Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2010, 00:10   #166
BHPian
 
sadnabrina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 347
Thanked: 105 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
First of all, hearty congratulations on acquiring India's newest hot-hatch! And I must say, you've taken some wonderful pictures. Good job!

Now I've been told that the Polo 1.6 isn't as responsive as expected, especially when compared to some other hatches with larger engines, i.e. the i20 1.4. But I'm not going to buy that!

So when are you getting the Polo Cup kit; skirts, spoilers et al?
Thanks Suhaas307,
I have just started to stress the engine a bit after completing 1000 kms. With the results I have got till date, I am not going to give an ear to the responsiveness complaints. Yes possibly at the starting grid the M800 might start quicker, but then that is about it, the M800 will vanish from your rear view within 5 seconds.
sadnabrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 16:41   #167
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: US/India
Posts: 232
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Hey, i am seriously contemplating replacing my swift with this rocket. Before i do that, i need some info on the low end torque.

The swift i have is the old 1.3 G series engine. It will turn 5 next month and its showing its age. Its a real treat to drive on the highways. But below 1800-2000 rpm, in the second gear, it struggles a lot. I drove it to ooty last weekend and i was appalled by the low end grunt. I had to down shift to 1st gear also sometimes.
Can you let me know how the Polo 1.6 behave on a gradient, in second gear under 2000 rpms? Have you tried taking it onto the hills with multiple hair pin bends?
naveenvenkatesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 17:08   #168
Senior - BHPian
 
Chethan B G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,419
Thanked: 693 Times
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
Hey, i am seriously contemplating replacing my swift with this rocket. Before i do that, i need some info on the low end torque.

The swift i have is the old 1.3 G series engine. It will turn 5 next month and its showing its age. Its a real treat to drive on the highways. But below 1800-2000 rpm, in the second gear, it struggles a lot. I drove it to ooty last weekend and i was appalled by the low end grunt. I had to down shift to 1st gear also sometimes.
Can you let me know how the Polo 1.6 behave on a gradient, in second gear under 2000 rpms? Have you tried taking it onto the hills with multiple hair pin bends?
Hi Naveen - 1.6L engine with the added torque, should pull better below 2000 RPM, logically. But, hair pin bends up the hill? I would not expect any car to pull in the 2nd gear, if the vehicle is slow.

Why are we so shy of changing gears? I remember the video game stations, we used to play as kids. I used to always select a play station, which would let me change/select gear, had clutch, brake & accelerator - to fiddle with. This used to give me the real driving experience/pleasure.

Even today, I feel that the thrill is maximum when we are totally occupied with driving. Otherwise it is boring, to just press on the accelerator.

It is another thing, if we are preoccupied with some thing else while driving & our left hand is not free! - Pun intended

Last edited by Chethan B G : 7th September 2010 at 17:10.
Chethan B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 17:25   #169
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: US/India
Posts: 232
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

I think the best way to find out would be to take the Polo for a long ride to Nandi Hills and check it! But if owners have already done that, then its really good.
I know any vehicle will struggle on a hair pin bend but what i am saying it after conquering the bend, on a slight incline, the car refuses to move under 2000 rpm in 2nd. The swift 1.3L is notorious for crappy low end torque. So want to hear from the Horse's mouth so to speak.

How is the 1.2L? Have you take it to the hills yet? Sorry, i haven't been following your thread!
naveenvenkatesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 18:01   #170
Senior - BHPian
 
Chethan B G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,419
Thanked: 693 Times
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
I think the best way to find out would be to take the Polo for a long ride to Nandi Hills and check it! But if owners have already done that, then its really good.
I know any vehicle will struggle on a hair pin bend but what i am saying it after conquering the bend, on a slight incline, the car refuses to move under 2000 rpm in 2nd. The swift 1.3L is notorious for crappy low end torque. So want to hear from the Horse's mouth so to speak.

How is the 1.2L? Have you take it to the hills yet? Sorry, i haven't been following your thread!
Nandi Hills should not be an issue. I have taken 1.2L Diesel through hilly areas. I did not have any issues. Poloman would have driven his 1.2L Petrol. We could ask him for the details too.

In the previous generation cars such as Matiz, Zen, Santro - Which had an engine capacity of 1L or less than that, we used to feel the pinch with AC on, in ghat sections. THAT is THE problem. In my view, if we can drive comfortably by choosing the right gear, we should not worry too much.
Chethan B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 18:18   #171
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 442
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Hi Naveen - 1.6L engine with the added torque, should pull better below 2000 RPM, logically. But, hair pin bends up the hill? I would not expect any car to pull in the 2nd gear, if the vehicle is slow.

Why are we so shy of changing gears? I remember the video game stations, we used to play as kids. I used to always select a play station, which would let me change/select gear, had clutch, brake & accelerator - to fiddle with. This used to give me the real driving experience/pleasure.
I second that opinion.

Naveen I have gone on the ghats in Yercaud on the Esteem which I presume has the same engine as your Swift and there was no way you could get enough torque in 2nd gear. On 1st gear it was a breeze.

Whether the 1.6 will pull in second gear, I seriously doubt. That's because my wife has been stalling the 1.6 engine in stop and go traffic and I told her that she has to start in 1st gear whenever she stops fully -- That's what the manual says too. Now she has no problem at all. On the other hand, the Esteem used to somehow groan and pull on 2nd from rest.
nowwhat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 18:30   #172
Senior - BHPian
 
Chethan B G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,419
Thanked: 693 Times
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
On the other hand, the Esteem used to somehow groan and pull on 2nd from rest.
That will un-necessarily load the engine.

Most of the times, we think that low speed will not hurt the engine. But lugging the engine with low speeds, will cause more damage. More-so, during the running in period. Gears are provided to be used - and they are to be used.

Otherwise - a choice of AT is always there with some cars.
Chethan B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 18:38   #173
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 442
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
That will un-necessarily load the engine.

Most of the times, we think that low speed will not hurt the engine. But lugging the engine with low speeds, will cause more damage. More-so, during the running in period. Gears are provided to be used - and they are to be used.
I agree!

It took a Polo to teach some driving basics .
nowwhat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 19:31   #174
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 454 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
That will un-necessarily load the engine.

Most of the times, we think that low speed will not hurt the engine. But lugging the engine with low speeds, will cause more damage. More-so, during the running in period. Gears are provided to be used - and they are to be used.

Otherwise - a choice of AT is always there with some cars.
I agree and I love the AT for stop and go traffic!!
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 21:41   #175
BHPian
 
sadnabrina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 347
Thanked: 105 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
That will un-necessarily load the engine.
and the clutch. You probably will end up burning the clutch while trying to pull the car from near 0 speeds on 2nd gear everyday. I used to shift down to 1st on most speed breakers on my Swift 1.3, I do the same on the Polo 1.6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Most of the times, we think that low speed will not hurt the engine. But lugging the engine with low speeds, will cause more damage. More-so, during the running in period. Gears are provided to be used - and they are to be used.

Otherwise - a choice of AT is always there with some cars.
sadnabrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 14:33   #176
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: US/India
Posts: 232
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Thanks guys. Lets hope VW can arrange a test drive in a 1.6L for me! I will be buying it sometime next year, so i will have more time to evaluate it!

Happy Driving and Keep updating your ownership threads. The maintenance is something that i am keenly watching!
naveenvenkatesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 22:01   #177
BHPian
 
sadnabrina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 347
Thanked: 105 Times
Default

Rceived a call from VW corporate office yesterday. They wanted a feedback on my experience with the car. I told them the problems I am facing viz rocking seat, minor rattle from the boot, no engine specs in owners manual, no manual for the audio. They said they will inform the respective departments to get in touch. Waiting for their call.
sadnabrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 00:11   #178
Senior - BHPian
 
Chethan B G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,419
Thanked: 693 Times
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina View Post
Rceived a call from VW corporate office yesterday. They wanted a feedback on my experience with the car. I told them the problems I am facing viz rocking seat, minor rattle from the boot, no engine specs in owners manual, no manual for the audio. They said they will inform the respective departments to get in touch. Waiting for their call.
Should have informed them regarding bonnet over-heating problem also?

Try to see if that insulation material (like the one in diesel Polo), can be got for a cost.
Chethan B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 09:09   #179
BHPian
 
sadnabrina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 347
Thanked: 105 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Should have informed them regarding bonnet over-heating problem also?

Try to see if that insulation material (like the one in diesel Polo), can be got for a cost.
Not worried about that. Swift was possibly the first maruti to have it. That does not mean that the older marutis (remember baleno had 1.6 l) had chipped bonnet paints due to heat.
sadnabrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2010, 23:59   #180
BHPian
 
sadnabrina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 347
Thanked: 105 Times
Default

Been to the VW workshop today. Not the most professional but courteous. Got the seat rocking problem fixed. They tightened some bolts and it got fixed. The mild rattle from the boot was also fixed. Noticed something interesting - the wheels are made in Turkey. See image below.
The service advisor told that all the current Polo models have Electronic Power Steering. The initial models had electric hydraulic. He showed me the PS fluid container in one of the older demo cars which was getting its damaged bumper replaced.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo 1.6 - Ownership Report-wheel-inside.jpg  

sadnabrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VW Polo GT TSI - Officially Unofficial Review and Initial Ownership Report prithwi-81 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 262 16th December 2017 21:20
2013 Flash Red VW Polo 1.6 GT TDI Ownership Report psuraj Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 66 20th October 2017 15:37
My 2014 VW Polo 1.5 TDI : First Ownership Report. EDIT, 10000 kms up Zigor Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 116 25th April 2016 16:35
VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report chase_nt Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 113 7th March 2016 18:11
New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold! Chethan B G Long-Term Ownership Reviews 1220 24th November 2013 21:04


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:26.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks