Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread

Old 11th May 2011, 11:55   #271
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: like.no.other - My tafeta white Honda Jazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by superboy44 View Post
hey, its good to have an update from you and i am not surprised to hear that the jazz is running without any hiccups whatsoever.
those are pretty decent FE figures considering that you enjoy flooring the go pedal.
keenly waiting for the upgrades you got planned.
and congrats for the new home.
Thanks @superboy.
Sometimes, it's a bit boring when there are no issues to report.

Yes, the FE is surprisingly very good. It has never gone below 11 kmpl even when I used to redline whenever possible. I am trying to be a little more sensible nowadays with the ever rising petrol price.

I have ordered the USB adapter for Jazz and should reach me in a day or two..the bluetooth dongle will take a couple of weeks more.
Here is the link - Honda USB/SD MP3 Interface Model V*::*HONDA*::*XCarLink

I hope to get it installed this weekend.
Will keep you all posted.

Any idea about what front components can I get fitted within reasonable budget? Is an Amp necessary?
I do not have a plan for a subwoofer as of now.

Few words on the driving experience -
Much has been said about the poor low end torque of Jazz and it is somewhat true! The response below 1800-1900 rpm is poor. It's not as if the car has a tendency to stall but the acceleration is very slow at around 1500 rpm.
But once you are at 2000 rpm, the response is satisfactory and as the rpm needle climbs, the acceleration gets progressively stronger.
So, the thumb rule is - do not allow the rpm to drop below 2000 (downshift as required) and you will be fine. I don't think driving the car in very low rpms is good anyways. And you get very good FE if you keep the car in the 2000-3000 rpm.

The engine is very very rev-happy in true Honda IVTEC fashion! Above 3000 rpm, the acceleration is very good and it goes absolutely crazy and the car takes off above 4000 rpm and races to the redline in a jiffy!
For someone who likes to rev the engine, it can get addictive.

The GC is not great but manageable with a little careful driving..I have scrapped only twice in the last 9 months.

One minor irritant in the driving experience is the front quarter glass sometimes obstruct your view while taking turns and you need to exercise your neck muscles to make sure everything is fine.

Overall, a very satisfied and proud owner of this wonderful vehicle!

Last edited by adimicra : 11th May 2011 at 11:58.
Old 11th May 2011, 12:30   #272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Thanks @superboy.
Sometimes, it's a bit boring when there are no issues to report.

Yes, the FE is surprisingly very good. It has never gone below 11 kmpl even when I used to redline whenever possible. I am trying to be a little more sensible nowadays with the ever rising petrol price.

I have ordered the USB adapter for Jazz and should reach me in a day or two..the bluetooth dongle will take a couple of weeks more.
Here is the link - Honda USB/SD MP3 Interface Model V*::*HONDA*::*XCarLink
Sometimes boring routine can be a good thing!
For me too, the FE has not gone below 12. I really enjoy revving up once in a while. I remember someone mentioning this once, but I am also getting into the habit of playing a game with the FE meter on my way to/ from work. Keeps me occupied and stress free for now (from the traffic)

I am looking for a cable which I can use to plug my iPhone into the Aux in slot. I dont have a USB slot as mine is the base model, do you already use something like this?
Also, can you recommend a good rubbing compound if you use one on the Jazz?
Old 11th May 2011, 13:44   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guyz,

With that, my FE has steadied at 14-14.5 kmpl with 100% AC.
With Sedate driving, I could manage 16-16.5 kmpl.

All calculaitons based on tankful method. The onboard FE is always more optimistic by about 1 kmpl.

Adi have asked to AKP and also same goes to you what are the RPM levels which you are changing the gears and what other things to look out to get above mentioned FE.

Quote:
I am planning to do a few upgrades -
  • USB and Bluetooth- I am getting from XCARLINK through a fellow BHPian in Delhi.
  • Speakers - Components in the front. Do I need to have Amps to drive those?
  • Boot light
That's all for now. I am hoping to have a long drive pretty soon.

Keep us posted on the USB and Bluetooth upgrade. I think that should be helpfull to all the current Jazz owners.
Old 11th May 2011, 14:08   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrooze View Post
Adi have asked to AKP and also same goes to you what are the RPM levels which you are changing the gears and what other things to look out to get above mentioned FE.
I try to keep things simple -
I try to keep the rpm in a healthy range of 2000-2500 rpm for better FE.
What is very important is the amount of throttle you are using to drive. So, you should not drive the car in a higher gear - this not only damages the engine but also reduces the FE as you require more throttle to accelerate.
For example, if you are going at 40 kmph on 5th gear and want want to accelerate, you have to give a lot of throttle input which is definitely avoidable. If you are in 3rd gear at 40 kmph, you can get the same acceleration with little throttle.

So, here are the thumb rules for optimum FE IMO -
  • Keep the car in a healthy rpm range of 2000-2500 rpm. Downshift as required.
  • Minimize the amount of throttle input. The above point should help in this.
  • Noticed a thing in the Jazz - if you lift your foot off the accelerator pedal, it rolls on without much resistance. It is not the same with my Santo or other cars I have driven. So, when you want steady progress, you can lift your foot off the accelerator and the car will just roll on nicely. The Onboard FE shows as 40kmpl+ in such situations ..LOL
  • Always try to overtake very slow moving vehicles (saves time and fuel both)
  • Plan your overtakes in advance and make those stick in the 1st attempt.
  • Use engine braking whenever possible.
  • Braking and acceleration should be steady and progressive, not sudden
  • Shut down engine if the wait is more than a minute.
  • Lastly, control the urge to rev

Hope it helps. What's the current FE you manage? What's the traffic like?

Will keep u all posted on the USB/BT/Speaker upgrades.

Last edited by adimicra : 11th May 2011 at 14:29.
adimicra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2011, 15:26   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Lastly, control the urge to rev

Control to rev is the most difficult

Currently getting somewhere around 13.5kmpl. So just wanted to check how to get it at about 14.5

Traffic is moderate but sometimes drive in heavy traffic.
Old 12th May 2011, 14:28   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guyz,

Have not updated the thread for a long long time.
Was busy with moving to my new house and then setting up everything.

In spite of the long gap, I have nothing much to update
My odo has crossed 8000 kms.
I did not have a single long trip till date.
All driving is done in the city from home to office and back, weekend shopping and some spirited early morning drives in the Outer Ring Road.
My daily drive is near the outskirts of the city with moderate traffic.
I am driving somewhat sensibly now-a-days , I still drive faster than average but I don't try to be the fastest car on the road any more
With that, my FE has steadied at 14-14.5 kmpl with 100% AC.
With Sedate driving, I could manage 16-16.5 kmpl.

All calculaitons based on tankful method. The onboard FE is always more optimistic by about 1 kmpl.
Good to hear from you after a long time.
In summer heat of Ahmedabad my FE has gone down to 11.5 whereas the MID shows FE of about 13. It gives good FE if you drive sedately but this takes fun out while driving. I have stopped looking at FE during driving because once I look at it I am tempted to improve upon it!

Quote:
I am planning to do a few upgrades -
  • USB and Bluetooth- I am getting from XCARLINK through a fellow BHPian in Delhi.
  • Speakers - Components in the front. Do I need to have Amps to drive those?
  • Boot light
That's all for now. I am hoping to have a long drive pretty soon.
I am looking forward to your experience with USB and Bluetooth.
Old 24th May 2011, 14:07   #277
Senior - BHPian

I have been going slow on the planned upgrades due to lack of time ...

Meanwhile, I experienced ABS for the first time in my life and believe me it is not a good feeling.
It happened this morning on the road in front of our office.
The car in front stopped all of a sudden in the right lane
i was going pretty fast around 80 kmph and I didnt expect him to stop.
I felt i will hit him for sure.

I braked hard and then I could sense something strange that someone else is controlling the braking - that is when I realized that it was the ABS/EBD at work.

I could steer the car and pull it alongside the car in front - no dramas at all and very reassuring.

Having read about ABS so many times and why it is so important, finally I experienced it but I don't want to experience it again.

Though it is reassuring to know that the car has this feature and does so well in situations like this without losing composure!
Old 24th May 2011, 14:29   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I am looking for a cable which I can use to plug my iPhone into the Aux in slot. I dont have a USB slot as mine is the base model, do you already use something like this?
There is a regular aux cable which you can connect to the aux port with your psp or iPhone.
Old 24th May 2011, 15:11   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameshdude View Post
There is a regular aux cable which you can connect to the aux port with your psp or iPhone.
Thanks Rameshdude! I got this cable for 60 bucks on Sunday (another bhpian Der Alte gave me this info). I was perhaps expecting the solution to be something fancier/ similar to an adaptor than a direct cable!
This works perfectly; I dont need any CDs anymore, and goodbye to all that gibberish from the RJs too
Old 27th May 2011, 16:03   #280
BHPian

Quote:
So, here are the thumb rules for optimum FE IMO -
  • Keep the car in a healthy rpm range of 2000-2500 rpm. Downshift as required.
  • Minimize the amount of throttle input. The above point should help in this.
  • Noticed a thing in the Jazz - if you lift your foot off the accelerator pedal, it rolls on without much resistance. It is not the same with my Santo or other cars I have driven. So, when you want steady progress, you can lift your foot off the accelerator and the car will just roll on nicely. The Onboard FE shows as 40kmpl+ in such situations ..LOL
  • Always try to overtake very slow moving vehicles (saves time and fuel both)
  • Plan your overtakes in advance and make those stick in the 1st attempt.
  • Use engine braking whenever possible.
  • Braking and acceleration should be steady and progressive, not sudden
  • Shut down engine if the wait is more than a minute.
  • Lastly, control the urge to rev

Adimicra, Thanks for those tips. I have made it a game in the last few months to see what is the best trip mileage I can get. Been following most of what you do but havent tracked the RPM will do that in future. I drive in HYD but more in Sainikpuri to Punjagutta / Banjara Hills area. Never managed to go over 20kmpl on on-board FE but am usually around 15 - 17 kmpl range occasionally hitting 19kmpl. Also dipped to 12 - 13 when I had to drive in bumper to bumper traffic during peak times. All with 100% AC.

