Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 17th October 2011, 13:06   #151
BHPian

Default Re: Medium Grey Tank - New Palio Stile 1.3 MJD

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
It is advised by many people within this forum (and without) that one should avoid pushing the fuel to the low fuel warning point. Not only does it seem to affect the fuel pump (by increasing the chances of dirt / dust settled at the base of the tank going into the fuel line) but also reduces FE because of too much empty volume in the tank.

I follow a simple system of filling up on Saturday / Sunday night. I fill up from only one pump in the city and I often have to drive extra to do so, but I am okay. This way I am also always above the half-way mark on fuel (since I rarely do more than 300 km in a week). Even on highways, I follow the half-way mark rule.

It's been three years since I have seen the low fuel warning lamp go on. I hope it is still working, though!
Seems like a perfectly valid point. I do about 45 ~ 50 km a day for the home-office-home routine, and I pass the same route more or less. Over the past year or so, I've become so accustomed to driving the same route over and over, even my fuel filling pattern is the same. I drive about 700km on a full tank before I tank up again.

I don't think I need to be worried about a fuel depletion problem, in the sense I'm never driving great distances. But for the fuel pump issue/ dirt in the tank issue, I could move over to this method of fuel filling. All I need to do is reset the trip meter on filling, and note the volume filled to calculate my FE. I'll see if anything changes.

+ 1 thanks Architect. Safe driving.
ByDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2011, 08:33   #152
BHPian

***UPDATE***

***TANK FILL***

Fuel volume - 39.83 L
Trip distance - 666 kms
Odo reading - 14299 kms

FE in city = 16.7 kmpl

I wonder when the next service is. Car's steering left ever so slightly upon leaving the steering wheel. I can actually see the steering wheel turn a bit lift and the car moves too. Can't keep a perfect straight line. People say alignment, will get it done this weekend.
Old 20th November 2011, 23:19   #153
BHPian

***UPDATE***

***TANK FILL***

Fuel volume - 41 L
Trip distance - 744 kms
Odo reading - 15043 kms

FE in city = 18.1 kmpl

Winters almost here. Much less air con usage. Uploaded a few pics of my new under dash lighting kit. Has a remote control too! 7 color interchangeable ordered from LEDGLOW

It wasn't very dark outside when I took the pics, so some colors may seem a bit dull. It's a nice kit though.

Medium Grey Tank - New Palio Stile 1.3 MJD-img_0105.jpg

Medium Grey Tank - New Palio Stile 1.3 MJD-img_0109.jpg

Medium Grey Tank - New Palio Stile 1.3 MJD-img_0111.jpg

Medium Grey Tank - New Palio Stile 1.3 MJD-img_0115.jpg

Medium Grey Tank - New Palio Stile 1.3 MJD-img_0117.jpg

My optra and palio! North Delhi greenery where I live is beautiful aint it!

Last edited by ByDesign : 20th November 2011 at 23:21.
ByDesign is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 23:28   #154
SDP
Team-BHP Support

ByDesign, Beautiful pics!

Congrats!!

Loved your FE figures. The steering design is beautiful! Loved those LEDs also.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2011, 19:46   #155
BHPian

Thanks very much SDP! Car's no where close to next service date. I'm pushing 15000 odd kms right now, service booklet says 22,000. But I think I'll be going earlier. Slight bit of alignment problem, plus I want her to be in top shape generally.

Will be getting new tires once these run out. Will also get new alloys when that time comes for sure!
Old 11th January 2012, 10:56   #156
BHPian

***UPDATE***

***TANK FILL***

Fuel volume - 27.27 L
Trip distance - 513 kms
Odo reading - 16100+ kms

FE in city = 18.8 kmpl

Decent FE figures in the city I suppose. Still very happy with my ride. 16,000 clocked on the odo, no complaints. Winter is here, so hello solid FE figures! Minor rattles inside the car, mostly from the ICE HU frame, which I reinforced with blue tack. That held up pretty well for a while, untill the blue tack wore out and the HU started ratting at certain speeds once again.

Went for a vacation for a week, which resulted in my car being stationary for that period of time. When I tried moving the car after that, she wouldn't budge. I tried pressing the gas a bit more, raised the clutch a bit more aggressively, and there was a LOUD cracking sound and the car moved forward.

The car moved on the roads pretty ok, but on every tap of the breaks, there was major bumps and disturbance on the front tires. It was like I was driving on big rocks, and could feel each bump through the break pedal. I drove around the block a couple of times, accelerating and breaking, until the disturbance went away. I think there was a massive build up of rust on the front discs, which eroded away on actuating the breaks.

Can any of the gurus help on this please?
Old 11th January 2012, 11:01   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
Can any of the gurus help on this please?
I am no guru, but it seems your disc brakes / pads have a problem. Take it to Him Motors and get it checked.
architect is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 11:05   #158
BHPian

Quote:
I am no guru, but it seems your disc brakes / pads have a problem. Take it to Him Motors and get it checked.
Thanks for the super prompt reply architect. It seems everytime I don't run the car for over 3 days, it doesn't move from a standstill. And there's always this cracking sound, like its breaking out of something before it begins to move.

Spoke to Raju earlier, will take the car for the next paid service soon. Any heads up on HIM? Is Mr. Sharma handling stuff there too? How is the service experience at HIM?
Old 11th January 2012, 11:31   #159
Senior - BHPian

It is possible that your brake calipers get jammed. It is also possible that your rear brake gets jammed if you park your car with the handbrake on. Either ways the problem should not be ignored as brakes should always work properly.

Service experience at Him Motors is fine, as Sharmaji is in charge. Only difference is that you cannot visit the workshop floor.
architect is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 12:50   #160
Senior - BHPian

was it raining in Delhi during your vacation? did you engage the hand brake during the period? if yes, there will be rust build up on the discs / drums & drum brakes will get jammed.

usually driving for some distance with ramdom use of brakes will get rid of the rust on the disc brakes - but the drums may require cleaning. you may notice black tar build up in the drums and brake pads - a sand paper should do the trick.

front and rear brakes are self adjusting type unlike old cars which require manual adjusting (drums).

Next time the rear brakes get jammed - tap with a hammer on the drums.
planet_rocker is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 14:17   #161
BHPian

Quote:
It is possible that your brake calipers get jammed. It is also possible that your rear brake gets jammed if you park your car with the handbrake on. Either ways the problem should not be ignored as brakes should always work properly.

Service experience at Him Motors is fine, as Sharmaji is in charge. Only difference is that you cannot visit the workshop floor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
was it raining in Delhi during your vacation? did you engage the hand brake during the period? if yes, there will be rust build up on the discs / drums & drum brakes will get jammed.

usually driving for some distance with ramdom use of brakes will get rid of the rust on the disc brakes - but the drums may require cleaning. you may notice black tar build up in the drums and brake pads - a sand paper should do the trick.

front and rear brakes are self adjusting type unlike old cars which require manual adjusting (drums).

Next time the rear brakes get jammed - tap with a hammer on the drums.
Thank you both for your inputs. I will organize a service within a thousand KM and update the thread accordingly. Planet Rocker, I'm guessing I can use my jack rod for tapping the drums the next time. And to answer your question, yes it had rained during the period of stand still. Moreover, this problem happens even if it doesn't rain and I don't move the car for more than 3 days.
Old 11th January 2012, 14:48   #162
Senior - BHPian

amount of moisture in air is enough for rust build up. it should not occur during delhi summer. take care.
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 15:58   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
amount of moisture in air is enough for rust build up. it should not occur during delhi summer. take care.
Delhi summers are not as dry as they used to be. Delhi is now a humid place, reason being an intense concentration of water vapour due to smog and diesel fumes around the huge urban agglomeration that the NCR has become.
Old 31st January 2012, 17:57   #164
BHPian

***UPDATE***

***TANK FILL***

Fuel volume - 41 L
Trip distance - 799.3 kms
Odo reading - 17066 kms

FE in city = 19.5 kmpl

Had some good FE results this winter. Quite happy with the car overall. It isn't very refined inside, i.e., interiors, finish, ride quality, leg room, comfort, etc. The family usually mumbles and prefers to drive the Optra or i10 compared to my tank. But then again, she is my first car, and what a first car to have!

At this moment, she deserves a quick mention of some of her bonus points (some points are obviously specific to my ride):
  • Solid build outside, heavy!
  • Presence on the road is notable
  • Speeds above 140 kmph are stable!
  • After tire size upgrade, ride quality has significantly improved
  • Awesome amplifier + sub woofer ICE setup, good on high and low frequency sounds
  • Under dash lighting! (most) front passengers love this (my green peace type of friends say it feels environmentally wrong!!)
  • Unique alloys. Haven't seen these on any other car yet!
  • All around skirting kit was done pretty well for a 10k budget. Goes with the overall body well in my opinion. Feedback from friends has been positive overall.
  • Extra cost effective (i.e. dirt cheap) white LED parking lights from dealextreme.com have been working without problem, really looks good on the car when on.
  • White fog lamps
  • FE has been splendid! I feel extra good when I fill up the tank each time. Envy of all my petrol guzzling friends
  • Outruns mid sized to large sized cars too. Once drag raced a Skoda Laura who couldn't keep up (yes yes I know, the Laura driver might not have been too good, but still, he was gunning the accelerator for all I know).
  • When the turbos warmed up, the acceleration rush is wonderful. Pushes you back in your seat in 2nd and 3rd gear pressed down hard. This is not the case with my 2.0L optra magnum, who's ride is super refined, and acceleration, linear
  • Old skool European design, minimal edges, extremely butch looking.
  • AC in Delhi summers, as all Palio MJD owners would know, is amazing! It really makes you smile
  • At least 3 people have stopped and asked me at traffic lights, which car this is, how much it was, and whether fiat is still making them. Compliments usually come along with these questions.
The Bad so far (I lovingly ignore these just cause of my love for the car )
  • Little niggles. Hopefully, I've been updating my thread over time about all of these as well. Particularly, once the AC died. I just thumped the fuse in the fuse box once, and it hasn't quit since.
  • Front wheels or brakes were making a sound until I discovered that the brake pads were broken in two! Had them replaced then and there.
  • Front wipers aren't efficient at all. Either one or both the wipers have some problem or the other. Sometimes they don't wipe the water off properly, and sometimes they hop and skip up and down the windshield.
  • The skirting is now starting to age. Gaps are visible on close inspection. Paint quality difference is slightly noticeable between the skirts and the body.
  • Interiors look so dull compared to modern hatches, whether cheap or expensive.
  • Steering's nice and heavy. Like steering the Titanic I suppose. Or jokes apart, like an ambassador!
  • The HU frame of the ICE rattles away to glory at certain RPM's. What an absolute pain in the ***. My blue tack jugaad has worn out. I need to re-do this. So unless I'm playing loud booming hiphop or whatever, you can hear this rattling.
  • Clutch is rather heavy. You'll notice my left calf muscle is like ronaldo's, and my right calf muscle looks like a normal office going chaps! But on a more serious note, bad traffic jams can REALLY be wearing on your left leg. Takes a bit of effort it does!
  • Front breaks or wheels make a horrible rattling clanking noise for a while if I don't move the car for over 3 days (see earlier post).
  • Black smoke on red line driving in any gear (I haven't red lined in 5th yet)
  • Outer windshield beading's coming off
  • My live to drive sticker's slowly looking weathered on the left side. Might need to buy another set soon
Enough for now! I had fun writing this post! Photographs of my car inside and out are in my team-bhp garage

PS: Future upgrade will most probably be a bolt on ECU mod! 95 ~ 100 bhp seems too good a prospect for this beast

Last edited by ByDesign : 31st January 2012 at 18:00.
ByDesign is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2012, 23:44   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[*]Front wipers aren't efficient at all. Either one or both the wipers have some problem or the other. Sometimes they don't wipe the water off properly, and sometimes they hop and skip up and down the windshield.
First get new wiper blades. After that, every time your car cleaner cleans the car, wipe the edge of the wiper blades with a damp cloth and then put the wiper back on the glass. See if it works, because in my case it does. Also, always use wash wipe while car is standing to ensure even spread of the water on the windscreen. You can also adjust the nozzle with a pin to cover the windscreen area effectively.

Quote:
[*]The HU frame of the ICE rattles away to glory at certain RPM's. What an absolute pain in the ***. My blue tack jugaad has worn out. I need to re-do this. So unless I'm playing loud booming hiphop or whatever, you can hear this rattling.
Tell me about it!

Quote:
[*]Black smoke on red line driving in any gear (I haven't red lined in 5th yet)
Accelerate gradually. Don't dump fuel unnecessarily into the cylinders by flooring the pedal. I red-line my car occasionally (last during the PUC test yesterday) and there was no black smoke.