Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 9th September 2010, 12:28   #46
BHPian

Just a small update. Gave my car for the first servicing on Tuesday at KHT Motors. With my limited running, there were no issues with the car, except for the reverse gear which doesn't engage properly sometimes. They only charged for some consumables and the total charge came to Rs. 105 .
Car seems to be running more smoothly after the service ( maybe it's just my feeling ) .

While returning from the service center, my wife was telling me about how almost every car in Bangalore has a dent in the rear. The traffic was moderate and we stopped about 50m from the traffic lights behind other vehicles. The road had a slight gradient and i had pressed my brake and held it instead of using the hand brake. Just when i was about to start, I absent mindedly released the brake and tried to move forward, but there was one two wheeler guy who was parked just behind my car without any gap. The car must have rolled back like 10 cms and it hit his bike. There was an audible sound and i thought there must have been a big dent in the car.

The bike guy kept looking at my bumper and i expected the worst. Before i could get down, the 2 wheeler guy backed up his bike and revved it and ran away. This almost confirmed that something bad had definitely happened. I couldn't get down as the traffic light turned green and we had almost reached our home. So we continued home in a sad mood. Once we reached home, the first thing my wife did was to go back and check the rear, before even opening the gate. She said there was no dent and i felt relieved.

After parking the car, I got down and checked. There was nothing on the car, only some tyre marks on the dust where the biked touched the bumper. There was not even a scratch on it .
Newpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 16:28   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
After parking the car, I got down and checked. There was nothing on the car, only some tyre marks on the dust where the biked touched the bumper. There was not even a scratch on it .
Good for you ! You already had your share of scratches and dents earlier . Yes these things happen in India, can't really help it, minor scratches and dents.

Once on ORR stretch this guy was on a bike with big empty oil plastic container hanging on either side of his bike. He was trying to squeeze thru a BMTC bus and my car at a red light stop signal when the traffic was not even moving. He bumps into my car and the BMTC, but what can we do can't get out of the car and try to argue with that guy at a signal as you never know when it will turn green, Just gave him a stern look. BMTC wont bother about scratches and dents but its me cursing all the way to office thinking of the damage done, luckily nothing just a faint mark on the paint.
samsan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 16:31   #48
Senior - BHPian

Hey Newpunter, first of all "Huge Sigh" for no more Scratches or Damages on your Italian Black Beauty. I am pretty sure U couldn't have asked for more!!

While going through your last post, I almost could predict the Happy ending part since I had a similar incident on my old Car, Santro xing. During a drive through Ulsoor once in that car, a Rickshaw driver thought that he could test his ride's toughness and gave a Nudge at the back which at that moment sounded like a pretty loud "Thud" to me. Idiot did not even stop and I literally chased him down in my Car. Got out of the car and asked him to explain his actions and he said "Nothing Happened Sir". I Checked and double checked but not even a Hair line scratch on the car. Before I could embarass myself more, I apologized to him and sent him on his way. Ever since, I was wondering what was the "Thud" all about and how did that not leave any mark on the car. In fact there was one instance where an accidental carass of a lady's handbag who happened to pass by the car, had left a pretty ugly scratch on the door.
Now, I guess I have company for pondering over the same thought!!

Last edited by Vik0728 : 9th September 2010 at 16:37.
Vik0728 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 12:19   #49
BHPian

Went on my first long trip ( well not exactly long, but around 130 Kms one way ) to Lepakshi in Andhra Pradesh on the 2nd of October. Finally put some mileage on my car.

The roads were very good till the turn to Lepakshi and the car felt awesome to drive. Maintained the speed limits till the Devanahalli airport but then let her loose a little bit once i was on the proper highway. The car felt effortless and planted at high speed. However, I didn't cross 120 Kmph as I didn't want to take any risks on my first long trip on my car. The car felt like it had a lot of grunt left even at 120.

Felt a bit tired after the journey and my back was hurting a bit. Seems like i need to adjust my seating position properly.

Total distance travelled for the day was around 276.5 Kms and the mileage of the whole trip came to 14.3 Km/L with 100% AC on with around 30 kms on bad roads and another 30 kms in Bangalore traffic. First time the car has returned such good mileage and if i had kept it around the 100 Kmph range, it would have returned above 15 Km/L easily .

A few pics from the trip:

Name:  DSC04167.jpg
Views: 1582
Size:  267.9 KB
Topped up at Shell near Big Bazaar on OMR before the journey.

Name:  DSC04170.jpg
Views: 1663
Size:  274.0 KB

Name:  DSC04173.jpg
Views: 1641
Size:  134.1 KB
The road was very good and there was very little traffic both ways.

Name:  DSC04276.jpg
Views: 1581
Size:  280.5 KB
Since we reached early, we got a good parking spot near the temple. The parking space got a bit busy later.

Name:  DSC04335.jpg
Views: 1576
Size:  287.6 KB
The Lepakshi Nandi statue in the background.

