift, it has A-star. And for those who want a tried and tested product but not with that age old F8 motor..they have the Alto K10.

Regards.

Last edited by YC.BALENO.CHD : 13th August 2010 at 13:08.
YC.BALENO.CHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 18:14   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
I can see that people are fighting over which is better car. I guess its a wrong debate. what Maruti has done is they have given various options to the customers to choose from in the 3-4 Lac bracket. All these cars are with same engine but models are different to peoples liking. I like Alto & Wagon R, but other may like Estilo or A star. People can buy whatever they want, at the end of the day its Maruti who is winning the game. Others dont have these many options in these entry level market.
Same feeling here too...
The Alto K10 fills the void in 3-4 lakh range and would surely appeal to those who are looking for entry car but a powerfull rocket.i drive a zen(carb) and love its absolutely pocket rocket feel(without a/c).Maruthi also need to keep away customers perception of alto being cheap entry segment car.(like tata had to with its INDICA and not being able to attract potential customers)

but maruthi doesn't seem to be learning anything on the interiors front.same old cheap plastics,boring interiors and poor color combination.i thought the swift would propel maruthi into providing better interiors for all other cars too but that doesnt seem to be the case .

however it remains to be seen what move other manufacturers make in response.A TATA Vista in this range
racerme? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2010, 19:21   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotraveller View Post
Exactly my thoughts. If I am shelling out 3.6L for alto ... why not I upgrade to the bigger Estilo/wagon-R/i10/A-star for a few thousands more.

Agreed it's a pocket rocket and all, but it's expensive for a typical alto-buyer. I doubt that this would generate much volume for maruti .... they shd have priced it below-3L.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankaranand View Post
Let me try and add to your confusion

Indica Vista Terra Saffire 1.2 L engine, class leading space and good interiors compared to alto/santro.
1.2 Ltr engine, with 16+ ARAI fuel efficiency.
Ex show Room: Rs.358,229.00
Discounts : 30000+

It comes at hardly 10000 extra compared to Alto k10 vxi. Much more Value for the money you are spending.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
We can always add the Chevy Spark LS for more confusion!!!! Comes up to approx 3,40,000 on road with 18kmpl!!!!! With front PW and 3 years maintenance package.
My thoughts are on similar lines as well. Did a TD of the K10 at Rana Motors Delhi yesterday, the engine is peppy alright but far, very very far from the silky smoothness of the old Zen. If one is paying a premium over the regular 800 cc Alto and still getting an inherently vibration prone and raspy 3 pot motor (by virtue of its being a 3cyl engine) why not go for a comparitively much smoother and spacious Santro/Spark/Vista or the slightly further up Micra/Beat. Unless of course one is obsessed with all things maruti and is hell bent on staying within the maruti well! Wake up guys there's life outside.
windiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2010, 22:55   #364
Senior - BHPian

The Zen was a four cylinder thin walled aluminum cast block of space age technology of that time. Silky smooth, in fact at times I felt that my '96 Zen revved smoother than my '98 OHC. That old darling is still in active duty having turned its odometer over once and is nearing another turnaround with the digits now in the high 80s. Apart from that the driving ergonomics of the Zen are spot on. Every thing falls easily to the hand and works like a dream. The feel of the switches, the gear shift, pedals geometry, all around visibility, the supremely comfortable and supportive front seats, oh boy it is a car complete in all respects. Aptly named too, driving the Zen is like experiencing a slice of Nirvana. Comparing the Alto K10 with the Zen is blasphemy IMO.

That said the K10 again is a leap over the old 3 pots with Maruti cast on their head plates. However, I feel no infact I believe that my first car an M800 bought second hand from a tea estate manager with an original Suzuki block was still smoother than the K10 or K series in general and if Alto's production/engine development team had taken that block as a benchmark we would have had something extra special to drool over.

Last edited by khoj : 14th August 2010 at 23:03.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 00:11   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
The Zen was a four cylinder thin walled aluminum cast block of space age technology of that time. Silky smooth, in fact at times I felt that my '96 Zen revved smoother than my '98 OHC. That old darling is still in active duty having turned its odometer over once and is nearing another turnaround with the digits now in the high 80s. Apart from that the driving ergonomics of the Zen are spot on. Every thing falls easily to the hand and works like a dream. The feel of the switches, the gear shift, pedals geometry, all around visibility, the supremely comfortable and supportive front seats, oh boy it is a car complete in all respects. Aptly named too, driving the Zen is like experiencing a slice of Nirvana.
Dear Khoj- You are really tempting me to get one now. Dont want to deviate from the discussion as was contemplating between the OHC 1.3 and the slightly newer zen. Surprisingly they come at close price points
Missed a colleagues meticulous bachelor owned one. the rear seats were virtually unused.

