Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 26th July 2012, 08:42   #196
BHPian

Unhappy Re: Medium Grey Tank - New Palio Stile 1.3 MJD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
On a less glamorous note, my trip meter broke when I was trying to reset at the fuel pump. It went *click* and refused to reset after that. The numbers kind of went all out of sync and disoriented. Luckily my odometer's running just fine so I'm keeping track of my FE with that. I'll see how to get this fixed at my next service.
I had faced a similar issue. Trip meter went out of order while resetting, followed by odometer as well! Got it replaced under warranty though.
santosh.s is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2012, 22:47   #197
BHPian

Default Re: Medium Grey Tank - New Palio Stile 1.3 MJD

***UPDATE***

***TANK FILL***

Fuel volume - 37.47 L
Trip distance - Trip meter's broke!
Odo reading - 24454 kms

Trip distance with a lil friend called basic arithmetic - 620 km

FE in city = 16.54 kmpl

I keep thinking I need to get my car serviced again. Something's not right with these readings. 17 + was standard earlier. 18's even!
ByDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 21:54   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
FE in city = 16.54 kmpl
Seems quite normal to me. 15- 16.5 is my usual FE with AC.
architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 23:09   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Seems quite normal to me. 15- 16.5 is my usual FE with AC.
Still. I was used to 17 at least with AC. I also thought the engine got a lot more efficient as it chugged along. Let's see how things go after my next service.

***UPDATE***

***TANK FILL***

Fuel volume - 37.81 L
Trip distance - Trip meter's still broke!
Odo reading - 25091 kms

FE - 15.78 kmpl

Looks like your figures are around the same Architect.

Now for problems galore! My cars leaking water inside. After noticing the driver side footwell both front and back soaking wet (i.e. the nylon fiber car mats were a puddle of water beneath the aftermarket floor mats), I took the car to a nearby mechanic who did a few preliminary tests.

They ran the AC, checked the AC drain pipe (which wasn't the problem at all), and sprayed the front windshield with pressurized water. At this point, the water started pouring in behind the fuse box next to the steering column assembly! The wipers were removed, the plastic grate beneath the windshield was removed, and the whole wiper motor assembly was removed. There was a whole load of muck inside, which was painfully removed as well. Now after spraying the windshield once again, the problem did not occur so I drove away a happy man and only Rs. 150 poorer.

I removed the floor mats and dried the car in bright sunlight for about 2 days (not continuously but for several hours during the day) and it all dried up, no smell, no fungus, no pain.

Now a week or two later, there's been really heavy rain in Delhi and the floor got soaked again! I don't know if water's draining through the side door beading, or it's the front again. I spoke to my mechanic at HIM motors, and he told me there's a specific drain behind the engine, inside the engine bay which most mechanics don't know about, or at least those mechanics unacquainted with Fiats. I'm supposed to take it to HIM motors, but obviously, thanks to my super hectic job, I couldn't thus far.

The cars' kinda smelling a bit moist inside when I leave the doors closed, but it's almost all dried again. I'm not sure what to do at this time.

Will post and keep you guys updated when progress happens.

Thanks for reading.
ByDesign is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 12:38   #200
Senior - BHPian

small test - take two bottles of water and pour it on the windshield - check the flow of water and at the same time check inside the cabin. if you see water dripping from behind the dash board, then the muck is still there in the area below the plastic cowl and engine firewall.
if you dont see water from behind the dash, move over to step 2.

close the door and ask someone to pour water on the driver's side window and rear right passenger side window. if you notice water dripping from behind the door pads - then:
1. Clean the drain channel below the doors - there is a rubber seal - pull it out and use a screw driver to clean the drain holes - pour water again to check.
2. The plastic sheet in between the door metal and door pad is missing: this will let in rain water even if the door drain channel is clean

Last edited by planet_rocker : 7th September 2012 at 12:41.
planet_rocker is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2012, 23:05   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
small test - take two bottles of water and pour it on the windshield - check the flow of water and at the same time check inside the cabin. if you see water dripping from behind the dash board, then the muck is still there in the area below the plastic cowl and engine firewall.
if you dont see water from behind the dash, move over to step 2.

close the door and ask someone to pour water on the driver's side window and rear right passenger side window. if you notice water dripping from behind the door pads - then:
1. Clean the drain channel below the doors - there is a rubber seal - pull it out and use a screw driver to clean the drain holes - pour water again to check.
2. The plastic sheet in between the door metal and door pad is missing: this will let in rain water even if the door drain channel is clean
Thanks for that. The water leak seems to have stopped. Had a couple of more rains thereafter, with no leaky results. Will not poke around till next service.

***UPDATE***

***TANK FILL***

Fuel volume - 37.39 L
Odo reading - 25719 kms

FE - 16.79 kmpl

No comments till next service. She's chugging along nicely
Old 20th October 2012, 12:34   #202
BHPian

I've started getting lazy with this. But still. Never missed a log yet!

***UPDATE***

***TANK FILL***

Fuel volume - 37.96 L
Odo reading - 26353 kms

FE - 16.70 kmpl

***UPDATE***

***TANK FILL***

Fuel volume - 40.58 L
Odo reading - 27032 kms

FE - 16.73 kmpl

***UPDATE***

***TANK FILL***

Fuel volume - 37.40 L
Odo reading - 27707 kms

FE - 18.04 kmpl

Strange jump in FE readings in the end there. There was a bit of highway driving thanks to the NH7 Weekender festival in greater noida.
ByDesign is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2012, 00:25   #203
BHPian

Smile Re: Medium Grey Tank - New Palio Stile 1.3 MJD

Hi ! I guess i spotted you near safdarjung enclave. You must have seen a white i10 with atermarket wheels or a green nano ( i usually travel on either of the cars ). Saw you on friday and also flashed my lights. I guess its you mate.

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Medium Grey Tank - New Palio Stile 1.3 MJD-tbhp.jpg  

aditya.bhardwaj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 08:23   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
Hi ! I guess i spotted you near safdarjung enclave. You must have seen a white i10 with atermarket wheels or a green nano ( i usually travel on either of the cars ). Saw you on friday and also flashed my lights. I guess its you mate.

Regards
Hey Aditya. Thanks for posting the pic. That is indeed me, and I think I remember the white i10 you are talking about. I see a couple of team-bhp cars on that road (Africa Ave.), including an olive green swift with a live to drive sticker and a doctor sticker (MH Registration).

Now onto business.

***UPDATE***

***TANK FILL***

Fuel volume - 35.94 L
Odo reading - 28,386 kms

FE - 18.89 kmpl

Hello winter! Though I still use the AC in super heavy traffic to avoid all the CO. Plus, if I want to listen to some nice music, I usually have my windows up. Still haven't got time to service the ol' girl. I'm guessing I have till about 7,500 km interval since I'm running on mineral oil.
Old 23rd December 2012, 22:47   #205
BHPian

It took some time for me to go through the thread but a very informative one i must say.I need help here.Some issues with my palio mjd sdx.

1) Very irritating rattle from tail door area. it sounds like number plate rattle but on checking for the same it turned out not to be the one.

2) Head unit rattle while pulling the car from low RPM in higher gears.I want a permanent fix for this.

3) Creek from the seats at times. i have not been able to find the source. either it is the locking mechanism for the back or the sliding channel.

4) This is the most important one.Car is returning FE of 20kmpl on highway run without AC at constant speeds of 80-90. After touching the 100kmph mark engine begins to struggle and with great difficulty it manages to touch the 130 mark completely running out of breath.With the AC on , engine is just able to touch 120 mark and is returning 15.5 kmpl on pushing it to speeds beyond 100 kmph.

5) The wheels do not lock even if i stand on the brake pedal

I spoke to some mechanics they said if engine sump is damaged i will feel the loss of power(my engine sump has two dents and leaky seal) on the car and oil pump will be loaded more and load the engine in return.could anyone validate this?

my guess is it could be EGR problem.

If anyone has experienced this please throw some light on above listed issues and help me out.
antorquetik is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2012, 10:05   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antorquetik View Post
If anyone has experienced this please throw some light on above listed issues and help me out.
Most of them can be sorted out. You have not mentioned the mileage covered on your car and is it mainly driven on highways or city or a combination?

As you are a newbie, cannot send you a PM. Pls shoot me a mail. My id is my login@gmail.com to discuss one to one

Cheers
pareshraheja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2012, 12:57   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
Most of them can be sorted out. You have not mentioned the mileage covered on your car and is it mainly driven on highways or city or a combination?

As you are a newbie, cannot send you a PM. Pls shoot me a mail. My id is my login@gmail.com to discuss one to one

Cheers
My car has done around 42000 km. I would call it a 60:40 split between highway and city driving. Periodic maintenance has been carried out as per schedule.
antorquetik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2012, 17:47   #208
BHPian

Has anyone here had a dented oil sump? if yes, what were the consequences of driving with the same?
Old 26th December 2012, 21:06   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antorquetik View Post
Has anyone here had a dented oil sump? if yes, what were the consequences of driving with the same?
I did while I did my Bangalore - Bhutan - Sikkim - Bangalore drive recently. When trip meter was around 3500, I had pulled over at a mountain to take a leak. There was a big stone in front of my Palio and forgot about it. When I got into the car stone was in a blind spot. I moved the car and stone got stuck and dragged for 10 meters atleast. Reversed and moved on. All was well. When I was back to Bangalore and gave it for service trip meter was 8800, SA noticed a slight leak and medium. Dip stick reading was fine though. Got it replaced and shelled out some 2200 including labor.
funkykar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2012, 21:28   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
I did while I did my Bangalore - Bhutan - Sikkim - Bangalore drive recently. When trip meter was around 3500, I had pulled over at a mountain to take a leak. There was a big stone in front of my Palio and forgot about it. When I got into the car stone was in a blind spot. I moved the car and stone got stuck and dragged for 10 meters atleast. Reversed and moved on. All was well. When I was back to Bangalore and gave it for service trip meter was 8800, SA noticed a slight leak and medium. Dip stick reading was fine though. Got it replaced and shelled out some 2200 including labor.
I have two small dents on the sump. Nothing big. But there is a leak between the block and sump as sealant would have got disturbed due to the hit.

Should I replace my sump or just re-apply the sealant and put it back.

I have another stupid but smart solution. would swift or indica vista sump cost any cheaper? I could go for that if they are any cheaper.