Name:  DSC04340.jpg
Views: 1716
Size:  243.1 KB

Name:  DSC04343.jpg
Views: 1548
Size:  238.8 KB

Name:  DSC04345.jpg
Views: 1560
Size:  221.7 KB

Name:  DSC04349.jpg
Views: 1551
Size:  208.5 KB

Last edited by Newpunter : 4th October 2010 at 12:23.
Old 4th October 2010, 12:45   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice pictures there. The car actually looks great with the blackened number plate in the picture.

close to 15 kmpl with 100% AC is a nice mileage for the current odo reading. This is bound to improve by atleast .5-1 kmpl
nkrishnap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 17:50   #51
BHPian

Thanks. Yes, I'm expecting the mileage to improve once i put more miles on the car. I'm planning a few trips nearby since there are a lot of long weekends coming up. I did get around 15.4 Km/L while I was on the highway cruising between 100-120 kmph. The mileage got reduced due to the bad road and the traffic once we crossed Devanahalli while coming back.
Old 2nd November 2010, 15:09   #52
BHPian

Time for another update.

Visited Shivanasamudra and Somanathapura during the weekend on the 31st October. The engine has opened up a lot and is extremely smooth to drive now. The drive was very comfortable and the steering was a pleasure to use, especially when navigating the pot holed roads around Somanathapura.

We went with a friend's family and they were asking me why the rear windows wouldn't go down all the way. I didn't have any answer except telling them that it is a safety feature . Any idea why this is the case ?

My friend is a maruti fan so she kept comparing my Punto to her Wagon R and predictably the Wagon R always came on top. Ofcourse I was offended that my car was being compared to a tinbox on wheels ( no offense to the Wagon R owners , I know it is a very practical vehicle ) but I let it pass.

But when we encountered some bad roads ( and there were a lot of it ), the Punto's bottom scraped the road a lot of times and then there was the inevitable "Wagon R is much better" comment and I couldn't defend it. My heart did skip a beat every time there was this scraping sound from the bottom of the car. So when we finally stopped at Somanathapura, I bent down and checked the bottom to see if there were any dents or scratches. Again , there was not even a scratch .

I reset the trip meter once I was on Bannerghatta road. I checked the mileage on the MID while I was nearing Malavalli and was surprised to see that it was showing 17.5 Km/L. Ofcourse, by the end of the trip, the mileage was much lesser but it was still good enough for me.

A few details of the trip and a few pics :

Total Distance : 360 Kms
Overall Mileage : 16 Km/ L

Name:  DSC04665.jpg
Views: 1337
Size:  86.8 KB

Name:  DSC04683.jpg
Views: 1334
Size:  321.3 KB
Old 2nd November 2010, 22:14   #53
BANNED

Quote:
We went with a friend's family and they were asking me why the rear windows wouldn't go down all the way. I didn't have any answer except telling them that it is a safety feature . Any idea why this is the case ?
I think it is because of the fact that Punto has a much longer glass.

See the photo below.
(Ouch! Its really hard to deface a beautiful Punto even in paintbrush )

Maruti 800 has a quarter glass like thing. So only a anterior 2/3rd of the glass goes down. Thats why it is able to go down fully. The area highlighted in yellow never goes down.

Hope I am able to answer your query.
Attached Images

PaddleShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2010, 12:42   #54
BHPian

Ah, that makes it very clear. Thanks for explaining that.
By the way, is anyone able to see the 2nd pic in my previous post ? Maybe I have upload it again?
Old 3rd November 2010, 14:17   #55
Senior - BHPian

Actually no. It IS a safety feature, in case you have kids at the back. Not only FIAT, many other brands too share this safety feature.
DRIV3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2010, 18:08   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My friend is a maruti fan so she kept comparing my Punto to her Wagon R and predictably the Wagon R always came on top. Ofcourse I was offended that my car was being compared to a tinbox on wheels ( no offense to the Wagon R owners , I know it is a very practical vehicle ) but I let it pass.
Aah. It seems like we're in same boat! My mother finds herself much happy comparing our Fiat Punto with our Maruti Wagon-R. . I too feel very offended to hear such comments. After all, Maruti Wagon-R is just a car!*

And, trust me, there is no point in fighting with those people. I do believe that we can never change their perceptions. So, let them do so!

* No offense intended. FYI, we've both Maruti Wagon-R & Fiat Punto at home.

Quote:
We went with a friend's family and they were asking me why the rear windows wouldn't go down all the way. I didn't have any answer except telling them that it is a safety feature. Any idea why this is the case ?
I do agree with DRIV3R.It's a safety feature.

And next time when someone makes you irritated by asking this question, make sure that you roll up the windows and switch ON the AC

Quote:
Total Distance : 360 Kms
Overall Mileage : 16 Km/ L
That's a great mileage. Seriously, I never thought that one will get similar figures from a petrol Fiat Punto.

Was this mileage achieved with A/C ON all the time?

Btw, you've got some awesome pictures there brother. Do keep us updated.

