Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 7th October 2010, 23:54   #241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina View Post
If you are asking about the Philips X-treme Power, I got those from "Marks & Glix" at Kolkata. You will find it at any decent accessory shop anywhere else in India.

Hey I am looking for a headlight upgrade. Unfortunately the philips extreme power is not available here in hyderabad. Do you think this will be as good as the osram nightbreaker? i was quote 1600 for the osram nightbreaker which seems very high.
Is it possible to get one for me? Can you send me a PM with your contact details? I might ask someone coming from Kolkata to get those for me if you don't mind.
adimicra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2010, 00:39   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Hey I am looking for a headlight upgrade. Unfortunately the philips extreme power is not available here in hyderabad. Do you think this will be as good as the osram nightbreaker? i was quote 1600 for the osram nightbreaker which seems very high.
Is it possible to get one for me? Can you send me a PM with your contact details? I might ask someone coming from Kolkata to get those for me if you don't mind.
Its available in Bangalore also. Chethan is sourcing some for me.
nowwhat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2010, 00:47   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
A couple of my friends have the Philips extreme power on their cars and all of them including yours truly find the OSRAM nightbreaker on my Swift zxi better in terms of the spread and the intensity of the beam. The dealer is quoting list price to you. I got a set from their distributor in Lamington road. Bombay delivered home in Navi Mumbai for slightly over 1K.

Let me see if I still have the Osram sales manager's number with me. I have been thinking of changing the bulbs on my Cedia too. If I am able to contact him, I will try and get the contact details of the sales manager in Hyderabad for you. Maybe you could get them cheaper going through him.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2010, 06:46   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
A couple of my friends have the Philips extreme power on their cars and all of them including yours truly find the OSRAM nightbreaker on my Swift zxi better in terms of the spread and the intensity of the beam. The dealer is quoting list price to you. I got a set from their distributor in Lamington road. Bombay delivered home in Navi Mumbai for slightly over 1K.

Let me see if I still have the Osram sales manager's number with me. I have been thinking of changing the bulbs on my Cedia too. If I am able to contact him, I will try and get the contact details of the sales manager in Hyderabad for you. Maybe you could get them cheaper going through him.
thanks man! The accessory shop guy was telling me the same thing but I din't believe him. So it makes sense to get the OSram ones if available at a reasonable price.
You know what - my fog lights are from Osram and they look brighter than the headlights After all, Osram is the pioneer in this field.
What is the color of the light?
adimicra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2010, 10:35   #245
BHPian

Exclamation

My 1.6 Polo's done about 900kms. I just have one query.
Every time I turn on the AC switch, i hear a sound coming from the engine bay and as soon as i press the AC switch off, it goes away. Also the sound is audible only at idling or at lower speeds.
Is it normal or do I need to get it checked? Every time i press that AC switch, it feels as if something(maybe the compressor) has started and so maybe thats what makes the noise. But I am sure I haven't heard AC's making such noises in other cars
AnkitPrashar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2010, 15:12   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkitPrashar View Post
My 1.6 Polo's done about 900kms. I just have one query.
Every time I turn on the AC switch, i hear a sound coming from the engine bay and as soon as i press the AC switch off, it goes away. Also the sound is audible only at idling or at lower speeds.
Is it normal or do I need to get it checked? Every time i press that AC switch, it feels as if something(maybe the compressor) has started and so maybe thats what makes the noise. But I am sure I haven't heard AC's making such noises in other cars
The compressor noise is on the higher side in polo 1.6, specially from the driver seat. Other cars do have it, but in lesser intensity.
sadnabrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 09:27   #247
BHPian

Sadnabrina : Can you confirm the average fuel economy for your 1.6. I am getting 8.5 to 9.5 in Bangalore city driving with 60% b2B traffic.
kiran1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 02:41   #248
BHPian

Thanks for Sharing info Sadnabrina, Great blogging, enjoyed reading the experience on the Polo 1.6.

I am currently in the market for smart hatch for my better half - have few questions for you -

A. Since the test drive vehicle on the polo 1.6 was not available, how did you reach decision, (my apologies in advance if you have already answered this question) - Any after thoughts that may have deferred your decision - I am currently in the same state cant T/D a 1.6.

B. We live is quite a busy segment of Hyderabad, in some cases we have to use evasive maneuvers for bikes, buses and segments that have absolutely no roads. Please share your thoughts on City driving and ground clearance.

C. Any experience in driving in stagnant water ?

Your thoughts will be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time -
Motoringlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 08:55   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran1103 View Post
Sadnabrina : Can you confirm the average fuel economy for your 1.6. I am getting 8.5 to 9.5 in Bangalore city driving with 60% b2B traffic.
Anirban: Can't believe I posted this earlier in the wrong thread (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2113010 (Polo 1.6 Hatchback)). I was wondering this entire time where it went!

FE figures from our Polo 1.6:
  • 1,075 kilometers run
  • First fill at 37 km for Rs. 2,500.
  • Second fill for Rs. 3,000.
  • Third fill at 1,075 km.
  • Constant rate of Rs. 58.47 per liter of petrol
Average of 11.03 kilometers per liter*

* 100% city driving, mostly bumper to bumper, >20% AC (as Bangalore has become hotter now). I will be getting an even more accurate figure during the next refill as I forgot to note the kilometers during the second refill.
Old 24th October 2010, 09:46   #250
TOR
BHPian

Thanks for those figures, thats decent for city figures, could you put up some highway figures also. Thanks.
TOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 10:35   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOR View Post
Thanks for those figures, thats decent for city figures, could you put up some highway figures also. Thanks.
Highway figure from my car would be doubtful except for the occasional long trip which we haven't had a chance to do yet.

