Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 4th August 2010, 18:36   #121
BHPian

Default Brilliant - thanks!

Excellent review no doubt!

What a Performer at 3 Lakhs!!! Giving 2 engine options is a damn smart move! MSIL will take complete control of the A1 segment! Bye bye Spark/Santro!
Equus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 18:40   #122
BHPian

Fantastic review

The Alto K10 is seriouly going to eat away sales of Astar.

I had almost decided on i10 for myself but it seems that need to visit once to Maruti showroom for finding what it has to offer.

This one surely looks like a killer for most K10 engines car(Estilo, Wagon R, Astar)
<Badguy> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 19:11   #123
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
theMAG - How drivable will the AK10 be on bumper to bumper traffic.
Very drivable. Remember- its optimized for city driving (which is my biggest grouse!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
Thanks Mag. My Dad has severe back problem. He was primarily looking at a car with the below characteristics:

1-> Easy ingress/egress
2-> Less bumpy at low/medium speeds
3-> Good for city commute
4-> Decent mileage as 99% driving would be within the city.

Apart from the mileage the other factors still seem to be a suspect. I will ask him to TD it, feel the car before he can take a plunge.

Thanks mate
I feel a softer sprung car and more spacious like the Wagon R will be more appropriate for your dad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Have they changed the gearing of Alto from A star, if so that explains the better acceleration. Lot of other factors which if attended to can make the same engine perform different under different hoods.
I reckon an educated guess of them having tinkered with the gearing. As I'd noticed, it seemed to be pulling ideally in every gear, irrespective of RPM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Is there an increased space for rear seat passengers than the previous one?
Where has then 125mm being utilized ?
A 50 mm increase for knee space - as clarified in my previous statements Most of the extra 125 mm has gone in the front- elongating the hood to take the K10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post

A few questions->
1. Are rear-defogger, fog-lamps and rear-viper part current Alto VXi?
2. Is the rear-view-mirror of the day-and-night type (like the one in Swift)?
3. Any new colors (possibly exclusive to K10)?
1. No
2. No
3. Ecru Beige and Copper seem to be the new colors (existing Alto owners pl confirm about Beige), in addition to the existing black, silver and white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Bye bye Spark/Santro!
Interestingly, Maruti mentioned something very similar, although in very diplomatic terms!
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 19:20   #124
Senior - BHPian

Yes, the new Alto will be fast.

But won't that kind of BHP/Ton ratio combined with not-so-great highspeed handling and absence of safety features like ABS/Airbags be a little dangerous for our highways?
StarrySky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 19:24   #125
Senior - BHPian

Superb review. And MUL has given the masses the Zen back. Some of the side shots truely look to me like that of the zen. Good move MUL.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 19:54   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
• The gearshift quality is atrocious. It’s vague and rubbery – pretty much like the 1st gen Indicas. Considering Maruti’s claims that the migration to a cable-operated shift is an improvement, I certainly did not see that effected in actual usage.

• There is massive understeer at higher speeds, which I personally found to be the most disappointing of all drawbacks on this car, very likely due to the heavier engine and the larger front overhang. Maruti must address this point on priority for the Alto K10 to be a great all-rounder. An upgrade to fatter, better quality, tyres should improve matters too.
Hi,

Handling: Deja Vu! (Remember the Alto VX 1.1)

I fail to see why Maruti is tomtoming the cable operated gearshift. In Maruti's place, I would like to gloss over that fact. Talk of turning a bug into a feature!

Good to see that the weight difference between the LXi and VXi is 5 Kg, and not 43 Kg. This makes sense. What does not make sense is the overall weight increase by ~25 Kg. Any insights?

Zigwheel mentions that the gearbox is the same as that in the A*. Confirmation?

Do you know the speeds at 1000 rpm for the various gears?

Do you know what AC components Maruti is using in this car?

Great review.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 20:00   #127
BANNED

Thanks for review.

Really liked new looks. But i feel , rear could have been better. However , new improved K10 is a worth point to buy if you are looking at small car with better engine.
idea1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 20:02   #128
Senior - BHPian

Alto K-10 is better than Alto-800 inside out except rear.

But IMO, this move may actually hamper Maruti's interests, due to the following facts:

1. Consider a potential Alto buyer (2.2L - 2.8L budget). Seeing the new K-10 specs, he may at first plan to test it, and then raise the extra funds for it. Now, again considering the price range (3L - 3.16L), he may think - oh, I've more options like Spark and Santro!

In effect, a 100% Maruti customer has now become a 33% one!

2. Up to now, Maruti was maintaining a well defined engine option plan for their cars - the cars at lower segments had lower power-to-weight ratio, while those at higher segments had higher power-to-weight ratio. So, customers who upgrade from their lower segment cars to higher segment cars were quite happy with it, in terms of power.

Now the equation has changed - a customer coming from Alto K-10 to Wagon-R, Ritz or even Swift may not feel the power difference thanks to the higher weight of these cars, resulting in some unhappy customers.

My thoughts!
romeomidhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 20:09   #129
BHPian

Congrats MAG for the superb review. The front looks extremely good. Maruti has certainly got a winner with the K10.
Utopian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 21:04   #130
~~h
BHPian

Great review theMAG..
IMHO this is the first Marti to look smarter after the Lamps & Bumper treatment.
~~h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 21:11   #131
BHPian

I think it will give Spark a run for its money. Spark seems to be the most hit
Lightening-Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 21:23   #132
BHPian

Maruti should have plonked this engine into the last outgoing avatar of Zen.

Name:  zen.jpg
Views: 10408
Size:  41.0 KB

IMO, the manufacturing cost of All aluminium 993 cc, 4- Cyl - 16V engine was proving a burden to MUL due to its non-utility in other cars.

As KB-10 is being plonked in A-star, Estilo, WagonR so there was a golden opportunity for MUL to relaunch the ZEN. Existence of Alto 800 along with Alto K series will not bring in as many potential buyers as relaunched Zen would have brought.

Last edited by breezydrive : 4th August 2010 at 21:26.
breezydrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 21:25   #133
BHPian

Man, it took me over an hour to read all these posts, from beginning (the road test) till the one before mine. Enjoyed reading all posts, specially since I was hooked on to K10 related threads since the last few weeks.

Wife and I went to Chowgule Panjim to check out the car this morning and these are my few observations:

* What I really liked -- and not many may agree -- is the fact that I can get an excellent view of the bonnet from the driver's seat (I don't think this aspect has been mentioned earlier). Reminds me of my dad's earlier Tata Estate where this little 'facility' made a big impact specially while parking or negotiating bumper-to-bumper traffic. This is possible with the K10 and this eliminates the need for a front sensor alarm.

* I was also pleased to note that Maruti has NOT reduced the boot specs of the K10 in comparison to the Alto 800. I was disappointed that the new Wagon R had a reduced boot space from the earlier Wagon R.

* In comparison with my Alto LXI 2008, this car has all the bells and whistles (tachometer, better power, better mileage in same Alto specs) that I had hoped for. I'm in two minds on whether to go in for the new Alto K10 or retain my old Alto for about a year or so. I may get Rs 1.8-2 L for my Alto and I would have to put in an additional Rs 1.5L. Don't know if the difference is worth it. Some advice on this would help.

Last edited by misquitas : 4th August 2010 at 21:26.
misquitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 21:38   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
* In comparison with my Alto LXI 2008, this car has all the bells and whistles (tachometer, better power, better mileage in same Alto specs) that I had hoped for. I'm in two minds on whether to go in for the new Alto K10 or retain my old Alto for about a year or so. I may get Rs 1.8-2 L for my Alto and I would have to put in an additional Rs 1.5L. Don't know if the difference is worth it. Some advice on this would help.
misquitas, i would advice you to retain your present Alto and wait for at-least another year.

Since you already own an Alto F8D, a proven engine it would make more sense to wait and look at the performance of the new Alto-K10. If it lives up to the so called Hype, then sell your old Alto and get the AltoK10.

Last edited by MutantX : 4th August 2010 at 21:39.
MutantX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 21:50   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
misquitas, i would advice you to retain your present Alto and wait for at-least another year.

Since you already own an Alto F8D, a proven engine it would make more sense to wait and look at the performance of the new Alto-K10. If it lives up to the so called Hype, then sell your old Alto and get the AltoK10.
I too am inclined to wait for about a year or so, since...

* The K10 would be tested by then and any teething problems would be sorted out by then.

* The wait list would have been (hopefully) eliminated by then and I could get one in quick time.

* By then, I may get some freebies and discounts for the K10

HOWEVER, the fear in my mind -- and this has been mentioned some earlier post -- is that Maruti could suddenly (and without notice) discontinue the K10 if it kills the A-Star. The Maruti 800 5-speed and the old Alto VXI suffered from this unfortunate situation some years ago, leaving a number of 800 5-speed and old Alto VXI potential owners in the lurch.

I would dread to be in a similar situation, because if the same thing happens to the K10, I would be left with a Alto F8D and no K10. The Alto BSIV would be no replacement for me. What say? Gansan bhai may be in a similar (or worse) predicament. Only difference is, his is a Alto 2009 and mine is a Alto 2008.

Melvyn

PS: I did some quick calculations as follows. I presently get a minimum average of 19kmpl (specified mileage is 18kmpl) in my Alto LXI and I would think that I would get about 21 kmpl (specified mileage is 20kmpl) in the new K10, given my driving styles and the similar nature of the two cars. Price of petrol is about Rs 52 here in Goa.

So, running petrol cost of the present Alto LXI works out to about Rs 2.74 per km. Similarly, running petrol cost of the Alto LXI would work out to about Rs 2.48 per km, all things equal.

Now, I would save about Rs .26 for every km in the K10 as opposed to my present Alto or Rs 2600 for every 10,000 kms. but I would have to cough up an additional Rs 1.5L if I sell my Alto for about Rs 2L and buy the K10. My heart says it is still worth going for the K10, given the features and specs. My head, however, says not worth the difference especially since I have had not a single problem with my Alto so far.

Last edited by misquitas : 4th August 2010 at 22:08.
misquitas is offline   Reply With Quote