Last edited by kavesh55 : 15th August 2010 at 00:12.
kavesh55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 01:29   #366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
Dear Khoj- You are really tempting me to get one now. Dont want to deviate from the discussion as was contemplating between the OHC 1.3 and the slightly newer zen. Surprisingly they come at close price points
Missed a colleagues meticulous bachelor owned one. the rear seats were virtually unused.
Yes, virtually unused is right. In a bachelor's Zen the rear can get a little cramped but the front left is ideal for two Ahem! Carrying on.
If you are getting a Zen then the newer examples came with fuel injection but smaller wheels which is easily rectified. Do look out for rust around the wiper mounts and the under body panels. While the body panels can be taken care of easily but the sheet metal around the wiper mounts if found rusted/repaired is best left alone. Just thought I would share that with you, all the best in your quest.
Old 15th August 2010, 13:10   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
Hi, my friend was interested in the Alto K10 LXI as he has no interest in the extra fitments of the VXI. What, however, is of interest to him is the tachometer, which is not present in the LXI. He says the difference between the K10 LXI and VXI is about Rs 16000 here in Goa (LXI- Rs 3.46L and VXI- Rs 3.6L)

Now, is it possible that he could buy the LXI and have the VXi instrument pod (with the tachometer) inserted in his LXI before he takes delivery? How much would a VXI tachometer cost? Even if it is about Rs 4000, the Rs 10,000 saved could be on other accessories more useful to him.

Advice on this would be appreciated. Thanks.
No dealer is going to get a vxi instrument cluster and put it in the lxi. very unlikely atleast. If they do oblige the cost of the cluster will be more than 16k for sure. If the diff is just 16k go for it, resale value will also be better when the time comes
53BHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 13:31   #368
BHPian

In cost of K10 Alto-VXI-Metallic is
Mumbai: 3,75723
Navi Mumbai:362345.

Now at this cost I could get an pre-owned Honda City 2005 model or ZEN-VXI -2005 model at 2.25l approx or Baleno -2005/2006 at Rs.2.75L-3.00L

If I'm primarily looking for a second car with Fun to drive and peppy engine then i get
1. a new car with killer power/weight ratio with lot of options to do mods.
2. Comfortable city driving,
3. Ease to park,
4. Mileage of 20kmpl,
all this for 3.6L looks very tempting.

The dealer here in Navi Mumbai does not have car for TD . Guys anyone in Mumbai who has got the New K10 TD done. The Automotive guy in Navi Mumbai told that they are awaiting some official letter from Maruti which allows them to register the TD car. I'm not sure how far it is true.
mkpiyengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 15:43   #369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Comparing the Alto K10 with the Zen is blasphemy IMO.
That is very well said.
Zen is probably the best car maruti has ever produced.
Performance was good. Handling was extremely precise. Visibility excellent.
Rear seat may be a bit cramped but the rear windows were awesome.

If you are looking for a ZEN replacement it is figo. Not K10.

But looking at it other way round. Paying 20K more over 800cc. for 1000cc is not a bad bargain. Yea I would definately like a 4 pot. What about 1200cc Alto for another 20K more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
Hi, my friend was interested in the Alto K10 LXI as he has no interest in the extra fitments of the VXI. What, however, is of interest to him is the tachometer, which is not present in the LXI. He says the difference between the K10 LXI and VXI is about Rs 16000 here in Goa (LXI- Rs 3.46L and VXI- Rs 3.6L)

Now, is it possible that he could buy the LXI and have the VXi instrument pod (with the tachometer) inserted in his LXI before he takes delivery? How much would a VXI tachometer cost? Even if it is about Rs 4000, the Rs 10,000 saved could be on other accessories more useful to him.

Advice on this would be appreciated. Thanks.
Get an aftermarket tachometer. and fit it on the dash.
Like RITZ.

Last edited by Dippy : 18th August 2010 at 00:14. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use the multi quote option.
oxyzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 22:28   #370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post

If you are looking for a ZEN replacement it is figo. Not K10.
In What way? Performance from FIGO (both petrol & TDCI) can be at best classified as strictly AVERAGE (Zen was both a rally as well as a track favourite), inspite of being only 1.2 Ltr Mileage of the petrol FIGO is nowhere near class topping (Zen was a mileage champ), Handling has been made much more neutral than its siblings (Fiesta/Ikon) maybe in interest of making it a more family oriented vehicle , Design is outdated (FUSION body panels with a nose job) , Zen with its jelly bean styling was a generation ahead of its contemporaries. The only similarity I can seen between a Zen & a FIGO is maybe the fact that both are not Tall boys.

Nyways coming back to the BIG ISSUE of K10 or ASTAR, I think things have become a little more complicated now with the launch of the A-Star AUTOMATIC today. And adding a little more spice into the F8-K10 debate is the introduction of the Alto CNG.

Maruti is sure pulling out all stops by launching variants aimed at targetting individual needs. @Sidindica/Mag, please do give us a TD of Astar AUTO and SX4 CNG.
gitartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 22:36   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitartha View Post
@Sidindica/Mag, please do give us a TD of Astar AUTO and SX4 CNG.
Astar AT has been test driven by Ajmat.
The report is here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...road-test.html
blackasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 22:42   #372
BANNED

Hello Team,

I'm planning to gift a car to my son on his b'day which falls on middle of next month. My options are Alto K-10, Hyundai i-10 and Santro Xing. I would appreciate if you guys help me in arriving at a conclusion.

These are the major features I am concentrating on,
Preference:
- Easy parking.
- Hassle free driving in traffic.
- Performance.
GreenDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 01:23   #373
Senior - BHPian

Hello GreenDaddy oops sorry GreenDay

I will surely help you arrive at a decision but only if you adopt me first. My birthday is fast approaching

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDay View Post
Hello Team,

I'm planning to gift a car to my son on his b'day which falls on middle of next month. My options are Alto K-10, Hyundai i-10 and Santro Xing. I would appreciate if you guys help me in arriving at a conclusion.

Preference:
- Easy parking.
- Performance.
Looking at your interests and at the list above the new Reva sounds like a good choice. I am presuming that by performance you do mean good mileage and not VROOOM!

Last edited by khoj : 16th August 2010 at 01:24.
Old 16th August 2010, 07:25   #374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Team,

Preference:
- Easy parking.
- Performance.

Sir,
going by your requirements I'll suggest you to choose between K-10 or the i10 kappa as per your budget. Also, if going for i10, why not opt for the variant with ABS and airbags??

Avoid Santro or the i10 with 1.1 irde engine. When you are investing your hard earned money in a product, why not go for the ones with newer and better technology?

Both the engines;Kappa and K10 or very much modern and offer decent performance and fuel efficiency. Worth the extra money over i10 1.1 and alto 800 respectively.

Also have a look at A-star ZXi. Has some good discounts on offer.
Same engine as that of the Alto K-10. Good performance and excellent fuel economy. Plus, it has twin airbags and ABS.
Only major grouse is the lack of rear space which should not be much of an issue unless your son has a lot of friends regularly travelling with him on long journeys.

Regards.

Last edited by YC.BALENO.CHD : 16th August 2010 at 07:42.
YC.BALENO.CHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 10:49   #375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Team,

Preference:
- Easy parking.
- Performance.
Got my Alto K10 last Sunday. To answer your concerns
a) Parking - One of the smallest turning circles, just like the Maruti 800
b) Hassle Free Driving - Drove the Alto in Delhi Rush hour traffic : GK to Noida both in morning and evening. 45 min average to cover 15km!.No hassle.
c) Performance - will blow the competition away. This is light car 760kg compared to 800 to 900 of the competition. Couple it with 67 HP engine and 5 speed gear box it just zips through.

Other plus points
a) AC - one of best ones I have seen in this segment. It beats my Esteem MPFI easily and comes near the Baleno. Has to be tested in the 45 degree Delhi heat, but in the stop and go traffic it was terrific.
b) Seating - The front seats can be pushed almost to the rear seats. This gives the Alto K10 well above front legroom in a two-seater configuration.
c) The best mileage in its class. In the terrible traffic with AC on my first tank full gave 15.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote