Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2010, 18:51   #256
BHPian
 
sadnabrina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 347
Thanked: 105 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran1103 View Post
Sadnabrina : Can you confirm the average fuel economy for your 1.6. I am getting 8.5 to 9.5 in Bangalore city driving with 60% b2B traffic.
Hi Kiran,
My average is around 11 now with AC always on. I get more than 11 (12+ at times) when I drive while my driver never manages to get more than 10.5 but I usually drive faster than him. I do some level of predictive (predicting the behaviour of the other vehicles on the road) driving while my driver does more of reactive driving (reacting to the other vehicle's moves post facto). I think that causes the mileage difference. Also a heavy right foot will definitely give you poor mileage.
sadnabrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2010, 19:11   #257
Senior - BHPian
 
Chethan B G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,419
Thanked: 693 Times
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina View Post
The Phillips XP I have fitted are 60/55 and were fitted as is without any relay. I believe OSRAM NB is similar.

QUESTION - Have any one else noticed the play and heard the noise?
Sadnabrina - I have a feeling that the comparison is with OSRAM NB. Users can confirm.

I have not heard any such noise. But my water bottles placed in the door, coins, house key kept in the glove box, umbrella kept in the boot & also a torch kept in the boot - all make noise. No noise, if I take out all of them.

You have fitted the car with new speakers - Right? Has it been done well?
Chethan B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2010, 20:33   #258
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 442
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina View Post
QUESTION -
For the last few weeks, I have noticed some sort of frictional noise from the doors. The noise is coming from friction between the door panel and the rubber lining on the body frame where the doors shut. This happens on bad roads when the car has some lateral movement due to unevenness of the road surface. I have also noticed that even after the door is shut, there is some amount of play if you push the door from outside - the rubber lining allows for this play. I think this play is the root cause of the noise.
Have any one else noticed the play and heard the noise?
No it is not rattle but more like the noise from rubbing dry palms together. Is there any way to stop the noise? The constant noise gets irritating at times as most of the road surface here in Kolkata is yet to recover from the monsoon damage.
sadnabrina, I haven't heard the noise you describe.

On the other hand, there was squeaking noise in the rear that was bothering me for a long time. This squeaking sound would come whenever the car hit a pot-hole or shook generally.

A few days prior to noticing this sound we had done up our seats in art leather, so I naturally assumed that the two seats in the 60-40 split must be rubbing against each other and making this sound.

Over the next few weeks whenever I got a few minutes I would pull the seats down and push them back up forcefully, but still the noise wouldn't go.

Then one Sunday, I decided that enough is enough and I must get to the root of the problem. I checked everything and finally identified the culprit.

The tools are stowed in a thermocol tray inside the spare tyre attached by a nylon rope. I had loosened the rope while tinkering inside the car and forgot to tie it back tightly. The squeaking sound was the rope rubbing against the thermocol.
nowwhat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2010, 11:23   #259
BHPian
 
sadnabrina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 347
Thanked: 105 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Sadnabrina - I have a feeling that the comparison is with OSRAM NB. Users can confirm.

I have not heard any such noise. But my water bottles placed in the door, coins, house key kept in the glove box, umbrella kept in the boot & also a torch kept in the boot - all make noise. No noise, if I take out all of them.

You have fitted the car with new speakers - Right? Has it been done well?
Hi Chetan,
I tried removing everything from the car and run it empty, the noise is still there.
No I haven't got new speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
sadnabrina, I haven't heard the noise you describe.

On the other hand, there was squeaking noise in the rear that was bothering me for a long time. This squeaking sound would come whenever the car hit a pot-hole or shook generally.

A few days prior to noticing this sound we had done up our seats in art leather, so I naturally assumed that the two seats in the 60-40 split must be rubbing against each other and making this sound.

Over the next few weeks whenever I got a few minutes I would pull the seats down and push them back up forcefully, but still the noise wouldn't go.

Then one Sunday, I decided that enough is enough and I must get to the root of the problem. I checked everything and finally identified the culprit.

The tools are stowed in a thermocol tray inside the spare tyre attached by a nylon rope. I had loosened the rope while tinkering inside the car and forgot to tie it back tightly. The squeaking sound was the rope rubbing against the thermocol.
Hi nowwhat?
i checked the tool kit too. It is secure.

Do you have a play in the doors - after closing the door, if you push hard from outside, the door goes in a bit... around 2/3 mm? I think that is the source.
sadnabrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2010, 12:58   #260
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bombay
Posts: 357
Thanked: 101 Times
Default

My suggestion would be to drive to the VW workshop and get the door setting checked. Maybe some of the fixtures for the dor closing and locking system do not have sufficient torsion on the screws which might have caused them to misalign and allow for that play you describe.
NevGin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2010, 14:53   #261
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 442
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina View Post
Hi Chetan,
Do you have a play in the doors - after closing the door, if you push hard from outside, the door goes in a bit... around 2/3 mm? I think that is the source.
Will check in the evening and let you know as the car isn't here right now.

Is the sound from all doors or just one?
nowwhat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2010, 23:10   #262
BHPian
 
sadnabrina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 347
Thanked: 105 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Will check in the evening and let you know as the car isn't here right now.

Is the sound from all doors or just one?
All doors. But more from the driver side front.
sadnabrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 09:27   #263
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 442
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina View Post
All doors. But more from the driver side front.
I checked, there is no play in our car doors. But honestly, I have seen the play that you mention in other cars and I didn't think it was a big deal.

If the driver side front door is consistently making a sound, I suggest you take it to the dealer and show them. The sound should not be there.
nowwhat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 13:24   #264
BHPian
 
sadnabrina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 347
Thanked: 105 Times
Default Polo 1.6 versus Fortuner

Yesterday I went for a quick highway trip to Kolaghat (some 60 KMs from Kolkata on NH 6). On the way spotted a fully loaded Fortuner driving steadily at 120+. Interested in pitting the Polo against the Fortuner went ahead and overtook the Fortuner. The fortuner driver (owner driven) was game and went on pressing. Both reached around 150 when I gave in and let it go, but kept on following. It was tough keeping up with the diesel torque. It was the slightly unruly traffic unwilling to give way to the Fortuner that allowed me to keep up. On straight lines Fortuner seemed to be a very very capable car. It can carry 3 digit speeds for long distances casually. It clearly shows why despite the pricetag it is selling like hot cake.
sadnabrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 15:22   #265
BHPian
 
sadnabrina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 347
Thanked: 105 Times
Default My Polo 1.6 crosses 5000 KM

All,
My Polo 1.6 have completed 5000 KMs today. Summary of my experience covering 2 months 19 days and 5000 KMs -

1) Minor rattle from the boot floor board - fixed by the workshop by pasting additional sponge buffers underneath the board
2) Rocking drivers seat - fixed by the workshop by tightening the bolts (claimed that it was not properly tightened after fitting the seat covers - by their mechanics only)
3) Reached a top speed of 163 kmph with 4.5 passengers and with AC on.
4) Average FE has improved and stands at 11+ (Tank full to tank full) with full time AC. Highway runs returning 14.5 to 15 as per MID.
5) MID FE is usually 0.8 to 1.0 kmpl off (more) the acutal FE (TF to TF).
6) 3rd gear at 30 kmph, 4th at 40 and 5th at 50 returns excellent FE. 3rd gear best after 30 kmph.
7) Minor squeak from the doors (possibly from the rubber lining between the doors and body) - need to take to the workshop.
8) 4 punctures till date - Kolkata roads
9) Paintwork not the hardest - marks/scratches on the door around the handle caused by nails (the top coat is possibly not very hard)
10) Possibly need some adjustment of the brakes - seems to have lost some bite.
11) Power steering veering slightly right - happened only once and solved by killing and starting the engine.
12) ABS kicks in quick. Have experienced at least 3 times on hard braking. The ABS sound might be a bit scary to the uninitiated (feels like something is broken :-) ).
sadnabrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 17:01   #266
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,722
Thanked: 1,253 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina View Post
My Polo 1.6 have completed 5000 KMs today.
3) Reached a top speed of 163 kmph with 4.5 passengers and with AC on.
Congratulations, a couple of queries though

What happened to the other 0.5 half of the passenger Just kidding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina View Post
4) Average FE has improved and stands at 11+ (Tank full to tank full) with full time AC. Highway runs returning 14.5 to 15 as per MID.
Do check again as my 2.0 liter engine Cedia gives similar mileage. 11~12 in the city and 12~13 on the highway, fully loaded and 100% ac. The 1.2 Liter should give better unless it is running strained. In which case the 1.6 should return better figures.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 17:36   #267
BHPian
 
sadnabrina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 347
Thanked: 105 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Congratulations, a couple of queries though

What happened to the other 0.5 half of the passenger Just kidding!
The other 0.5 half of the kid needs to grow up. 8 more years to be considered as 1.0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Do check again as my 2.0 liter engine Cedia gives similar mileage. 11~12 in the city and 12~13 on the highway, fully loaded and 100% ac. The 1.2 Liter should give better unless it is running strained. In which case the 1.6 should return better figures.
It is typical of European engines to exhibit poorer FE as compared to the Jap cousins. It is dependant on the way they are tuned. Remember the (in)famous Palio 1.6 which returned below 10 kmpl.
sadnabrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 17:45   #268
Senior - BHPian
 
planet_rocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bong-land
Posts: 2,320
Thanked: 365 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina View Post
It is typical of European engines to exhibit poorer FE as compared to the Jap cousins. It is dependant on the way they are tuned. Remember the (in)famous Palio 1.6 which returned below 10 kmpl.
Strongly agree - but some team BHPians (or is it just one member) manage to extract 12KPL in city traffic. I have never managed above 8KPL in the city. High way figures are much better.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 9th November 2010 at 17:48.
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 18:59   #269
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 442
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
Strongly agree - but some team BHPians (or is it just one member) manage to extract 12KPL in city traffic. I have never managed above 8KPL in the city. High way figures are much better.
I am getting a minimum of 11 kmpl on my Polo 1.6 in city b2b traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina View Post
All,
My Polo 1.6 have completed 5000 KMs today. Summary of my experience covering 2 months 19 days and 5000 KMs -

1) Minor rattle from the boot floor board - fixed by the workshop by pasting additional sponge buffers underneath the board
2) Rocking drivers seat - fixed by the workshop by tightening the bolts (claimed that it was not properly tightened after fitting the seat covers - by their mechanics only)
3) Reached a top speed of 163 kmph with 4.5 passengers and with AC on.
4) Average FE has improved and stands at 11+ (Tank full to tank full) with full time AC. Highway runs returning 14.5 to 15 as per MID.
5) MID FE is usually 0.8 to 1.0 kmpl off (more) the acutal FE (TF to TF).
6) 3rd gear at 30 kmph, 4th at 40 and 5th at 50 returns excellent FE. 3rd gear best after 30 kmph.
7) Minor squeak from the doors (possibly from the rubber lining between the doors and body) - need to take to the workshop.
8) 4 punctures till date - Kolkata roads
9) Paintwork not the hardest - marks/scratches on the door around the handle caused by nails (the top coat is possibly not very hard)
10) Possibly need some adjustment of the brakes - seems to have lost some bite.
11) Power steering veering slightly right - happened only once and solved by killing and starting the engine.
12) ABS kicks in quick. Have experienced at least 3 times on hard braking. The ABS sound might be a bit scary to the uninitiated (feels like something is broken :-) ).
Congrats, sadnabrina! I got mine 1 week after yours I think and we have managed only a measly 1,600-odd kms.

Actually I felt the paint quality was pretty good. A few days back I inadvertently banged the door against the kerb. When I checked, there was not even a scratch. Are the scratch marks on the handle, or in the depression or all around the handle itself?
nowwhat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 19:17   #270
BHPian
 
sadnabrina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 347
Thanked: 105 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
I am getting a minimum of 11 kmpl on my Polo 1.6 in city b2b traffic.
planet_rocker was talking about the Palio 1.6. That is well known for its drinking habits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Congrats, sadnabrina! I got mine 1 week after yours I think and we have managed only a measly 1,600-odd kms.
Don't worry. My Swift used to do 1500 / month. The Polo is doing around 2000, thanks to my son. He now regularly misses his school bus to get dropped in the Polo (6 KMs on a 6 lane highway).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Actually I felt the paint quality was pretty good. A few days back I inadvertently banged the door against the kerb. When I checked, there was not even a scratch. Are the scratch marks on the handle, or in the depression or all around the handle itself?
The scratch marks are on the depression on the door. Not deep scratches, rather very light marks but visible. The Swift after 5 years of abuse had less (similar) scratch marks. There is something strange about the paint. A minor knock while opening the door gave me a 2 sq mm of missing paint on one of the door's edge. While a major brush (the car ) with a taxi left only a minor spot on the front left wheel arch (on the bumper actually).
sadnabrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2013 Flash Red VW Polo 1.6 GT TDI Ownership Report psuraj Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 66 20th October 2017 15:37
My 2014 VW Polo 1.5 TDI : First Ownership Report. EDIT, 10000 kms up Zigor Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 116 25th April 2016 16:35
VW Polo GT TSI - Officially Unofficial Review and Initial Ownership Report prithwi-81 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 261 3rd April 2016 18:34
VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report chase_nt Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 113 7th March 2016 18:11
New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold! Chethan B G Long-Term Ownership Reviews 1220 24th November 2013 21:04


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:19.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks