Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 26th April 2007, 13:52   #241
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
I did not like the Fiesta much but today i just went to have a look and i must admit i was totally suprised. The cars built quality is light years ahead of the rest, the doors close with a massive thunk, the handling is excellent and the brakes are superb too on those 175 MRFs, wonder what it would stop with 195, 205.

I liked the small touches like the bonnet opening lever which comes out, all doors locking from co-drivers side, DTE.

What i didnot like was the gearshift and the cost of service and 6666 for one alloy which looks worst then a wheel cap??

Wondering what the 1.6 would be like to drive.

Conclusion - The Fiesta is a amazing car and could do with more power and a better price, currently 9.15L OTR Navi Mumbai.
I very mush agree with your observations here. BUSA.
I took the Fiesta 1.6 to speeds upto 120kmph on the NICE road here in Bangalore during the test drive and slammed the brakes hard. I was impressed with the braking on stock tyres.

I believe the feature wherein the co-driver is able to lock all the doors is standard on all Fords. Even my Ikon has the same as part of its central locking.

You say you didnt like the gearshift?? Maybe you need to try the Aveo here. Clutch is hard, but gearshift is defintiely not that bad. The standard alloys provided looks crappy for sure.

Conclusion : The Fiesta truly deserves the place it has earned itself.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2007, 14:18   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Very recently, it overtook the NHC in sales. That says a lot.
This definitely speaks a lot about the car. A good number of buyers choosing Fiesta over the City inspite of the favored Japanese lineage that the City enjoys. Finally, the Fiesta is getting the respect (and the sales volume) that it deserves.
Su-47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2007, 15:54   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
This definitely speaks a lot about the car. A good number of buyers choosing Fiesta over the City inspite of the favored Japanese lineage that the City enjoys. Finally, the Fiesta is getting the respect (and the sales volume) that it deserves.
Do remember that most Fiesta sales are in diesel and not in petrol..

In petrol, till now it is NHC that leads but needs to see after SX4 launch.(slightly offtopic)
vvrchandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2007, 18:42   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Ya I know! This should help Honda realize that the Indian market *loves* diesel. And, its high time that they do something about it.
Old 27th April 2007, 11:56   #245
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post

In petrol, till now it is NHC that leads but needs to see after SX4 launch.(slightly offtopic)
Is it wrong on Ford's part to provide the public with a diesel option, just because Honda doesnt think it is required? Take the case of the Aveo, which is losing out mainly due to the lack of the diesel mill. Identifying what the market wants, and catering accordingly is the formula for a successful buisiness/sales.
Old 27th April 2007, 11:59   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Indian market *loves* diesel. And.
They love it because Diesel is Cheaper than Petrol.. Thats all..and the Indian Buyer.. Irrespective of a few dont consider the engine noise and vibrations.

Godfather
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2007, 12:02   #247
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
They love it because Diesel is Cheaper than Petrol.. Thats all..and the Indian Buyer.. Irrespective of a few dont consider the engine noise and vibrations.

Godfather
In the case of the TDCi Fiesta as also the VDi Swift, the cars are quite refined despite being diesels. Thats new diesel technology. Cant say about how they will behave in the long run, though.
Old 27th April 2007, 12:19   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
They love it because Diesel is Cheaper than Petrol.. Thats all..and the Indian Buyer.. Irrespective of a few dont consider the engine noise and vibrations.Godfather
You are right, for most junta it is not *love* but financial prudence. I don't see anything wrong with that!

For rest of us torque-suckers, we *really* love diesel. Case in point is Swift-D: Swift-P may be faster on paper, but the way diesel delivers power is simply awesome. I drove diesel and petrol ones back to back, and I love diesel, despite its much higher price tag!
Old 15th May 2007, 20:51   #249

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Most sundays of my week have a test-drive component, and what better car to test today than Fords promising new C segment sedan.
- A true all-rounder. 'Nuff said.

GTO

Edit on 8th March 2006. : A highly detailed comparo between the Fiesta and the NHC has been uploaded to this post as an excel sheet attachment. All credit to Team-BHP "Suman" for preparing the same. Thanks!
nice unbaised review GTO, i can see indian minds are more towards honda city even if they dont offer performance.Car such has mondeo has failed in india but cars such as accord and sonata sells. People should start thinking out of box and stop herd mentality.Honda has much more snob value than actual performance.

Note from the Support Staff: Please avoid quoting large posts in the entirety. Thank you.
now_abhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2007, 15:35   #250
GTO
Team-BHP Support

now_abhi, The Fiesta recently overtook the NHC in sales. Yes, that can be attributed to the diesel option but its still an achievement.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2007, 15:53   #251
BHPian

@Now_abhi I totally agree with you.
Just like to add that Ford mondeo is a great car but unfortunately hasn't worked in India though it is one of the best selling cars in Europe.
scarlet.fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2007, 16:52   #252
BHPian

Default fiesta updates / facelifts

question: Is the newer version of the Fiesta (facelift and / or 1.6 TDCi) anywhere near launch in India? I've booked the fiesta diesel, but this question keeps nagging me.

cheers
pow3r2dawh33ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2007, 19:03   #253
Senior - BHPian

Not this year atleast. As per sources it coming mid 2008 with the 1.6 TDCi.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2007, 00:03   #254
BHPian

BUSA: Thanks for the heads up.
pow3r2dawh33ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2007, 15:36   #255
Senior - BHPian

I went in for a 1.6 sxi ABS in March 2007, after several test drives of Fiesta, Verna and Honda City VTEC. I eliminated Verna in the beginning (felt the diesel was better), and did a lot of research in forums like Orkut, etc on both Fiesta and City VTEC.
My heart went out for the Fiesta, though I was cautioned in forums that the Honda will fetch a better resale value, though costlier by 90 K.
I do agree that there is more leg room at the rear in the City, and that the controls for wipers and turn signal indicators are on the correct side (like my WagonR and 800 which I have been driving for past 17 years), but that was all. In all other respects I found the Fiesta better---it had better feel, more sporty, better brakes (ABS), more attention to detail,etc. One more factor weighed in favour of the Fiesta--it was a Ford, and I was very, very nostalgic about the blue logo that I was used to since early childhood---my grandpa was an authorised Ford dealer during the days of the Raj! My dad too had owned a Ford Consul during my childhood. What I regret is that neither he or my grandpa are around to know that their descendant has reposed faith in a product they were selling !
I have so far covered 2500 kms, and getting a FE of 10 to 12 in Hyd city driving. I took it for a real fast drive to Srisailam 2 weeks ago, and it gave me an FE of 14, which I feel is not bad compared to the ghat section and speeds of 100 to 150.
The cost was 8.35 on road, with ABS and alloys, after getting a corporate discount of 15 K and a Nokia CK 7W hands free set free--costs Till date, I have no regrets, and even do not feel bad for not waiting for the SX4. I test drove an SX4 last week and did not find it to be as good as the Fiesta. Only thing in its favour were the airbags and the integrated audio controls on the steering wheel.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote