Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 7th April 2012, 10:25   #181
BHPian

Default Re: Medium Grey Tank - New Palio Stile 1.3 MJD

***UPDATE***
CROSSED 20,000 KMS!

***TANK FILL***

Fuel volume - 38.14 L
Trip distance - 690 kms
Odo reading - 19988 kms

FE in city = 18.09 kmpl

Pretty much back to full AC usage. No complaints, except when the driver side window glass is down, i.e., inside my door, it clanks around when I drive. Plus when I close my door, I can hear a distinct *clink* of the glass hitting the housing. Will want to get that looked into at some point.
ByDesign is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2012, 16:55   #182
BHPian

***UPDATE***

***TANK FILL***

Fuel volume - 36.67 L
Trip distance - 658 kms
Odo reading - 20646 kms

FE in city = 17.94 kmpl

AC usage is almost back to 100% now.
ByDesign is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 22:08   #183
BHPian

***UPDATE***

***TANK FILL***

Fuel volume - 35.94 L
Trip distance - 627 kms
Odo reading - 21273 kms

FE in city = 17.45 kmpl

So apart from the 100% AC usage now, and the crossing of 21k kms in my beloved tank, the following points are to be noted.

1. HU frame rattles like crrrrrrrrrrrrrrazy!! I just can't take it sometimes, and I put my left hand on the HU frame to stop it from doing so. I've tried telling the service center chaps but they just politely ask me to ask the guy who fixed it to do it. The guy who fixed it, can't really do anything except put double sided tape in the gaps, which is mostly a nice little jugaad type fixing. Plus I can do that myself.

2. Finally got a pollution certificate. Got the engine warmed up first, and the ol' girl didn't throw any black smoke out even on 3k rpm.

3. Keep hearing rattles and squeaks from different parts of the car. Mostly the driver side window rattles inside the door if the window is half down or fully down. Doesn't rattle when it's fully up. The rear seat belt, which is rucked in between the rear seat and the rear wall rattles now and then, which irritates me quite a bit!

Apart from that, car's running as usual. Fiat I've heard is moving away from TATA, so I'll have to keep my service guy's movements in check. Let's hope they find a nice place to go!
ByDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 22:52   #184
h14
BHPian

Good and consistent FE figures! Way to go. Even I've got the double side tapes doing duty in my HU. Unfortunately, that's the only way to go about it and at the same time very effective for me. Holding well for 2 yrs now.

Reg PUC certificate, my beast to performed well. The guy was surprised and asked me on whether the car was new and he was pretty eek when he saw 25k on the ODO.

I'm surprised with you rattles, maybe they are not too serious.
h14 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 00:02   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
1. HU frame rattles like crrrrrrrrrrrrrrazy!!
I fixed my HU faceplate rattles.

It was actually not the faceplate but the black plastic shroud around it which is also a snap-fit (It is the thing which stays there even when you remove the HU faceplate). It snap-fits on grooves on top and bottom. Just pull out the bottom-grooves (so that it is 'loose' on the bottom and fixed only on the top) and see if it makes a difference.
architect is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 12:45   #186
BHPian

If the retro one costs Rs. 90 and the Stile one costs rs. 600+, and it is just a pane of mirror glass, you can just but the retro one and go to a glass shop and get it cut into shape for a few rupees!

Couldn't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
The sub-mirror-plate is only the mirror (glass) and the circular plastic plate to which it is fixed with industrial adhesive. This component snap fits on to another circular plate which is inside the plastic mirror housing, attached to the controlling springs. The plate itself costs Rs 90/- (for retro shape, i.e. almost perfect rectangle with filleted corners) and Rs 6xx/- at TASC for Stile shape (i.e. rectangular inside and rounded outside). Hence the slight mismatch. Palio Stile shape is not available in the local market.

The entire left ORVM assembly consisting of outer housing, sub-mirror plate and internal housing with control levers cost me Rs 2000 or so in 2008 when I bought it from Vivek Automobiles (who was always sitting on a huge number of spares).

Imagining the shape of the windows, the Retro set-up (entire assembly) will fit the Stile but there would be a mismatch between left and right then, no? Unless, one replaces both.

TnH, what you need to do is to sit on their heads, identify all the 3-4 parts by numbers and write a mail to Tata-Fiat. I will try to send you the effective email IDs. Today its just a mirror. Tomorrow it could be a critical component.
great_guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2012, 01:53   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_guns View Post
If the retro one costs Rs. 90 and the Stile one costs rs. 600+, and it is just a pane of mirror glass, you can just but the retro one and go to a glass shop and get it cut into shape for a few rupees!

Couldn't you?
I can't, because I need a mirror BIGGER than a Stile mirror to bring it to shape. The retro one is smaller (in length). Width is almost the same.
architect is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2012, 20:53   #188
BHPian

***UPDATE***

***22,000 kms Paid Service***

Actual odometer reading: 21,886 km
Service Center: HIM Motors, Patparganj Industrial Area

Took the faithful tank for servicing today. Also got our i10 serviced, so my entire day was pretty much taken up between these two. Oh, and also got our Optra serviced yesterday, so on the whole I'm feeling pretty good. The Optra's service came up to around 12k, which is pretty darn expensive. Most of that amount's the engine oil. God knows what kind they use, cause in comparison, the mineral Exxon Mobil Super I use in my Palio is super super dirt cheap.

Anyway, moving on. Reached the service station at around 10 am and to my pleasant surprise, Mr. Architect and his old faithful were already there. Shared a few pleasantries and gave the car in with the following symptoms -
  • AC a bit stifled. The other day, after gym, I was driving back home without the AC on (it was about 40 degrees outside). The engine temp shot up to over the halfway mark. I got a bit worried and turned on the AC, just to get the monster fan spinning. Guess what, the compressor didn't turn on at all. Since the traffic was so bad, I couldn't even speed up to let the natural air flow cool the engine down, so I just turned off the engine at a long red light. Once the engine temp dropped a wee bit, the AC compressor worked fine again and brought the engine temp down to it's usual quarter level. Service adviser said a normal AC filter cleaning should suffice, since there's so much dust etc.
  • Acceleration dropped a bit, the car wasn't really upto it's usual chirpy levels.
  • FE seemed lower than normal, probably around 16 ~ 17 kmpl this time around. I'll have my next tank fill on monday, and I'll update this thread as I always have been for the past 2 years straight.
Apart from that, the normal paid service was done. I was told later that the there was slightly lower levels of compressor gas in my AC unit, so that was topped up. Washing and cleaning that was included in the paid service was as usual pathetic by HIM motors.

There's about 12 to 15 people working on an unending line up of TATA and FIAT cars, just washing, wiping, polishing, spraying and vacuuming them. The end result, are dirty smudged windscreens and windows, random shiny polished bits of plastic inside, random dirty bits, some completely untouched bits, etc. Bah. They use these absolutely filthy rags to wipe the cars, and each rag is so dirty, it just dirties up the car some more. I had to keep telling them where to wipe and wash, which they weren't really interested in, so moving on.

The entire servicing cost me Rs. 4,290, which is chump change compared to the 3 times as much Optra service charge. Plus I was also charged Rs. 285 for AC Gas R134A. Some of the items and their charges are given below as I'm too lazy to click a snap and upload the bill.

1. Exxon Mobil Super 1000TM Diesel Engine Oil - 3.5 Ltr @ 872.10 /- (How cheap is that!!! Lasts 7,500 km with absolutely no performance problems)
  2. Oil filter Diesel - 365.33 /-
  3. Fuel filtering Element Diesel - 1,601.78 /-
  4. AC Gas R134A - 0.2 Kg @ 285,71 /-
  5. Paid service - 650 /- (includes the usual line up, air filter cleaning, etc.)
I forgot to tell the service adviser about my hard to open creaking rear door. So that stayed the same. The AC's nice and cold again, air flow from all 4 vents are nice and free flowing. They were a bit choked up earlier. Engine is shuddering when I go slow in a lower gear, i.e. 40 in 4th gear. It just picks up smoothly. I usually drive at optimum revs in every gear, shift @ 2k rpm etc. but sometimes the situation just makes me stay in the wrong gear at the wrong speed. Performance is nice and crisp once more.

On the whole I feel the maintenance of Fiat cars are super cheap. There also seems to be a general misconception that diesel cars are super expensive to maintain. The thing is, from my experience, the big 2.0L engined chevvys are expensive to maintain, but the 1.3 MJD's are dirt cheap. I don't know if other 1.3 MJD cars are as cheap to maintain as my Palio Stile. Any inputs anyone?

Last edited by ByDesign : 26th May 2012 at 20:55.
Old 5th June 2012, 00:03   #189
BHPian

***UPDATE***

***TANK FILL***

Fuel volume - 41.32 L
Trip distance - 646.6 kms
Odo reading - 21920 kms

FE in city = 15.64 kmpl

FE taken a nice beating this time. Really pushed the car after the last service. Should start seeing some better figures now. Plus it's more or less AC all the d*mn time thanks to peak Delhi summer. I'm talking 47 degrees peak temperature! The great part is, ever since the service and the AC gas top up, the air's blistering cold from the AC.

Love you FIAT!
Old 19th June 2012, 11:38   #190
BHPian

***UPDATE***

***TANK FILL***

Fuel volume - 35.94 L
Trip distance - 630.5 kms
Odo reading - 22550 kms

FE in city = 17.54 kmpl

Solid AC usage now that I'm in summer. Something weird I notice is, the AC compressor doesn't turn on at all when my engine temp is higher than a particular amount, like say closer to the halfway mark.

For example, after gym, I don't like to turn the AC on right away, I drive for a bit without the AC, where in this time, the engine temp climbs to about the halfway mark. If I try pressing the AC button then, the compressor just turns on (you can hear it) and then immediately off again. However, if I speed up and manage to bring the engine temp down, due to forced air through the bonnet, and THEN I press the AC button, it works fine. Plus the monster fan kicks in at this time and keeps the engine temp at the quarter mark or so as long as the AC's running. Any inputs anyone?
Old 19th June 2012, 12:16   #191
h14
BHPian

That's an interesting issue! I guess that your fuse / relay might be the culprit.
h14 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2012, 14:25   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
That's an interesting issue! I guess that your fuse / relay might be the culprit.
That's what I've been told by some other people too. Interestingly enough, the problem hasn't repeated itself, so I've given it a pass.

***UPDATE***

***TANK FILL***

Fuel volume - 37.09 L
Trip distance - 616.7 kms
Odo reading - 23167 kms

FE in city = 16.62 kmpl

Nothing special about this time's readings. But a point to note for the next service is black smoke on high revs. Might have something to do with my slightly low FE this time.
Old 4th July 2012, 14:48   #193
h14
BHPian

Black smoke? Is it already time for your service then? BTW, what oil are you using?
h14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2012, 10:28   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
Black smoke? Is it already time for your service then? BTW, what oil are you using?
I just serviced it about 1000 kms back (check earlier post on service). I'm using Exxon Mobil Super 1000TM Diesel Engine Oil. It's a mineral oil, not synthetic. Could that be the problem? It's super cheap compared to synthetic, and lasts 7,500 km before requiring a change as compared to 10k km for synthetic.
Old 25th July 2012, 23:17   #195
BHPian

***UPDATE***

***TANK FILL***

Fuel volume - 41.49 L
Trip distance - 666 kms
Odo reading - 23834 kms

FE in city = 16.05 kmpl

Constant AC usage I know, but my FE's dropping! There's no noticeable drop in engine performance, so I don't know what's going on. On a less glamorous note, my trip meter broke when I was trying to reset at the fuel pump. It went *click* and refused to reset after that. The numbers kind of went all out of sync and disoriented. Luckily my odometer's running just fine so I'm keeping track of my FE with that. I'll see how to get this fixed at my next service.