Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread
Old 18th August 2010, 19:18   #1
Default Got Punto'd

This is my first post in the forum. The search for my car journey began in Jun 2007 when I moved to Bombay after my MBA. But 1 week of travelling between Bandra-NarimanPoint in a cab made me realise a car is useless in this place. So i was happily roaming around in my Apache till I had switched jobs to move to Gurgaon. Two days in the so called "Millenium city" made me realise that you can't survive without a car here. So the hunt began in Mar 2010. Me being a petrohead, the diesels were obviously ruled out. Budget was upto 7 lacs. I was not ready to read too much into the specs as long as the car appeals to the heart.

After seeing the rattling my friend's Swift went through after a couple of years decided against the Swift. The choices left were the i20, punto and the Polo.

The steering felt like a plastic steering in the i20. I was not at all impressed by the handling. The ac also seemed way off. Dad has an Accent and I have really loved the car. Hyundai's service has been reliable and efficient. But somehow the car didn't appeal to me.

I went to the volkswagen showroom and gurgaon and had a mockery of a test drive around the showroom. The car felt solid but slightly underpowered. Neat interiors and quality build. But the 4 months waiting time was too much. I will not last for 1 month in this town.

So finally went to ABS motors. What a looker she is! Gorgeous isan understatement. Test drove the Punto Emotion Pack Petrol. I found the initial response sluggish but the in-gear drivability pretty good. Not a scorcher but definitely not sluggish. The handling was out of the world. Loved taking the car through the corners.Dad's first car was fiat padmini and it always carries a special place in my heart. Decided to book the emotion as i didn't like the quality of OEM and wanted to go for after market alloys. Next week dad was in town for a conference and hence made him pay the advance for an exotica red FIRE emotion. Total OTR was 5,41,000. Took a loan for 4,20,000 from HDFC. The car was delivered to me on April 21st.

Then spent the next one month trying to get approved to join team-bhp. Thanks to all the wonderful ownership experiences of the members esp anshuman, vignesh and sumit. This forum made my car purchase a breeze.

I changed the OEM to a Kenwood HU and rainbow speakers in the front from Driven, delhi.

I had to suddenly go to the US for a couple of months and hence couldn't post an ownership experience. Just came back from the US and the car is due for its service. The car had a small issue of the connector to the coolant being cut off. So once got stranded between Delhi and Gurgaon. I had to call fiat roadside assistance and the car got sent to Dhingra motors. They fixed the issue next day with zero bill and after that there has been no issues. I have driven around 1700 kms so far. The car is so such a pleasure to ride. Every time i sat in my friend's civic/corolla in the US i kept asking him about the tyre pressure whenver we went over a speed breaker. . Then I realised I have got pampered by the Punto's ability to handle bad roads. The car really brings a smile every time I take her out. Nothing like driving a good car with Ilayaraja's music playing and with minimal ac.

Please bear with me for the pictures as I am off to my native place for my engagement this Sunday. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks. Again, thanks a ton to everyone in this forum...
Old 18th August 2010, 20:21   #2

Congrats on both your car and your engagement. Seems like most of the new cars on T BHP are Puntos these days. Fiat should start advertising on our forum instead of the TV .

By the way, did you buy the 1.2 Emotion or the 1.4 one? From the price, I think it is a 1.2 one, but you cannot be sure coz I am comparing with the price in Bangalore, which are much higher than the rest of India.

Last edited by Newpunter : 18th August 2010 at 20:22.
Old 18th August 2010, 20:34   #3
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations on the car! Please note that Team-BHP does not permit booking / buying experience threads in the Test-Drives section anymore. For the benefit of members & guests alike, it is now imperative to include a complete report on the car (the driving experience / comfort / features, what you like, what you don't like etc.).

This thread is temporarily closed. Please PM me or report this post once you are ready to update with a complete driving report; that's when it shall be re-opened. Thanks for your support.
Closed Thread