Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 4th October 2010, 16:27   #226
Senior - BHPian

Guys another alternate to the stock bulbs is the OSRAM night breaker. I do not have a polo but I use these on my swift and the spread and the intensity of the light is exponentially better than the stock bulbs. Size is same H4 and cost is around 1K, these are made in Germany and sold through local Osram dealers.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 17:27   #227
BHPian

Is there even an option from VW to upgrade the head lamps for the Polo? May to better HIDs or at the very least, better wattage lamps ? Or are can we go all out with accessories from outside, of course warranty notwithstanding!
naveenvenkatesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 18:20   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
sadnabrina, can you please give me the details of the new bulbs you have fitted - rating, price, model number...etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
He has mentioned it is the stock wattage i.e 55/60w, they will be H4 bulbs. I have no clue about the price but my guess is they will be in the range of Rs.700
The one I fitted is Philips X-treme Power H4 (55/60W). Philips claims 80% more light on road. The light have defintely improved with overall better visibility both in low as well as high beam.
The color of the light is nearly same as the stock lights, but probably the color temperature is slightly whiter which possibly gives the feeling of some extra light - I think so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
Yes they cost me Rs 720 when bought at Opera House about 3 months back.
They charged me around 1000... Don't rememer the exact cost ... I took a few other stuff (full floor matting + modified number plates etc)... they gave me a consolidated bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Guys another alternate to the stock bulbs is the OSRAM night breaker. I do not have a polo but I use these on my swift and the spread and the intensity of the light is exponentially better than the stock bulbs. Size is same H4 and cost is around 1K, these are made in Germany and sold through local Osram dealers.
I think OSRAM night breaker and Philips X-Treme Power are similar lamps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
Is there even an option from VW to upgrade the head lamps for the Polo? May to better HIDs or at the very least, better wattage lamps ? Or are can we go all out with accessories from outside, of course warranty notwithstanding!
Sorry, I have not checked with them. Will there be an impact on the warranty if the lamps are of the same wattage?
sadnabrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 21:46   #229
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina View Post
The one I fitted is Philips X-treme Power H4 (55/60W). Philips claims 80% more light on road. The light have defintely improved with overall better visibility both in low as well as high beam.
The color of the light is nearly same as the stock lights, but probably the color temperature is slightly whiter which possibly gives the feeling of some extra light - I think so!
I checked the stock bulbs on my Polo today. They are Philip's H4 (55/60W)! This is a bit confusing. Is "X-treme power" any different?
Chethan B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2010, 01:33   #230
BHPian

Quote:
I checked the stock bulbs on my Polo today. They are Philip's H4 (55/60W)! This is a bit confusing. Is "X-treme power" any different?
Xtreme power is a range of bulbs from Philips which gives (a claimed 80%) more light output than a normal bulb (the stock bulb which you have on your car) of the same rating.
You just need to replace the stock bulb (H4) with the the Philips Xtreme power bulb (same H4, same rating, so it's just a plug and play without any additional relay, ceramic holders etc.).
jayded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2010, 08:57   #231
BHPian

Quote:
As Jayded inicated. XP from philips has exactly the same power rating as the stock H4. But the light output/throw is much better. I had fitted 90/100W H4s on my swift, the XP on Polo is giving similar light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Xtreme power is a range of bulbs from Philips which gives (a claimed 80%) more light output than a normal bulb (the stock bulb which you have on your car) of the same rating.
You just need to replace the stock bulb (H4) with the the Philips Xtreme power bulb (same H4, same rating, so it's just a plug and play without any additional relay, ceramic holders etc.).
No impact on warranty too... I hopee
Old 5th October 2010, 08:59   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Chethan, let me know from if you are getting these bulbs from where you got it.

By the way, is anyone facing the same problem as me with foggy fog lamps? For the past couple of weeks ever since the rains began in Bangalore, my fog lamps seem to have a lot of moisture in them that makes the glass/plastic mist up.
nowwhat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2010, 16:12   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Chethan, let me know from if you are getting these bulbs from where you got it.

By the way, is anyone facing the same problem as me with foggy fog lamps? For the past couple of weeks ever since the rains began in Bangalore, my fog lamps seem to have a lot of moisture in them that makes the glass/plastic mist up.
If you are asking about the Philips X-treme Power, I got those from "Marks & Glix" at Kolkata. You will find it at any decent accessory shop anywhere else in India.

About the fogging, no I have not seen any fogging in my F/Ls. I have driven through various types of rains including torrential rains a few weeks back, but the fog lamps were ok. Usually the lamp assemblies are water tight and should not allow for moisture to get in. However in your case the assembly might have had the moisture within it from the time it was manufactured. I suggest you take it to the VW workshop and ask them to fix the issue.
Old 5th October 2010, 17:20   #234
BHPian

Quote:
If you are asking about the Philips X-treme Power, I got those from "Marks & Glix" at Kolkata. You will find it at any decent accessory shop anywhere else in India.

About the fogging, no I have not seen any fogging in my F/Ls. I have driven through various types of rains including torrential rains a few weeks back, but the fog lamps were ok. Usually the lamp assemblies are water tight and should not allow for moisture to get in. However in your case the assembly might have had the moisture within it from the time it was manufactured. I suggest you take it to the VW workshop and ask them to fix the issue.
sadnabrina, unfortunately Kolkata is a little out of the way for me to be driving from Bangalore for the bulbs. However I am sure this piece of information will help other Kolkatans.

The fog-lamp misted up a couple of weeks ago and it hasn't gone away since. Today I saw another Polo TDI with the same misted-up fog-lamps. I will try to post pictures.

If you all think this is an issue, I will definitely take it up with the dealer.
Old 5th October 2010, 17:42   #235
BHPian

Quote:
sadnabrina, unfortunately Kolkata is a little out of the way for me to be driving from Bangalore for the bulbs. However I am sure this piece of information will help other Kolkatans.
nowwhat?,

I will be gald to home deliver the lamps from here, provided you pay for the fuel . I am longing for a loooong drive on the 1.6. The longest I have done on this car is a 500km round trip a few weeks back.
A few years back I managed a 1800 KM drive from Hyderabad to Kolkata in 2 days. Want one more similar drive.

Quote:
The fog-lamp misted up a couple of weeks ago and it hasn't gone away since. Today I saw another Polo TDI with the same misted-up fog-lamps. I will try to post pictures.

If you all think this is an issue, I will definitely take it up with the dealer.
If the mist has not gone away then it definitely needs to be addressed by VW.
Old 5th October 2010, 18:02   #236
BHPian

Default Misted up fog lamps

Would there be something to do with all that inadvertent 'deep water wading' that all our cars had to do recently in Bangalore? Thatís thanks to the recent heavy downpours. Those low-set fog lamps would definitely have gone under the water level and may have taken a bit of moisture inside. Would that be a plausible reason?
Rigid Rotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2010, 19:24   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigid Rotor View Post
Would there be something to do with all that inadvertent 'deep water wading' that all our cars had to do recently in Bangalore? Thatís thanks to the recent heavy downpours. Those low-set fog lamps would definitely have gone under the water level and may have taken a bit of moisture inside. Would that be a plausible reason?
Possible. But aren't the light assemblies supposed to be water proof.
Old 5th October 2010, 19:35   #238
BHPian

Quote:
nowwhat?,

I will be gald to home deliver the lamps from here, provided you pay for the fuel . I am longing for a loooong drive on the 1.6. The longest I have done on this car is a 500km round trip a few weeks back.
A few years back I managed a 1800 KM drive from Hyderabad to Kolkata in 2 days. Want one more similar drive.
Yeah, I know that feeling! I am also waiting to go on a long drive!

Chethan has graciously agreed to source the lamps for me as well.

Well if you do come down to Bangalore, you can meet up with the Polo community here. You know there is quite a few!

By the way sadnabrina, I still haven't figured out how to check the oil. Once I do, I will let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigid Rotor View Post
Yep, definitely went underwater. I just want to know if the misting is something to be worried about. I remember in watches if it happens it is usually a bad thing.
Old 5th October 2010, 20:57   #239
BHPian

I would guess its better to get the moisture or water out of the lamps -sooner the better. Never done this, but I could hazard a DIY solution - remove the bulbs (if easily accessible) and blow air through a vaccum cleaner into the lamp assembly through the bulb socket openings. Avoid wiping the reflector - it would possibly scratch the polished surface. And that lamp assembly is bound to be sealed, so there's only one way to get the moisture out.
Rigid Rotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2010, 21:58   #240
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Yep, definitely went underwater. I just want to know if the misting is something to be worried about. I remember in watches if it happens it is usually a bad thing.
Polo has a plastic cover in front of the fog lamp enclosure. IMO, moisture will be locked inside this outer cover (triangle shape). This can be easily removed with a screw driver. Get it done by the dealer.
Chethan B G is offline   Reply With Quote