Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 28th February 2011, 18:52   #496
BHPian

Default re: 2010 Maruti Alto K10 : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by soleinkol View Post
I found the following issues, which seemed very inconvenient/irritating:
  1. Only the front doors have the light, though I saw the switch positions available for the rear doors. The switches can be fixed separately within 100-150 Rs at an accessories shop.
  2. On the rear side where the seat belt cables are fastened behind the rear seat passengers on the metal, that part is exposed metal. If you're seeing a bare boltnut on the C-Pillar just behind the rear passenger seat, then you surely are missing the black plastic cladding.
  3. Any idea of the cost of lighters outside and MGA lighter? I'm unsure of their stock status though, and they said they will get me an MGA Left side ORVM in not less than 2 months . Also is there anyone who has used this in a car? How is it? MGA lighter = 450Rs & Xenos lighter= 150-200Rs. Manual left ORVM costs 350+taxes. I am currently using both ORVM & lighter socket & they work just fine. Be sure to get ORVM of Schefenacker make as that is the original make & is of high quality.
  4. Only one key lock on the driver's side! If we need to park in a snug place, where the driver's door would fall on the wrong side, the driver will be able to come out, but can't get back in! You mean to say that there is only one keyhole in the BS4 Alto? the ones I've seen have keyhole on both front doors.
All these things cost less than 500Rs to the End user. They might probably cost even less to Maruti. But, it still skimps on these bare essentials. The Alto BS4 doesn't even come with wheelcaps or mudflaps as standard.
JustCause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 17:51   #497

Thanks JustCause!

The one I've got is only having a keyhole on the driver's side. During 1st service, the SA showed 2 other Altos which had come for service and those were also having driver side keyhole only. This is really inconvenient!

When I was fixing seat covers, the accessories guy was talking about the lighter from Xenos. Would using Xenos have any impact on my warranty?

About the light switches for back doors, I think I'll wait for central locking setup. However, the accessories guy also told me that setting the light would be better during central lock setup - probably he did not want to say what you said b'cos C'lock would be some business for him, not the one you suggested .

I have already ordered MGA left ORVM at Machino Techno Sales at Park Circus, Kolkata during my 1st service, so that's closed.

And many thanks for all your advise.

Please note on cars, and eager to learn from this board.
soleinkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 19:44   #498
BHPian

Hi,

I've had my K10 for a couple of weeks now. I have done about 450 km so far. It is a breeze to take this around the city. It is so peppy - reminds me of the days I rode a bike. In the city, I can do a few things safely in a K10 that I dare not try with my other car. I'm eager to take this to a highway (though I've another FTD car for that).

A few things I noticed:

1. Sometimes I find the car just taking off abruptly when I start moving in first gear. This doesn't happen to me when I'm driving other cars. I guess it is about getting used to the clutch.
2. I do find the power drop to be significant when I switch on the AC in the external circulation mode.
3. One needs to really bang the doors to shut them (except for the driver's door). The SA told me to get this fixed during the first service. I wonder why the car can't be shipped with the fix in the first place.
4. I miss the light switches on the rear doors. Glad to note these can be fixed at an additional cost. This is one of the many instances of cost-cutting seen in the car.
5. The horn sounds okay at times. Most times it feels like someone who has lost his voice. I plan to upgrade to a dual horn.
6. Wish it came with a better driver's seat. I'm not able to find a comfortable back rest position.
CBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 20:25   #499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soleinkol View Post
Thanks JustCause!

Would using Xenos have any impact on my warranty?
However, the accessories guy also told me that setting the light would be better during central lock setup

And many thanks for all your advise.
please note on cars, and eager to learn from this board.
Xenos will not have any impact per se on your warranty as long as you ensure proper wiring with fuse for the lighter circuit in the fuse box. Don't allow him to make 'direct' connection as he will probably cut wires & that will void warranty on electricals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
A few things I noticed:

1. Sometimes I find the car just taking off abruptly when I start moving in first gear.
This is due to the sudden clutch actuation . The front end hops like a rabbit while starting from traffic signals. It's the same on K10 too. While being inconvenient, I don't think it is a mechanical defect in the car.
2. I do find the power drop to be significant when I switch on the AC in the external circulation mode.

It isn't as significant in K10 as it is in the old one. Yes, you feel that the engine is holding you back. You can get air filters checked for blockage or optionally, opt for a high flow stock replacement filter.

4. This is one of the many instances of cost-cutting seen in the car.
I was surprised when I found out that BS4 Altos & K10s (LXi) were being sold with mudflaps as an optional extra.

6. Wish it came with a better driver's seat. I'm not able to find a comfortable back rest position.
I agree with you on this one. The back support on the 800cc was better than it is in the K10
JustCause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2011, 20:16   #500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A few things I noticed:

1. Sometimes I find the car just taking off abruptly when I start moving in first gear. This doesn't happen to me when I'm driving other cars. I guess it is about getting used to the clutch.
3. One needs to really bang the doors to shut them (except for the driver's door). The SA told me to get this fixed during the first service. I wonder why the car can't be shipped with the fix in the first place.
4. I miss the light switches on the rear doors. Glad to note these can be fixed at an additional cost. This is one of the many instances of cost-cutting seen in the car.
5. The horn sounds okay at times. Most times it feels like someone who has lost his voice. I plan to upgrade to a dual horn.
2. Though there is some drop, it is as much as was there in my Esteem MPFI. Anyway the drop in power disappears after 55-60km/hr region.
5. I agree that the horn is anemic.

Some more

7. There are no mud flaps supplied.
8. There are no light switches on the hatch door.
9. There is no day/night internal mirror. I tried to get one but it is always out-of-stock!
10. Though the doors lock/unlock in synch with the drivers doors, they do not when you actuate the other doors. MUL could have easily enabled the feature on all the doors.
11. There is no provision for factory fitted electric windows for the rear doors.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2011, 17:15   #501

Hi all
This is my first post here though I am a member for a long time now. We bought a Sunrise Copper Alto K10 Vxi for my wife 15 days ago.It is a gem of a car. I also own a Baleno and the acceleration curve is comparable, though a bit lesser naturally given the small engine. I love to take it to my office as it is very easy to maneuver in city traffic. But that does not happen often as wifey refuses to allow me to do it often! Once a week seems reasonable demand. We took a drive from "Mumbai to Nashik (Sula wines), about 180 km one way and it was a revealation to us of the fun driving this pocket rocket. With five people on board and AC on we could take the ghats at 90-100 with no feeling of loss of acceleration. On the way back we kept making a Corolla jealous by racing against it for an hour before we graciously allowed it to go its own way. Surprisingly my car has rear door ajar lights. The horn is of course like a two wheeler and nobody bothers to move aside when you honk.
ShantanuMarathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 00:09   #502
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Alto K10s are selling like hot cakes I guess.

I noticed that in chennai, I am trying to find a person who has newly purchased a regular Alto for time since K10 was launched. I am yet to find one.

Every new Alto I see is a K10. Not sure how the trend is on other cities. Does anyone have sales break up of K10 Vs Normal vehicle? I am guessing it should be 90 to 10 ratio..
xingamazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 10:51   #503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Alto K10s are selling like hot cakes I guess.

I noticed that in chennai, I am trying to find a person who has newly purchased a regular Alto for time since K10 was launched. I am yet to find one.

Every new Alto I see is a K10. Not sure how the trend is on other cities. Does anyone have sales break up of K10 Vs Normal vehicle? I am guessing it should be 90 to 10 ratio..
Alto was selling 20k/month, and now it has gone up to 30+, and it seems reasonable to attribute at least the difference to the K10 sales, though industry pegs it at more Maruti Alto K10 Is Fastest Selling Car
Old 25th March 2011, 16:04   #504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShantanuMarathe View Post
Surprisingly my car has rear door ajar lights.
These guys are up to some random cost cutting measures. My K10 VXi doesn't have these switches on the rear door. My car has a key access on the passenger door, while some others here say they don't. It's pathetic the way they are trying to skimp on basic stuff in a Rs. 4L car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
9. There is no day/night internal mirror. I tried to get one but it is always out-of-stock!
Is any such mirror available for the K10 as an accessory? How much does it cost? The dealers here say that one cannot fit a day night mirror on the K10!

Last edited by CBlazer : 25th March 2011 at 16:08.
CBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 18:03   #505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
These guys are up to some random cost cutting measures. My K10 VXi doesn't have these switches on the rear door. My car has a key access on the passenger door, while some others here say they don't. It's pathetic the way they are trying to skimp on basic stuff in a Rs. 4L car.

Is any such mirror available for the K10 as an accessory? How much does it cost? The dealers here say that one cannot fit a day night mirror on the K10!
1. The wiring is there, the switches are not. I got my switches fixed at one dealer in Delhi, it was a ten minute job for the rear doors.
2. The central locking in my K10 works only from the driver door - key as well as the door lock, and not from the passenger door (which is simply disabled as the wiring is there)

The mirror is listed at the site ..:: ALTO ACCESSORIES | CUSTOMIZE YOUR CAR WITH MARUTI GENUINE ACCESSORIES, but it was always out of stock. The part is same for Alto 800 and some shops had it but at 1100, while the dealer price was 600 or so.
Old 25th March 2011, 22:34   #506
Senior - BHPian

Hello people,

Our Alto k10(bought december '10) has completed 5,000 kms and has finished its second service.

There has been no rattling of any sort even though an almost 50-60 km travelling daily.
Except the a bit loose rear left door(requires a firmer push than others)

Daily commute from work to home comprises of 60%-30 kmph start stop heavy traffic,and 40% faster expressway,bridge and flyover use,with AC used only during afternoons(50% of the time).Is chauffeur driven 100% time and was well run in.

Average returned till now is 14kmpl using tank to tank method.Is this satisfactory?
avishar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 09:40   #507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Hello people,

Our Alto k10(bought december '10) has completed 5,000 kms and has finished its second service.

There has been no rattling of any sort even though an almost 50-60 km travelling daily.
Except the a bit loose rear left door(requires a firmer push than others)

Daily commute from work to home comprises of 60%-30 kmph start stop heavy traffic,and 40% faster expressway,bridge and flyover use,with AC used only during afternoons(50% of the time).Is chauffeur driven 100% time and was well run in.

Average returned till now is 14kmpl using tank to tank method.Is this satisfactory?
I am doing mostly 1-3 km shopping trips, with one 30-40km trip per tank. Since August I have clocked only 2,200km. I am on my 7th tank full and have got 12.11, 11.68, 13.57, 14.06 and 14.98 average per tank full. The first two were in intense traffic with full AC, and the last two without AC. So I think that your average is slightly less than what is warranted by your driving cycle.
Old 26th March 2011, 19:25   #508
Senior - BHPian

@aroy When the car went for service they assured that the FE was fine.Thanks for the reply.I think maybe the tyre pressures should be checked.

Also i feel that that the Ac is quite weak.Has to be put on the highest setting to get things cooled down.
avishar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 21:08   #509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
@aroy When the car went for service they assured that the FE was fine.Thanks for the reply.I think maybe the tyre pressures should be checked.

Also i feel that that the Ac is quite weak.Has to be put on the highest setting to get things cooled down.
My AC is fine. It is better than my Esteem. Yes being a small unit, you have to pre-cool the car if it has been standing in the sun. Open the windows and drive with fan on (in recirculating mode) till the air blown has cooled to the ambient. Then close the windows and switch the AC on, the AC will cool the car fast. I normally use blower setting 2 when alone. With full load it is at 4 initially, but after five minutes down to 3 and then 2.

I had changed to Michelin tyres the first day, and till date the tyre pressure is fine. I normally drive with 30 psi all round.
Old 26th March 2011, 23:09   #510
BHPian

Quote:
These guys are up to some random cost cutting measures. My K10 VXi doesn't have these switches on the rear door.
When we bought the Alto LXI in 2008, I had noticed that our rear doors did not have door ajar switches, while other Alto LXI cars elsewhere in the country had these switches (team-bhp members had confirmed this at the time). Before I took delivery of the car, I got the technicians to install these switches (about Rs 30 apiece) and it has been working perfectly since.

Having recently purchased the I10 (we also own the Alto LXI), I have experienced one thing -- it is easier to get the dealer to make modifications on the I10 than on the Alto. Refer to my thread on our I10 ownership experience and you will know the three different 'modifications' that the Hyundai technicians willingly performed on our I10.

In contrast, Maruti technicians kept telling us that certain modifications were not possible on the Alto. For example, I was keen to install a rear cabin/luggage lamp on our Alto, but they said this was not possible (and were not even willing to consider it), even when I reminded them that the Wagon R VXI had such a rear cabin light. At the time, day/night mirrors were not available for the Alto and members on team-bhp had advised me to install the Wagon-R D/N mirror on my Alto. The Maruti technicians had claimed that it would not be possible to fit the Wagon R mirror on the Alto.
misquitas is offline   Reply With Quote