Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 16th November 2010, 23:51   #466
BHPian

great review...and I agree with everything you wrote...I just bought a K10 vxi and have been driving it ever since ... it has heady power for its size and apart from the NVH levels being a little high (you can even hear little pebbles knocking your chassis), i am liking it so far. i want to upsize the tyres from 155 to 165 and also coat the underbelly with rubber/teflon, if possible.

the best thing about it is the torque at low speeds... with three people inside, in third gear, I came down to around 10 kmph... didn't have to downshift from there...just floored the accelerator and it picked up like a decent diesel vehicle!

am glad to have purchased this petrol vehicle after many years of diesel. it is good fun.

about the poor gearshift quality you mention... I drive a Bolero on a daily basis, so I find the Alto K10 gears butter-smooth... I just take it out for a spin for no reason without my wife knowing about it (it's her car)... enamoured is the word
Oreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 09:54   #467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
I can't understand the pricing of this car, for 3.60 lac on road, the K10 alto is priced even above the 4 cyl, 1.2 ltr Chevy Beat which is square in Ritz territory. Beat's power and torque outputs are within hair's breadth of Ritz/Swift as well.
This is news to me. How much does the Beat cost? If true, then the Spark must be even cheaper, equal to the price of an Alto LXi 800?
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 12:52   #468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
I can't understand the pricing of this car, for 3.60 lac on road, the K10 alto is priced even above the 4 cyl, 1.2 ltr Chevy Beat which is square in Ritz territory. Beat's power and torque outputs are within hair's breadth of Ritz/Swift as well.
In Delhi
Beat is between 3.6 and 4.6L ex-showroom
Spark is between 3.19 and 4.25L ex-showroom

Thus the Alto K10 price ties with only the lower end variants, but being lighter gives excellent performance compared to all its competitors.

The A Star and Ritz are exported under Chevy badge to Europe.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 16:08   #469
Senior - BHPian

Even after months of launch I am not seeing any Alto K10s in Bangalore. But as I mentioned in my previous post it is selling like hot cakes in Kerala. Also spotted many new Wagon R s there.
Latheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 20:10   #470
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreen View Post
the best thing about it is the torque at low speeds... with three people inside, in third gear, I came down to around 10 kmph... didn't have to downshift from there...just floored the accelerator and it picked up like a decent diesel vehicle!
I wonder if we are talking of the same car! I must have got a lemon!

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 23:24   #471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
I wonder if we are talking of the same car! I must have got a lemon!

Regards
Sutripta
did i exaggerate? it must have been down to 20 kmph or so...
Oreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 10:15   #472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreen View Post
i want to upsize the tyres from 155 to 165 and also coat the underbelly with rubber/teflon, if possible.

Upsizing tyres will require a wider rim, which may foul the stearing. I have exchanged the stock with Michelin XM1, 155/65. The difference is amazing. The car just sticks to the road and braking is spot on.

In my case, the car would struggle from 10 kmph in third. It is possible but not very practical. As the torque peaks are at 1500 and 2500 rpm, my style is to rev the engine rather than go for low rpm. I normally go till 30 in first, 60-80 in second and then directly to fifth if on highway.

With AC on, I normally move to 1st below 20 in rush hour traffic.
Old 18th November 2010, 10:29   #473
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
my style is to rev the engine rather than go for low rpm. I normally go till 30 in first, 60-80 in second and then directly to fifth if on highway.
I am flabbergasted. This is my reaction--

@Mods--Please delete this post if it doesn't cut in, but sometimes pictures do better than talking.
Attached Images

Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 14:09   #474
BHPian

With all the added power - Maruti should also have invested some time and effort in making the car safer (ABS / Airbags even !). The only thing they seem to have done is made the hood longer and hope that since the driver / passenger sit a coupla inches further behind, they would be safer lol. On a serious note - its time Maruti takes passenger safety as top priority.
calm_cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 20:01   #475
BHPian

Quote:

The A Star and Ritz are exported under Chevy badge to Europe.
As far as i know A-Star is called as Suzuki Alto in Europe and there is another vehicle called Opel Agile which has its first generation running in since the year 2000 which is badged as Ritz in India.

Could not understand how do you relate chevy with these?

Last edited by informmaha : 19th November 2010 at 20:02.
informmaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 22:08   #476
Distinguished - BHPian

Nissans Pixo is contract manufactured by Maruti in India for Nissan. Esssentially an A Star.

The old Zen was also exported from here.

GM used to rebadge some Suzukis. These were not manufactured here. eg. The Agila (old Wagon R, now Ritz) was manufactured in Eastern Europe.

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 19th November 2010 at 22:10.
Old 14th December 2010, 18:28   #477

Default New buy on a shoestring budget: Maruti Alto K10 Vs Alto 800

I have been looking around the various great threads here for long, but this is probably my 2nd post.

I am about to make a purchase decision. I was thinking of getting a 2nd hand car within 1.6-1.7 lacs, which is not more than 3-4 years old, due to budget constraints. However, we ave now changed the idea, as we are not much aware of the car nitty gritties and may get a bad deal for used cars.

Now, consider that we have a low budget, prefereably within 3L-ish, the car will mostly be used for city commutes, and both me and wifey (she will use it more) being new drivers, I have the following queries:
  1. Supposing I am ready to spend the extra bucks for Alto K10, should I seriously consider a Tyre upgrade for better grip?
  2. What - given the scenario above - should justify the extra payment for K10? Note that now Alto 800 is being discounted seriously and K10 models are not, and the difference I am getting is about 50K.
  3. I plan to keep this car for 4-5 years before moving to the next one. Would having an Alto 800 hamper the resale to a considerable extent? My thought is that it should not, as the difference should thin out over years and may not be substantial.
  4. Would you say that Alto K10 is comparatively unsafe as it is better equipped for speed without substantial addition in safety front? Consider that both of us are new drivers.
  5. Is there any other obvious point that I may have missed?
Sorry if the questions are a bit stupid, but I am not really into cars, so please excuse . Many thanks in advance for your responses!
soleinkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 22:42   #478
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: New buy on a shoestring budget: Maruti Alto K10 Vs Alto 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by soleinkol View Post
I have been looking around the various great threads here for long, but this is probably my 2nd post.

I am about to make a purchase decision. I was thinking of getting a 2nd hand car within 1.6-1.7 lacs, which is not more than 3-4 years old, due to budget constraints. However, we ave now changed the idea, as we are not much aware of the car nitty gritties and may get a bad deal for used cars.

Now, consider that we have a low budget, prefereably within 3L-ish, the car will mostly be used for city commutes, and both me and wifey (she will use it more) being new drivers, I have the following queries:
  1. Supposing I am ready to spend the extra bucks for Alto K10, should I seriously consider a Tyre upgrade for better grip?
  2. What - given the scenario above - should justify the extra payment for K10? Note that now Alto 800 is being discounted seriously and K10 models are not, and the difference I am getting is about 50K.
  3. I plan to keep this car for 4-5 years before moving to the next one. Would having an Alto 800 hamper the resale to a considerable extent? My thought is that it should not, as the difference should thin out over years and may not be substantial.
  4. Would you say that Alto K10 is comparatively unsafe as it is better equipped for speed without substantial addition in safety front? Consider that both of us are new drivers.
Sorry if the questions are a bit stupid, but I am not really into cars, so please excuse . Many thanks in advance for your responses!
Hi,
I think you should look at the Alto 800, or the Spark. I don't think the advantages/ differences of the K10 are relevant to you.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 15th December 2010, 09:03   #479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soleinkol View Post
My Alto K10 Vxi cost me 3.5L on the road in Delhi, plus 4K for tyre upgrade and 1K for accessories. I think that it would be less in Kolkata
1. Tyre upgrade is desirable for all cars you buy, as the OEM tyres are not as good as replacements. And generally for small hatches you pay maximum 1K/tyre, while the benefits in longer life and better performance is worth much more.
2. In Delhi newspapers discounts for the K10 are around 12K, while for 800 are 30K. The added cost of K10 would give you an excellent AC and a peppier performance.
3. MUL cars have an excellent resale, so there should be not much difference in drop in value of either variant.
4. For city driving both are equally safe. There is slightly more space in the front engine compartment of K10, so damage in case of a head on crash at low speeds may be less.
5. With a more modern engine, the K10 would give you a marginal edge in the FE. Plus the service (and oil change) interval in K10 is 10K kilometers, so you will save some money in service costs.

Please keep in mind that the Alto is the model that has evolved over the last 25 years - M800 -> Zen -> Alto -> AltoK10 -> A Star, hence the basic vehicle is same in terms of size, but each generation has been modernised in terms of engine, shape and equipment. I would prefer to go for a modern version provided the economics are right.
Old 15th December 2010, 09:42   #480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The added cost of K10 would give you an excellent AC and a peppier performance.
With a more modern engine, the K10 would give you a marginal edge in the FE. Plus the service (and oil change) interval in K10 is 10K kilometers, so you will save some money in service costs.
The AC effect is very good in both versions, but the K10 has more power to handle the AC.

There may be a slight edge in FE, but service / oil change interval is 10K KM for the 800 cc version as well.

Buy the Alto K10 if you want the zippy performance. For a point A to Point B car, the Alto 800 is excellent.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote