Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 4th August 2011, 22:08   #151
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My Superior White Alto K10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econotest View Post
Namaste - I have noted with interest the comments on the fuel consumption of this vehicle. May I introduce mysef - my name is Peter Kirchem and I am the Managing Director of Econotest Engineering in the UK who manufacture the equipment that has been used to test this vehicle.
As this is an open forum I have no intention of making any postings that have any sort of commercial slant - anyway I get fed up with work after 5pm!! - but if I can in any way contribute to the discussion on the general topic of fuel consumption I would be delighted to do so. We do alot of fuel consumption testing and have done so for over 20 years and with the appalling price of petrol and diesel it has become a very emotive and relevant topic these days. If anyone has any questions or comments do let me know.
I have been to India many many times in conjunction with our work and love the country . Indeed I was in Jaipur only a few weeks ago where I visited a Maruti garage and saw for myself this great car. Peter
Hi, Namaste ji, I have gone through your post and I would like to inform you sir that after this test on the ECONOTEST my car Maruti Alto K10 is same as it was with 8.9 to 9.7 km/ltrs.It is 4 months old and done 2800 kms.
These Maruti guys at their A.S.S. are giving all sorts of excuses instead of coming out with solution and rectification for poor F.E.They dont even agree that there can be a manufecturing defect.
These jokers promise to me that all parameters will be checked before we go for test drive, but I feel that it is not done.
Now the report they generate after test they themself dont know how to read it.
Now another dealer has called me on Saturday for another ECONOTEST for the same complaint,saying earlier dealer must not have done good job..
It is like pointing fingers. Now I am Maruti Suzuki's regular customer for F.C tests.hahahahahahah.
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2011, 21:41   #152
BHPian

This may be a bit off topic however recently have seen a friends' car where he was continuously reporting low fuel average from his car (Alto regular LXi).

One fine morning his wife found the cleaner siphoning off fuel from his fuel lines by opening the bonnet.

Do check whether someone is not fiddling around with the fuel in your cars.

Hope this helps.
mmmjgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 10:52   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
This may be a bit off topic however recently have seen a friends' car where he was continuously reporting low fuel average from his car (Alto regular LXi).

One fine morning his wife found the cleaner siphoning off fuel from his fuel lines by opening the bonnet.

Do check whether someone is not fiddling around with the fuel in your cars.

Hope this helps.
I have also come across petrol theft in high rise societies and car park in Delhi. There were even cases where miscreants would loosen the petrol filter of M800 at a traffic light and raise a cry to grab your attention.

That is one of the reasons for carrying out a thorough test your self. Fill up the tank, take it for a long drive and fill it up again. Even if you have to spend some money taking an aimless drive, at least you will know what the actual FE can be, and then take other measure to check for extraneous conditions like petrol leakage etc.

By the way, my K10 has done one year and 3800km, and in humid Delhi weather is giving me 11 with AC in a bumper to bumper traffic (for example - total time 30min, actual driving time 10min, hence AC on for 20min at idle) and short drives (1-2km each way). And this is the same car which gave me 19+ with Ac on the highway last month!
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2011, 14:44   #154
BHPian

David,

First of all, thank you for sharing your Dhantenan experience, and lots of photos! I am getting my Alto K10 on Monday. I have a few questions with regards to the ICE setup. I am getting that done at the dealership itself since I'm transplanting the ICE from my 800.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Murx View Post
I thought of removing the parcel tray and installing the small speakers at the sides but then second thought leave it, not a problem.
I see that you have installed the speakers on the original MGA parcel tray itself. While it definitely looks nice in stock, how is the sound quality from the rear speakers? Does the tray vibrate to the bass or does it handle it pretty well? Reason is, I plan to get a separate wooden / MDF tray instead and would like to decide if that is better or worse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie69 View Post
For boot space, you can remove the parcel tray and install 2 small speaker boxes at the sides. It sure will increase the boot space!
I had this setup in my 800's boot but it involved drilling some holes (power screwing actually) into the body for fastening the angles that hold the boxes down. I agree that it is a good idea to save *some* boot space but the sales executive suggested I use the parcel tray instead, and disconnect the rear speakers to remove the tray if I needed to use the boot for luggage.

I have retained the boxes and might use them in my K10 if they fit, and only if they can be installed without any drilling or any other sort of mutilation to the body! I doubt if there is another way. Some adhesive perhaps?

David, do let us know if you've considered this setup or confirmed if it is possible in the K10.

Thanks.
Attached Images

satanic_dude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2011, 16:46   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Hi, Namaste ji, I have gone through your post and I would like to inform you sir that after this test on the ECONOTEST my car Maruti Alto K10 is same as it was with 8.9 to 9.7 km/ltrs.It is 4 months old and done 2800 kms.
These Maruti guys at their A.S.S. are giving all sorts of excuses instead of coming out with solution and rectification for poor F.E.They dont even agree that there can be a manufecturing defect.
These jokers promise to me that all parameters will be checked before we go for test drive, but I feel that it is not done.
Now the report they generate after test they themself dont know how to read it.
Now another dealer has called me on Saturday for another ECONOTEST for the same complaint,saying earlier dealer must not have done good job..
It is like pointing fingers. Now I am Maruti Suzuki's regular customer for F.C tests.hahahahahahah.
I have some good news. After my third service, done after one year and 3700km, I did not change the air filter, as the filter looked new. To my horror the FE dropped dramatically after the service. After 130km I had already finished half tank, so I thought that I have to visit my regular mechanic.

We opened the spark plugs, and they were full of soot. "Very rich mixture Saar". What is the problem? We found after taking the air filter out. The mechanic said that it must have got wet during power washing, and though it did not show, it was choked. Change the air filter and FE is back as is the performance!

Moral of the story : Was the car carefully and see that no water goes into the filter. When in doubt change the filter, it is around 250 or so! The filter may also get choked while driving through large puddles.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2011, 17:11   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satanic_dude View Post
David,

First of all, thank you for sharing your Dhantenan experience, and lots of photos! I am getting my Alto K10 on Monday. I have a few questions with regards to the ICE setup. I am getting that done at the dealership itself since I'm transplanting the ICE from my 800.

I see that you have installed the speakers on the original MGA parcel tray itself. While it definitely looks nice in stock, how is the sound quality from the rear speakers? Does the tray vibrate to the bass or does it handle it pretty well? Reason is, I plan to get a separate wooden / MDF tray instead and would like to decide if that is better or worse!

I had this setup in my 800's boot but it involved drilling some holes (power screwing actually) into the body for fastening the angles that hold the boxes down. I agree that it is a good idea to save *some* boot space but the sales executive suggested I use the parcel tray instead, and disconnect the rear speakers to remove the tray if I needed to use the boot for luggage.

I have retained the boxes and might use them in my K10 if they fit, and only if they can be installed without any drilling or any other sort of mutilation to the body! I doubt if there is another way. Some adhesive perhaps?

David, do let us know if you've considered this setup or confirmed if it is possible in the K10.

Thanks.
Hi, firstly i want to congratulate in advance for the K10 you would be getting delivered on monday. Waiting for your pictures of the big day. I had considered this type of set up the one you are talking about but then as such there is not much of boot space available so dropped it. The above setup would definitely need some drilling work in the body. I have got the speakers installed on the tray the main reason being that if there is more of luggage then i just need to plug off the speakers and take out the rear tray. And this parcel tray does not vibrate much and takes on pretty well.
David Murx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2011, 21:32   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I have some good news. After my third service, done after one year and 3700km, I did not change the air filter, as the filter looked new. To my horror the FE dropped dramatically after the service. After 130km I had already finished half tank, so I thought that I have to visit my regular mechanic.

We opened the spark plugs, and they were full of soot. "Very rich mixture Saar". What is the problem? We found after taking the air filter out. The mechanic said that it must have got wet during power washing, and though it did not show, it was choked. Change the air filter and FE is back as is the performance!

Moral of the story : Was the car carefully and see that no water goes into the filter. When in doubt change the filter, it is around 250 or so! The filter may also get choked while driving through large puddles.
Hi Boss, I have been all the time from MARCH till date after my A.S.S. to rectify my low to very low average. 10kms/ltr,12kms/ltr, then it settled to 13kms/ltr.Even after I completed my 5000kms on the K10 it was same as 13kms/ltr.W/O A.C.
There was lot of bad mouthing between ME AND dealer and that idiot Regional Maruti Service Engineer, who after doing the ECONOTEST said to me that "even 15 kms/ltr is not bad sir "(this 15kms/ltr was after Tricky driving test).
Today they A.S.S. called my car and did all parameters checks....
*Cleaned AIR CLEANER (done for the first time since the car delivered)
*Cleaned spark plugs.(done for the first time since the delivery of the car)
*Adjusted Tappets.
*Tyre Pressure checked.
These I obserevd being done , I took the delivery at 6 pm and I am home now,I feel slight smoothness in the running of the car,let me test the KMS/LTR. matter, if it is the sane I will go to the consumer court for the false claims by Maruti that K10 gives 20 kms/ltr.
Iwa sget

Last edited by IQBAL VEERJI : 17th December 2011 at 21:49.
Old 23rd December 2011, 23:05   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Boss, I have been all the time from MARCH till date after my A.S.S. to rectify my low to very low average. 10kms/ltr,12kms/ltr, then it settled to 13kms/ltr.Even after I completed my 5000kms on the K10 it was same as 13kms/ltr.W/O A.C.
There was lot of bad mouthing between ME AND dealer and that idiot Regional Maruti Service Engineer, who after doing the ECONOTEST said to me that "even 15 kms/ltr is not bad sir "(this 15kms/ltr was after Tricky driving test).
Today they A.S.S. called my car and did all parameters checks....
*Cleaned AIR CLEANER (done for the first time since the car delivered)
*Cleaned spark plugs.(done for the first time since the delivery of the car)
*Adjusted Tappets.
*Tyre Pressure checked.
These I obserevd being done , I took the delivery at 6 pm and I am home now,I feel slight smoothness in the running of the car,let me test the KMS/LTR. matter, if it is the sane I will go to the consumer court for the false claims by Maruti that K10 gives 20 kms/ltr.
Iwa sget
Today I refilled my tank and checked the F.C. it is almost same as 13.3 kms/ltr without AC and 80% of careful highway driving.
Now there is no point in discussing any thing furthur. Dealer told me "I have done whatever I could do .now what do to the car I myself dont know.
I have told him to contact maruti about subject matter before I go to the consumer court for Maruti misleading the customers with wrong info about F.C. of the car.at least my car has some unknown manufecturing defect.
Adding fuel to the Fire there was an Advt in todays Hindustan times that ALTO K10 was road tested in number of towns and people paticipated in the BEST PETROL AVERAGE TEST. and then there was a person in Kolkuta who got 49.3 kms/ltr..( My car is not giving me more then 13 kms/ltr , inspite of all efforts) This is a biggest joke of the day, whom MARUTI IS TRYING TO FOOL. Their own engrs say it is not possible.
Now I know that Kolkutta guy must have asked his wife,children to push the car with engine off, or he must have been doing that speed up till 100 kms/hrs speed then switch off the engine and let the car rollllllllll.hahahahahahh
Attached Thumbnails
My Superior White Alto K10-gg-063.jpg  

My Superior White Alto K10-gg-066.jpg  

Last edited by IQBAL VEERJI : 23rd December 2011 at 23:10.
Old 24th December 2011, 11:32   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today I refilled my tank and checked the F.C. it is almost same as 13.3 kms/ltr without AC and 80% of careful highway driving.
Now there is no point in discussing any thing furthur. Dealer told me "I have done whatever I could do .now what do to the car I myself dont know.
I have told him to contact maruti about subject matter before I go to the consumer court for Maruti misleading the customers with wrong info about F.C. of the car.at least my car has some unknown manufecturing defect.
Adding fuel to the Fire there was an Advt in todays Hindustan times that ALTO K10 was road tested in number of towns and people paticipated in the BEST PETROL AVERAGE TEST. and then there was a person in Kolkuta who got 49.3 kms/ltr..( My car is not giving me more then 13 kms/ltr , inspite of all efforts) This is a biggest joke of the day, whom MARUTI IS TRYING TO FOOL. Their own engrs say it is not possible.
Now I know that Kolkutta guy must have asked his wife,children to push the car with engine off, or he must have been doing that speed up till 100 kms/hrs speed then switch off the engine and let the car rollllllllll.hahahahahahh
Driving technique for high FE is completely different from normal driving. Abroad FE of 3-5 times normal have been achieved in these rallies. How you drive -

. Accelerate extremely sedately.
. Change gears as soon as possible.
. Do not brake. Anticipate stops and coast with engine off.
. Switch the engine off and coast as far as possible, starting again when required.
. Remain within the peak torque in each gear.
. Use the fifth gear (overdrive), as much as possible.
. Set the carburetor/ECU for extremely lean mixture.

These rallies are normally carried out in locations where the above method is possible. Definitely out of the crowded roads. If you notice the AD had others who had achieved more than 35km/l. In the end these rallies just demonstrate what can be achieved under extremely cautious driving, but have very little effect on day-to-day driving. To assure you that the Alto K10 can achieve good FE, please go through the K10 owners reported FE, which went as high as 25km/l on highways. I myself have got 19+ with AC on highway run.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2012, 04:42   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Hi David, I am too owner of a ALTO K10 superior white,
I got it in march end 2011.
I am facing a serious problem with fuel consumption in my car, it has done 1200kms till date and from first day I am getting only 10 kms/ltr without AC and with AC I have yet to drive and check.

There is no question of wrong driving , I have been driving for the last 39 yrs.
I even switch OFF the engine at traffic signal, NOW PLSS TELL ME ABOUT YOUR CAR F.C. in first 1000 kms . Pls reply fast I have to pull up the A.S.S. GUYS.Regards........
Well for me it was more like 9 kmpl. That too for the first 3500 km. How about that hah ?
Everyone told me to get rid of the car and buy another one preferably a diesel one. But for some odd reason I loved my K10 so much and refused to sell. Coz the way the car revs high and accelerates is soooo addicting.
Long story short... I get 16 kmpl now in city(Trivandrum) with AC 100 % and 25 + on highway rides. Honestly I don't care about FE at the moment. I just love my car. ( Guess K10 is one of those cars which loves you back )
May be your car would be get better as the engine clocks more miles.
Just as an FYI : K10 engine is a high revving engine and you should keep the engine rpm above 1500 and below 2500 to get the best FE and a smooth ride. I understand you have a lot of experience in driving but the K10 engine requires you to change your driving style (if you run your engine at low rpms usually) or you may get low FE and not to mention high probability of engine damage/ premature wearing of engine components.

I am no expert here but other TBPians could add to it.
simkuriakose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2012, 16:45   #161
Senior - BHPian

Two interesting points

1. Prolonged short journeys result in a very low FE. My daily drive is visiting construction sites in my colony. I visit 6-7 sites each within 0.5 to 0.7 km of each other. Over time my FE dropped to 9. Cleaning the throttle body, changing the air filter etc upped it to 9.5.

2. Driving and 90-100 for 100km frees up the engine and increases FE. Last fortnight I decided I needed a break and the K10 needed to stretch its legs. So I just drove 100km on the NH2. Result - instead of 300 odd km/tank full I got 400. So the 100km joy ride was free. The next tank full in the driving condition of Point #1, seems to have increased the FE from 9 to 11. The engine noise is much sweeter now.

So if you are driving short distances for prolonged time, give your K10 a break. Take it to the highway and watch the difference in performance. The only reason I can attribute this to is that short journeys do not heat up the engine to its normal working temperature, so a lot of carbon accumulates. This is burnt up when you go on a long ride at 90+.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2012, 17:00   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simkuriakose View Post
K10 engine is a high revving engine and you should keep the engine rpm above 1500 and below 2500 to get the best FE and a smooth ride. I understand you have a lot of experience in driving but the K10 engine requires you to change your driving style (if you run your engine at low rpms usually) or you may get low FE and not to mention high probability of engine damage/ premature wearing of engine components. .
True. Changing driving style increased my average to 13.5 from 11 kmpl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
...So if you are driving short distances for prolonged time, give your K10 a break. Take it to the highway and watch the difference in performance. The only reason I can attribute this to is that short journeys do not heat up the engine to its normal working temperature, so a lot of carbon accumulates. This is burnt up when you go on a long ride at 90+.
Good point. Just took my K10 to Meerut (first outstation trip in 2 years) and it gave an overall average of 17kmpl. It includes crossing busy Delhi roads on Monday afternoon!
sourabhzen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2012, 23:04   #163
BHPian

Very true. K10's engine requires some changes in driving style. I definitely agree that to achieve good FE figures in K10 the rpm should be maintained in the range of 1500-2500. I can say this because i have used it for 2 and half years. Would also like to share that my K10, the first one on our forum has been exchanged and now im driving Ertiga. But still, I miss my K10. It used to give me FE of 17-18 in city driving with ac and on highways i have got around 25.
David Murx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2012, 23:17   #164

My observations on mileage on my alto k10 -

1) Bumper to bumper traffic continuous clutch engaged drive with A/C on - 12 kmpl
2) Regular office commute normal traffic with A/C on and switching off engine when stop is more than a minute and less usage of clutch - 15 kmpl
3) Highways at around 70-80 kmph - 18 kmpl
4) Highways at 110-120kmph sometimes touching at 140kmph with A/C 11-12kmpl

Currently car has clocked 30000 Km.
BrainyLad is offline   Reply With Quote