Always wear your seatbelt & drive safe.

Amith

Last edited by Klub Class : 3rd November 2010 at 18:09.
Klub Class is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2010, 19:08   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Ah, that makes it very clear. Thanks for explaining that.
By the way, is anyone able to see the 2nd pic in my previous post ? Maybe I have upload it again?
Need one road info for Lepakshi, which road did you take and how is the road condition, planning to go there on 5th November.
asdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 12:59   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Aah. It seems like we're in same boat! My mother finds herself much happy comparing our Fiat Punto with our Maruti Wagon-R. . I too feel very offended to hear such comments. After all, Maruti Wagon-R is just a car!*
And, trust me, there is no point in fighting with those people. I do believe that we can never change their perceptions. So, let them do so!

* No offense intended. FYI, we've both Maruti Wagon-R & Fiat Punto at home.

That's a great mileage. Seriously, I never thought that one will get similar figures from a petrol Fiat Punto.

Was this mileage achieved with A/C ON all the time?

Btw, you've got some awesome pictures there brother. Do keep us updated.
Always wear your seatbelt & drive safe.
Amith
Thanks. I get quite angry when my friend compares it to her Wagon-R. I feel like saying " What do you know about cars, you drive an ugly tin box" , but control myself .

I was quite surprised with the mileage too, but it was probably because I was driving a sedate 60-70 and my friend didn't let me switch on the AC ( I almost always keep the AC on while driving ).

Regarding the seat belt thing, I always wear the seat belt but my wife keeps complaining when i ask her to put on the seat belt. So on this particular trip, when I asked her to put on her seat belt, she said it was ok. I slammed the brakes and angrily told her put it on. She probably got frightened and put it on. Ofcourse, she didn't talk to me for a while after that and i had to sweet talk to her again to get her back into the mood .

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Need one road info for Lepakshi, which road did you take and how is the road condition, planning to go there on 5th November.
Hi asdon, sorry i was on vacation and returned to Bangalore only today. Did you complete this trip? The road to Lepakshi is quite straight forward. You only have to follow the NH from Hebbal all the way to the AP border. The turn to Lepakshi is around 6 kms from the Toll gate. Once you take the left turn from the NH, the road is a mixed bag. When i visited last month, they were laying the road at some places. Where the road work was complete, it was very good but it was bad on some stretches ( although no where as bad as what I encountered on my Sivanasamudra trip ) . The NH is a delight to drive though and the traffic is very light too.
Old 16th November 2010, 13:23   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

OT: Newpunter, that was a nice plan you had, surprise hard braking and then sweet talk.

I had a different idea though. I silently pulled over the car to side of the road and switched off the car. The wait went on for a couple of mins, before my wife broke the silence.

Wife - "Why did you stop the car?"
Me - "Its not safe to drive the car this way?"
Wife - "What happened all of a sudden?"
Me - "Not wearing seat belts is a safety issue and can be hazardous?"
Wife - with an angry look "Are you not going to drive without me wearing seat belts?"
Me - With a smile "A firm No"

From then on, she buckles up even before i start the car.
nkrishnap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 21:39   #60
BHPian

Default Re: My 2nd Love - Fiat Punto 1.2 Emotion - Initial Review

Time for another update.
We visited Shravanabelagola-Halebidu-Belur and Chikmagalur over the Christmas weekend. This was my 3rd long trip and the longest trip so far. Started on the 24th at around 7 AM and the trip ended at 7 PM on the 26th.

Total trip Distance : 754 Kms
Average Mileage : 14.2 Kms ( Including a little City driving and around 100 kms of Ghat road driving, both up and down with around 70% AC )
Total Fuel Consumed : 53 Litres Approx.
Average Speed : 45 Km/ Hr ( Over the whole trip )
Maximum Speed : 135 Km/ hr

The Car performed great on the ghat roads. I was driving in the 3rd gear for most of the time during the uphill drive and 3rd or 4th on the drive downhill. The steering felt fabulous during the turns and i enjoyed the drive on the ghats a lot.

My Punto was impeccable on the bad roads in Chikmagalur, Hassan and especially near Hiremagalur where the roads are non existent for a couple of kms. I was behind a Swift when we entered this bad patch and the Swift was crawling to get past this road while the Punto simply brushed aside those potholes without any problem and most importantly, without passing all those vibrations to those sitting inside .

I had a lot of neck pains after the first day, probably due to me not being used to such long drives. But from the second day on, i had no problems at all. Also, I didn't have any back problems at all, unlike my first long trip to Lepakshi.

I did miss the seat height adjustment in the Emotion model, which would have helped provide better thigh support for me. I wonder if there is any way i can get this installed.

Overall, I was delighted with the performance of the Punto on this trip. My friends who travelled with me on this trip were impressed with my car too. The mileage returned was decent too considering the kind of roads we travelled on.

Seems like I am having some problems uploading the pics. Will upload the pics later.

Last edited by Newpunter : 28th December 2010 at 21:41.