In Kerala I am sure you will get better mileage as we do not have much of a chance to drive in 4th & 5th in Bangalore. The few times we have done that, I have seen the average climb up in the MFD.

By the way, a caveat to the figures I posted... The car is driven with an extremely light foot by wife. I don't think even I will get those kind of figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoringlover View Post
Thanks for Sharing info Sadnabrina, Great blogging, enjoyed reading the experience on the Polo 1.6.

I am currently in the market for smart hatch for my better half - have few questions for you -

A. Since the test drive vehicle on the polo 1.6 was not available, how did you reach decision, (my apologies in advance if you have already answered this question) - Any after thoughts that may have deferred your decision - I am currently in the same state cant T/D a 1.6.

B. We live is quite a busy segment of Hyderabad, in some cases we have to use evasive maneuvers for bikes, buses and segments that have absolutely no roads. Please share your thoughts on City driving and ground clearance.

C. Any experience in driving in stagnant water ?

Your thoughts will be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time -
All of us took a leap of faith I guess.

But it wasn't exactly a shot in the dark. The Polo has been around for ages and the South-African spec 1.6 also isn't new. Reviews and figures about the performance, mileage, etc. are all readily available on the web.

Most importantly, the Polo 1.2 test-drive gave me the confidence to upgrade the engine to the 1.6.

By the way, my better-half drives our hatch too. But I hope your better-half allows you to drive the car once in a while.

I don't think evasive maneuvers are a problem. While it goes from 0 to 100 in 11.1 seconds, it also does the opposite in around 3 seconds. The car is rock-solid and predictable.

City driving is no problem. Ground clearance is fantastic -- No scrapes yet, but you have to watch out for the nose.

Stagnant water: how deep? The only problem is that sometimes water gets in between the fog-lamps and the bumper. I have mentioned about it on this thread I think.

Last edited by nowwhat? : 24th October 2010 at 10:38.
Old 24th October 2010, 10:48   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Highway figure from my car would be doubtful except for the occasional long trip which we haven't had a chance to do yet.

In Kerala I am sure you will get better mileage as we do not have much of a chance to drive in 4th & 5th in Bangalore. The few times we have done that, I have seen the average climb up in the MFD.

By the way, a caveat to the figures I posted... The car is driven with an extremely light foot by wife. I don't think even I will get those kind of figures.

All of us took a leap of faith I guess.

But it wasn't exactly a shot in the dark. The Polo has been around for ages and the South-African spec 1.6 also isn't new. Reviews and figures about the performance, mileage, etc. are all readily available on the web.

Most importantly, the Polo 1.2 test-drive gave me the confidence to upgrade the engine to the 1.6.

By the way, my better-half drives our hatch too. But I hope your better-half allows you to drive the car once in a while.

I don't think evasive maneuvers are a problem. While it goes from 0 to 100 in 11.1 seconds, it also does the opposite in around 3 seconds. The car is rock-solid and predictable.

City driving is no problem. Ground clearance is fantastic -- No scrapes yet, but you have to watch out for the nose.

Stagnant water: how deep? The only problem is that sometimes water gets in between the fog-lamps and the bumper. I have mentioned about it on this thread I think.
Thanks @ Nowwhat.

well with regards to water stagnation, we just moved to Hyderabad and we had situations where the water seeped in the cabin in our santro, my wife was stuck behind an Innova and was waiting for clearance to move ahead and that was good enough for the water seep in.

So from a water level perspective, i am guessing knee deep. Hyderabad has little support when it rains. She does like to drive and i want to give her something peppy, her current favorite is a santro.

No offense intended to any one from the region, just my perspective from a limited stay.
Motoringlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 12:39   #253
BHPian

Do we have access to the VW 1.6 L engine's Hp/Torque graph. The one available in the Polo data sheet is for the 1.2 L engine.
luky_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 13:25   #254
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Was the OSRAM Night-breaker bulbs used were - 60/55 W? Or was it 100/90 fitted with a relay?
Chethan B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2010, 18:45   #255
BHPian

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Was the OSRAM Night-breaker bulbs used were - 60/55 W? Or was it 100/90 fitted with a relay?
The Phillips XP I have fitted are 60/55 and were fitted as is without any relay. I believe OSRAM NB is similar.

QUESTION -
For the last few weeks, I have noticed some sort of frictional noise from the doors. The noise is coming from friction between the door panel and the rubber lining on the body frame where the doors shut. This happens on bad roads when the car has some lateral movement due to unevenness of the road surface. I have also noticed that even after the door is shut, there is some amount of play if you push the door from outside - the rubber lining allows for this play. I think this play is the root cause of the noise.
Have any one else noticed the play and heard the noise?
No it is not rattle but more like the noise from rubbing dry palms together. Is there any way to stop the noise? The constant noise gets irritating at times as most of the road surface here in Kolkata is yet to recover from the monsoon damage.
I haven't talked to the workshop guys yet, though of getting your views before talking to them.
My 1.6 is now 4200 KM and 2.5 months old. At least another 10K km to the frist service.
sadnabrina is offline   Reply With Quote