Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 22nd August 2010, 19:23   #31
BHPian

***Alloy Update***
Just got my baby her first set of alloy wheels!
Went for one upsize, 14 inch 6.0's. I wanted to go for something with muscle. This really grabbed my attention. The other choice was between a black finish multi spoke 15 incher with a red inner line. It was a tough choice, but I decided this had to be it since it was a robust diesel rather than a quick sporty petrol like an i10 or what have you.

Pics are attached.

BRAND: HRS
Price: 13.2k for a set of 4
Dealer: Sai Mag Wheels, Delhi (Finding the place was a bit hectic, and the dirt roads in that part of town gave my palio a good thrashing. Mr. Gautam was especially helpful).

I haven't installed the wheels yet, I will be going to BK Tyres tomorrow, or in a couple of days to sell my old and buy my new tires.
Attached Images

Last edited by ByDesign : 22nd August 2010 at 19:28.
ByDesign is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2010, 20:04   #32
Senior - BHPian

I hope they are 98 PCD wheels and that you have a good time with them!

I have just switched from Yokohama A-drives to Michelin XM1+ and I miss the ride quality of the Yokos. It's just that Commonwealth Games destroyed two of my tyres.
architect is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 09:14   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
I hope they are 98 PCD wheels and that you have a good time with them!

I have just switched from Yokohama A-drives to Michelin XM1+ and I miss the ride quality of the Yokos. It's just that Commonwealth Games destroyed two of my tyres.
Yes, 98 PCD's. Will probably go for Michelins based on your input. I have a meeting with Mr. Atul from B K tyres tomorrow. Should be done by then.
ByDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 11:29   #34
h14
BHPian

Hi ByDesign

Congrats on you Palio. Hope you are enjoying every minute. Do post some pictures with the alloys. They look good.

Also, I managed to get 2 MJD's during this offer. Took delivery of them in June and the cars are just amazing. Both of them are 2008 Manufactured 1.3 SDX in Ozone Blue. I believe yours is a 2009 model. Will put up my experiences shortly.
h14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 19:56   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
Hi ByDesign

Congrats on you Palio. Hope you are enjoying every minute. Do post some pictures with the alloys. They look good.

Also, I managed to get 2 MJD's during this offer. Took delivery of them in June and the cars are just amazing. Both of them are 2008 Manufactured 1.3 SDX in Ozone Blue. I believe yours is a 2009 model. Will put up my experiences shortly.
Thanks h14, congrats on your 2 tanks too. I look forward to reading your writeup.

I'm getting the alloys installed tomorrow, so I'll post the pics then. Good luck.
Old 23rd August 2010, 21:10   #36
Senior - BHPian

I must say both you and h14 are very lucky to get your palios.Others in the forum are having a harrowing time getting theirs.Yours might the last of the brand new palios,which makes it special in itself.
Again perfect alloys,goes brilliantly colour of the car.
avishar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 21:49   #37
h14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
Thanks h14, congrats on your 2 tanks too. I look forward to reading your writeup.

I'm getting the alloys installed tomorrow, so I'll post the pics then. Good luck.
Thanks. I've put up my experiences in here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ip-report.html

Do check out the details of the rings that I had made inorder to make the after-market wheels hub-centric. Do check them out in my thread and let me know if you need any more info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
I must say both you and h14 are very lucky to get your palios.Others in the forum are having a harrowing time getting theirs.Yours might the last of the brand new palios,which makes it special in itself.
Again perfect alloys,goes brilliantly colour of the car.
Thx avishar. Indeed I consider myself very lucky and fortunate to have got the car. Hope the others will get it too. BTW, both my cars belong to the first lot manufactured!
h14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 22:02   #38
BHPian

New tires and alloys installed! Got 1500/- per old tire (didn't sell the spare). And 250/- per steel wheel. 7000/- in total for the old set, and the new tires cost 19,200/- for a set of 4.

Brand: Michelin XM1 +
Spec: 185/60 R14

My apologies for not posting a full pic of the car yet. I promise I will tomorrow.
After installing the new set of wheels, I've noticed the following things.

***500KM Update***

What I like

1. The car is so smooth now, it's hard to believe. It just glides over the roads.
2. Handling is much better, I take turns quicker with much more confidence.
3. The new alloys look wonderful on the car. Gives my baby new life.
4. The metallic rotating sound from the front wheel/bearing/axle or whatever seems to have decreased. Again, this is on the agenda for the Saturday 1st service.

What I didn't like or was unsure

1. The acceleration has decreased, or so it seems. Earlier, while driving quietly behind another car on a long stretch of road, I used to down shift to 3rd and go above 2k RPM. The car used to catapult out like a rocket and overtake the other car in a second and just keep on sky rocketing. Now it seems a bit more of an effort. I have to push slightly more to achieve the same. Any inputs guys?
2. Stones seem to get stuck in the treads, and the 'ticktickticktickticktick' sound with every turn of the tire drives me insane.
3. Certain bumps and irregularities on the road produce a strange effect inside the car. I mean, I drive the same way from work to office and back, and today with the new tires and alloys, a bump really made me jump and feel bad inside. Earlier, the car would just step on the bump like Godzilla stepping on say a small house. Easy.

Mr. Vignesh and H14, with regard to your hub centric rings, I'm guessing this removes the risk of the bolts being the sole carriers of the stress and strain felt on the tires. I read your post in your ownership thread H14, I was hoping to carry the conversation forward here since we can all be in it at once, instead of taking it to PM's.

I'm waiting for your inputs on the above guys. Thanks.

PS: One of the pics makes the wheel arch look massive. This is because this side was on a jack, lifted up.
Attached Images

Last edited by ByDesign : 24th August 2010 at 22:03.
Old 25th August 2010, 23:05   #39
BHPian

Before I begin, I'm updating this thread so frequently, i.e. every 100km until the 750km - 1000km mark. Then I take it for first service on 28th August 2010. I'm documenting all minor issues in my thread and will follow up after the first free service to see if all the issues are sorted out. This will also help me decide if I want to stay with this particular FIAT dealership or move to another one for servicing.

***600KM UPDATE***

1. The rotating metallic bearing sound has completely vanished. This is a great relief. I still feel however, that acceleration has dropped, and am waiting for feedback from you guys about whether this is normal when upgrading tire size.

2. When I drive with AC on (which is always to test FE properly), the engine cooling fan comes on after some time, and the engine practically sounds like an Airbus A320 before take off. It's pretty darn loud. Is it supposed to be this loud?

3. I was killing time at a red light the other day, and I turned off the AC button while carefully watching idle RPM. It was around 800RPM, and as soon as I turned the AC off, it rose to just slightly above 800RPM! Shouldn't it be less load on the engine if I do this? Strange.

4. An autorickshaw made love to my front bumper this morning on the way to work. It was raining cats and dogs and visibility was extremely poor, and the poor auto guy had to swerve (well, he didn't have to, but he did anyway!) to avoid a big pot hole and he grazed my front left bumper extremely lightly. Some of his green paint swapped with my medium grey and he gave me a nice long white scratch to. No dents whatsoever, but this will need a touch up. I reached office horribly upset, but then decided it's all part of the game. Love all I say!

5. My brake pedal hisses every time I press and let go. Its like air escaping from a cylinder. There's no issues in brake performance whatsoever, but I'm wondering why I have to hear my car breath like that!

6. My clutch pedal squeaks when I press it. It's like a loose foot plate, or an ungreased spring. The list of small issues keeps building up for Saturday's first free service!

Last edited by ByDesign : 25th August 2010 at 23:10.
Old 26th August 2010, 09:04   #40
BHPian

Quote:
PS: One of the pics makes the wheel arch look massive. This is because this side was on a jack, lifted up.
Palio Stile's wheel arch (especially rear) is anyways massive - even with no jack. That's another thing I too don't like in the car!

Quote:
I reached office horribly upset, but then decided it's all part of the game. Love all I say!
That's the spirit I say!
ch.nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2010, 17:08   #41
BHPian

***750km First Free Service***

Service Center: Elegant Motors Pvt. Ltd., Patparganj Industrial Area, Delhi

Total Price for service: Nil

The place was a bit hard to find for me, but never mind. The shop floor workers are a bit lazy and chilled out, but they didn't mind me hanging around the car and asking a dozen questions. I actually stood under the car when it was lifted up on the rig, and I asked about everything. Secondly, to point out the metallic rotating sound, they took the car for a test drive with me. Mr. Sharma who runs the place (workshop manager perhaps) is very helpful and well spoken (not to the shop floor workers though ) and already knows Architect from T-BHP who recommended me to go here in the first place. Thanks Architect!

A few bolts were tightened underneath of the steering and suspension and the sound vanished altogether. The shop floor mechanic said those bolts might have been the problem since they shouldn't have been loose.

Car was washed and made to look spanking new all shiny and I happily drove away. I spent half an hour just enjoying the huge smooth Akshardham roads before I drove home.

I've attached some pics since she was looking so beautiful

Attached Thumbnails
Medium Grey Tank - New Palio Stile 1.3 MJD-20100829_135311_122_null.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 29th August 2010, 18:59   #42
Senior - BHPian

Did i mention the alloys look fabulous?
Looks like you took everyones advice and de-stickered the car.Perfecto!
avishar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2010, 19:37   #43
BHPian

Congrats for the Fiat. After all those years, the design still looks so good. And at 3.7 lacs its a steal. The MJD is a real treat to drive.
Wish I had the moolah to invest in it at this moment!
Yours look pretty good in that medium grey avatar. Wishing you loads of happy miles with the Palio.

Last edited by Utopian : 29th August 2010 at 19:39.
Utopian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2010, 19:38   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Did i mention the alloys look fabulous?
Looks like you took everyones advice and de-stickered the car.Perfecto!
Thanks Avishar! I removed the dealership stickers with all the irritating numbers etc. A couple of T-BHP stickers will also go in due time.
Old 30th August 2010, 22:13   #45
BHPian

***1st Fuel Efficiency Calculation***

Trip:
672 KM
No. of Litres of Diesel consumed during trip:
43 L
Total Odometer Reading: 846km
Fuel Efficiency: 15.6 kmpl

Other points to note are
  • First free service done at 750km
  • Tyres upsized midway during first tank up. That means the FE of 15.6kmpl is with the new tyres and alloy wheels @ 185/60 R14.
  • A/C was on 100% of running time.
2nd FE calculation has begun, tank filled up again today on 30th August 2010. I'm maintaining all logs meticulously and will post an excel sheet much later on in my cars life (and mine).