Also noticed that that driving in the afternoon heat, reduces AC efficiency significantly, though I keep the fan speed at 3 as it gets a bit noisy above that. I installed the 3m CR70 for the front windscreen last week. Will report back on effectiveness. What is your experience on this front?
Old 27th May 2011, 16:42   #281
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisscross View Post

Also noticed that that driving in the afternoon heat, reduces AC efficiency significantly, though I keep the fan speed at 3 as it gets a bit noisy above that. I installed the 3m CR70 for the front windscreen last week. Will report back on effectiveness. What is your experience on this front?
This would be attributed to the Jazz's massive glass-house. There is so much glass, you could use it for City-tours.

Jokes apart, the Jazz's glass-house has proven to be a minor weak-point that comes with the advantage of having phenomenal all-round visibility. I guess there are negatives that come with positives too. But I wouldn't say it's a note-worthy con. The air-conditioner works brilliantly, and a good selection of tints should help as well.
Old 27th May 2011, 16:45   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisscross View Post
Adimicra, Thanks for those tips. I have made it a game in the last few months to see what is the best trip mileage I can get. Been following most of what you do but havent tracked the RPM will do that in future. I drive in HYD but more in Sainikpuri to Punjagutta / Banjara Hills area. Never managed to go over 20kmpl on on-board FE but am usually around 15 - 17 kmpl range occasionally hitting 19kmpl. Also dipped to 12 - 13 when I had to drive in bumper to bumper traffic during peak times. All with 100% AC.

You are welcome!
I drive in the Hi tec city area..so getting a better mileage is easier for me
But I am unable to control my instincts for long. I did drive sensibly for sometime to get better mileage and the results were very good which I have shared.
But that was taking the fun out of driving ...so now my FE is gradually on a decreasing trend as I am getting heavier with the right foot. My last tankful gave around 13.5kmpl!
I feel the AC in Jazz is very good but the problem is with the huge glass area, particularly the windscreen. That's why I installed 3M CR70 from the begining itself I am very very happy with the result. Definitely recommended to all Jazz owners! Last week, I had gone to Sec'bad in the afternoon heat for shopping and the AC was super effective, even with a blower speed of 2 (very rarely I had gone to 3).
I am sure you will see a huge difference!

Question to fellow Jazz and other Honda owners -
I am done with the free services sometime back. I got a call from the service center few days back asking me to schedule a service (paid one). I was surprised! Then I confirmed with Honda customer care as well. It seems that the service interval is 3 months/5000 kms (mind you, they change the oil in every service) though the manual mentions 10000kms/6months(in 1st year) and 20000 kms/1 year (after 1st year). This is ridiculously short service interval and adds up to the maintenance costs beside wasting valuable time.
Do we have to adhere to this? What if we don't stick to it? Will our warranty get violated?

Last edited by adimicra : 27th May 2011 at 16:56.
Old 27th May 2011, 18:43   #283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[*] Noticed a thing in the Jazz - if you lift your foot off the accelerator pedal, it rolls on without much resistance. It is not the same with my Santo or other cars I have driven. So, when you want steady progress, you can lift your foot off the accelerator and the car will just roll on nicely. The Onboard FE shows as 40kmpl+ in such situations ..LOL
This is true with any car but this will happen only for a while till the momentum dies and car needs additional throttle to bring back the lost momentum. Better to maintain a light but constant throttle.
Old 28th May 2011, 12:27   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
This is true with any car but this will happen only for a while till the momentum dies and car needs additional throttle to bring back the lost momentum. Better to maintain a light but constant throttle.
Happens with any car but not to this extent. In my Santro whenever I lift my foot of the accelerator, it used to roll but I could feel a resistance noticeably. In case of Jazz, the resistance is much less and it rolls much more smoothly.
I normally maintain a light throttle though
Old 28th May 2011, 19:32   #285
BHPian

Default Re: My tafeta white Honda Jazz - Service interval

Quote:

Question to fellow Jazz and other Honda owners -
I am done with the free services sometime back. I got a call from the service center few days back asking me to schedule a service (paid one). I was surprised! Then I confirmed with Honda customer care as well. It seems that the service interval is 3 months/5000 kms (mind you, they change the oil in every service) though the manual mentions 10000kms/6months(in 1st year) and 20000 kms/1 year (after 1st year). This is ridiculously short service interval and adds up to the maintenance costs beside wasting valuable time.
Do we have to adhere to this? What if we don't stick to it? Will our warranty get violated?
adimicra, this is a standard practice from Honda Dealer. You do not need to get it serviced before six months / >6000 kms.

Same thing happend with me and I talked to service head of the dealer (about the details in the serivce manual) . They agreed to six month service schedule. I think some other members had similar experience.

Dealer indicated that 3 months service is recommended by Honda due to Indian dusty condition etc. If the vehicle has not run required KM from last service, then they will do a simple check-up and no oil chnage.

Talk to the service manager of your dealer and I am sure it will not affect the warranty.
Closed Thread