Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 4th September 2010, 12:17   #46
Senior - BHPian

Need to choose a set of alloy wheels.
I Brought home a Jazzy Honda-moto_0101.jpg
Some Taiwan Brand AVA for 17K

I Brought home a Jazzy Honda-moto_0102.jpg
Same Taiwan Brand AVA for 17K

I Brought home a Jazzy Honda-moto_0105.jpg
Stamford SSW for 15K from Dealer

I Brought home a Jazzy Honda-moto_0106.jpg
Original Honda Alloy for 10K

I Brought home a Jazzy Honda-a2017.jpg
Jazz X Alloys for 15K

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp View Post
Its not so much the gear, but the rpm - in the initial stages, keep the rpm above 2200 and it should be ok. This means if you want torque, and are going slower than 40-45kmph, you should downshift to 2nd gear. As you put in more mileage, the engine would behave better at lower rpm's. So that figure of 2200 will gradually become 1800.
so are you suggesting I should drive at higher rpm's during the run in period? I am mostly driving around 1k-2k range considering the city traffic doesnt allow more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratim View Post
Devarshi,
Very good car in an eye catching colour. True that Honda has omitted some much sought after features like ACC, driver's map light, auto door locking, lightened power window switches et al. But, the ease of driving, ultra smooth i-vtec and its frugal nature might just cancel out the lack of features. Also please note that the engine will open up after 6-7k kms and you will get the torques you wanted at lower gears. The same thing happened with me when my car was new; 2nd gear seemed to be non-existant. Now that's not the case and things are lot better. Being the same engine family, I would expect similar behaviour in your car as well. So, keep driving and the more you drive, I am sure your smile will get broader.

-Pratim
Thanks Pratim. The car does lack some necessary features but if meets the complete list of requirements we have.

I hope the engine opens up like you say. It has already done about 1500kms. But I have heard about lack of torque on most Honda cars so I am a bit skeptical about it.
devarshi84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2010, 13:03   #47
Senior - BHPian

Devarshi, IMHO, the OE Honda Alloys look classy and understated. Besides, you are getting them at a pretty good price (10k!).
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2010, 14:22   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Devarshi, IMHO, the OE Honda Alloys look classy and understated. Besides, you are getting them at a pretty good price (10k!).
Agree with Sajo. The OE looks great and so does Jazz X. If you can shell out 15k, get the Jazz X alloys, will go well with your car color.

Good luck.
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2010, 23:12   #49
akp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
so are you suggesting I should drive at higher rpm's during the run in period? I am mostly driving around 1k-2k range considering the city traffic doesnt allow more.
Yes, basically that's what I am saying - I think in the initial period, it is better to be in a lower gear (hence higher rpm) - that would put less strain on the engine. So I would say try and be in the 2k-3k range mostly rather than in the 1k-2k range.
akp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 09:55   #50
Senior - BHPian

Update: Yesterday while opening the doors I felt them to be flimsy. But then i realized I was spoiled by maruti with their crude handles. Honda's door opening system is slick compared to maruti's and requires little efforts. Another brownie point for Honda.

@sajo and Chevelle: You both have an American car in your display pic and you both recommended me the same alloy design. Thanks for the input. The price is good and so are the understated looks. But will that not be too common?

For now I am going with white SSW after looking at some pictures of Mugen Jazz/Fit and some other tuner Jazz/Fit with similar designs.

@akp: I am heeding to your advice. FE had dropped down by 3kmpl but I guess that's ok if the car gets longetivity through this. I intend to do this for upto 5000 kms. That should be enough.
Old 8th September 2010, 13:09   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post

@sajo and Chevelle: You both have an American car in your display pic and you both recommended me the same alloy design. Thanks for the input. The price is good and so are the understated looks. But will that not be too common?

For now I am going with white SSW after looking at some pictures of Mugen Jazz/Fit and some other tuner Jazz/Fit with similar designs.
While i honor your choice, the 10 spoke design you selected is pretty common too. The only alloy design that is a bit 'hatke' from the 4 photos you have posted is the 2nd one. Even that one is a bit common but its color combo is 'hatke'. But none of these are unique. You may as well search some more. You may have more options. Here are some i found

Car Alloy Wheel - Alloy Wheels, Mag Wheels, Car Alloy Wheels and Car Accessories Wholeseller & Retailer

Go ahead with what your heart and pocket says.
Attached Images

Last edited by chevelle : 8th September 2010 at 13:14.
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 16:02   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
While i honor your choice, the 10 spoke design you selected is pretty common too. The only alloy design that is a bit 'hatke' from the 4 photos you have posted is the 2nd one. Even that one is a bit common but its color combo is 'hatke'. But none of these are unique. You may as well search some more. You may have more options. Here are some i found
Go ahead with what your heart and pocket says.
Thanks for the extensive designs. I am yet to select on one. Might probably select one today.

Update: Had visited Bharuch yesterday. The road is a six lane luxury. My Jazz achieved 24.3 kmpl at a constant 70-75 kmph with a/c. What I have understood is it doesnt help having a stable foot but otherwise. It sure is an pain in the leg work to maintain that figure.
Attached Thumbnails
I Brought home a Jazzy Honda-24.3.jpg  

Last edited by devarshi84 : 17th September 2010 at 16:04.
Old 27th September 2010, 09:40   #53
BHPian

Question / Msg for Adimicra -

I have been reading your post on Honda Jazz and I thought of PMing you (but could not).

Am in the process of finalizing a vehicle and Jazz is under serious consideration. Why - for the space, 5 people can sit without much of a problem, good engine and some basic creature comforts inside the vehicle. However, I had one question. Does the car have a problem in pulling when 5 passengers are seated and when it in a gradient - especially when the vehicle has to start say in a traffic signal. Having stayed in Hyderabad, I do know that there are lot of points which are in a gradient.

Your inputs will enable me to take a decision. The other vehicles that am considering are Manza, Fiesta. I also took a TD of 1.4 Punto but seating 5 passengers is going to be a tad tough.

@ Mods - Hope this is ok with you. If not, please let me know where to post this question. Thanks.
aaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2010, 11:22   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

@aaren; Obvious answer. Honda engines have to be revved to get juice out of them. So do not potter around in 4th at 1200rpm. You will have to shift down, and then things will happen. Apart from this no issues with the Honda power plant.

Also, as the load increases you need yo shift down earlier, and to a lower gear! I even had this in my Carb Esteem. On this highway we had to shift down to overtake. If we were four up then I had to shift down an additional gear.
sgiitk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2010, 16:45   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaren View Post
Question / Msg for Adimicra -

I have been reading your post on Honda Jazz and I thought of PMing you (but could not).

Am in the process of finalizing a vehicle and Jazz is under serious consideration. Why - for the space, 5 people can sit without much of a problem, good engine and some basic creature comforts inside the vehicle. However, I had one question. Does the car have a problem in pulling when 5 passengers are seated and when it in a gradient - especially when the vehicle has to start say in a traffic signal. Having stayed in Hyderabad, I do know that there are lot of points which are in a gradient.

Your inputs will enable me to take a decision. The other vehicles that am considering are Manza, Fiesta. I also took a TD of 1.4 Punto but seating 5 passengers is going to be a tad tough.

@ Mods - Hope this is ok with you. If not, please let me know where to post this question. Thanks.

Hey man, do not worry about power - the jazz has more than adequate power. In fact, it has one of the best power/weight ratios among hatchbacks. Even the low end response is fine, if not great. But as said by @sgiitk, if you want to use all the horses available, press the throttle little more and revv the engine hard.. you won't be disappointed.
Hyderabad has lot of gradients and I have never faced any issue, though I have driven the car with 5 people only once. Hope it helps.
Which variant are you considering? I think it makes sense to go for the Select version (with alloys) and make sure you bargain hard for discounts. If you have any further queries, feel free to PM me or post it in my ownership thread ( which would be active by tonight).
adimicra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2010, 13:02   #56
Senior - BHPian

@Devarshi: Congratulations. Love the Jazz for what it is.

I have been driving the OHC 1.3 / 90 Bhp which has comparable power to the Jazz. I also have the Civic which has a lot more powerful engine but lacks low end torque. Now, I am thinking of buying the Jazz myself, my only concern being - how much more refined is the engine compared to the OHC in terms of power and does the Jazz suffer from the low end torque, which is a common problem with the Civic?! Should I or can I base my decision on the engine specs and power itself? If so, should I consider other options like the I20 1.4 and the Polo 1.6 ?
9thsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2010, 14:06   #57
Senior - BHPian

Thank you 9thsphinx.

The jazz is a beautiful car to drive in the city. I have also had occasional cracks on the highway. Honestly, like every Honda this car too lacks low end torque and needs to be revved. My car has yet to do 5K after which as per other Honda owners the low end torque increases. Third gear has some serious torque issues too. But I am yet to find any trouble driving in the city since we do not need a sudden splurge.

The engine is definitely refined and silent.

You can look at the new i20 Kappa VVT engine for some good torque. Also consider the Maruti K-series 1.2.

In my opinion you should take a test drive of all the cars on your daily route to determine what's best for you.
Old 28th September 2010, 14:24   #58
Senior - BHPian

@devarshi: AFAIK, torque depends on the rpm and not gear selection. You might be driving at a very low rpm in 3rd gear and that's why you might be facing issues. If you are near about 2000 rpm, I do not see any issues. But yes, the low end torque is not great but adequate and you need to revv the engine to extract maximum juice. Having driven the OHC a few times but quite a while back, I feel Jazz has better low end torque than the OHC.

I would like to know the comments of other owners on this as well.

@9thsphinx: Have you taken a test drive? If not, take a TD and see if it suits your driving style. If you are kind of reluctant to rev the engine, this may not give you great driving pleasure. But the refinement is extremely good, most probably the best!
adimicra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 15:51   #59
Senior - BHPian

Well, the car certainly does drive in the 3rd gear. Compared to other cars, lack of torque is quite evident.

Update: I am still waiting for the select kit to arrive. Which also includes the alloy wheels.
Old 2nd October 2010, 10:08   #60
Senior - BHPian

Update: Found out some tricks after reading the user manual.

1. The Information display stick can be rotated to adjust dash illumination brightness.

2. The power windows can be operated after stopping the car as long as the key is not removed. The timing is 45 secs.

Still reading the manual. Will post if anything new comes up.